As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about an awesome RTS game [Age of Empires]

124»

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The official unofficial expansion to Age of Empires II: Age of Kings is here!

Forgotten Empires is live! Download it off Steam (in the form of the latest patch)!

It's like I'm in grade school again! An AoE 2 expansion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2PEXEO2ga0

Oh lord.

Free to play mobile AoE.

Those animations.

That character design.

That Joan de Arc voice.

Make it stop!

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Between that and the new mobile Roller Coaster tycoon, I wish we all still had flip phones.

Shadowfire
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    At least we'll be getting Age of Mythology soon enough.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Can we talk about Age of Mythology here?

Because I totally won a copy of the new Steam release at Pax East.

Time to make ALL the maps!

• Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    I might have cried a little bit when I saw AoM coming to Steam. It was far and away my favorite of these games. I cannot wait.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Seems this is the most recent thread to post this:

I've been playing lots of AoE III on my modest laptop. Looking forward to more stuff.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    made by relic

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    made by relic
    Holy shit. What a weird turn of events. I wonder if it's going to be anything like the other AoE games or if it'll be more of a Relic RTS.

DarkMecha
    Oh man, it's so nice to see this series come back. The expansions for AoE2 were great, we're getting AoE1 remastered, and now AoE IV?

FencingsaxDarmakBRIAN BLESSED
    The History of Age of Empires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4AfZqb9pxY

There is a few more clips in the channel.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Age of Empires1 remaster Windows 10 only. Bullshit

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Age of Empires1 remaster Windows 10 only. Bullshit

And AoE4. I feel slightly guilty about wanting it to flop horribly.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I love the idea of the renewal of Age of Empires.

I'm not sure how I feel about doing something that revisits the previous Ages instead of going post-AoE3, but at the same time I'm sure there's a lot of boss things possible they could do, design-wise, that would make it worth seeing the Stone Age again.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love the idea of the renewal of Age of Empires.

I'm not sure how I feel about doing something that revisits the previous Ages instead of going post-AoE3, but at the same time I'm sure there's a lot of boss things possible they could do, design-wise, that would make it worth seeing the Stone Age again.

Honestly the early AoE1 civilizations were my favorite, 2's were okay, and 3's were my least favorite. If they remade 1 but with lots of new features that'd make me happy (not just talking about the HD remake of 1, but basically an entirely new game with more units, complex features, etc. Which I guess is what 4 is, but I only want the older civs)

JtgVX0H.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    There were things I really didn't like about 3 as compared to 2, but damnit if that home shipments and being able to unlock things for your home city didn't have my supremely addicted to playing 3 for many more hours than I would have otherwise. In fact, it's probably time to install 3 again and unlock everything for a civilization I've never played before.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I still play AOE2 somewhat regularly. I am also pretty much always the Byzantines.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Aridhol
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I still play AOE2 somewhat regularly. I am also pretty much always the Byzantines.

The king of trash wars.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

xmusic1.mid remastered sounds pretty good.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited August 2017
    From Game Informer: Bruce Shelley on designing Age of Empires

https://youtu.be/9Bf_ZLr2rHA?t=1h49m25s

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm gonna bump this eight year old thread about a twenty year old game most recently posted in four years ago to say:

With the release of the definitive edition, this game is experiencing something of a renaissance an imperial age, particularly on my computer. I've been playing a bit of online, and a lot of the campaigns, which actually hold up pretty darn well.

Are any other millennials reliving their middle school vacations in the same way I have been?

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    ShadowfireFencingsax
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was playing AoE2HD last year when quarantine started, but not recently.

Guess I'll reinstall it again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm also still shaking in my boots at the memory of the last moment in that AoEIV trailer where a monk lays down an entire area of effect convert. Absolutely shook

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I've been watching games here and there for maybe a year now. if anyone is playing and wants to add me on steam, I could see putting in a little time to have a clue how it works.

it was nice to add this to starcraft in the world of RTS games I enjoy. I watch war3 very sparingly and tbh and mostly an FGC head these days but rts is my first competitive love and AoE2 is a gorgeous game to watch, visually really beautiful to me, so I definitely enjoy it.

I follow a handful of youtube/twitch accounts and day9 just recently played it and I saw he has a playlist of educational stuff. I'm sure there's more out there too.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    The big content creators are Spirt of the Law (stuff like civ overviews and unit match ups. Some stuff might be outdated due to updates), T90 (caster of professional games, host of the Hidden Cup Tournament), and The Viper (#1 Pro player in the world, but others have given him a run for the money recently).

If you want to learn how to play, the Definitive Edition has a "Art of War" mode that helps. But learning a basic build order for fast Castle into knights will also improve your play so much. From there you can learn a scout rush, archer play, or fast Castle into boom.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    or you can just do whatever, and get matched against other people who just do whatever. Which is where T90's other thing comes in, where he casts the lowest ELO games he can get his hands on, which are usually pretty fun.

There's also the age-old tradition of comp stomps, which are a nice way to test out a new civ.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Basically the community is probably the biggest its been in years, so if you play enough you will eventually be matched up with players of your skill level.

Although I still enjoy the experience of 4v4 Black Forest versus the Extreme AI. Always fun.