As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Hunters, start your barbecues... 3U IS OUT!!!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So, am I missing something here?
    For you guys who are making Great Sword armors, I see a very disturbing lack of "Attack Up". I mean, the Great Sword benefits the most from the Attack Up skill, over any other weapon. Why are you guys ignoring it?

It's not a bad skill, it's just not as good as the ones people are chasing. Plus it takes 20 points to max it instead of 10/15.

I'd imagine crit draw and sharpness +1 beat the pants off of attack up for a GS user.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    CorporateLogo
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    I would argue that Crit Draw and Focus, and maybe Sharpness +1 are must-have Great Sword skills. It's just everyone is choosing something else for that third skill, Earplugs or Guard are not something that I would necessary value over Attack Up.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
    Earplugs are insane in certain fights, since it gives free hits. Baleful Gigginox, for example, roars every 15 seconds and follows up with hits that paralyze while you're still recovering. Earplugs would vastly increase your damage uptime in fights like those. Guard...I got nuthin. That's just weird.

Capture.jpg~original
  • SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    I set about to do a simple intro/tutorial and it ended up being 40 minutes long and I feel like I barely scratched the surface and I'm not really sure I accomplished my goal... Anyway, wdyt? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVvswL7AH7g&list=UUh0LMKwkZJPfvcN4gpWq-oA

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Earplugs are insane in certain fights, since it gives free hits. Baleful Gigginox, for example, roars every 15 seconds and follows up with hits that paralyze while you're still recovering. Earplugs would vastly increase your damage uptime in fights like those. Guard...I got nuthin. That's just weird.

Earplugs are sexy, truly, however I dont' think I'd ever rate them over Attack Up. Basically, monsters don't roar all that much, even the Giggity-noxes, who roar more frequently than any other monster, still don't roar enough to push the DPS increase of Earplugs over the steady DPS increase from Attack Up.

Please don't take this as me criticizing you guys, I really am not, I'm just curious and wondering if I'm doing it wrong, cause I like Great Swords quite a bit and use them often, although not yet in Tri Ultimate.

Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Useful or not, attack up is just a bit, well, dull really.

Also I think I've heard that the hard on for earplugs is a bit of legacy thing as the older games would have monsters constantly roar stunning and flattening you with no chance of escape. Nowadays you usually get chance to recover and dodge before they attack after a roar, but the earplug thing seems embedded now.

I mean there's no doubting they're still really damn useful. Just no longer mandatory.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Useful or not, attack up is just a bit, well, dull really.

Also I think I've heard that the hard on for earplugs is a bit of legacy thing as the older games would have monsters constantly roar stunning and flattening you with no chance of escape. Nowadays you usually get chance to recover and dodge before they attack after a roar, but the earplug thing seems embedded now.

I mean there's no doubting they're still really damn useful. Just no longer mandatory.

I view earplugs the same as I view tremor/wind res. They are skills that give me more opportunity to put damage on the monster, because most roar/tremor/wind animations are animations that leave the monster wide open for at least one big hit.

I don't have armor with either of these skills right now, but I'd like to have a set (or sets) with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So, everyone's advice from yesterday about use sword mode more has been really helpful. Been killing Great Jaggis without much fuss and finished up the Jaggi armor set.

So now I have more questions! Which line of switch axes should I start going down? And also when should you use the X+A attack in sword mode? It has that big explosion and whatnot but I don't really understand it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So, everyone's advice from yesterday about use sword mode more has been really helpful. Been killing Great Jaggis without much fuss and finished up the Jaggi armor set.

So now I have more questions! Which line of switch axes should I start going down? And also when should you use the X+A attack in sword mode? It has that big explosion and whatnot but I don't really understand it.

My advice, the X+A attack is when you know you have at least 3-4 seconds. A little pro-tip for the Burst: when you're charging that attack, circle madly on your left joystick and mash X and A buttons as fast as you can. Normally, the Burst takes about 4 seconds, when you do what I suggested, you'll get that final burst in about 1 second, not even exaggerating.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Earplugs are sexy, truly, however I dont' think I'd ever rate them over Attack Up. Basically, monsters don't roar all that much, even the Giggity-noxes, who roar more frequently than any other monster, still don't roar enough to push the DPS increase of Earplugs over the steady DPS increase from Attack Up.

