Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #1

• toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    wow.

who would have thot that lack of drama could be so heartwarming.

everyone being understanding and nice and honest - and it still pulls at the heartstrings.

u've got something special here yo.

Cambiatamegascorcher
    also - finally a stinger.

like seriously - lrr, and no stingers? unthinkable.

and to be fair, Kiko felt not so great about Katie's T, so u know...totes understandable who Amy chose.

Also: "efficiency." ho man, LOL.

ps. toaster needs to learn to put all his thots in one post i think, no?

Cambiata
  • NaptivaNaptiva Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm really enjoying that the show itself isn't taking itself too seriously. I loved Jerry & Mike's approach to the elimination and how they weren't afraid to take liberties by putting their own spin on things. When they got into the car with the loser and talked to them about how great they were, it was really great of them to do that.

As a warning for anyone reading comments, if you haven't watched/finished the episode yet, STOP NOW as some of the comments spoil the outcome.

Naptiva on
    NijhazerCarionis
  • theredfishtheredfish Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, tearing the strip in front of him was gruesome.

NijhazerCuriousPencilCarionisSleepwalker9risingtableDiplominatorNotaCylondarklao
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "Go out to the shame hole" had me rolling.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    toaster_pimpgodmode
    edited March 2013
    CAMBIATA / 8:50AM
    "Go out to the shame hole" had me rolling.

the shame hole is just...it's just the car u came here in. YES.

-sweet, thanks for the quoting tip cambiata.

toaster_pimp on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    <blockquote>CAMBIATA / 8:50AM
    "Go out to the shame hole" had me rolling.</blockquote>

the shame hole is just...it's just the car u came here in. YES.

ps. how do i quote someone?

Go to the forums, find the person's post you want to quote, then click the "quote" button.

I don't know if tags work on the comments section, but if they do then you would use
    [quote][/quote]

If you're typing it in manually.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    Nijhazer
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Excellent. Also, very good. This forum supports spoiler tags, so I'll use them here (edit: It appears that spoiler tags make it so that whatever you put in them can only be seen when viewing the thread on the PA Forums, available here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176019/strip-search-elimination-1/p2):
    My favorite part about Katie's comic is the blinking light that says "NO NO NO".

Nijhazer on
    CambiataDiplominator
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I know the transition from panel 2 to 3 seemed week on Alex's, but I laughed out loud reading it. The image of Mike getting all up in his face about some 'pong was great.

That said, Katie's had such a great overall presentation, plus she made the left alien look like it's face was a pair of hairy balls. She went for the subliminal Mike Appeal.

Great work.

Elbasunu on
    NijhazerCarionisfightinfilipinoTofystedeth
  • drgill1972drgill1972 Registered User regular
    Man, I hate to see that much energy and charisma leave so early. This challenge was tragedy waiting to happen- 2 really talented people who bring so much to the show, brought to a head in the VERY first elimination.

Alex- You, sir, are awesome. Had you not been here, I would never have known your comic existed. Now it's one I check alongside PA, and have a good laugh.

NijhazerCarionisNotaCylon
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Site admins, any chance of getting support for spoiler tags in the version of this thread that appears on the Strip Search site?
    Just watched it again... I love how Katie didn't tell the rest of the artists about the Dungeon, but that she did leave an encouraging message in the Dungeon for future elimination candidates.

Someone else mentioned that Katie was wearing a seat belt even though the car wasn't going anywhere, and now I can't avoid seeing that whenever I watch this; it cracks me up every time.

ElbasunuCarionisrisingtable
  • THRA5H3RTHRA5H3R Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Maybe I'm missing something, but did Mike and Jerry basically reject a comic they would have drawn some years earlier? I had no problem following where Alex was going with that idea.

Edit: Yes, obviously one must watch the whole episode before mouthing off. I guess I'm impressed that they could look beyond the familiar to find enough hairs to split in making a decision between two completely different styles with only a theme in common.

This probably explains why I don't appreciate art like some people seem to be able to.

THRA5H3R on
    CarionisSleepwalker9
  • lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    marclsab wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how Katie had to buckle up to just sit in the SUV that wasn't going anywhere?

Yea well that's because the way they worded the unnecessary federal seatbelt law - a cop can give you a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt if the car is running, even if it's not moving. I saw some douche cop give a 70 year old guy a ticket for this when he was parked sorting his mail outside the post office, and kept the car on to keep the heat on in the middle of winter. :(

...or OCD / stress. It was cute. :D

I really liked this episode, moreso than previous episodes. The lack of the wood post host was refreshing, and I enjoyed Mike/Jerry's attitudes towards the whole thing, especially them encouraging Alex at the end, and not being super mean throughout. Gotta love the super sized Wacom tablet screens ($$$)... kinda wonder if any artist isn't familiar with a Wacom & if that would hinder them in the elimination rounds?

On a funny side note, re-watched some of the artist intro vids on youtube, and related videos was Mike/Jerry's Q&A from PAX or East 2011 (can't remember, think it was prime), and decided to watch it never having seen it before. Like 3/4 of the way in, who gets up to ask a question at the mic, but Alex! :)

HappyaxCarionisDasilodavi
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    THRA5H3R wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but did Mike and Jerry basically reject a comic they would have drawn some years earlier? I had no problem following where Alex was going with that idea.

Yeah, and Mike himself said he would lose the challenge. The problem is they are looking for someone who is like on the same level they are now, not someone who was on their level 10 years ago. It might seem a little unfair, but they are looking for the best.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    CarionismageormikeNotaCylon
  • wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Man, I can't watch these things all the way through without pausing to rest my eyes. They are getting so tired from the constant rolling. Mike, Jerry, and Graham are all so stiff, it's just so uncomfortable. At the very least there isn't a whole lot of that scraping the bottom of human barrel drummed up drama in this. I hope that the hosts loosen up a little over the course of the show and the contestants remain upbeat about the whole thing. It may remain watchable.

cybrid81WangchangbackupSleepwalker9DasilodavidewordePanda LikerCuriousPencil
  • CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Floored by Mike's response to Alex's question: “I’m absolutely flattered [by the fact that your work looks like mine]. What’s interesting is seeing you copy my mistakes.”

WOW – that’s a mastery of something right there.

A great episode, a worthy winner in Katie's strip, and a finely balanced JekylCop/HydeCop Siamese juggling duo approach from "The Creators".

I'm pretty certain Katie will have told everyone what the challenge is for the outward-bound nominees: it strikes me that she's too focused on making comics to bother with strategic bullshittery.

CuriousPencil on
    Cambiatasyldenndarklao
  • zegotazegota Registered User regular
    It's insane that Katie drew that in an hour and a half. That vibration panel? Awesome.

Alex's wasn't quite up to snuff, but it was still better executed than a lot of comics I see. I think he's got a bright future.

I've been team Abby/Amy, but I might need to add Katie to that. She seriously impressed me.

Elbasunurisingtabledeworde
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    People should really go to the Strip Search site and follow the link in the losers Bio to their comic. A few chuckle worthy strips there and it should get better.

ClogarElbasunu
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I genuinely liked both comics.

Katie's was a more interesting concept, but the layout was a bit distracting (it threw off the pacing enough that I ended up not laughing at it) and the design of the alien on the left just annoyed me a bit.
    The main criticism of Alex's (the weak transition) was a fair one, but it genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Either way, I don't particularly think either of them should've been the first one to go home (Amy made it that way though, so oh well), when there are weaker artists/comics/designers there. And personally, I thought they had 2 of the stronger shirt designs as well (the SS thing is really a minor mistake considering the time limit, is something that can be easily fixed, and is something that you can have someone else point out to you before putting it up on your website.).

d.TFFoS on
    ClogarElbasunu
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    Pretty stand up guys to have a nice sendoff like that at the end, Mike and Jerry keep showing us all why we like them so much.

ClogarElbasunutoaster_pimp
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    It's a shame to see Alex go. After the fax machine contest I was really looking forward to seeing what he and Maki would get up to; they seemed to bring forth the funny in each other. I agree that Katie's strip was the better one though.

ClogarElbasunumakitoriCambiataTofystedeth
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    Alex's really could've used a fourth panel in between the dialogue and launching out of the stratosphere, but I suspect that was a time issue. Katie's strip was definitely better, but Alex's had the potential to be funnier given a little more time. He just tried to take on too much for an inexperienced cartoonist in an hour and a half, and it didn't pan out.

Katie's was also much, much better from a purely technical perspective. You could argue that Alex would've been able to clean his up given time to actually produce and post it, but I was pretty astonished by how finished Katie's looked given the short timeframe. Other than coloring, hers looked like a final draft, while Alex's looked like a concept. Being able to turn out that kind of quality in a short amount of time is incredible, and it's going to be a huge asset for the rest of her run on the show.

Cambiatatynic
  • BottlesCBottlesC Registered User new member
    I agree that Alex's definitely needed an extra panel - it was almost as if he was constraining himself too much to the Penny-Arcade formula. I don't know if it was in his best interest to do something that felt so much like a PA comic, rather than showing off an original style.

In truth, I think Katie could have used another panel, too, right before her last. But her comic was really great, especially given the constraints. And she really let her style shine through, to her benefit.

