As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Hunters, start your barbecues... 3U IS OUT!!!

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Craft all of them!

Once you get to the point where it's actually difficult to get a set together, you'll have a much better idea of what you're looking for.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    carmofin wrote: »
    Okay, went back to kill that bear with SnS and it was a breeze. Been having some fun since then.

I've realized that weapons aren't as much of a problem as is armor! The options are staggering! How do I decide which armor to craft? It seems like a dead end would be much more annoying with armor!
    Bwhahaha you found the true evil of this game. Yeah the guy above, craft whatever. I don't think they overlap material costs tooooo much.

Only think to look out for is gunner vs non gunner armor. From all your posts make sure you're making the non-gunner armors.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Thread title is inaccurate for US, which gets it on the 19th!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Decorate yourself in the skin of your adversaries

J3qcnBP.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Okay so. Starting out, you should probably craft whatever. HOWEVER once you get deeper into the game there are going to be some things to look at.

Defense: Higher defense, take less damage. Simple stuff.
    Resistances: Some armor will have +X to an elemental, some will have -X. This is also pretty simple: if you have +5 Thunder Resistance, you take less damage from electricity. If you have -5 Fire, you take more damage from fire.
    Skills: Here's where things get nuts. Each piece of armor has some skill points. For example (I'm going off the numbers in Tri for this example, they might be slightly different in 3U IDK), the Great Jaggi chest armor has +2 attack, +1 Stun, +1 Gluttony, and -3 Cold Res. Alone, these do nothing. Literally nothing. That +2 Attack under skills? That does nothing. If you got +10 Attack, however, you'd gain the skill Attack Up (S). Putting on every piece of the Great Jaggi armor set would give you +11 Attack. But maybe you don't want to wear the Great Jaggi chest. Maybe you want to wear a different one. So you'd be at +9 attack. No skill!
    However, armor also has slots for decorations. Decorations are gems with stat boosts (and sometimes decreases) in them. So if you put a +1 Attack gem in another armor piece after taking off that Jaggi chest, you'd go up to +10 attack, and get Attack Up (S) again!

Choosing what armor you'll wear as you go on is mostly about what skills you want. There's a lot of variety: skills that make you better at combining items, skills that benefit certain weapons, skills that stop status effects. Through mixing and matching armor sets, decorations, and other ways to get skills you can optimize your gear for how you'd like to play. So while don't necessarily jump into all that right away, you can keep it in the back of your mind and look at skills occasionally, and maybe you'll see some on an armor set that really excite you.

Personally though I just build every armor set because I'm a hoarder.

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    1 week, 4 days! Eeeeee! I added myself to the spreadsheet that only (now) 6 people have added themselves to. Friend away on 3DS and Wii U - I'll be ready for the 19th. That and I'm taking a week off the very next week, so I will probably be on at all hours once the weekend after release starts :rotate:

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Unless I can get 8 Skypiercers (and I missed the boat on that by not building a cheapass Clust-gun set in time for Super Alatreon) and 21 Wyvern Stones in a hurry, it's actually seeming like I won't be getting WiiU or 3U on release day, but once the Tri servers shut down. :(

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Unless I can get 8 Skypiercers (and I missed the boat on that by not building a cheapass Clust-gun set in time for Super Alatreon) and 21 Wyvern Stones in a hurry, it's actually seeming like I won't be getting WiiU or 3U on release day, but once the Tri servers shut down. :(

But there will be wyvren stones and skypiecers a plenty in ultimate. That its always fun to progress with a group.

I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    I still need to pick up a WiiU and it made me a bit sad that Bestbuy doesn't carry the ZombieU bundles so id have something besides just Monster Hunter for it (nothing wrong with a monster hunter system though).

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited March 2013
    I know I'll get to gather all the stuff to make much of the same gear again, and more, but I really want to "finish" MH3 ... gunner stuff aside. I never really got the chance to do that with MH1 and MH2 due to getting online very late in the first game's life and the weird billing problem with KDDI that prevented me from continuing to play MH2.

