Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Fax Machine

• WanderlustKid_AlexWanderlustKid_Alex Registered User new member
    @exist I noticed that too. They just can't get enough of my face.

• Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Registered User regular
    @Akira13 To be fair, episodes do come out twice a week though.

pjarvi
  • PaulMcGranitePaulMcGranite Registered User regular
    It's nice to see a reality show with decent human beings as contestants for a change.

CambiataFandeathispjarviNotaCylon
  • Akira13Akira13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Dirk_Gently I'm aware of that, but it still means waiting 2-3 days for 12 minutes of content, and it's still only about half as much content per week as a regular show. I would just look forward to each episode and be excited about the whole series a lot more if each episode was TV-length, even if that meant waiting 6 days between them.

Akira13 on
    pjarvi
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    @AKIRA13 Agreed. I like the episodes, but I'm thinking about just letting a few accumulate before watching more. I think the expectation from a reality show is every episode ends with someone getting voted off (or similar), and it's not quite clear the structure of this new series yet. That small qualm aside, I love Strip Search!

pjarvi
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    I'm curious if they considered stretching these to 21 minutes. It seems like there would be plenty more content to pad it out.

Either way, here's to hoping the long cut of the fax machine game shows up in the extras.

Automata-Sg.png
    RaphtyrCambiataFandeathispjarvi
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I'm totally on team Maki so far. This show is awesome. Also, what a cool game.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • I'm-a-NucleophileI'm-a-Nucleophile Registered User new member
    Team Maki all the way!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Liked this episode twice as much as the first! Agree I'd prefer them longer, though.

Also I kind of lol'd at the "I'm not blowing my load on one little game" and then it turned out there was a prize at the end. Whoops.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    WarmthpjarviNotaCylon
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ach! I just want to see them all draw for a while! Was smiling the whole episode :)

pjarvi
  • marclsabmarclsab Registered User new member
    If anyone is interested in a board game version of this, I bought one called Cranium: Scribblish. I bought this in Canada, do they have the Cranium games in the US? Anyway, it works the same, but you draw/write on a little pad that rolls up to conceal the previous responses and you have to guess from the last answer which one started out as yours.

• WoodcutterWoodcutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Double posted somehow, sorry.

Woodcutter on
    pjarvi
  • WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    I really liked this. A lot of these kinds of shows in the mainstream are padded to the nines with fluff. I like that this was concise and still entertaining. Looking forward to future eps.

pjarviNotaCylon
  • WoodcutterWoodcutter Registered User regular
    Compliment sandwich! I love this show and the contestants and the mysteries that it evokes continuously so far. Everything is mysterious about it.

That out of the way, I would much prefer a 25 or even 40 minute long show to multiple little 12 minute clips (see! I instinctively went to write clip). As much as I am loving the show right now, I feel my appetite being awoken each episode but not being bedded down to any degree. I dare say it feels a bit painful, and not in the good, excited for the next episode kind of way. I am glad, however, that there isn't a contestant eliminated each episode, because it's nice to have a surprise format, but a 12-15 minute format is not my desired one.

Did I say it before, SO EXCITED THIS SHOW EXISTS! Love the contestants!

pjarviNotaCylon
  • WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    I really liked this. A lot of these kinds of shows in the mainstream are padded to the nines with fluff. I like that this was concise and still entertaining. Looking forward to future eps.

pjarvi
  • SabinSabin Registered User regular
    I see a lot of talk on twitter and here in the comments about the length of the episodes and i have to say i haven't really thought about it.

But i do really like the length of each episode. After watching each show they leave me wanting more, always keeping me interested in where the show is going and what is going to happen next. Watching these short episodes is like having a small bite, where watching a full 40+ minutes episode is like having a full meal plus dessert plus cake, leaving you feeling bloated and sick. I like my small bites two times a week.

pjarvi
  • eBusinesseBusiness Registered User new member
    If you didn't notice, Erika (pa) just posted the spoiler content for Ep 2 here: http://penny-arcade.com/strip-search/spoilers/day-1

Great, but I can only find the 12 texts and 12 images from 2 of the sketchpads. There should be 72 texts and 72 images, most of which weren't even shown it the show.

LordFizzlebeefpjarvi
  • LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    I would love to see all the sketchpad stuff on the website.

Also, I LOVE this show, and my one and only complaint is the length. Between next time/last time/credits, it feels like it is way shorter than 15 minutes. Next season (there's going to be a next season, right?), I would love longer episodes.

strike_the_trippjarvi
  • lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the 2 galleries of the sketchpad stuff, but would absolutely love it if all 12 were put online. It's really cool to see each artist's work, and also how the game of telephone/fax machine progresses through each step.

I agree w/ mostly everybody else's opinions that the episodes just feel too short and give you a build up and then abruptly end, and it leaves me wanting more, but not more like I get watching normal reality TV (like Top Chef, or even PA: The Series, where "I can't wait until next week") but a disappointed / frustrated "ugh / dammit" feeling.