Also it was great to see people actually MAKING COMICS for the first time in the show.

NotaCylon
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that one on one time with Mike and Jerry made that elimination as painless as possible. I like that the vibe of this episode was considerably less cut throat, because those guys are good at keeping things in perspective :) That said... glad Katie won!

deworde
    Floored by Mike's response to Alex's question: “I’m absolutely flattered [by the fact that your work looks like mine]. What’s interesting is seeing you copy my mistakes.”

WOW – that’s a mastery of something right there.
    Yeah, that was easily one of my favorite bits in a strong episode. I imagine that comment must've hit Alex like a brick.

Cambiata
  • EricsErics Registered User regular
    That was a really good elimination process. Seriously just, really good, really inspiring. Honest but helpful. A+ guys.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
    nerfherderhanCambiata
    Man, I can't watch these things all the way through without pausing to rest my eyes. They are getting so tired from the constant rolling. Mike, Jerry, and Graham are all so stiff, it's just so uncomfortable.
    I don't think that Mike and Jerry were stiff - I think any stiffness is just them playing the part of intimidating judges. Their humanity and humor shines through those moments, especially once the competition got started.

But yeah, Graham could really loosen up. He's wooden and flat (especially compared to a host like Tim Gunn). He could be a great host, but he isn't there yet.

Crippl3
  • SewblonSewblon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Katy's strip was the clear winner, because she did not mention the competition directly and I could understand the joke. But her strip was much better in composition and in concept than in actual artistry, by that, I mean I did not like the color pallet or the alien designs that she used.

Sewblon on
  • syldennsyldenn Registered User new member
    Aww, what great people. Fantastic episode. That is all. MORE.

• RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I was super happy to see another Strip-Search today! Then I remembered it was an elimination episode :(
    Good stuff, sorry to see Alex go but happy to see Katie stay. Her comic was so great in the time frame she was given!

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    BottlesC wrote: »
    Man, I can't watch these things all the way through without pausing to rest my eyes. They are getting so tired from the constant rolling. Mike, Jerry, and Graham are all so stiff, it's just so uncomfortable.
    I don't think that Mike and Jerry were stiff - I think any stiffness is just them playing the part of intimidating judges. Their humanity and humor shines through those moments, especially once the competition got started.

But yeah, Graham could really loosen up. He's wooden and flat (especially compared to a host like Tim Gunn). He could be a great host, but he isn't there yet.

Yeah Jerry and Mike are acting that way as a joke. I think it's funny.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    CambiataCrippl3darklao
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying this series, but partly because it isn't as contrived as most reality TV. The cast wasn't selected for the primary purpose of fighting with each other. Most people in the cast seem humble and decent. I can root for these guys.

It is a bit funny that Mike was somewhat trying to create some drama. I found it perhaps a little harsh to rip up someone's art right in front of them, but it was nice seeing Mike and Jerry talk afterwards to the departing contestant.

Sonick
  • toekneebullardtoekneebullard Registered User regular
    I love the YouTube image previews that make it so easy to skip the "Last time on" and title sequence.

• charr-comiccharr-comic Registered User regular
    Not even half way through the video and strangely I feel incredibly confident about my chances if I were to be in their position. 1 and a half hours is the time frame that I try to give myself to draw. But I'm sure everyone else agrees that this is the literal best way to deal with eliminations. Now back to the show where have my hands under my chin at work watching it like a little kid and getting so excited that I just want to go home and draw.

I'm enjoying the show, but the audio levels are all over the place and it makes it hard to watch without having your ears blasted when someone suddenly gets loud of music comes up.

NotaCylon
    Mike's comment about "copying my mistakes" was awesome. It was brutal, but honest, and actually super helpful if Alex took it the right way.

• charr-comiccharr-comic Registered User regular
    Wow... I got really emotional at the end. If I wasn't at work I wouldn't be fighting back a few tears. I really saw myself in each of their positions and related to exactly what their thought processes were, especially to (SPOILER) Alex. Yeah the better cartoonist won but man. Man, oh man. I have never been so invested in something like this before.

NotaCylon
  • THRA5H3RTHRA5H3R Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Sewblon wrote: »
    Katy's strip was the clear winner, because she did not mention the competition directly and I could understand the joke.

Why would mentioning the competition directly detract from the strip? The only requirement was to include "table tennis" and "space." Everything else should be fair game.

As far as the joke goes, I've seen far worse from Mike and Jerry. I cite the "Harlem Shake" comic as an example. Thank God they had two panels to establish that, and I still had to read it two or three times to really get it.

Edit: Finally got the quote formatting right!

THRA5H3R on