IceBurner on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I WANT to like Monster Hunter, I really do, but the game doesn't make it easy...
    You can feel it was designed as MP title.
    I was supposed to hunt my first Qurupeco, of course it ended in desaster, so the next time I came with information, brought all kinds of items that are supposed to help. Of course my biggest problem is the cluster fuck, not only is there a giant jaggi, theres lots of little jaggis as well and if youre lucky, even more monsters that charge in from all sides.
    It's absolutely ridiculous, because I do everything as intended, stop the Qurupeco from doing his call, use dung bombs to chase the jaggi away, but all of this is POINTLESS if the Qurupeco moves to a different area every minute or so. Sometimes I run up to the damn thing and it flies off before I can even hit it once! Same with the paintball, simply expires when its needed the most. I literally spend 70% of my time using items, but oh, the problem is solved quickly, because as I'm desperately trying to fight little critters steal my shit from all sides.
    I'm happy to report that my biggest enemy is not the camera control, I don't have a CCP, so I use the touchscreen and for what it does it works fine. The issue with the camera is that I need to use my BUTTONS, which unless it comes with a THIRD thumb the CCP is not going to solve! But since I have played 3D games since the beginning of time I can play just fine even with less then optimal view, so this still isnt my biggest issue! My biggest issue is the goddamn Level-borders! Qurupeco basically LIVES at the level borders and as a result more often then not instead of attacking I end up traveling to another area! This is absolutely unacceptable with all the shit going on around me, I'm supposed to memorize the invisible level borders in each area just so I can play?
    Right now, I feel like I am literally doing a job that was designed for four people and the only reason I havent thrown the towel is because I forgot to recruit that small critter and I'm hoping he will actually make a difference when there 20 monsters after me!
    I beat the damn thing eventually, but I can't really say I was having much fun.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    carmofin wrote: »
    I WANT to like Monster Hunter, I really do, but the game doesn't make it easy...
    You can feel it was designed as MP title.
    I was supposed to hunt my first Qurupeco, of course it ended in desaster, so the next time I came with information, brought all kinds of items that are supposed to help. Of course my biggest problem is the cluster fuck, not only is there a giant jaggi, theres lots of little jaggis as well and if youre lucky, even more monsters that charge in from all sides.
    It's absolutely ridiculous, because I do everything as intended, stop the Qurupeco from doing his call, use dung bombs to chase the jaggi away, but all of this is POINTLESS if the Qurupeco moves to a different area every minute or so. Sometimes I run up to the damn thing and it flies off before I can even hit it once! Same with the paintball, simply expires when its needed the most. I literally spend 70% of my time using items, but oh, the problem is solved quickly, because as I'm desperately trying to fight little critters steal my shit from all sides.
    I'm happy to report that my biggest enemy is not the camera control, I don't have a CCP, so I use the touchscreen and for what it does it works fine. The issue with the camera is that I need to use my BUTTONS, which unless it comes with a THIRD thumb the CCP is not going to solve! But since I have played 3D games since the beginning of time I can play just fine even with less then optimal view, so this still isnt my biggest issue! My biggest issue is the goddamn Level-borders! Qurupeco basically LIVES at the level borders and as a result more often then not instead of attacking I end up traveling to another area! This is absolutely unacceptable with all the shit going on around me, I'm supposed to memorize the invisible level borders in each area just so I can play?
    Right now, I feel like I am literally doing a job that was designed for four people and the only reason I havent thrown the towel is because I forgot to recruit that small critter and I'm hoping he will actually make a difference when there 20 monsters after me!
    I beat the damn thing eventually, but I can't really say I was having much fun.

This post makes me smile. Just about all of us know how you feel. When I got my friend into to monster hunter, I made sure to let him know the game does not want you to like it. There is frustration in learning the game. The little guy will help a bit, but it won't make a world of difference. It takes time, hours usually then it clicks. You get used to the controls and you start being able to understand and predict the monsters. Soon after you will see that duck monster desperately limping away from you seeking escape and rest. This sight will fill your heart with unbound joy. The duck monster won't be your last trial. Learning the monsters is part of the game, sometimes it means losing to them multiple times. This is your first wall, breaking it is worth the effort. Give it some more time and patience, and you may understand why the game has the devoted following it does. The borders are silly, but really not a huge issue. He will come out and go after you.

