As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mobile-Vanilla: slow page rendering in Mobile-Chrome

ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changedRegistered User regular
Recently updated Chrome (Galaxy S3, Jelly Bean 4.1 and 4.2), and I've noticed periodic slowdowns on thread rendering

Example: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175572/strip-search-artists-assemble/p2

The page loads fine, but if I scroll down to Khoo's post, everything is super low-res, and I can see it rendering in chunks. Could it be related to the effect on 5x up-voted posts? That seems to be where it gets stuck most of the time, though not necessarily on the first such instance. Desktop view loads fine.

[Edit] Additional info: I can still click in links while its try to render, even when I scroll too far and the screen is blank. So the content is there, Chrome is just choking on something in the visualization process. I haven't noticed this on other webpages.

Bonus issue: Is there supposed to be no new thread button in mobile view? It wasn't showing up just now.

ArbitraryDescriptor on

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Other browsers:
    'Internet' - Same issue with Awesome posts, but clears up faster.
    Firefox - Same issue (but clears up faster)
    Opera - Stutters when scrolling past the Awesomed posts, but doesn't shit up the rest of the thread over it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Did some research and testing, and it's definitely the box shadow.

You're using this:
    .Promoted{
    box-shadow: inset 0 80px 600px #fffcdc;
    }
    It's that 600px blur that the browsers are choking on.

This runs fine:
    .Promoted{
    box-shadow: inset 0 0px 60px #44DDEE;
    }
    (And is easier to to read)

(...and a pretty blue)

[Edit]Why 60? At 200 it was perfectly tolerable in Chrome (the worst of the set), but I could still see glitches if I scrolled from top to bottom as fast as I could. I'm testing this using a copy of that page with no JS or CSS apart from that class, so I'm allowing it could perform worse with everything else turned on, or there were more than 3 'Promoted' posts. At 100px, I can glimpse a render glitch every now and then (1:9 maybe), and at 60px I can't detect any. So 60 seemed like a safe suggestion.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    can i add a somewhat-related glitch to report on mobile browsers?

apparently when you create a thread in the mobile version of the site (Android/Chrome/Jelly Bean), the thread gets posted to this subforum, rather than the forum you were in at the time.

i have not rigorously tested this for each subforum, although i suspect Tube/the mods/Geth might be upset if i tried...

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If this is a place to put bugs related to the latest version of mobile Chrome, I have one. On the Nexus 7, I view this site in the normal mode and this was fine until the update. Now some of the posts have a small sized font and some of the posts have a larger font more fit to the screen. It is kind of jarring and makes the forums hard to read on the tablet. I'm sorry I don't have any screenshots of what I am describing.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Screenshot of the font size variance:
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/crackhed404/Screenshot_2013-03-07-06-36-33_zps358bd243.png

Firefox does it too, Opera does not.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Yup, that is exactly the issue I am seeing.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    The promoted box-shadow seems to have been removed, thereby rendering Chrome's shitty rendering of it irrelevant. Thanks @IcyLiquid !

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Pleasure