As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about an awesome RTS game [Age of Empires]

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    it's a pipe dream but I hope this means multi patches brutal legend style

a man can dream

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    it's a pipe dream but I hope this means multi patches brutal legend style

a man can dream

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    what does that style entail?

aRkpc.gif
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Super super super excited about this.

Back in the day, we used to play AoE2 in 8-man groups, following a particular set of rules which we called Shimo-Style.

It was amazing. Here's a description which I took from deep in the internet's past:
    Imagine a world where the noblest of rulers succumb to their ambitions, where back stabbing and hasty alliances are common place, where a friendly welcome one moment can turn into a dagger at your throat the next. Paranoia torments the most powerful of kings as doubt of even the most sacred alliance is a constant reminder that trust is a luxury that can’t be afforded. The richest lands are swept up in poverty, as once laden gold mines grow dry. Delicate trade alliances, the last bastions of peace in the world, hang in the balance as the glory of victory eventually consumes all from within.

Welcome, to the world of Shimo-Style Age of Kings.

These are the official rules and standardized settings for Shimo-Style Aok. Any revisions will be posted in the news, as well as being updated here.

Settings:

At minimum the game should have 5 players, less than that and the game becomes either a 2v2, 1v2 or 1v1 respectively.

Game Type: Regicide Map
    Type: Players Discretion *Personally I recommend migration but any map works.
    Map Size: Gigantic
    Difficulty: Irrelevant
    Resources: Default Population: 200
    Game Speed: Slow *This is to make communicating between players more viable.
    Starting Age: Default
    Reveal Map: Normal
    Team Together: Disabled
    Lock Speed: Enabled
    Lock Teams: Disabled
    Allow Cheat: Disabled
    All Tech: Disabled

Rules:

1. At the beginning of the game, players must set everyone to the neutral diplomatic stance.
    2. Absolutely no allied victories are allowed. The last player left is the victor. *This rule is particularly important because it prevents against alliances dominating the game, as they will eventually have to turn on one another. NOTICE: There are no rules against rushing, etc. I feel that rules will only negatively affect the game because of the nature of rules. However, in this game, there are serious drawbacks in rushing, because of the emphasis on diplomacy. In a normal game a rusher doesn't have to worry so much about any repercussions resulting from rushing. In this game, the player is forced to think about the consequences of taking any hostile action against another player because of existence of a world community.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I played the Byzantines because they had access to the most technologies therefore they were obviously the best.

Duh.

I wonder if they will still have that bug where you can queue up infinite farm reseeds if you pause the game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It is good to be the king!

AOE3 is still a staple of my LAN parties, if only because its one of the most modern games that still lets you get away with player 4 player LAN games with only one disc, and I can't find AOE2 :(

Mr Ray on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Are there any civs in this game that are really underpowered/overpowered?

I would like to try out the multi when it gets on steam, but I never played it before and would enjoy not having my ass kicked.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I think AoE was fairly balanced. There are some civs that often require a specific playstyle to work well (i.e. rush early or you'll be on your backfoot the rest of the game), but most of them are pretty balanced.

Koreans, Vikings and Saracens get a bit hosed on maps without water. Huns lose out on a significant advantage if the pop limit is low. Some of the civs lose out on bonuses/potential advantages if the game starts later (e.g. in the Imperial Age).

Most I recall seeing is pally rushes (maximum number of paladins you can fit in a group), and you can do those with like 8 different civs, particularly if you have bloodlines (cavalry HP+), husbandry (cavalry speed+), the blacksmith upgrades for cavalry (armor and attack+) and, of course. the ability to make paladins. Civs with ranged special units tend to breed massed special unit attacks. Chinese often had cho ku nu rushes (Chinese unique unit with a semi-auto crossbow). English longbows have ridiculous range (I think a trebuchet was the only thing that ouranged them, but a fully upgraded siege onager may have too);Turks had plenty of jannisary + cannon rushes. Persians (war elephants) and Teutons (teutonic knights) also tended to be massed, but were slow, difficult-to-kill units (monks/pikes for elephants, lots of archers for teutonic knights).

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I just pulled out my Age of Mythology disc and had a game of that with a friend yesterday and it was great

that game is still probably my favorite in the series with AoE2 oh so close behind

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I was a balance designer for Online, mainly the Champion Mode 1v1 PvP but I also helped with some PvE and user experience work.

I discovered a handful of tricks in the game's engine that were strong enough to become standard techniques in competitive PvP. I also played in the weekly balance challenge a few times, where community players fought members of our balance team. The challenge has lived on in one form or another even though active development ended.

Persians for life!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Age of Empires II and Leauge of Legends are the only two computer games my wife plays. I can't wait for the HD Edition.

Teutons for ever.
    RAIDING PARTY!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Are there any civs in this game that are really underpowered/overpowered?

I would like to try out the multi when it gets on steam, but I never played it before and would enjoy not having my ass kicked.

It's been a while since I played but I have vague memories of the Koreans being really good at defense. They might get tower upgrades for free or something like that. I've always found that strategy to be easier (and more fun) than the rushing most people do.

Also, to hype myself up for this I'm gonna watch Kingdom of Heaven director's cut.

Man, I got the AoE 2+3 bundle pack off steam, but AoE 3 is just no AoE 2.

The HD version needs to come out already!

This game will unlock in approximately 2 weeks, 6 days and 23 hours

Not soon enough!

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I am hoping the animations are better! I tried to play this a while back and it really killed me. I know, I'm spoiled now a days.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Got an email a few days ago from Steam, was confused for a couple minutes till I realized my bro gifted me a copy of the game! :D Fuck yes!

I am hoping the animations are better! I tried to play this a while back and it really killed me. I know, I'm spoiled now a days.

You are spoiled.

I'm not sure how good the animations can get -- the HD version is still 2D. Which means that units turning around will still look weird.

I suspect that it'll be worth it though.

edited March 2013
    So, I think I want to organize a Diplomatic Free-for-all game when AoE2 HD comes out.

Gathering players might be tough -- is anyone interested?

If it goes well, I might even ask for everyone's replays from the game (so I can get your secret backstabby chat logs) and record a commentary.

Rules below:
    Imagine a world where the noblest of rulers succumb to their ambitions, where back stabbing and hasty alliances are common place, where a friendly welcome one moment can turn into a dagger at your throat the next. Paranoia torments the most powerful of kings as doubt of even the most sacred alliance is a constant reminder that trust is a luxury that can’t be afforded. The richest lands are swept up in poverty, as once laden gold mines grow dry. Delicate trade alliances, the last bastions of peace in the world, hang in the balance as the glory of victory eventually consumes all from within.

Welcome, to the world of Shimo-Style Age of Kings.

These are the official rules and standardized settings for Shimo-Style Aok. Any revisions will be posted in the news, as well as being updated here.

Settings:

At minimum the game should have 5 players, less than that and the game becomes either a 2v2, 1v2 or 1v1 respectively.

Game Type: Regicide Map
    Type: Players Discretion *Personally I recommend migration but any map works.
    Map Size: Gigantic
    Difficulty: Irrelevant
    Resources: Default Population: 200
    Game Speed: Slow *This is to make communicating between players more viable.
    Starting Age: Default
    Reveal Map: Normal
    Team Together: Disabled
    Lock Speed: Enabled
    Lock Teams: Disabled
    Allow Cheat: Disabled
    All Tech: Disabled

Rules:

1. At the beginning of the game, players must set everyone to the neutral diplomatic stance.
    2. Absolutely no allied victories are allowed. The last player left is the victor. *This rule is particularly important because it prevents against alliances dominating the game, as they will eventually have to turn on one another. NOTICE: There are no rules against rushing, etc. I feel that rules will only negatively affect the game because of the nature of rules. However, in this game, there are serious drawbacks in rushing, because of the emphasis on diplomacy. In a normal game a rusher doesn't have to worry so much about any repercussions resulting from rushing. In this game, the player is forced to think about the consequences of taking any hostile action against another player because of existence of a world community.