As for advice fighting him, check out some you tube vids with your weapon type and peco. It may give you some ideas on how to approach the fight. Make sure to stock on dung bombs and keep at it. Breaking his stupid face always brings a smile to mine. :)

destroyah87Seidkona
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Tri was my first MonsterHunter game and I remember my first wall was the Barroth, I just couldn't beat him before time ran out.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Just added my name to the list.

I am super pumped to get back to wearing the flesh of my enemies.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I would add my name but I'm only getting the 3DS version and I very much doubt I'll be able to afford a wiiU any time soon.
    So I guess it's solo city again for me. Ah well, I spend most of my online time apologising for tripping people up anyway.

Seidkona
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    After playing the switch axe a few more times in the demo I think I'll go with it and the dual swords as my first two weapons.

It gives me a nice bit of practice before spending time with the greatsword to actually get good with it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited March 2013
    Listening to the soundtrack today, I realized Alatreon's theme contains all three MH game's main themes

IceBurner on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yo @Iceburner im home in an hour your down for hunting at 3 am?

Also carmofin, there a couple levels of Monster Hunter. Id say youre at the first or second one, either you can grind it out and level up or maybe these kinds of games arent your thing. Just know that when things 'click', there are few games more satisfying then a successful solo monster hunt with a par time.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Ashdrake
    @fRAWRst -- and any other still-conscious hunters -- yes, I'll be there.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I had more with the first few tri monsters than any other in the game. It wasn't until after Barroth that it finally clicked. Even then some monsters would take 6 tries before it went down.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    In my quest for closure, I've learned all the end-game Tri monsters really well, finally learned Switch Axe, learned to aggressively lance instead of tank and chip away. There's always new heights to aspire to. Just wish we could join ya, @carmofin. Learning by watching other hunters who hunt well is one of the easiest ways to improve.

In place of that, you might try watching videos online. They don't have to be explicitly tutorial videos, just watch others and switch to another video if you notice they're less awesome than you want (or watch their mistakes and think about what you might have done differently).

Well, managed to break both horns on my first Alatreon hammer attempt, but I did take plenty of hits, missed many openings, and he was able to fly for a little bit. There's room to improve.

Ok, kelbi is super broken in this

http://youtu.be/0x3ENsh3kRk

That looks like zero fun to me.

Killed so many Alatreons today with fully broken heads.

Not a single Skypiercer to be found.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    Ok, kelbi is super broken in this

http://youtu.be/0x3ENsh3kRk

That looks like zero fun to me.

Coordinating as a group to do that looked pretty fun for me. They did a pretty good job of locking up the targets with smoke and flash, bombs and pitfalls, while using paralysis coating and/or shot as well.

Alone or in any other configuration, the kelbi bow probably wouldn't have been quite as spectacular, but with 3 of 'em and good teamwork, that was pretty cheesy easy.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just in time for anyone's lengthy trip to PAX East!

YL9WnCY.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I'm running out of time :( gotta finish FO:NV, Tomb Raider and RE:Revelations before this hits.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Questing to make all the gear was the right thing to do, because now I[m playing with stuff I never did before. Barioth armor with Switch Axe underwater? I ... didn't know how awesome this was.

I have a weird question. What voices are best to pick for both guy and girl? By which I mean, which are least annoying when running around and grunting?

It's tough because you can't really check them well ahead of time. My first guy in Tri used an older gruff sort of voice and he sounds like a big dog when he runs. My friend was messing around and picked an effeminate voice and he does these really breathy sighs when he runs.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Not to knitpick, but the date wrong in the title? Is that the EU release? Comes out in the US on the 19th....
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Just in time for anyone's lengthy trip to PAX East!

Don't remind me! One of my other friends was supposed to be driving up there, but they bailed and now it falls on me, which crushed my dreams of 7+ hours of hunting. :(

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    You're all a bunch of nubcakes. If you're a true hunter you've already realized what your first day or two with the game will be spent...

Charm tables.