Please don't take this as me criticizing you guys, I really am not, I'm just curious and wondering if I'm doing it wrong, cause I like Great Swords quite a bit and use them often, although not yet in Tri Ultimate.

In G rank monster roars are rather frequent, its free hammer/GS charge hits. Since Helios Z has HG built in, its just a nice set to mix with good charms to get various other skills as well.

Sharpness+1, focus, crit draw... those are a given as the best to get for GS.
    The real issue is just getting Attack(L) AND crit draw/focus. You could get stellar hunter, (sharpness+1 and attack(L)) from the abyss lagi set, and possibly gem in crit draw and focus with a nice charm. I actually have a focus+5 (0 0) charm, so I actually could do that. But its getting those free hits during roars doesn't really seem to be worth it to just gain some more attack.

I don't use guard on GS sets, did someone say they did?

I personally have multiple gem options with equipment sets, so for example when I use hammer I have my default with normal earplugs and can swap it to have tremor resist, wind resist or HG plugs if needed.
    So far in G-rank, at HR 48... I have yet to feel like I'm lacking damage, but the amount of extra KO's, knockdowns and tail cuts I've been able to get quicker due to earplugs has been extremely useful on my GS/hammer sets.

Edit: Something like this: http://mhag.info/mhtrig/viewset.htm?s=Unnamed Set : G.B.H.292.0.C.296.1.96.A.289.1.29.W.285.0.L.295.1.97.X.2.97.28.Y.2.1.15.5.1.97
    That however requires 3 socket weapon and no room to gem away the -affinity. That's with my current focus(00) charm. I guess if I found one with a much higher value I could pull it off and remove the -affinity. The point is, getting the 3 most important GS skills AND attack up (L) is much harder than getting those 3 plus a utility skill, earplugs (hg) being one of the better choices.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Maybe I'll look into it. I've played around with Earplugs, but I've mostly ignored it because, as a Lance user, the Earplugs are useless, and as a Sword and Shield user, the Earplugs give me, maybe 1 extra second. Obviously, it's different with Great Sword, so I should probably pay more attention to it.

My most badass Great Sword set back in original Tri had Crit Draw, Attack Up (M) and Focus on it. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get that Attack Up (M) to a (L), and I tried so hard! I was always 2 points short. Still Attack Up (M) is nothing to sneeze at.

After the adrenaline rush of beating two Pecos and a Devil Jho in one hunt last night, I felt inspired (and drunk) and deleted all my armors. ALL OF THEM. I now have no choice but to farm for high-rank armors :P
    This is a good thing!

edited April 2013
    herpaderp

MordaRazgrom on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    When I hunt Elizabeth I usually bring a switch-axe. :)

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll look into it. I've played around with Earplugs, but I've mostly ignored it because, as a Lance user, the Earplugs are useless, and as a Sword and Shield user, the Earplugs give me, maybe 1 extra second. Obviously, it's different with Great Sword, so I should probably pay more attention to it.

My most badass Great Sword set back in original Tri had Crit Draw, Attack Up (M) and Focus on it. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get that Attack Up (M) to a (L), and I tried so hard! I was always 2 points short. Still Attack Up (M) is nothing to sneeze at.

After the adrenaline rush of beating two Pecos and a Devil Jho in one hunt last night, I felt inspired (and drunk) and deleted all my armors. ALL OF THEM. I now have no choice but to farm for high-rank armors :P
    This is a good thing!

Changing that Attack(M) to sharpness+1 would essentially be Attack(L) since sharpness levels add to the % damage increase. Of course it would vary on the weapon due to the base damage of the weapon itself... but it would also bring with it the extra benefit of possibly purple sharpness.

People have different playstyles though, and this game doesn't punish that like most. So if I were you and wanted attack up stuff, go for the compound stellar hunter skill and call it a day.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Entaru wrote: »

Awesome, wrong thread :P My apologies!