It seems like the goal is to have 2 episodes a week with 1 person going home every week, so kinda analogous to the 1 episode per week format of most reality TV (like say a Top Chef episode where it starts with a "quick fire" simple challenge, like we had here; and then an elimination challenge, which will be Thursday). But honestly I'd rather just have the two 12 min episodes put together in a single 24 min episode once a week, so it felt complete / had a dramatic arc rather than just having what amounts to a 2-3 day jump cut between acts in the middle.

Really liking everything else though - the people, the work, the challenges, etc. :)

Cambiatapjarvi
  • myndzimyndzi Registered User new member
    I didn't see anybody mention this, but it seems like the interview room footage takes up too much of the show. I think that's why people think it feels shorter than maybe it is, even if it's "half length". Also the introduction and credits are very long in proportion to the episode length as well. It amounts to the viewer "feeling" like they're in for a long episode because of the pacing of the actual action, so it's no surprise that many people feel like they wanted more.

pjarvi
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    I know everyone is saying that they would prefer longer eps... but the sad fact is that the vast majority of people wouldn't sit down at work and watch a 45-60 minute episode of strip search, which would essentially kill the show.

FUN FACT: We were actually shooting for 10-15 minute episodes instead of what ended up being the 12-25 minute range. Thank Graham for that. :)

Some guy.
    makitorizerzhulFuzzyFuzzkinNotaCylonAnana11
    I will!

Thanks Graham.

Cool, so basically they're padded up to 25 if there was enough quality stuff. Optimal!

Automata-Sg.png
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Short and sweet keeps us coming back for more.

I am curious though as to how Maki won the competition as I didn't see a single drawing of his in the bonus area only his phrases. You know outside of what we see in the ep.

tynanaideen on
    pjarvi
  • toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    u know, having the show participants and creators providing comments and feedback in the comments - a kind of discussion with all y'all - is really neat.

something i'm surprised more online shows don't do. after all, it is something that is fairly uniquely possible online, no?

WanderlustKid_Alex
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    Seriously, who wrote that title theme? I want to shake their hand.

Jhost
  • hnc3313hnc3313 Registered User new member
    I'm curious -- how was the opening sequence (with the artists sliding in next to their names) created? Because the camera doesn't move. . .

I'm imagining that the artists were standing on something and someone was pushing or pulling them into the camera's field of view? Is that why some of them look like they're trying not to laugh?

Loving the show!

• MyntMynt Registered User, Strip Search regular
    edited March 2013
    @HNC3313 The camera DID move. That's TV magic at it's finest. What isn't TV magic is trying to smile genuinely when someone tells you to smile... :\

@WANGCHANGBACKUP The music was done by the talented Bradley Rains >> https://twitter.com/bradley_rains

Mynt on
    makitorijchinnockpjarvi
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    edited March 2013
    @HNC3313 Indeed, the slick camera work was merely just that. What WAS movie magic was giving me sunglasses in post. Thanks, gang!

(Though in your defense, it really does look like they slid us around on dollies)

makitori on
    jchinnock
  • Crippl3Crippl3 stealing all of my content from redditRegistered User regular
    The gravy shower was pretty amazing.

76561197980088172.png
    Life101pjarviNotaCylon
  • jchinnockjchinnock Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    @HNC3313 Glad you're enjoying the show! Nick is correct, we were moving the camera on a small dolly (or slider). In the relativity small 3ft range of the slider the mountains, the major object in the background, are so far away they dont really seem to change that much in relation to the Artists beautiful mugs.

Also I'm sure we made a great first impression on all the Artists having them stand in the cold and smile on cue. "Alright lets do it again but faster more intense"

jchinnock on
    MyntmakitoriNotaCylon
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    AW MAN! I WANNA PLAY!

• Jayne CobbJayne Cobb Registered User new member
    I feel all Team Lexxy

• tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    Anyone else wish that for the "DocBrown dies" someone would have drawn him being run over by himself in the delorian "GREAT SCOTT!"

Cambiata
    Well I do now.

Automata-Sg.png
    zerzhulCambiata
  • FuzzyFuzzkinFuzzyFuzzkin VirginiaRegistered User regular
    @RobertKhoo The show is just the right length. I couldn't watch if it were longer; duty calls.

Designer, Developer, Codemonkey, Artist at Achronic Games Mobile (Link: www.achronicgames.com)
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    update: I played fax machine for the first time with a group of friends + drinks, it was just as fun even when people can't draw for shit.

NotaCylon
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    Team Lexxy! AC represent, get it!

CambiataBucketmanDark Raven X
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    Thanks @MYNT! Now I just have to find a way to shake his hand through the Internet. Anybody have any ideas?

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    We play this game pretty often, but we call it "Eat poop, you cat!"

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    jchinnock has been kidnapped by Gosling and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

His TECH was something to respect
    But has long since ended the ride
    VANILLA'S REIGN ended his pain
    And he'll catch you on the FLIP SIDE
    Which forumer am I?