Capture.jpg~original
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    You're all a bunch of nubcakes. If you're a true hunter you've already realized what your first day or two with the game will be spent...

Charm tables.

This and PSO Section IDs are the WORST game mechanics I've EVER seen.

SCREECH OF THE FARG
    Figure it this way: either you burn a few hours rolling characters and checking their charm tables until you get a decent one (and there are some HYPER shitty ones just in case you were thinking of going random), or you play for a 100 hours before realizing your character is permanently locked into useless charms.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    I added my name to the list. I usually play GS and SA, but I think I'll be trying ranged weapons this time around. I really liked the Bow in the demo.

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Figure it this way: either you burn a few hours rolling characters and checking their charm tables until you get a decent one (and there are some HYPER shitty ones just in case you were thinking of going random), or you play for a 100 hours before realizing your character is permanently locked into useless charms.

Think of it this way, its a stupid mechanic period, and I'm not going to do this stupid bullshit. Ill play the game normally, and if it bites me in the ass later I'll stop playing and have a sour taste in my mouth about the series.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ok guys, I submitted my info so please add it to the OP. Cannot wait for some PA Monster Hunting!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Mystic Terrapin
    Mugaaz wrote: »

Think of it this way, its a stupid mechanic period, and I'm not going to do this stupid bullshit. Ill play the game normally, and if it bites me in the ass later I'll stop playing and have a sour taste in my mouth about the series.

That certainly is one approach. I totally agree it's stupid, the powergamer in me just won't let me forget about it though.

Ah well.

Capture.jpg~original
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Mugaaz wrote: »

Yep. I'm not going to worry about it. I doubt I'll hit 100 hours anyway. I don't have a ton of gaming time anymore.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Charm Tables?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    A guy at GameFAQs translated what some Japanese players were saying about the charm tables:
    Here's the table info I translated.

Note: They say "kami oma" meaning god charm, but I don't know if that refers to what english people dub god charms, or if it means just really high level charms.

T1: The best blademaster and gunner balance. has many "suro"(don't know what that means) protecting charms; the element unlock charms are a little sparse/slim; this set isn't exactly a cut above the rest.

T2: Feels like a drop in quality from T1. Talking about the sake of a table with out god charms, this could be better.(?)

T3: All-purpose table. Especially evasion types, artisan +4 OOO (sharpness -3, though) type skills also exists abundantly as a possibility.

T4: Blademaster oriented. Particularly intended for lancers' fullest substantiality. Artisan +4 OOO also exists, other blademasters can do well with this table.

T5: Evasion distance and hearing protect substance, heavy(I assume bowgun) compatability excellence. Provided that god and dragon charms are troublesome to find.

T6: Somewhat blademaster-ish. Artisan +5 OO, artisan +4 OOO are the only ones that exist for both sides/parties. Evasion types, element unlock, and easy to use skills and sets god charms are plentiful.

T7: Evasion performance has the best fullness/substantiality here. Regardless of weapons, (meaning if you tend to use many different weapons I think) this table's evasion performance is plentiful.

T8: While this one's evasion types are a little inferior compared to the other ones, it balances with an average to good guard type line-up. The dragon charms tend to be superior/excellent.

T9: Somewhat gunner-ish. Gunner skill and attack +10 or critical eye +10 sets are abundant. This table has the weakest existence of god charms for blademasters.

T10: Artisan +5 element unlock +7 is the cream of the crop, and has many artisan with A-skills. With high substantiality opportunity for swordsmiths (probably means skills like artisan and sharpening), blademaster heating power (<- might mean potential) makes this the ultimate level for almost for almost any weapon. (This last sentence was really confusing.)

No tables 11 or 12

T13: Traditional/peculiar god charms aren't here but, the you can find the minimum strong skill families(?).

T14: Somewhat blademaster-ish. Sharpness +4 element unlock +7, artisan +4 critical eye +10 etc. blademaster oriented excellent charms are plentiful. Rapid fire +5 critical eye +10 are also the right place.

And from those comments, it sounds like many tables are pretty good. They can't all be the best but it doesn't sound horrible.