As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My computer just played jingle bells at me?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I was playing Dota 2 in vent, fullscreen windowed mode, and suddenly the volume mixer I had open became the focused tab and a midi of jingle bells started playing. A few weeks ago, I swear I heard someone say "hey!" while sitting on vent, and someone told me they thought that was a virus they had heard of.

So, is that what happened? Did I just have a random tab open that decided to jingle bells me? What's up with that?

SniperGuy on

• StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    Check your Task Manager (processes) for any weird instances of applications. Check msconfig for any weird startup programs or services. The final solution is to run a Spybot Search & Destroy scan to fix anything that might be left behind. This sounds pretty weird, to be honest. Virus scan is a definite course of action. I would also try to revert to a previous saved state, if you have that feature turned on.

Jingle Bells? Seriously?

StrifeRaZoR.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jingle Bells? Seriously?

I know, right? I worked tech support for a few years and never heard of this. I definitely did a microsoft security essentials scan, got nothing. For some bizarre ass reason I don't have spybot installed, so I'll check that. I'm doing a MalwareBytes scan now.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was gonna say, I dunno if that's malware but seriously, random Jingle Bells and randomly saying something when you're on Vent? That would be sucha masterstroke that I would be kind of reluctant to actually remove the virus. Anyway, what you've already done would be my suggestions, so best of luck.

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    Its been a couple of years since I've used vent, but I remember it having the ability to play sounds unless you disable it.

DeShadowC wrote: »
    Its been a couple of years since I've used vent, but I remember it having the ability to play sounds unless you disable it.

I do have those disabled in vent. The weirdest thing to me is how it changed which window was in focus. Suddenly my volume mixer was in front of dota.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    My old computer (in like, 1997) played Fur Elise when a component on the logic board was failing, and I was going to be amused if this thread was about an ancient computer.

How did you get jingle bells to stop playing?

It just went away after a bit. It didn't last very long.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    It's not possible that it could have been a random Flash ad on some website you had in the background (possibly both times something weird happened), is it? It is because of my great hatred of ads with sound on webpages, and my great love of security, that I always run Noscript (my priorities may even be in that order). I would never use a browser that didn't have at least some Noscript-like ability.

• GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    What else did you have running? I know for a looooong time I couldn't figure out for the life of me what some weird sound was - it turned out Trillian had a very weird sound set as the log in/out for one of the groups on my contact list, and since I was usually in WoW or something by the time I'd actually tab out to look it wasn't showing what had happened anymore