Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Fax Machine

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Fax Machine

The Artists have met and beds have been claimed, now it's time for them all to get to know each other a little bit better and size up the competition.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• before-it-was-popularbefore-it-was-popular Registered User new member
    You guys may already know about this, but when I try to watch this episode I get the 'This video is private.' error.

Evilgeoff
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    Why do you tease me so?

• EvilgeoffEvilgeoff Registered User new member
    I registered an account to post exactly what BEFORE-IT-WAS-POPULAR just said.

theredfish
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    OOPS. Working on it!

Some guy.
  • pocketpinspocketpins Registered User regular
    Thanks, Robert. I stayed up late just to watch!

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    THROUGH THE MAGIC OF THE INTERNET.... a new episode of Strip Search appears.

Mang, I can't wait to have you all see the full arc of these days. This is the social event for the day, designed to show you a bit of who we're dealing with... on Friday we unveil the first actual competitive event.

Some guy.
    Hige KidCambiata
  • jchinnockjchinnock Registered User new member
    The best thing to watch while waiting for SimCity to possibly download!

• BassBass Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    Looks great, enjoyed it much. Keep the good stuff comming, as a viewer I start building a connection to some of the candidates. I wonder if those are going to swap around :)

Btw. did anyone else notice that there was a minor editing error at 3:55 ... They did not show the picture which has been drawn to the text.

Bass on
  • MyntMynt Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Awww... everyone was sooo happy.

It won't last....

s7arbuckjchinnock
  • Mossy ToesMossy Toes Idle Warhammerer Eye of TerrorRegistered User regular
    Woo, fun episode. My face hurts from smiling and I am even more impressed by the talent just leaking from all of these folks. And on Friday, we get Kiko, Erika and Levin coming in--I'm guessing that prize for next episode is the winning design getting enshrined in the store.

• HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    Loved the episode. Is there any chance that you will be posting the pictures so that we can look through them?

lamelama22CuriousPencil
  • hangeduplifehangeduplife Registered User new member
    Re: what Erika Moen says toward the end of the episode . . . I sincerely hope she is not right! I'm totally backing her. I want to see her win. But every contestant is awesome. :)

Yeah, agreed with previous comments . . . fun episode. Laughed a lot. Can't wait for Friday's episode!

• Hige KidHige Kid Registered User regular
    Maaaaan, can't wait to see the competition!

• s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    What is up with Amy's eye??

• SabinSabin Registered User regular
    The "game"/challenge they did was wonderful! Simple, fast and the results were all impressive. It's great to finally see a glimpse of their talent and they all seem to be winners.

As with the last episode, Maki is still my favourite. Seems to have a great sense of humor and seems to be extremely talented. Still, Alex and Mac also showed great promise.

I'm still blown away by the production! It looks, feels, sounds so professional and this show could easily be shown on a studio network.

• Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    @s7arbuck: I think it's the eyeshadow that she's wearing.

• CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    That was hilarious and nailbitey in equal mouths.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Noooo Doc Brown!

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    AdmiralMemoCambiataDark Raven X
  • existexist Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the clip of Alex saying something like "It was nice to see where everyone was at, and it was also an anxiety breaker" is used twice in the episode

UmPiq.png
    CaptainRedHookSonick
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would say that these episodes are too short, but considering my desire to immediately watch more, they must be the exact correct length.

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Jubal DiGrizXeavn
  • EsotericFishEsotericFish Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    **Accidental Double Post**

EsotericFish on
    pjarvi
  • EsotericFishEsotericFish Registered User new member
    I'm really enjoying this so far, but I think there are a few things that you guys could look at improving with future shows of this type.

I think the main problem lies in the length of the episodes. Reality TV is generally programmed into hour long slots (~42 minutes of actual episode) for a good reason. It gives the audience time to get invested into each of the contestants (especially important in the first episode) and allows the Producers the time to play out interesting story arcs through careful editing of the cutaways and competitions. This greater investment pays off during the climax when the audience knows that somebody is going to go home, it's the promise of the premise. You watch all of this drama play out each week knowing that someone is going to go home at the end of it.

You guys have done a great job crafting an interesting show, but every time I'm starting to get invested you cut to a break, but instead of only waiting a few minutes I have to wait several days, and when the next episode rolls around it has to do all of the work investing me in the show all over again.

There have been several examples of longer form shows working on the web, but if you're focused on the short form, maybe you could think about structuring it similar to a 5 act TV show with one episode every night?

Anyway, these things might just be bothering me as a TV writer, but I thought I'd give some feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the show plays out!

Apologies if this multiple posts, I'm having a few technical issues.

jpylusNOO3IEzombieinc99GogoKodoVanityPantstoaster_pimpScosglenJhostStratoCambiatapjarviMoridin889Xeavn
  • theredfishtheredfish Registered User regular
    Because these are LRR edited, I keep expecting a stinger after the credits.

SnicketysnickAdmiralMemoPayneTraynetoaster_pimppjarviTofystedeth
  • GoldChaosGoldChaos Registered User regular
    Go Maki!

• hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    This episode was one hundred times more entertaining than the first. It's really nice to see the contestants start to open up. Besides visiting their websites, this was our first look into what each can do. Strip Search seems to reward their crunch-time skills by adding in extra pressure and setting strict time limits, like this episode's two-minute sketch timer and the one-hour for next week's T-shirt design.

Maki definitely won fax machine based on what we saw, but it would be great to see a gallery of all of the sketchbooks. Really looking forward to the next episode now after a hesitant start to the series.

zerzhulepthegeekSonickCambiata
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That was hilarious! Any chance we could see scans of each notebook to see them in entirety?

jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Steam:ArcSyn Backloggery:ArcSyn XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

GIFT GET GIFS
    PolecatzerzhulepthegeektoekneebullardSonickKabitzyFloydHereNowMaz-
  • epthegeekepthegeek Registered User new member
    Chiming in to also insist upon image albums of all of those books! Have mercy!

toekneebullardSonick
  • ZugwaltZugwalt Registered User new member
    Pumped to see the "old skool analog" version of Doodle or Die in action! I wonder how things would have gone if they were given colored markers!

SonickWeaselsoup
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I feel like everyone's really opening up in this episode while Amy's getting ready to play it like a game. Which is super intelligent, but it's like gah, I hatechu.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    SonickKagani
  • SonickSonick IndiaRegistered User regular
    I never remember names on shows like this but one of those girls was so adorable! I hope she stays on for a long time.

The long hair guy looks really fun too. Maki is brilliant too, all of them seem like such nice people!

Was strange that I really couldn't tell anyone's drawings apart though. They all looked like they were done by the same person.

12 minutes, and some of that a recap, is really short. Hope you guys release longer extras later.

The music is pretty brilliant, I'd actually pay for that.

NotaCylon
  • KaganiKagani Registered User new member
    So Episode 2 is better, and shows new content. I like where the show is going. I realize they're still working out the editing, but this one seems a bit tighter.

The fact they haven't kicked anyone off yet leads me to the suspicion that they're going to do 2 -3 episodes with games, and then 1 episode with a kickoff. Now that I can sort of see a pattern, it seems more promising.

Now for the actual episode. Fax machine is a fun game, but I'm not sure how much fun for the people not playing it. scans of the art books could be useful, but a lot of the humor is lost without being there.

The 'last time on strip search' was kind of annoying. I can remember what happened last time thanks.. you almost need a youtube button to pop up to 'click to jump to the episode'

It was entertaining enough to give another try or two. I might watch it out of momentum at that point.

The 'day 1 recap / spoilers' section doesn't quite seem right yet, but now that 2 episodes appear there, it's starting to make more sense.

• GeekBabelGeekBabel Registered User regular
    So this is shaping up to be a really good series. Nice to see which artist are good under pressure and time management, and which ones struggle.

Also cool to see that they were honest about each others works when they gave maki praise. They probably all knew something was gonna happen after the game was over but they still all gave a maki alot of praise making him the winner giving him the prize.

Some may say its a little early to pic favorites but I think if i had to choose it would be between alex and maki so hopefully those 2 don't go anywhere anytime soon.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell The ResistanceRegistered User regular
    you guys started the challenges with a game of Eat Poop You Cat.

<3 <3 <3

Kochikenstynicdarleysam
  • FloydHereNowFloydHereNow Registered User regular
    So good! Anxiety attack: need... more... episodes.... cannot wait.....

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Now that I've heard of it I'm kind of in love with this game, and want to play it with people. It won't be as consistently hilarious/well-drawn as all of these were, but it looks like lots of fun.

• toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    huh. the pacing of this show is reeeeaal different from any other reality show i've seen - and yet it feels way more...well, real.

also GO ABBY! and Alex.

• Akira13Akira13 Registered User regular
    12 minute installments are just not long enough for a chronologically unfolding competition show. This episode and the previous one have both given me that distinct disappointed frustrated feeling you get when you sit down to watch a DVD, only to have it freeze a few minutes in because the disc is severely scratched or otherwise irreparably damaged.

Obviously the nature of the show requires that there be SOME level of dramatic buildup/suspense from episode to episode to keep people watching, but as EsotericFish said previously it's just very difficult to immerse yourself in a reality show that plays out in such short clips. I would MUCH rather see TV-length episodes even if they only came out once a week, because then I would actually feel like they were worth waiting for.

VanityPantsStratopjarviJhostXeavn
  • AmyTFalconeAmyTFalcone Illustrator & Cartoonista Seattle, WARegistered User, Strip Search regular
    @S7ARBUCK I had a horrible allergic reaction in both my eyes! It was the WORST. /wilts

Levin Sadsad
    If you didn't notice, Erika (pa) just posted the spoiler content for Ep 2 here: http://penny-arcade.com/strip-search/spoilers/day-1

Some guy.
    Jubal DiGrizjchinnockstrike_the_trip
  • DonoramDonoram Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I love it but toooooo shoooooort...! D:

Donoram on
    pjarvi