As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] The Extraordinaries (Game Thread)

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Gleam fires off a quick shot at the skiff's pilot.

Standard: Silvery Arrow vs AC of Gnoll Pilot: 1d20+16 31 1d8+9 15
    Effect: Next ally to hit the target before the end of my next turn deals +4 extra Radiant damage.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    had to sleep, will put in an action soon

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    hey @denada, does the professor still have that harpoon in him?

nevermind got something else in mind

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    "Hey! No flying away on us, you!"
    Yanking the pilot off the skiff.
    Lodestone Lure vs Will (aug 1): 1d20+17 29 5 5
    pulling the guy either 3 or 4 squares, whichever's far enough to just miss the window ledge.

Power Points left: 2

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I am waiting till @Denada posts more info on the skiff and who is on it before continuing

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Rusty: You pull yourself onto the deck of the skiff just in time to see Zeel come flying over...

Zeel:...landing with a flourish of martial arts moves that end up being largely ineffective. The skiff continues to bob and swerve as the pilot tries his best to defend himself while keeping the airship in the air. Even with all this movement...

Gleam:...a shot still hits home, drawing a spurt of blood from the pilot. Before he has a chance to react to that, though...

Thorfin:...he's pulled from the helm and almost dragged off the deck. His desperate flailing saves him at the last second (saving throw to avoid falling: success), his claws digging into the deck just before he would have been sent tumbling into the air, but that leaves the gnolls - and you - with a problem. The airship doesn't have a pilot, and the co-pilot is too busy defending himself from Zeel's strikes to take up the helm. This isn't one of those high-class airships that can pilot themselves, either. This is the kind of skiff that needs to be either docked or driven, and right now it's neither. It begins a rapid, uncontrolled descent, more commonly known as crashing.

The Gnolls: Having seen their kidnapping attempt suddenly go terribly, terribly wrong, the gnolls are understandably upset. One of them slashes at Rusty's head with his claws, but all he gets for his efforts is a little shower of sparks and the sudden feeling that he may have made a terrible mistake (Claws vs Rusty, targeting AC: miss). The two gnolls flanking the professor are doing all they can to keep him (and them) from tumbling off the skiff. The two remaining gnolls take the time to tether themselves to the deck, then draw their weapons: a spiked mace for one, a pair of katar for the other.

Everyone: Waera, Thorfin, and Gleam, you're at the window and the skiff is falling. Rusty, you're on deck, but now there's an angry gnoll in your face. Zeel, the pilot is prone at the edge of the deck, but the co-pilot is still here to trade blows with you.

What are you going to do?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    What type of action (minor, move or standard) would it be to change the skiff's course? Not necessarily pilot it, but temporarily keep it from continuing to dive?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Minor action with a successful Dungeoneering check (DC 15). Standard Action if you fail the check. You need to be next to the helm to affect the skiff (if you're on the deck and not already next to it, just say you're moving over to it). Right now Zeel is the only one next to the helm.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    How far away is the skiff from the window; the rough height and lateral distance?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    About 3 squares out from the window, and (now) 2 squares down.

• Options
    Zeel quickly takes the helm to delay everyone's demise for a little while.

Skiff course correction: 1d20+13 21 (Minor Action consumed)
    If possible, Zeel tries to keep the skiff close to the broken window.

His task successful, he turns to the co-pilot and punches him with a flaming fist.

Standard Action
    Blistering Flourish vs. Co-Pilot Reflex: 1d20+14 29 1d8+8 16 fire damage
    If it hits:
    1) Blistering Flourish bonus damage activates
    2) Zeel uses Desert Wind Flurry of blows, dealing 10 fire damage

Minor Action #2
    Use Skald's Aura on myself: 3d6+19 23 HP recovered (-1 healing surge)

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WHOOPS.jpg

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    any way you could whip up a position map, @Denada ?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm assuming we get full rounds of combat, now? If so...

