As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need advice concerning employement insurance (Canada)

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
I've never dealt with them before so that will be a first :)

Even tough I told my story a few times on these forums, it's worth repeating for the purpose of this thread : I'm originally from Québec. I moved to Alberta in Oct '11 for work. I've been working for the same company since November '11. I actually like my job and I go along well with my coworkers. I'm moving back to Québec soon tough because I can't stand life here outside of work anymore. All my familly and friends are in Québec and I'm tired of being lonely. I already asked my supervisor if it was possible to transfer to a position in my hometown. It's not, I will have to re-apply. I'm a security guard and licensing requirements varies by province so I'll have to update my license first thing when I get back.

So I'll be quitting voluntarilly my job. I know to be able to collect EI you have to justify yourself if you voluntarilly quit your job. Will ''moving back home to be close to your familly'' considered a valid reason? How can I spin it so it looks acceptable on my EI application? My parents are getting old (68 and 67) so perhaps I can mention that?

Also I'll be living with my parents for a while when I move back. Will that affect anything concerning EI?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Best thing to do is go to a Services Canada office and ask them. You can even use one of their computers to start your claim. The ladies in at least our office here were great help.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Harper's goonsquad just passed new legislation that really puts a boot on the neck of workers who are laid off legitimately, someone who voluntarily leaves their employment is pretty much on a body of flowing fecal matter without any form of conveyance.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    I was just reading an article in the Vancouver Sun today about how the government is really cracking down on fraudulent EI claims, which add up to like $330 million lost from the government per year or something in that range. As a result there's going to be a lot more scrutiny on people who claim EI - just giving you a heads up.

StKbT.jpg