As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about an awesome RTS game [Age of Empires]

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    My god, I heard about this but thought it was months off. Totally just pre-ordered. And am downloading now.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I bought AoE3 but never got into it. Maybe a few skirmishes but I feel bad - it looked pretty. Though at the time the computer I had was pretty crappy.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Ew..

So if you have multiple buildings selected and press 'build archer' multiple times, only the first building starts making archers. O.o

How are you supposed to build multiple archers at once from different buildings?

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Ew..

So if you have multiple buildings selected and press 'build archer' multiple times, only the first building starts making archers. O.o

How are you supposed to build multiple archers at once from different buildings?

Wait is that an actual feature in some RTS games?

because I have never noticed it but it sounds really useful

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So after a couple AI matches, it's starting to come back to me. Or, at least I'm starting to remember what specific stuff I don't remember. Cannot remember how many villagers is the proper number to put on a deer. Cannot remember where sheep fall on gather speed. Barely remember how many villagers to put on what and when to do so. Spent way too long trying to find proper unit commands and economic displays before stumbling on the advanced interface toggle and remembering that all of it is turned off by default.

Fucking hotkeys.

So many hotkeys.

...This is bad, guys. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be bad for me.
    Also, I'm having a weird experience with giving waypoints to a unit (by holding shift + right clicking). The unit goes to the first waypoint, then stops. If you give him any move order, he starts following his path again.

It's .. weird..
    Setting a waypoint doesn't confirm a move. You have to do a normal click after you've set your waypoints to actually give the unit a move command. The normal click will be where it will eventually stop.

edit:
    Ew..

I believe it used to be that it would spill over to the next building when you had a full queue, but I'm pretty sure the queue used to be 15 units. I'm not sure if there's a queue limit anymore, so that probably isn't practical. So you'll be clicking each individual building and then hotkeying to build a few units, which you can do pretty fast. That micro.

Monger on
    Ew..

Wait is that an actual feature in some RTS games?

because I have never noticed it but it sounds really useful

It's a feature of Starcraft 2.

IMO they should just take all the features from SC2's UI and implement them here.

Or! I wonder if the UI is moddable at all? Hmm.

Monger wrote: »
    Also, I'm having a weird experience with giving waypoints to a unit (by holding shift + right clicking). The unit goes to the first waypoint, then stops. If you give him any move order, he starts following his path again.

It's .. weird..
    Setting a waypoint doesn't confirm a move. You have to do a normal click after you've set your waypoints to actually give the unit a move command. The normal click will be where it will eventually stop.

That's a very strange design decision.

This game came out kind of a long time ago.

It was a simple time.

Things were different then.

the only thing that really annoys me about the controls in this is that I still can't select as many units as possible which was something I hoped would be expanded for the HD release because I assumed it was a limitation of the pathfinding engine in the old game

Same problem with Age of Mythology which I've been playing recently, its a pain having a bunch of different controls groups making up my one army

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Monger wrote: »
    So after a couple AI matches, it's starting to come back to me. Or, at least I'm starting to remember what specific stuff I don't remember. Cannot remember how many villagers is the proper number to put on a deer. Cannot remember where sheep fall on gather speed. Barely remember how many villagers to put on what and when to do so. Spent way too long trying to find proper unit commands and economic displays before stumbling on the advanced interface toggle and remembering that all of it is turned off by default.

Fucking hotkeys.

So many hotkeys.

...This is bad, guys. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be bad for me.

It's .. weird..

edit:
    Ew..

I believe it used to be that it would spill over to the next building when you had a full queue, but I'm pretty sure the queue used to be 15 units. I'm not sure if there's a queue limit anymore, so that probably isn't practical. So you'll be clicking each individual building and then hotkeying to build a few units, which you can do pretty fast. That micro.

I think tab also switches between active buildings in a single group. Granted, This was forever ago, and I sucked.

Fencingsax on
    Old custom maps totally work.

On to seeing how terrible all these rms maps I made years ago are.

Then to scouring the internet for Castle Blood.

Well 7 year old me was not that good at Age of Empires 2 so I hadn't actually gotten past the second mission of the Joan of Arc campaign

but finally I've done it, only took 12 years or so

BF0EDE6BD2890A19F00E4BC8B3158C45CF461E5D

Your sacrifice for France will not be forgotten brave petards

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    500 unit population cap is the greatest thing. I've had the most amazing battles with friends.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Anyone want to play?

Message me if so.

I'm going to go ahead and put an open multiplayer invitation out there. If I'm on Steam, I'll probably be up to play some AoE.

I Didn't see your reply till just now @Monger.

Do we have a steam group?