Waera grimaces at the skiff before rolling to the side, concealing herself behind the edge of the window. Somewhere in the tumble, she sends a crossbow bolt spinning toward the co-pilot. Not waiting to see if the shot landed or not, she leans far around the corner and fires both crossbows at the two gnolls tethered in at the stern. "Keep that thing in one place, Zeel! We got your back!"

Standard Action:
    Shift up to six squares to the side of the window for partial concealment
    Shadow Steel Roll vs Co-Pilot's AC 1d20+18 33
    Damage: 1d6+10 15 Sneak Attack: 3d8+3 12 Total: 27
    Stealth: 1d20+15 19

Move action - used to make a minor action
    Snap Shot vs Rear Gnoll 1's AC: 1d20+18 26 1d6+10 13

Minor Action- Crossbow of Speed Encounter Power
    Ranged Basic Attack vs Rear Gnoll 2's AC: 1d20+18 19 1d6+10 15 (Natural 1)

Hidden Sniper: Grants combat advantage if I have partial cover against a target.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I am so glad right now that I trained Dungeoneering.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    "Damn. And here I was afraid I'd get through this stay in Sharn without jumping off a bloody great tower."

Thorfin moves back 2 squares, bellows to Moradin and makes a running leap at the skiff.

running jump with secondary dump stat (strength): 1d20+5 23 (divided by 5 (round down) for running jump): 4 squares!

I doubt that will overtake it, but if something happens that make me overtake or miss it, I will use Blurred Step to move one square in the direction needed.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ohskiff-1.png

Zeel: You manage to stop the descent of the skiff, and you even keep it more or less the same distance from the library. In between spinning the wheel and pulling on the correct levers, your expert strikes do quite a bit of damage to the co-pilot, who's looking pretty beaten and bloody before...

Waera:...a crossbow bolt suddenly replaces one of his eyes. The gnoll howls as he staggers backward, falling over the railing and off of the skiff. Your second shot also strikes true, although that gnoll seems well able to take the pain. The third misses completely, and may have possibly hit someone on a nearby bridge. But probably not. Right? Probably.

Thorfin: Your running leap takes you soaring over to the skiff, where you land solidly just in time to see the co-pilot fall off the other side. The professor is in front of you, and you see that the harpoon is still in him. You also see sparks arcing out from his chest. Apparently his leg isn't the only thing that's been modified.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    "Oh good, I won't miss the fight, again. Hello professor, glad you're alive, be with you in a mo."

Blurred Step in to E7, Battlemind's Demand to mark Gnoll1.

He faces off with the pilot "Down you go, bucko."
    Stone Squire vs Fortitude: 1d20+17 35 9 9 and pilot is knocked prone

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Gleam nocks another divine arrow, aiming upwards. "Uh," she calls out, hesitating. "If you don't return that professor immediately, we'll have to charge a considerable late fee! Please charge them, Rusty."

She lets the arrow fly, and before it climbs to a considerable height it bursts, leaving in the sky the image of a small white disc beaming with light. The light sparkles against Rusty's metallic skin- and the disc becomes two beams that streak down and slam into a pair of gnolls.

Standard: Light of Arvandor on E,10 (area burst 1)
    Light of Arvandor vs Will of Gnoll 2 (D,9): 1d20+12 25 1d8+9 15
    Light of Arvandor vs Will of Gnoll 5 (E,11): 1d20+12 28 1d8+9 17
    Effect: Rusty gains a +2 power bonus to AC until the end of Gleam's next turn.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Should we wait on Rusty to move before we go again? I don't want to step on any toes.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Nah, just act when you think it would be appropriate for your character to do so. If she wants to wait to see what Rusty is going to do, then wait. If she doesn't care, then go ahead and go.

This isn't a combat encounter in the strictest sense, although you are in combat with the gnolls. This is kind of a combat encounter/skill challenge hybrid thing that I tried out in my Gamma World game and really enjoyed. At the end of roughly each "round" (or sometimes mid-"round" if necessary), the challenge will progress in response to your collective actions.

