As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[God of War: Ascension] Interactive Deicide Simulator

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So everyone recommends playing on Hard by default if you've played all the other GoW games?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    I'm putting it on hold until they fix the sound, but I've read about the Trial of Archemedes and it sounds like it's incredibly frustrating on Hard. If they don't patch in some health orbs or something to make it manageable, this might be the first GoW I play through on Normal.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I forgot Redbox is a thing, so I grabbed this tonight so I can play it on the cheap and run through it real quick

I hope it worth the $6-8 dollars

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah

Yeah I think I'm done with God of War until/unless they make some pretty sweeping changes

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    So everyone recommends playing on Hard by default if you've played all the other GoW games?

If you want to actually enjoy the combat and the new rage meter, then NO.

I'm only still playing on hard because I don't want to have to redo 4 hours of the game. The way hard mode is balanced totally ruins the fun of the combat. You basically sit there and block the whole time and grapple/throw enemies over and over until everything is dead. Sure you can try to really utilize Kratos' other attacks, but the way hit stun works you are only going to get frustrated.

I play almost all games on hard, or at least one setting up from the default. So its not a matter of actual challenge here that makes it frustrating, its that you are punished by the camera and doing anything that might make sense in other God of War games.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This week has not been conducive to gaming, and since Tuesday I've literally only played this game one time. Hoping to finally get some good time with it this weekend.

I'm playing on hard, and I've played all the GoW games on hard. With what little I played on Tuesday, it didn't seem that bad to me yet, but really I was still in what I'd consider the tutorial missions. I was just fighting grunts plus the boss.

The one thing I noticed, the first boss was not nearly as brutal as fighting Poseidon in GoW3. That guy was brutal on hard. In fact, in GoW3, I'd say beating Poseidon on hard was sort of a rite of passage, and the game got considerably less hard after that, but man, the first 20 minutes of that game while you were on top of Gaia were brutal.

The fight with Zeus
    (both the 2D portion and the fight inside of Gaia)
    , especially the latter, were basically gauging how well you could guess which direction to dodge in and frantically twitch response damage at Zeus for like a solid four to five minutes. I think it took me like four hours total to beat both sections.

I'm definitely hearing audio desync in multiplayer, but the multiplayer IS fun. However there are clearly players that have better items and stuff than you, which is evident by the fact that you can go in completely unarmored and be gimped for no reason. Those players tend to destroy you in matches, and I played a 1v1v1 match (something about an Oracle) and one guy was about 500 points ahead of me and this other doofus, and said doofus kept attacking me, which would just let the guy in the lead sit back and jump in for killing blows. I was just sitting there wondering if doofus knew he had doomed us both.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Finished this in about 7 hours, give or take a few minutes. While I enjoyed it, this is the first GoW game I've played where I had no desire to play through it again after I was done. I really liked it while I was playing it, but after I finished I was just indifferent to the whole thing. I guess because I started playing Tomb Raider afterwards and GoW now seems very archaic in comparison to it and most other games I've played recently.

It was worth the playthrough, but overall I still feel it was an unnecessary game.

• Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    Call me a graphics whore. Ascension is orgasm inducing. Worth the price of admission right there.

Also color me immune to franchise fatigue. I have not had my fill of Kratos yet, or those adorable Gears of War scamps. Hell I've played all five Assassin's Creeds day one and I could not be more psyched for Black Flag. If Call of Duty and Madden/NBA/MLB/NHL/FIFA bros get an overabundance of what they love why can't I?

I don't think even the people most critical of the games (I include myself here) are sick of GoW because of Kratos, they're becoming tired of it because it's just fluffing up the same story arc in a very convenient way.

If they can do something really exciting with Kratos, then I'm all for it, it's just going to be a hell of a lot harder than doing something patently new.

People who have been with God of War from the beginning were ready to let go of Kratos when they knew the story would end with GoW3. It doesn't diminish his achievements or make him less of a character, especially when with good writing they can reincorporate him.