Okay, what is this out of sync bs and how to I fix it?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Keeping getting sync errors as well

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Questions:

- How well does this work on Win 7?
    - Is this really "HD," like, improved graphics, or just slightly higher resolution?
    - For someone who prolifically played AoE2 in High School, is this worth 15 Samolians?
    - Do the Babylonians still kick ass and take names?

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The whole point is that it works on Win7

It is mostly the same graphics but in a civilized resolution

It's buggy as shit at the moment.

They haven't done any balance patches so I imagine your civ of choice is still a fine one indeed.

theSquid wrote: »
    -The whole point is that it works on Win7
    -It's buggy as shit at the moment.

This is why I asked "How Well," not "Does it." Couple of contradictory statements there!

:rotate:

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    - Is this really "HD," like, improved graphics, or just slightly higher resolution?
    I'm not sure you quite understand what "HD" means.

Priest wrote: »
    I'm not sure you quite understand what "HD" means.

To be fair, I don't think the industry knows what HD means. This is why I ask the question. HD, 4K, and all those words are tossed around so fancifully, that I'm suspect of anyone who rebrands a 15 year old product as "HD." That's why I ask, because, to me, if I were going to buy a product that has been graphically re-hashed, for 20 bucks, when I paid 40 for the original, I not only expect better resolution, but better art and effects in general.

• xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    It works fine for me. The only thing not working are achievements.

Cheevos done work that well, and I have seen some graphical glitches, but nothing too bad. The mulitiplayer can get really laggy, but I'm not sure if that's the game or people playing it with connections from 15 years ago.

I would not buy this game at the moment honestly.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Really? Why?

Man.

Longbowmen.

How do you even fight them.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man.

Longbowmen.

How do you even fight them.

Easily countered by longbowmen.

PSN: Honkalot
    One million skirmishers. You need to make all the skirmishers. They will eventually form a corpse pile high enough that you can't see the longbows anymore. And if you can't see it, it isn't there.

Problem solved.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Longbowmen have a kill limit of 80000 units, once they kill that many enemies they run out of arrows and shut down. Just send wave after wave of your own men at them until this happens.

Well then do killbots beat longbows, or do longbows beat killbots?

Also any good guides on how to run your economy. I have no idea how to villages I should before advance to the feudal age, during the feudal, castle, or post imperial. Or what number I should have on each resource.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yo, Age of Empires II is getting an expansion.

Well, kinda since it's basically uplifting a fan-mod (you can try it out here) to expansion status but still

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well that was unexpected.

Any excuse to play Poles (kinda) is fine by me though

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Still no discussion of Galactic Battlegrounds!?

:/

I've never played Forgotten Empire before (...or any mod of AoE II, for that matter). Fan made quality tends to be all over the board... how is that one, on a scale of 1 to 10?

With Love and Courage
    Galactic Battlegrounds was good fun.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    God, all this ensemble studio talk really makes me miss them. They went under for a number of reasons, right? I think Halowars played a part. I actually played it. Wasn't bad. But Microsoft's commitment to not bringing it to PC and the 180 degree they took from some visual and gameplay designs later on sealed Halowars' fate.

If you don't believe me, check this early E3 vid. Game looks really good! Visually they made it look way more 'cutesy' and saturated for release. They also got rid of base building. In the release you had one structure you added too. Lame.

Regarding AoEIII, you can put me in the group that certainly liked the game. Campaign was kind of weird,but I just really enjoyed the map maker. Excellent times. Did the same thing in AoM.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    God, all this ensemble studio talk really makes me miss them. They went under for a number of reasons, right? I think Halowars played a part. I actually played it. Wasn't bad. But Microsoft's commitment to not bringing it to PC and the 180 degree they took from some visual and gameplay designs later on sealed Halowars' fate.

If you don't believe me, check this early E3 vid. Game looks really good! Visually they made it look way more 'cutesy' and saturated for release. They also got rid of base building. In the release you had one structure you added too. Lame.

Regarding AoEIII, you can put me in the group that certainly liked the game. Campaign was kind of weird,but I just really enjoyed the map maker. Excellent times. Did the same thing in AoM.

I think Halo Wars was doomed from the get-go. RTS never has really translated well to console; it was a decent attempt, and the cursor part actually worked surprisingly well, but hotkeys are such a cornerstone of a good RTS game that a controller just won't cut it.

As I understand it, Ensemble was forced into a corner by MS, who was no longer interested in making PC games for a variety of reasons. It's not exactly simple to transition from being a developer of a specific game genre that works well on one platform to a new platform that isn't at all suitable for said genre. :/

EDIT: If the Kinect II with it's finger recognition and OH SO IMPROVED TECH actually works worth half a damn, I could see RTS making a move onto X Box One. 1-finger gesture, select group 1. 2-finger gesture, select group 2. Etc.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage