Options

[WiiU] THIS THREAD IS OVER. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Or a P.N.03 sequel/remake. I'd be OK with that.

Blame Capcom for that

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Blame Capcom for that

I have P.N. 03, I've played P.N. 03, and I can't say that I didn't enjoy P.N. 03. I guess I just don't understand why they decided to marry that gameplay with those controls. Does anyone know? I know they were kind of trying to mash up a third person shmup but it just isn't fun.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    The game is rhythm based to a large extent, so I guess that was the intent? A good variety of stylistic moves that are performed best when a certain pace is met?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    A whole new generation enjoying Super Metroid
    xW2jQMe.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Cooincidently this is a large part of the reason Miiverse is awesome.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I started playing Super Metroid for the first time. I'm not stuck. I'm lost.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think for most people the central idea of rhythm-based combat was just too abstract to grasp and translate into actual gameplay, and it's unclear that this is what the game expects of you in the first place. Adding to that, the aesthetical choice of making everything shiny white may have seemed like an awesome and unique stylistic idea in Kamiya's head, in the real world it can come across as cheap copy-pastework and make for exceedingly dreary locales. Liberal doses of cyber-juice splatters probably would've gone a long way to remedy the overbearing "Dull" factor, and actual visual cues for rhythm could've clued players in to what the game is about in a much more readily apparent way.

#ZephGrumps

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I started playing Super Metroid for the first time. I'm not stuck. I'm lost.

It's 1994 all over again.

Be thankful you have the internet!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wasn't P.N.0.3. by Mikami, not Kamiya?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

If so, my bad. It's five in the morning and Media & Democracy has started to fuck with my recollection.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Why can't Metroid crawl?"

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

Yes it was.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Blame Capcom for that

I have P.N. 03, I've played P.N. 03, and I can't say that I didn't enjoy P.N. 03. I guess I just don't understand why they decided to marry that gameplay with those controls. Does anyone know? I know they were kind of trying to mash up a third person shmup but it just isn't fun.

We do not badmouth P.N.03 in this house!

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Blame Capcom for that

The controls actually fit the game darn well.
    They were in fact several years ahead of other Capcom games.
    Unfortunately I don't think the game did a good job at teaching the player about the controls and how/when to use them.
    Hold down Z and ...
    ...tap left to instantly turn 90 degrees left.
    ...tap down to turn 180 degrees.
    ...tap right to turn 90 degrees right.
    Or just tap the triggers to sidestep in that direction.
    And a lot of other things that was perfect for the game.
    Unfortunately Capcom also forgot to tell people kind of game this was . . .
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    The game is rhythm based to a large extent, so I guess that was the intent? A good variety of stylistic moves that are performed best when a certain pace is met?

No, it's not.
    One of the things that hurt the game (in a BIG way, I believe) was the belief that this was a rhythm based game. It's not.
    It's a 3rd person (over-the-shoulder) shmup.
    But Capcom bears a lot of the blame for people misunderstanding what the game was, and how it should be played.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I always thought that the fact that Vanessa (the main character) dances was supposed to be the clue.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited May 2013
    As did everyone else. With good reason. (I think the first trailer featured a heavy emphasis on rhythm, with here moving in rhythm to the music, tapping her foot in rhythm, etc.)
    Some speculate that it was originally intended to be a more rhythm oriented game, and that they dropped that ... for what ever reason. :(

[edit]
    I'd loooooove to get that game.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    Jazz hands

pn03_zps0ef8ef30.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Jazz hands

pn03_zps0ef8ef30.jpg

Are you saying "Kinext 2.0 exclusive confirmed"? :(

• Options
    You know what I want, I've come to realise?

A fucking Baldur's Gate game.

I loaded up the old Gamecube version of Dark Alliance with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, and goddamn was it fun to play with him. The DnD mechanics that lie at the core of the franchise could come to its true right for the first time on a console, with really interesting implementations for Dungeon Mastering via the Gamepad.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Yeah, a D&D game is a pretty common idea for the Wii U, and it's a damn good one.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlS6Us7GQSY

This is probably the only Dungeons & Dragons game we'll ever get...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Went back to NSMBU to get all the stars and finish the special levels.

zlCfzQ_HGEo9KNIfaV

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    P.N. 03 is very interesting. If I had a turbo controller, it'd be great. I'm not sure why you have to rapidly tap the button to fire instead of hold it down, but it's the one thing that breaks the game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Went back to NSMBU to get all the stars and finish the special levels.

zlCfzQ_HGEo9KNIfaV

Oh Patrick... 8->

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    Yeah, a D&D game is a pretty common idea for the Wii U, and it's a damn good one.

Some of the greatest testaments to gaming as a medium capable of sustaining and presenting complex narratives and characters has also come from the works derivative of DnD. I'd certainly welcome some more of that, not just in general, but on a Nintendo console in particular because it fills a perceived void in their catalogue.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlS6Us7GQSY

This is probably the only Dungeons & Dragons game we'll ever get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MO7fkZc5o

Though certainly not a bad game by any means, it's not quite what I, or most other people who seek a DnD experience, look for.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    xW2jQMe.jpg

y cant metroid crawl?

XD

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    P.N. 03 is very interesting. If I had a turbo controller, it'd be great. I'm not sure why you have to rapidly tap the button to fire instead of hold it down, but it's the one thing that breaks the game.

But some suits could be upgraded with automatic fire, right?
    (Still 100% agree. One of the reasons I had a hard time justify buying the HD version of 1942.)

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    xW2jQMe.jpg

y cant metroid crawl?

XD

Kids these days...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I know I've got an advantage in that I know all the game mechanics, but I've almost entirely forgotten the world layout, and this game always reminds me how much fun it can be to just get lost.

If I could just use the gamepad to write tiny notes on the map to indicate places I'd like to revisit I'd be thrilled.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My problem is I tend to bomb jump to places I shouldn't. I don't know any of the advanced sequence breaking stuff people do, but I can bomb jump and wall jump like nobody's bees knees.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Holy crud! I thought DnD arcade was going to be XBOX arcade exclusive. Now I'm more pumped to get it on my Wii U.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Man. Remember a time before tutorials and hand holding? Nintendo remembers.

I wonder if the very existence of Miiverse means that they are going to start making games more difficult, sort of like how the Super Guide stuff in Mario has let them make those batshit hard.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I was tempted to buy Super Ghouls'n Ghosts. Then I remembered that I hated that game, and the Master System Ghouls'n Ghosts is way better.
    So I bought Mario 2 instead. :P

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Man. Remember a time before tutorials and hand holding? Nintendo remembers.

I wonder if the very existence of Miiverse means that they are going to start making games more difficult, sort of like how the Super Guide stuff in Mario has let them make those batshit hard.

They could strike deals with Bradley Games and the like to make youtube vids, in turn for some ad revenue. :)

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    Y cant metroid crawl?

My new favorite thing ever. My combination of sympathy for those experiencing all this frustration and my feelings of superiority combine to make awesomeness.

Off to download Super Metroid.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Y cant metroid crawl?

My new favorite thing ever. My combination of sympathy for those experiencing all this frustration and my feelings of superiority combine to make awesomeness.

Off to download Super Metroid.

Now that they've implemented the ability to post screenshots in replies, be sure to be as helpful as possible! :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ycantmetroidcrawl.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    My problem is I tend to bomb jump to places I shouldn't. I don't know any of the advanced sequence breaking stuff people do, but I can bomb jump and wall jump like nobody's bees knees.

Yes, I've done this many times. I get stuck, and against my better judgement, bomb jump my ass to some place I shouldn't be yet just so that I can be somewhere. And then I'm totally fucked for it.

Games these days would never give you that kind of freedom. Le sigh.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Anyone else tempted to give clueless players detailed instructions on how to perform a sequence break instead of a real solution to their current obstacle?

Edit: Ooh, for bonus points, wait for someone else to post the correct solution, and then act completely flabbergasted that you could actually do that, like the sequence break was what you thought you were supposed to do the whole time.

jothki on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be leaving for work around 7am tomorrow and won't get home until 5 or 6pm. With a new Nintendo Direct happening, I'm pretty sure this thread will get over 100 pages. Should I start a new one now or just let someone else do it instead?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.