• Options
    Rusty pulls himself up as the Gnoll fruitlessly scratches away at him, snapping quickly with his greatspear.

Curtain of Steel vs AC: 1d20+17 31 3d10+7 24 as a reaction.

Is he a minion?

• Options
    "Alright, scum," Waera cups a hand to her mouth, "put your weapons down, or we put you down." She waves her arm at the blown-out room. "If that explosion didn't kill us, then what chance do you have?"

Intimidate: 1d20+12 22

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
  • Options
    Rusty attempts to harpoon the Gnoll he just struck and fling him right off the skiff.

Savage Reach vs AC: 1d20+17 35 1d10+7 16

If that successfully hits, I can slide the gnoll three squares (1 normally, +2 for items/feats), which Rusty is gonna use to move him off the skiff to G10. Presumably he gets a save or something.

• Options
    Minor Action
    Skiff course maintenance: 1d20+13 26

Move Action
    Zeel moves to E6

"Hey, buddy," Zeel says to the gnoll on the professor's right. "Dodge this."

He pulls his right hand back--creating a ball of yellow flame in his open palm--and then thrusts it slightly to the left of the gnoll's face. The gnoll manages to avoid his strike, and the fireball begins to sail harmlessly into the sky.

"Nice moves," Zeel remarks, then gives the gnoll a toothy smile. "Not."

He balls his hand into a fist, and the fireball suddenly stops in midair and explodes directly over the two gnolls flanking the professor.

Standard Action
    Risen Sun vs Reflex of Gnolls: 1d20+14 22 (Gnoll at D7) 1d20+14 18 (Gnoll at D9) 2d6+8 13 fire damage (+8 fire from Flurry of Blows if the attack hits D7)
    Effect: Aura 1 that deals 5 fire damage to enemies that enter or end their turn in the aura.

Holy shit those are some terrible rolls for a Daily. Even the damage roll is kinda balls.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Won't that... Damage the professor, too?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Won't that... Damage the professor, too?

Nope. Risen Sun is party friendly.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    oh, neat.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Thorfin: You slam the pilot back down on the deck of the ship as he tries to get up, but not before he takes a swipe at you with his claws. Rather than try to penetrate your coat of wyvernscales, he goes for your legs. A flash of pain shoots up your body as you realize that he actually managed to hurt you (P uses Claws vs Thorfin (targeting AC), critting for 20 damage, plus ongoing 10 poison damage (save ends)).

Gleam: Your searing light is effective, causing a fair amount of damage to the gnolls. However, it also seems to have had another effect, that of creating a glowing beacon above the action. The scene is drawing quite a crowd on the nearby bridges, balconies, and windows. A few airships also seems to be drawn to the commotion...

Rusty: ...and one of them barely avoids being hit by the body of the gnoll that you toss overboard. Already weakened by Gleam's magic, it's almost dead before it reaches the railing. Sending it into the air is more a matter of follow-through on your swing than any kind of extra effort.

Zeel: Unfortunately, your attacks don't pan out as well as the others'. The gnolls see your fire coming, and both of them manage to dodge out of the way. One of them still has a hand on the professor, who goes tumbling (unwillingly) with him, just before...

Waera: ...a surprisingly authoritative voice rings out over the noise of combat. The remaining gnolls look in your direction, and a few of them trade some yips and barks that sound like some kind of code. With a nod...

The Gnolls: ...one of them squeezes the gem on his necklace, causing a bizarre helmet to materialize over his head and wings to sprout from his back. He tightens his grip on the professor, then leaps from the skiff, diving down into the traffic below. The other gnolls do the same, but one of them hesitates, realizing (Perception Check: success) that the professor tossed the envelope at Zeel's feet before being pulled away.