Peas
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

I always try and cut her hair off first for that extra carve.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Shock or Pitfall trap? I think she's too small for the Pitfall, you'd miss the tranqs.

Fuck that, her aoe attacks are nuts. Lance all the way.

Capture.jpg~original
    Dat moment when you realize that your coffee has not yet quite kicked in!

Wife asked me a cute question last night as I was fighting The Jho: "what does he eat?"

Don't think she quite liked the answer :P

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So after cowering in the corners with you guys because I had just low-rank Jaggi armor the other night. I upgraded to the store bought high-rank armor. Kuruma, I think?

Still trying to get out of low-rank Moga so I can actually fight something that makes high rank stuff.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Downloaded some quests.

So that bullfango lance seems nice the gunlance is . . .unfortunate. . How can I ensure I get a head on the reward screen? Got it one time but no others so far

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ensure? ENSURE? No such thing.

Grind it out like the rest of us. :P

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Downloaded some quests.

So that bullfango lance seems nice the gunlance is . . .unfortunate. . How can I ensure I get a head on the reward screen? Got it one time but no others so far

If I remember right it doesn't require many heads, just keep carving bullfangos as you kill them while on that quest.

edited April 2013
    You can raise the chances by doing a capture as opposed to a hunt but that's about it.

Edit: never mind you're talking about the event quest and bullfangos. Oops.

Seidkona on
    That gunlance is awesome, I've taken out HR monsters with it, without upgrading it!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    You can't capture bullfangos

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited April 2013
    Dracil wrote: »
    You can't capture bullfangos

Yeah my reading comprehension wasn't so good on that one.

Seidkona on
    Ugh. If that lance wasn't so god damn amazing looking I'd be mad.
    I am curious why there isn't a dual sword made of tusks though.

Their DLC releasing is far from over, no reason to think it won't show up at some point.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I have graduated from Moga Woods Community College with an Associate of Science in the field of Great Jaggi and Arzuros Sciences, having completed coursework in the hunting, slaying, and capturing of the colloquially named "OG Jaggi" and "Honey Zuzu"

Rend on
    MordaRazgromAngrySquirrel
    That gunlance is awesome, I've taken out HR monsters with it, without upgrading it!

Its okay. Its not stronger than my other gun lances though.

But for real though this is like the second most inaccessible game I've ever played (second of course, to Eve Online), but it has its hooks in me something fierce.

I took a cue from Tycho and I'm using the War Bagpipes. Right now I'm examining my upgrade options past metal bagpipe+ to see what an appropriate upgrade path might be. I'm pretty attached to a lot of my current songs, but trading max health for healing sounds amazing.

Also, I should probably also learn how to use a bladed weapon, right? So I can cut off tails and such? Which would you guys recommend, as someone who is definitely enjoying playing funeral dirges for monsters simultaneously to their deaths?

Rend wrote: »
    But for real though this is like the second most inaccessible game I've ever played (second of course, to Eve Online), but it has its hooks in me something fierce.

I took a cue from Tycho and I'm using the War Bagpipes. Right now I'm examining my upgrade options past metal bagpipe+ to see what an appropriate upgrade path might be. I'm pretty attached to a lot of my current songs, but trading max health for healing sounds amazing.

Also, I should probably also learn how to use a bladed weapon, right? So I can cut off tails and such? Which would you guys recommend, as someone who is definitely enjoying playing funeral dirges for monsters simultaneously to their deaths?

The bagpipe has a bladed weapon part, just a very awkward one. The little stab you do with it does cutting damage.
    I'd recommend you make yourself the Peco Hunting Horn, that one horn has amazing things on it, like Sonic Bomb, Health Up (M)+Deodorant, and, I believe Defense Up.
    You can't go wrong with the Ludroth Hunting Horn either, it has Health Up (S)+Antidotal, which is a life-saver on Giggity-nox fights.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Hammers for smashing and switch axes for cutting were my bread and butter in Tri and haven't done me wrong in Ultimate so far. I've dabbled in a few other weapons, but not enough to really get a feel for them.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462

The bagpipe has a bladed weapon part, just a very awkward one. The little stab you do with it does cutting damage.
    I'd recommend you make yourself the Peco Hunting Horn, that one horn has amazing things on it, like Sonic Bomb, Health Up (M)+Deodorant, and, I believe Defense Up.
    You can't go wrong with the Ludroth Hunting Horn either, it has Health Up (S)+Antidotal, which is a life-saver on Giggity-nox fights.

