As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Friend CODES for Wii -- Confirmed

12346»

• Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    supabeast wrote: »
    Shit like this is why I didn't buy a Wii. Unfortunately my boyfriend spent an absurd amount of money to get me one for xmas, and I feel guilty if I don’t use the fucking thing. At least now I have one more excuse for not powering it on very often.
    Because of a one time entry of a 9-12 digit number?

Vapidity defined.

Not quite. Say you have 10 friends and 5 games. That's not a one-time entry. That's a fifty-times entry.

It's easy to see how this could spiral out of control.

Let's take bets on how long it will take for the Wii to have 5 good, online games.

Also: I still have a feeling we haven't totally figured out the intended relationship between Wii codes and individual game codes. Couldn't it be that Nintendo is planning on having the friend codes be an extra layer of 'security' around Pokemon and other young-skewing games while letting other games import friend codes directly from your Wii code?

That all games have individual codes doesn't mean that some of the T rated ones can't be essentially automated. You can auto-friend people in Metroid from quickmatch, but not in Pokemon (potentially)? Not having universal codes doesn't mean that friending a bunch of forumers is going to be painful in every situation.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What debate? The only thing confirmed(by one guy) so far is that you have to enter separate friend codes to build up your friends lists for separate games.

Anything else is merely conjecture and hearsay.

edit: And sorry if I come off as an asshole, because there is just so much wrong in the thread it's frustrating.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I call bullshit. Sorry but Nintendo wouldn't tell Wii Network something this big before Gamespy or IGN.

Also how does Pokémon Battle Revolution do it over in Japan?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe it's with individual FCs, Narian.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Willeth wrote: »

Are the Japanese pissed?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And before anybody calls that as proof, Elebits uses the global code for level training. People have theorized that PBR uses a code because D/P use them as well, necessitating the need for one. So the only two games out right now have conflicting evidence.

As an aside, I have always wondered. Is talking to random people across the country really that important? Your average multiplayer session is maybe 5 minutes. And after each session, you're spit back out into the random sea of people to search again. Is it really that essential to be able to speak to them? I mean, I can only speak for myself here, but the lack of being able to communicate to the kart passing me does not lessen my gaming experience. Now, being able to talk to people in a squad based game, or tactical setting? Yes, that would be key. But A) I can't really see those types of games being on the Wii, and B) being multiplayer if they were.

I'll reiterate what I said. Being able to briefly talk to the kart passing me in MK, the player controlling Samus in SSB, or the opposing trainer in Pokemon, does not lower my online experience. Having the ability to is a bonus. But again, for me personally, John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory takes effect and I don't want to talk to 80% of them.

I'm really curious. Is this ability so important to everybody? I don't know, maybe I'm just weird in the fact that I honestly don't care if I talk to Bob from Tulsa when I'm playing Mario Kart. As long as the driver isn't a rubberbanding AI, I'm happy.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just wanted to put in my 2cents worth. If the Wii uses a system exactly like the ds's, I think that will quite turn me off from playing online. It was the biggest hassle wanting to play online with some PA'ers but not wanting to keep adding codes to get it so everyone would be able to join. Coupled with kind of shitty matchmaking for random games, this really turned me off from some fun multiplayer games.

Now, if friend codes are required BUT they let you join games of your choosing (a la pc fpses), depending on the game, I'd probably be all right with that. The spontaneity is entirely lost when you have to work to go online, though, and to me that spontaneity is part of the fun.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't MK still have rubberbanding for human multiplayer, too?

Willeth on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't MK still have rubberbanding for human multiplayer, too?

Not enough to compete against snakers.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pfah. This is annoying and inconvenient, but not so much to warrant people saying "OMG I NEVER WII AGAIN."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *shrug* I just want to know when it became crucial for a console to support online gaming. A lot of people owned and loved PS2's, with barely any online support. I know it's the 'future' now, but we already have two consoles that are 'all about' online play this generation. I'll just go the same route as others, and buy a 360 for my online gaming needs (if there are any). In any case, if/when SSBB comes out, supporting onlne play, I will bite my lip and start entering codes.

For what it's worth, this is all speculation anyway, and it's not like Nintendo won't have the option of changing the plan later in the console's life. Besides, in most of my online gaming experience, I find myself playing more often against random people (which the DS system allows) than waiting for my friends to come online. We'll just have to wait and see. But, if you ask me, anyone who is 'giving up on Wii' simply because of their online system is a tool. I would've bought mine if it didn't have any online support at all. I think people have lost the ability to see online play as a 'feature' and now need it to be the defining characteristic of gaming. And here I thought it was about the games.

EDIT: Then again, this is a kind of 'online community for gamers' so one would not be remiss in expecting online play to be more important amongst us. Just be happy Nintendo is including online play at all. :)

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once you experience the 360's Live functionality, you'll realise how important it really is. Something as simple as being able to see your friends' online presence adds so much to the machine.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once you experience the 360's Live functionality, you'll realise how important it really is. Something as simple as being able to see your friends' online presence adds so much to the machine.

We were having a discussion like this (not really) last night. I was playing Eternal Darkness, and we were commenting that we were surprised that the sanity meter hasn't been ripped off in other games. The sanity meter makes the game, but it doesn't neccessarily make other games worse by comparison. You see where I'm going with that?

Nickle on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I understand all of the points of view here. Everyone wants different things from online and some people want nothing at all. However, it completely escapes me why some people are telling others that they're wrong for wanting more out of Nintendo's online service, ESPECIALLY since their middleware provider has gone on the record saying that their software can easily handle unified buddy lists, but Nintendo asked for game-specific friend code lists (whether the codes are the same or not, you still have to enter them in for each game).

To be entirely clear the middleware provider offered Nintendo the option of unified buddy lists and Nintendo specifically said no because they WANTED individual friend code lists.

All I want to do is add all of you nice fellows (and ladies) to my friend list and play against you in whatever game I happen to be in that has online, without entering 100 codes over again or scouring the forums and PMing everyone to make sure I have a mutually exclusive add. You know, jump online, see who else is playing games, jump in with them when they're ready. It doesn't need to be as feature-filled as live, but I'd like it to be functional without 100 forum posts with "I'm searching, are you searching?" "I have 2 lights, who got left out?!" "Are you sure you punched in my code, it's still grayed out!"

For my real friends it's not an issue but it's really destructive to an online gaming community.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    @Nickle: Sort of. The thing with Live though is that it's not just a neat little feature - once I've finished playing a game I hop to the dashboard and see what my friends are playing. Maybe from there I go into another game, inspired by them playing it, or that I want to play against them, whereas with a regular console I'd have just turned off after a save point. Hell, sometimes I flick on my 360 just to see what everyone else is doing, or to help decide what game to play - if a friend's playing something and I can join him, I can hop into that really easily. Hell, if I'm playing Dead Rising and someoe playing Gears invites me to the game, I can take my time and find a save point, then accept the invite and hot swap the discs, and be launched into the game he invited me to with minimal delay.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I understand all of the points of view here. Everyone wants different things from online and some people want nothing at all. However, it completely escapes me why some people are telling others that they're wrong for wanting more out of Nintendo's online service, ESPECIALLY since their middleware provider has gone on the record saying that their software can easily handle unified buddy lists, but Nintendo asked for game-specific friend code lists (whether the codes are the same or not, you still have to enter them in for each game).

To be entirely clear the middleware provider offered Nintendo the option of unified buddy lists and Nintendo specifically said no because they WANTED individual friend code lists.

All I want to do is add all of you nice fellows (and ladies) to my friend list and play against you in whatever game I happen to be in that has online, without entering 100 codes over again or scouring the forums and PMing everyone to make sure I have a mutually exclusive add. You know, jump online, see who else is playing games, jump in with them when they're ready. It doesn't need to be as feature-filled as live, but I'd like it to be functional without 100 forum posts with "I'm searching, are you searching?" "I have 2 lights, who got left out?!" "Are you sure you punched in my code, it's still grayed out!"

For my real friends it's not an issue but it's really destructive to an online gaming community.

I see where you're coming from, and I'll admit I'm not too happy with Nintendo's online service either. I just don't understand people disowning their Wii's because of this. You already have two perfectly viable options for online play in the other consoles. If anything, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Nintendo is going a 'different' route. That seems to be par for the course this gen. I see that in this community (myself included) and others like it, online will be a huge selling point. I don't have any numbers though, but even with 360's awesome live service, what percentage of the 360 user base actually plays online? I'm ignorant, I'm not trying to incite anything. I think great HD support and online play will be huge factors in the coming years, but I'm not sure they're as relevant now as they will be next gen.

tl;dr - I see that online play is important to the members of an online gaming forum. But is it going to cripple Nintendo with the Average Joe?

