Options

[PA Comic] Monday, March 4, 2013 - Engaging The Social Web

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Personally I don't care about any reviews from the PA guys anymore. Penny Arcade is just too big. They make too much money, have too many employees, and have conventions on two continents. It's nothing personal, it's just that when a business reaches a certain size they are no longer your friends. Just because they wear t-shirts to work and play ping pong doesn't mean they aren't part of the corporate machine. I think Jerry and Mike want it both ways. They want to be "those two guys making something in their garage" but they also want all the money and luxuries that come with being a large business. It doesn't work that way, it's one or the other. Do I think Microsoft paid Mike for a positive review? Not really. Can I be 100% sure? Not of someone who owns a company that big. It's the same thing with Penny Arcade Presents. If Nintendo pays Mike and Jerry to write a comic for the new Mario game, will they pretend to like it a little bit more than they do in the hopes of getting a second check when the next Mario game comes out? Maybe they would. I can't be sure. And the thing is, would it even be morally wrong to lie to us? If Mike pretending to like something more than he does, means more money for his children, wouldn't lying to us be the morally RIGHT thing to do?

I laughed pretty hard at this little spiel. You sir, are adorable.

What are your thoughts on the US staging of 9/11 and the dissemination of mind control chemicals into the water supply?

He's behind the petition on whitehouse.gov for the government to admit and halt the use of mind-controlling chemtrails.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Personally I don't care about any reviews from the PA guys anymore. Penny Arcade is just too big. They make too much money, have too many employees, and have conventions on two continents. It's nothing personal, it's just that when a business reaches a certain size they are no longer your friends. Just because they wear t-shirts to work and play ping pong doesn't mean they aren't part of the corporate machine. I think Jerry and Mike want it both ways. They want to be "those two guys making something in their garage" but they also want all the money and luxuries that come with being a large business. It doesn't work that way, it's one or the other. Do I think Microsoft paid Mike for a positive review? Not really. Can I be 100% sure? Not of someone who owns a company that big. It's the same thing with Penny Arcade Presents. If Nintendo pays Mike and Jerry to write a comic for the new Mario game, will they pretend to like it a little bit more than they do in the hopes of getting a second check when the next Mario game comes out? Maybe they would. I can't be sure. And the thing is, would it even be morally wrong to lie to us? If Mike pretending to like something more than he does, means more money for his children, wouldn't lying to us be the morally RIGHT thing to do?

Halfway through reading this, I was planning on writing a witty response ridiculing you for your goosieness. But then I read the rest of it and I think your stupid broke my brain parts. I hope you're happy.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    "And, on more than one occasion, I have seen you fall down a flight of stairs because you got a text message."

Laughed pretty hard at that line.

The funniest part for me is that Khoo is apparently looking at a document on the laptop while saying this... as if he's got these incidents in a spreadsheet for handy reference.

and you think he doesn't?

Of course he doesn't. He's got that shit on file mentally. He's just doing some other work at the same time.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I love his poses, and the use of the word "bandwidth" as time.

I also wanted to mention the light switch, but I got beat to it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    coconutcrowcoconutcrow Massachusetts, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    -

coconutcrow on
    Steam, Wii U, PSN: CoconutCrow
    3DS Friend Code: 4210-4889-9706
  • Options
    HeavyPHeavyP Registered User regular
    Isn't there a comic where they have a list of backup Gabes?

I mean Kurtz is right there guys. Let the man have a free motorcycle.

No, no, Kurtz has a new comic that he has to get bored with and abandon before he could pick up the reins of Penny Arcade. Give him a couple months and THEN Gabe can get a motorcycle.

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    To Roger Wilco: What everyone else said.

Re: The insurance policy, it's combination keyman and... well, it's a very specific policy re: Michael's arm. Think like J.Lo's butt.

This isn't your typical life insurance policy.

Some guy.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    See also:

1233160593_YRtLm-L.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2013
    double

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I would imagine that if they had ever wanted to "sell-out", as it were, it would have happened long ago when they might have been at a point where their voice carried weight, but their income wasn't quite there. Now (relatively speaking) that they're big, that Robert runs a very tight crew, etc, it would make zero sense for there to be any temptation or incentive to become "The Man", whatever that means.
    I just don't see it being a dilemma at all.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    InkarnitInkarnit Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    To Roger Wilco: What everyone else said.

Re: The insurance policy, it's combination keyman and... well, it's a very specific policy re: Michael's arm. Think like J.Lo's butt.

This isn't your typical life insurance policy.

That would be a policy through Lloyd's of London and wouldn't be tied to a life insurance policy really. There could be a separate life insurance policy written as a key-man policy but this would be more like a bodypart insurance policy that you are referencing.

EDIT: I just realized this was Khoo responding... in which case you know more about the actual policy than anyone. I suppose it is possible that there is some kind of accident rider or something on there but I have never seen these combined into one policy before. They are generally separate policies. I have not personally written any policies like this but I have insured prosthetic eyes and even Elton John's red piano!

Inkarnit on
  • Options
    I always hear that opera singers/Adele/whoever have voice insurance, master distillers have nose insurance, professional dancers have leg insurance, stuff like that. This is probably something similar.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I sort of wish I could insure my dick. Just because I think it should be done.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I can offer you record low premium and deductible rates.

• Options

Believe it or not, you can, in fact, insure your dick.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Inkarnit wrote: »

I know what I want for my birthday.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I always hear that opera singers/Adele/whoever have voice insurance, master distillers have nose insurance, professional dancers have leg insurance, stuff like that. This is probably something similar.

I wish I were good enough at something to need to insure part of my body. :/

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Raakam wrote: »
    I would imagine that if they had ever wanted to "sell-out", as it were, it would have happened long ago when they might have been at a point where their voice carried weight, but their income wasn't quite there. Now (relatively speaking) that they're big, that Robert runs a very tight crew, etc, it would make zero sense for there to be any temptation or incentive to become "The Man", whatever that means.
    I remember some time in the past when Tycho said that we would all know when they sold out, because we'd be able to go to McDonald's and order a Penny Arcade happy meal.
    Which kind of makes me sad, because getting a FruitFucker toy in a happy meal would make my day.

Unfortunately, I can't find the newspost, and it's entirely possible that this is a complete fabrication of my terrible memory.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Inkarnit wrote: »

I know what I want for my birthday.

So what you're saying is that I should dump all my money into starting a vanity insurance business?

We'll have the best dick policy in the world!

edit: now with the right quote!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Well, arguably anybody in a job where their company takes out a life insurance policy on them has their brain insured. Because what your employer is insuring is your knowledge/expertise.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular

What I don't understand is that apparently according to the words of many people on the internet (I can't cite a specific source at the moment), once someone becomes financially successful, popular, or influential; their opinions somehow become invalid and disingenuous. They have "sold out" and are suddenly being influenced and controlled by their peers, industry associates, or business partners. It doesn't make any kind of logical sense to me to jump to that conclusion. There is so much irrational vitriol spewed in PA's direction and I don't know where it comes from. I guess I just have to chalk it up to distrust and spite of those more successful.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Well, arguably anybody in a job where their company takes out a life insurance policy on them has their brain insured. Because what your employer is insuring is your knowledge/expertise.

Ah, good point. I like where your head's at!

(Heyo!)

• Options

What I don't understand is that apparently according to the words of many people on the internet (I can't cite a specific source at the moment), once someone becomes financially successful, popular, or influential; their opinions somehow become invalid and disingenuous. They have "sold out" and are suddenly being influenced and controlled by their peers, industry associates, or business partners. It doesn't make any kind of logical sense to me to jump to that conclusion. There is so much irrational vitriol spewed in PA's direction and I don't know where it comes from. I guess I just have to chalk it up to distrust and spite of those more successful.

See also - anyone who runs a reasonably successful kickstarter campaign is now "rich."

• Options
    edited March 2013

See also - anyone who runs a reasonably successful kickstarter campaign is now "rich."

I can vouch for that not being the case. I've been friends with one of the creators of Sentinels of the Multiverse for years, and he made more money working behind the counter at Starbucks.

theResetButton on
  • Options
    Right - I mean that everyone assumes that because you raised $half a million or whatever on your kickstarter, you can now hire butlers to fight to the death, when in actuality you actually have to spend all that money on, you know, the actual kickstarter project.