The story is first and foremost a Greek Tragedy. One of the things you have to accept in a tragedy is that the hero dies at the end. It's the bang in which he goes out that determines how tragic the story was.

This is where Jaffe originally saw GoW going (from a cursory google search from Gametrailers TV)
    Essentially, Jaffe suggested that the battle with Zeus would be set at the beginning of the game. Kratos would kill Zeus, creating a vortex that would suck all mythologies - Greek, Egyptian, Norse etc. - into one world. While in this world, Kratos would ultimately stop the people from believing in these gods, thereby ushering in the new age of religions, beginning with Christianity. The ending of the game would see you playing as the Three Wise Men. The origin of the Sphinx would also be explained as a monster that Kratos froze with Medusa's Head, whilst Kratos ultimate fate would be to sacrifice himself to live with his family in Hades.

This is a bit more wordy than what I originally gathered from behind the scenes DVD's and all that, but it shows that Jaffe meant to make this far more expansive than what it is now.

I believe Barlog wanted him to become something more along the lines of Death/The Grim Reaper, which invoked a more 'pagan' ending. I don't know if I would have accepted this ending but I'm sure there's a right way to do it in there somewhere.

Stig's ending I'm sure we all know by now, which is to tie it strictly back to its Greek roots, but unfortunately this has kind of locked them in the cycle they're in now.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I was thinking about picking this up, but I just don't know.

For me, Kratos feels finished. Not that he's old hat - I can always go for a lunatic killing minotaurs or whatever - but that his character arc ended for me in God of War 3. Hell, it didn't even end for me with the credits rolling or with his death.
    It was at the end of the sea of regret, where in order to let go of his pain he had to be willing to accept what he did in the past. He'd spent decades trying to erase it from his mind, make it a thing that had never been either through forgetfulness or resurrection or whatever, but in the end he had to be able to embrace his love for his family and then let go.

They were ready to forgive him - the thing is that he was never able to forgive himself. But in that moment he was able to let go, and mourn, and find some measure of... not happiness, but peace. There was no more killing to be done.

It was the best moment in the entire series, that one quiet second in a sea of blackness.

Of course the rest of the ending pretty much flies in the face of that in terms of tone, but I take what I can get, here.

I just thought that was all that needed to be said about the character, and God of War despite everything has been character-driven for a while, if only because its mechanics are usually so samey. When the character is finished speaking, why make him say more?

dN0T6ur.png
  • evilive72evilive72 TexasRegistered User regular
    This is the first God of War game that I have truly disliked. A lot. Theres just something "wrong" with it to me.

Nintendo Network ID: Strummer72
    XBL Gamertag: evilive7
    Playstation ID: evilive7
    3DS: 4699-7349-0534
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    evilive72 wrote: »
    This is the first God of War game that I have truly disliked. A lot. Theres just something "wrong" with it to me.

I'm having trouble clicking with this game too. And I loved all the other games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's not a very good game. The combat sucks (nothing gets staggered.....except you! Constantly!), the Audio is a mess (The soundtrack isn't nearly on the same tier as any previous games, and they don't have it at proper levels) and there's no real punch or weight to anything.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    I don't think it's all that bad, but it's not grabbing the way the others did. Glad I didn't buy it. It's worth a playthrough, but not a purchase, unless you're into the multiplayer i guess. I'm not gonna bother.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    From what I've played of it, it's probably the worst game in the series and that's not because of burn out and I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying it's a bad game (it's still much better than Dante's Inferno), just disappointing. I think Sony Santa Monica have experienced the same growing pains that Naughty Dog and Guerrilla did, with one experienced team being split in two and a lot of inexperienced guys being promoted into new positions.

I'm still enjoying it and what little I've played of multiplayer was fantastic, but the lack of polish really hurts the game. Much like Uncharted 3, I think a 6 or so month delay would've helped it a ton.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2013
    I'm not really sure if a delay and polish would've helped, since a lot of the issues are honestly in the direction. Mostly in the lack of cohesion any of it has. The whole opening sequence is an absolute mess, which is unfortunate since those are generally the coolest bits. It just drags on and on and there's not very much actual interaction with the player, insofar as trying to let them know what the hell is going on.
    Yes, Kratos was captured by the Furies and has been tortured by them....I guess. And Hecatonchires was the original betrayer or something...then one of the Furies that's barely named is dropping bugs from her chest and they're turning the Hecatonchires into a bugbeast, bit by bit. It's dumb, first off, and none of it is talked about or anything. It's setpiece to setpiece without any framing and barely any sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure I fought the exact same Hand Monster twice, despite murdering the shit out of it the first time in a cutscene. I guess....they just grew another one off-screen? It's got more arms, yes, but it was honestly annoying to see the exact same thing when the first fight with it was tedious and it was after(? or around) that goddamn annoying fight at Hecatonchires' head.

I didn't think the cinematic camera thing would be that bad. It is. It's absolutely terrible and combined with Hard mode (since I don't want to bother playing this mess more than I have to) means very little fun is being had.

On a separate note, since I'm whinging about the narration and stuff, (fairly-early spoilers)
    Who the fuck is the shadow guy that gives Kratos that necklace or whatever at the start of Kirra Village? I honestly have no damn clue.

Darth_Mogs on
    One thing that bugs me is, why is Kratos so mute in this game? I'm so used to him yelling at everybody.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I'm not really sure if a delay and polish would've helped, since a lot of the issues are honestly in the direction. Mostly in the lack of cohesion any of it has. The whole opening sequence is an absolute mess, which is unfortunate since those are generally the coolest bits. It just drags on and on and there's not very much actual interaction with the player, insofar as trying to let them know what the hell is going on.
    Yes, Kratos was captured by the Furies and has been tortured by them....I guess. And Hecatonchires was the original betrayer or something...then one of the Furies that's barely named is dropping bugs from her chest and they're turning the Hecatonchires into a bugbeast, bit by bit. It's dumb, first off, and none of it is talked about or anything. It's setpiece to setpiece without any framing and barely any sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure I fought the exact same Hand Monster twice, despite murdering the shit out of it the first time in a cutscene. I guess....they just grew another one off-screen? It's got more arms, yes, but it was honestly annoying to see the exact same thing when the first fight with it was tedious and it was after(? or around) that goddamn annoying fight at Hecatonchires' head.

I didn't think the cinematic camera thing would be that bad. It is. It's absolutely terrible and combined with Hard mode (since I don't want to bother playing this mess more than I have to) means very little fun is being had.

On a separate note, since I'm whinging about the narration and stuff, (fairly-early spoilers)
    Who the fuck is the shadow guy that gives Kratos that necklace or whatever? I honestly have no damn clue.

The camera issues are part of the polish, so they theoretically could've fixed them and tweaked the issues people have with the combat system out (though the complaints that harder difficulty require a reliance on dodging has been true throughout the entire series).

As for the narrative issues, well there are pacing issues but if there weren't so many other issues, it don't think it would be anywhere near as noticeable. GoW2 was terrible when it came to pacing and story but it's still one of the best games in the series.

I'm really glad I'm not the only person that had almost zero clue what was going on with the story and that noticed that Kratos had apparently been turned into a near mute at some point early on.

I will say I feel this is the worst of the GoW series, including the PSP remasters, at least to me.

Wydrion wrote: »
    The fight with Zeus
    (both the 2D portion and the fight inside of Gaia)
    , especially the latter, were basically gauging how well you could guess which direction to dodge in and frantically twitch response damage at Zeus for like a solid four to five minutes. I think it took me like four hours total to beat both sections.

Not trying to sound like a dick by saying this, but if you're trying to dodge Zeus, you're doing it wrong.