EDIT:
    @Nickle: Sort of. The thing with Live though is that it's not just a neat little feature - once I've finished playing a game I hop to the dashboard and see what my friends are playing. Maybe from there I go into another game, inspired by them playing it, or that I want to play against them, whereas with a regular console I'd have just turned off after a save point. Hell, sometimes I flick on my 360 just to see what everyone else is doing, or to help decide what game to play - if a friend's playing something and I can join him, I can hop into that really easily. Hell, if I'm playing Dead Rising and someoe playing Gears invites me to the game, I can take my time and find a save point, then accept the invite and hot swap the discs, and be launched into the game he invited me to with minimal delay.

I would say that's the definition of a neat feature. I won't argue that the system is excellent, but it doesn't really have any bearing on the quality of the game. Would I rather play Barbie's Fantastic Beauty Salon online with some friends, or Super Paper Mario without online support? Granted, I'd love some online paper mario-y action (how would they do that?), but I won't let the fact that it doesn't support online play affect my opinion of the game. Like I've admited before, though, I can see how that would be a bigger factor with other members of the community, though. With all the fancy advances in online matchmaking, pretty visuals, or unique controls, it's still all about the games.

EDIT (Again): For reference, back in the good old days, when we were having block wars over the SNES and Genesis, the debates were more game-centric than console-centric. i.e. "We've got Sonic!" "Mario is better!". I fear that now a days the games themselves are taking a back seat to the functions of the console. Sure, I can make Mii's with my Wii, or play online anytime with my 360, or set up my PSHome, but in the end, it's the games themselves that will determine the quality of the console. So, when it comes down to it, when I decide to get a 360 or a PS3 (and I will, most likely), it'll be because they have a game I want to play, not because I can stream music from my hard-drive to all of my online friends.

EDIT (one more time, I have too much to say, apparently): The crux of my argument is this: If you look at all thre consoles this generation, 360 is clearly going for online play, PS3 is a mix of online play/six axis, and Nintendo has crappy (reportedly) online support, but a huge change in control styles. Now, could we weigh 360's online service and Wii's remote? No, it's like apples and oranges. I, for one, am happy to see such a variety amongst the consoles. One person could argue that Wii's online service looks like crap compared to 360's, but another could argue that 360's games, while online, are still the same old (prettier) games, played with the same old controller. It's really just personal preference, and I think we should be happy that we have a choice at all, instead of just 3 cookie cutter systems. I just don't think it's fair to compare one console to another, considering that all three have their own agendas. It's like (crudely) saying the skinny jogger isn't as good as the fat dude, because he can't eat as much. If you choose your parameters, it's easy to declare any console 'better' or 'worse' than another, but on the whole, they're far too different from each other.

tl;dr - Am I going to throw away my Wii because it's online service isn't as robust as Live? No. Am I going to throw away my 360 because the controller isn't as innovative as the Wii remote? No.

Nickle on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think anyone really excepts Nintendo to pull a Live. I just want to be able to have one code or name for all my games and be able to see what games my friends are in and if they so choose to, invite me to their game. Even if this means you go into multiplayer and then you are connected, that would be fine. Live is tons more than that, but I'd like to see that simple functionality applied to both the Wii and the PS3.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, it's definitely a neat feature. But it's implications go beyond that. The 360's all about Live, and the fact that you're constantly connected is a bonus the other consoles seem to miss out on.

And if we were actually arguing about which consoles were better, then the games would enter itno it. But we're talking about an online service, and so the games have very little bearing.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »
    I don't think anyone really excepts Nintendo to pull a Live. I just want to be able to have one code or name for all my games and be able to see what games my friends are in and if they so choose to, invite me to their game. Even if this means you go into multiplayer and then you are connected, that would be fine. Live is tons more than that, but I'd like to see that simple functionality applied to both the Wii and the PS3.

Oh why don't you just lube up and head to little Timmy's house already and show him your high score.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Oh why don't you just lube up and head to little Timmy's house already and show him your high score.
    I... err... What?

I mean, I think Timmy's on vacation with his parents right now.

Wait, what?

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I... err... What?

Wait, what?

I knew you were cheating on me.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »

I... err... What?

Wait, what?

I knew you were cheating on me.

That's because you're easy.
    No friend codes to go through.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    And things get even more interesting...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=15081
    A portion of an article from NGC magazine. I haven’t seen proof of the article just yet, perhaps one of our readers can help.

“the UK version of Pokemon will not have the restrictions of the friend code system”

I know that Pokemon Battle Revolution was unique in Japan, seeing that it was the first online game for the Wii before the online infrastructure was set up. I am not too sure how things will work around the world.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SO THE PLOT THICKENS

Bloods End on