I remember seeing these comments over and over connected with the PA kickstarter and Amanda Palmer's thing.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Right - I mean that everyone assumes that because you raised $half a million or whatever on your kickstarter, you can now hire butlers to fight to the death, when in actuality you actually have to spend all that money on, you know, the actual kickstarter project.

I remember seeing these comments over and over connected with the PA kickstarter and Amanda Palmer's thing.

I think too, that part of it can be chalked up to the visibility of the funds. The majority of consumers in general aren't familiar with how much projects cost and all the work and expenses that go into them. When they see someone get hundreds of thousands of dollars for something, they don't see all the work, expensive tools, hours of planning and implementation and everything else that go into it. They just see that big number and think of all the other things it could be spent on or what they could do with it, etc, and the fact that most publishers and businesses don't make their budgets and budget breakdowns readily available.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I thought fights to the death were necessary to become mods on PA?

• Options

I thought fights to the death were necessary to become mods on PA?

Yes, but they don't allow butler proxies.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    For some reason I imagine Gabe backing out of the room holding that pose and immediately falling down a flight of stairs.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular

... but, Butler Death Match is my kickstarter project!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    "And, on more than one occasion, I have seen you fall down a flight of stairs because you got a text message."

Laughed pretty hard at that line.

The funniest part for me is that Khoo is apparently looking at a document on the laptop while saying this... as if he's got these incidents in a spreadsheet for handy reference.

he's probably working on something else. He's just a good risk manager: 'gabe getting a motorcycle' is just one of the many scenarios to which he has devoted research and planning time

also yeah, comickhoo appears to have some sort of accelerating head-growth-issue

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also 'circle back around' is my favorite corporate nonverb

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    takeaway points from this thread:

1) Gabe's arm is too big to fail

2) @Roger Wilco should not be trusted with posts

3) Khoo has literally thought of every contingency regarding PA's "megacorp" business. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar insurance policy re: Tycho's brain.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I think it's more likely he's got a team of developers working on the Text-Yielding Comedy Heuristic rev. 0, or TYCH-0, the algorithm that will eventually replace Tycho's brain.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular

3) Khoo has literally thought of every contingency regarding PA's "megacorp" business. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar insurance policy re: Tycho's brain.

Probably true about the Tycho's brain thing. Though it's probably simply a life insurance policy. Does life insurance pay out if you're in a persistent vegetative state?

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    also yeah, comickhoo appears to have some sort of accelerating head-growth-issue

You are quite naive if you think a web comic can get these kinds of hits if it isn't using HGH/Steroids.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Read the comic, laughed (especially at the "What if those people mean nothing to me?") line. Really laughed at the Khoo-speak, b/c it sounded like what he would actually say (I didn't know it was from a real twitter convo at the time).

Then decided to read it again. Saw the Pepsi can, which I had missed the first time. Laughed harder than I have at any PA comic in a while... hopped on the forums for the first time in a long time to see the comments about it. Happy Monday achieved! :)

• Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    There is this perverse belief that I see bandied about the interwebs wherein people hold a complete and total loathing for advertising and marketing, holding it at arm's length and with nose plugged, as if they don't live and breathe it every moment of your life. The only difference is which pieces you laud and which you decry.

Is marketing becoming less blatant? In some ways it's as blatant as it's ever been. In other instances it's become much softer. This is not a bad thing. This is a way of modern life. Trust the sources you hold dear. Just don't pretend like you've got wax in your ears while Odysseus is strapped to the mast.

• Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    This is the best PA strip I've read so far this year. Loved everything about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Probably true about the Tycho's brain thing. Though it's probably simply a life insurance policy. Does life insurance pay out if you're in a persistent vegetative state?

Good question, and the answer is: it depends. Many policies can come with a chronic illness rider which would indeed pay out in the case of a chronic illness such as a chronically vegetative state. Alternatively, you could have a disability policy which pays out monthly if you are unable to perform the duties of your job.