That guy is super easy, even on Hard. All you gotta do is use the Parry+Riposte attack. The one where your shoulder glows gold right before he lands his attack. You don't want to dodge most of Zeus's attacks. You want him to attack you and then you parry it and shove it back in his face. Super easy. There's only like 1 attack you want to dodge. I forget what it is, but I know it's something he telegraphs and you have plenty of time to avoid it.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Ehhhhh I didn't like it much but I still think it was better than chains of olympus.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    I really didn't mind COO too much. It's the last GoW game I played and I thought it was generally ok. There wasn't a point in it where I just wanted to turn off the game and say the hell with it. I've had quite a few moments like that in Ascension so far.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think my problem with the game is it just feels like a gigantic step backward, and even if that is by design since it's the earliest game in the series, it was the wrong choice. The less refined combat, the boring enemies, mute Kratos, etc. just made me feel like I was playing the first game in a series gameplay-wise rather than story-wise. And yeah, it was rather directionless.

After what they accomplished with 3, with it basically being an 8-hour interactive cutscene in the best way, going back to the style of the earlier games was very jarring. I don't know how else to say it, but it was like they went back to being a video game after they had accomplished making an interactive story. Graphically I'd put it on par with 3, I'd even rate some of it above 3 because I genuinely enjoyed the varied environments compared to 3's Olympus.

I know they wanted to present a less powerful Kratos, and story-wise I can see why, but as far as gameplay it just made it frustrating. I'm not tired of Kratos or GoW, I just want a continued story in a fresh direction rather than a retread. I won't say I didn't enjoy it as I was playing it, but once the experience was over I was just done with it. Traded it in within an hour toward Tomb Raider, which damn near floored me as the difference between the two in terms of the way the game is presented is massive. It's like they were released 10 years apart.

Oh boy. I'm stuck in the
    Delphi Catacombs

because the doors won't open after the encounter with the asshats that summon dark versions of themselves and burrow in the ground.

Fuck this game.

Yeesh. The fight where they first give you the fire blades is pretty rough on hard. After failing about 10 times I set the game aside yesterday. I'll try again today, but that fight is a little ridiculous. Those satyrs or whatever they are just never stop spawning.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The story seems fine to me, granted I just watched all I'd the story cutscenes one after another so if its split up by long periods of gameplay I guess that's what's making it seem hat way.

Alright, so I've finished it now and I really think this would've been one of my favourite games in the series if they'd been given another 6 months to polish it up. The story starts out slow but gets stronger the further you get into the game and by the end, was probably the best in the series. The end sequence was amazing, the puzzles were great and the repair/decay feature was really cool. What hurt the experience was almost entirely fixable, whether they were bugs (including the audio glitches), camera positioning or crap checkpoints. I can't really say I noticed any real downgrades to the combat on Normal but once I do my Hard playthrough, I guess I'll find out.

Speaking of which, I think I'll wait until they've patched some of the issues out before starting my Hard playthrough. Until they do, I guess I'll just go play Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This is the buggiest GoW game I've played yet. I've actually fallen out of the world mid fight and died, or gotten stuck in the environment during a moving platform sequence and died. Among other minor bugs here and there.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Todd Papy's twitter feed is all class, though. Any vitriol I may have had concerning their dev team is basically gone after reading his stuff.

In short, they're hard at work on patch 1.03 which is supposed to fix a lot of glitches and the audio issues. He's well aware of a lot of stuff and he's personally giving people advice on the Trials of Archimedes. They're also about to do a big sweep of forums to hear 'normal people' feedback with criticisms as opposed to listening to the obviously paid off IGN and other media outlets.

Also, this is badassery. High concept piece that he didn't comment on being saved for a future title, but I think fighting inside of a giant hourglass would be sick.
    GOWA-hour_glass_jung_park.jpg

The fact that they are listening to fans about their experiences is a good thing. Maybe if enough people state the same thing regarding the Trials of Ascension they will release a patch to tune the encounter to not be so brutal.

Very unlikely they will fix the camera issues, simply because that requires a lot more work than simply tweaking some numbers in a database.

edited March 2013
    Wydrion wrote: »
    Todd Papy's twitter feed is all class, though. Any vitriol I may have had concerning their dev team is basically gone after reading his stuff.

In short, they're hard at work on patch 1.03 which is supposed to fix a lot of glitches and the audio issues. He's well aware of a lot of stuff and he's personally giving people advice on the Trials of Archimedes. They're also about to do a big sweep of forums to hear 'normal people' feedback with criticisms as opposed to listening to the obviously paid off IGN and other media outlets.
    A 7.8 out of 10 and a bottom line containing the statement, "Kratos' weakest outing yet" is paid off? I loathe to think what an unpaid review would have consisted of, but I imagine feces, yes actual feces being used in some way.

The_Spaniard on
    7.8 falls within the 7-9 window that most people claim the industry uses for most reviews. Sure, sometimes they don't, in the rare case where a game is so abysmally bad that they have to break outside of that range. As Mike and Jerry called them, "The Forbidden Numbers."

But I also don't really feel, personally, that Ascension deserves much lower than a 7.8. It isn't a terrible game. It just isn't the best GoW.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    7.8 falls within the 7-9 window that most people claim the industry uses for most reviews. Sure, sometimes they don't, in the rare case where a game is so abysmally bad that they have to break outside of that range. As Mike and Jerry called them, "The Forbidden Numbers."

But I also don't really feel, personally, that Ascension deserves much lower than a 7.8. It isn't a terrible game. It just isn't the best GoW.
    I just find a fair amount of humor in, "Worst game in GoW series." OMG paid off! Warglebargle!

edited March 2013
    The reviews for Ascension are generally 8.0 and above, despite it being touted as 'the weakest game in the series' and it being, for all intents and purposes, a fucking trainwreck in need of severe patching. They basically released an unfinished product.

My post was saying that the way Todd Papy and crew are handling it is worth a second chance. It doesn't change the fact that media outlets have basically unanimously ignored the fact that the audio is out of sync or nonexistent and Todd Papy is responding individually to handfuls of people posting game-breaking glitches.

So yeah, paid to look the other way in the face of these downfalls, absolutely. They comment largely on how the fighting isn't quite there, or they distract you with the bros before hos bullshit, but you should really be asking is the game playable, and I would say for a lot of people it hasn't been, and that's unacceptable.

Edit: To further clarify what I'm saying, just look at how Blizzard handled Diablo 3's release: Evasive answers and backpedaling, culminating with their lead designer leaving. Now contrast that to these guys owning up to their mistakes and personally answering every person that posts on their wall without hiding behind a veil of customer service representatives. It shows humility.

Wydrion on
    The Blizzard D3 release is nothing like this. The game worked at launch, minus a couple first day server issues and an achievement bug. The lead designer did not leave in shame. He left like 6 months after the game came out and he still works for Blizzard. They did not say what project he's on, which means he's either working on Titan or on an unannounced project.

And I doubt we'll see any heads rolling for this. Really all they need to do is release a few bug and balance fixes and it will be an ok game.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    http://m.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/buy-god-of-war-ascension-get-a-whole-pantheon-of-war-free/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Buy Ascension between now and the 24th and get every other God of War game for free.

I wonder if I can just get the PSP games or if its that super collection of all 5.

Viskod on
    Viskod wrote: »
    http://m.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/buy-god-of-war-ascension-get-a-whole-pantheon-of-war-free/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Buy Ascension between now and the 24th and get every other God of War game for free.

I wonder if I can just get the PSP games or if its that super collection of all 5.

Should also be added that this is apparently only if you order through GameStop.com.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

Should also be added that this is apparently only if you order through GameStop.com.
    Man bet a lot of people are really pissed off now.