I'll probably make it Migration, just FYI. That's the best for this style of play for sure.

Melkster on
    I'll play if I can. School and stuff.

Tomorrow if you preordered! Pre-loading know so I can get in a few games before school tomorrow.

Tomorrow if you preordered! Pre-loading know so I can get in a few games before school tomorrow.

Wait seriously? Omg.

Buying now.

More people need to purchase this game. Gotta get some diplomatic FFA.

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Just to clarify you still have until april 9th to preorder and get early access. I'm probably going to be dropping cash on it tomorrow if my check is looking beefy.

Do it, inky. Do it.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Alright. Fine. Bought. I guess I'm down for any and all multiplayer. Let's go all the way down this rabbit hole. Again.

Dammit.

Now I actually have to remember how to play this game.

Excellent. All of you please me.

edited April 2013
    Is there a specific time that the game will unlock tomorrow? The countdown is only for the actual release. And gosh this game looks pretty, I didn't play a whole bunch of AoE2 but I still get some nostalgia feels from looking at those screen shots.

Also I just realized if enough people buy this then maybe there will be an Age of Mythology HD? That would be awesome.

Inkyblots on
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Is there a specific time that the game will unlock tomorrow? The countdown is only for the actual release. And gosh this game looks pretty, I didn't play a whole bunch of AoE2 but I still get some nostalgia feels from looking at those screen shots.

Also I just realized if enough people buy this then maybe there will be an Age of Mythology HD? That would be awesome.

10am pacific time I think

Ah yes I just found that out myself trying to find more info on the game so I think that's right, thanks.

Inkyblots wrote: »

10am pacific time I think

There is something about the higher bit 2d games that just has a timeless look to it to me.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm excited! I can't wait for it to unlock and play a couple of games before work!

JtgVX0H.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered this for me and the wife. She borrowed my copy when we first start dating and I didn't see it again until we moved in together about a year later. Hopefully she'll be game for doing some CPU stomp. No idea if I'm going to do any competitive or not. Been ages since I've played this.

I was only a teensy bit competitive with AoK, and even then I mostly just came up with ridiculous builds:

- Monk rush, lols, converting their entire team to my own
    - Proxy castle in their base
    - Turtle til I get bombard cannons and build them all over the map

Stupid stuff like that.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    One of my friends and I used to play the first AoE on The Zone and we'd call each other up and join the same game and secretly ally (or at least not attack each other) and we'd send peons to each other in case one of us died we could rebuild.

We would also build a ton of peons once we started to get our asses kicked and scatter them all over the maps and hide them everywhere, sometimes carving a path through a forest and hiding in the middle. That's why I tried to always choose green as my color, so it would be harder to spot them on the minimap. Then while they spent literally hours searching for us I'd walk across the street to my friend's house and we'd laugh and laugh as people either quit in frustration or sent us death threats.

JtgVX0H.png
    The quick match option seems to crash my computer. Thats...not good.

Hm, supposedly there are reports of the game having performance issues. Not a good sign...

I have already seen a graphics bug, and the achievements appear to be broken.

Well I'm not too worried yet, I had no problems while I was playing and hopefully this means they can fix the issues before the real release in 5 days

• CCSCCS Registered User regular
    Anyone still play AoE3? Was playing my brother (who's new to it) on LAN earlier as Turks and the look on his face when 10 great bombards rolled into his base was priceless.

Playing now!

I see now why people thought there were framerate issues -- I think it's just that units have a certain animation speed.

Also, I'm having a weird experience with giving waypoints to a unit (by holding shift + right clicking). The unit goes to the first waypoint, then stops. If you give him any move order, he starts following his path again.

It's .. weird..