There are two gnoll's left on the skiff. One is diving across the deck to try to snatch the envelope away. Zeel, are you going to fight him off, or are you going to steer the skiff? The other gnoll is the prone pilot next to Thorfin. He's got the same kind of necklace as the others, and he's probably going to use it. Are you going to stop him, or are you going to dive after the professor yourself? Waera, Rusty, Gleam, what are you going to do now?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    "Thorfin, take the helm! I have something to secure..."

Zeel focuses his chi through his feet, creating jets of flame that swiftly propel him forward toward the letter.

Zeel uses Fiery Serpent

Move Action
    Fiery Serpent Movement = shift my speed to where the letter landed
    Effect = +2 power bonus to fire damage rolls until the end of my next turn

"...and a gnoll to burn."

As soon as Zeel gets to the letter, he shifts the chi from his feet to the palms of his hands, propelling a line of searing fire in the shape of a dragon at the gnoll going after the letter.

Standard Action

Fiery Serpent vs reflex of gnoll: 1d20+14 34 (CRIT!) 2d8+10 26 fire damage +6 FoB fire damage (FoB is added only within melee range; I'm okay eating an opportunity attack from the gnoll if I can get the extra damage)
    Bonus Crit Damage: 2d8 14

Also: If I can spend a Minor Action to pick up the letter, I will.

Okay, dice.

I forgive you for wasting my Daily.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    "On it, friend! Lemme just patch up a tch, first."

Thorfin (39/95 hp) uses Dwarven Resilience, in combination with the Belt of Blood (raise surge value by con mod (5) while bloodied) and Cloak of the Walking Wounded (when using second wind while bloodied, can spend two surges and gain HP from both), to regain 56 health (minor action). New total: Full health.

Move from E7 to D4 (possibly soaking an attack of opportunity) and take the helm (Dungeoneering to pilot a skiff: 1d20+16 30)

Poison Save: 1d20+5 11

Edit: I'm dumb and don't know how Blurred Step works. A durr

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Those necklaces reminds Waera of... Oh! She turns around and finds the corpse of the ambush leader. Bingo. Waera pulls the necklace over the dead gnoll's head and sprints toward the window and dives after the professor. "Here goes NOTHING!"

I have no idea what I'm rolling, here.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    With so many things happening so fast, Gleam is forced to make a quick decision.

In a remarkably poor application of decisive thinking, the felinoid evidently determines the best choice of action is to make a dive to catch onto Waera as Waera makes a dive out the window.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Zeel: Your flaming strike burns away what remained of the gnolls life, and he falls in a burned heap at your feet. You pick up the envelope and feel something hard inside it, a thin cylindrical shape, like a small pen.

Thorfin: Under your guidance the skiff dives down and after the winged gnolls. The air around here is remarkably crowded, but you manage to avoid any collisions, for now. You can see the professor and his captor just ahead, flying toward a narrow gap between two towers.

Waera: You put on the necklace and squeeze the gem to activate it. You feel a sharp pinch as something pierces your skin, and then suddenly you can feel wings on your back and some kind of helmet around your head. Somehow, you understand how to use these wings, and so you dive from the window and take to the air. However, your leap isn't quite as graceful as it could have been...

Gleam: ...because a certain cleric is now hanging from your legs. You're not falling, which is good, but if you don't find a better way to hold on you're going to cause Waera to crash.

Rusty: With no gnolls left on the skiff to kill, what are you doing?

• Options
    got an idea, possibly a crazy one, gimme a minute to put it together

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    @denada about how difficult would it be to squeeze this skiff through that gap?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    "You lads don't wanna fall off, you'd best hang on to something. I'm taking 'er in!" The dwarf waits a few scant moments, then tips the skiff at just enough of an angle that he's pretty sure will make it between the buildings.

Maybe.

Dungeoneering check for fancy flight: 1d20+16 22

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    @stilts and @pony, maybe grab the rail or something.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options