How expensive is it to make a couple, so I can, for instance, equip myself with a trumpet for enemies with no sense of taste, and a saxophone against those with a weakness for smooth jazz?

Is that, like, even a thing? Or is it more accepted to just have two DIFFERENT weapon types?

How expensive is it to make a couple, so I can, for instance, equip myself with a trumpet for enemies with no sense of taste, and a saxophone against those with a weakness for smooth jazz?

Is that, like, even a thing? Or is it more accepted to just have two DIFFERENT weapon types?

YOu can do the entire game with only one weapon type. There is nothing that is glaringly brick-wall-ish if you limit yourself to just the Hunting Horn. There are fights that are much easier with specific weapon types, however, everything is doable with every weapon type. You just might have issues with certain monsters, but nothing you can't overcome.

• ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone know if the marina Granny ever carries raw meat? I seem to remember in Tri or P3rd that you could buy that. It would be nice to not have to grind endlessly killing those poor aptonoth.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Hammers are generally more damaging than War Horns, and thus better solo unless you're bringing a pair of NPC allies. But the songs are so good!

As for bladed weapons, well!

Lances and Gunlances are quite heavily defensive - the most defensive weapons really - and are easy to use, but can be quite tricky to master. There are a bunch of intricacies there, like guard advance for Lances and when to really use Wyvern Fire for Gunlances that could keep you interested. They have superb reach too, so there are no tails you won't be able to cut. They're good with status and elemental damage due to the quick little attacks they do, too.

Longsword, or the 'damage plank', is sometimes seen as a n00b weapon. This is because it's so easy to use! They changed it up a little so that the base damage is down from previous versions, thus you need to keep your Soul Level up - you charge up a bar as you attack, and you can use this bar to unleash a Soul Combo with R. If the combo hits every blow (the last hit is a spinning slice followed by a stylish resheathing of the weapon), you up your soul level and do more damage, with 3 levels (4 including base) of Soul Badassery. It has good reach for any tail or low-flying monster, has decent attack speed, movespeed when drawn, but has no block and thus requires good evasion skills. (I really like Longswords) Elemental and Status attacks are okay on these, but not as good as on Lance, Dual Blades or Sword and Shield.

Greatsword is Longsword's big brother. Slow, super-damaging, chargable hits. Huge reach. You can block with the blade. One of the harder to use weapons given how slow you move when its out, and how slow you attack. But it is DEVASTATING once you know monster patterns well enough to be in the right place at the right time to unleash a level 3 charged overhead slash. Not great for elemental or status attacks due to the nature of SINGLE BIG SMACKS.

Sword and Shield - lots of people dismiss this, and consider it low damage. It's not, if you take the right elemental blade with you for the monster you're fighting. It's the best weapon (second only to Dual Swords, I think) for applying elemental damage and status effects. Downsides include the block - it's not as solid as GS or Lance/Gunlance, and the reach. You might not be able to hit some tails unless you've knocked the monster down first.

Switchaxe - Civilisation. I'm terrible with them, so I can't really add much advice, but they've got Gunlance EXPLODES, Greatsword power, and Longsword attack speed. Fun fun. I need to practice with them.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    The best thing about Switchaxes is that the Axe Mode X+A attack is tailor-made to cut tails. It's an uppercut that does a ton of damage.
    Also, if you wear armor with Guard +2 on a Sword and Shield, the shield becomes as good as the Lance shield at mitigating damage.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Gigginox would be much friendlier if it stopped enraging itself every 2 seconds.

Lay off the exciteshrooms bro.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal