Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #1

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If I was going to do PA cameos and tie ins for my comic, I would have done a continuation of Paint the Line, which literally had space ping pong.

v-- yeah I agree it was his downfall. I just want more Paint the Line.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    If I was going to do PA cameos and tie ins for my comic, I would have done a continuation of Paint the Line, which literally had space ping pong.

Just personal opinion here, but I think piggy-backing on PA ideas what Alex's mistake from the start. I don't think he would have fared better if his literal idea was to springboard off an idea that Jerry and Mike already came up with.

I'm not sure there was anything he could have done to win the ellimination challenge, because Katie's just shows a lot more polish and that comes from experience. But copying PA ideas certainly wouldn't have put him ahead.

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    Dark Raven X
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    GrahamS wrote: »
    Stay 'til after the credits :)
    Damnit @GrahamS now there's something after the credits? After 3 episodes I'd started not watching them finally. :P

steam_sig.png
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Correct decision. Although I like Alex too. Keep workin' my brother.

NotaCylontynanaideen
  • LethalPianoWireLethalPianoWire Registered User new member
    I would have liked, as part of an experiment, Mike to have to have come up with a strip while the artists were doing it at the same time so you can see the level differences. It was interesting hearing Jerry ask him the same question I was wondering, "Would you be able to do this?" I hope at some point in the future they will be competing against him, unofficially or even officially, for a comic challenge. Very interesting show. Awesome people in the house. Alex, you lost with class man. I didn't care for the comic either, but you handled the decision with positive energy. *two thumbs up.

elheberGnawsNotaCylontynanaideen
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    Looking at Katie's comics, they definitely have a Krickfalusian vibe to them. Good stuff.

Cambiatatynanaideen
  • RyoGeoRyoGeo Registered User new member
    I don't like reality shows, but I REALLY like this show. It has the contest metaphor, imbued with real heart. I hope it continues in this way, as it is very fun to watch.

When did Jerry begin dressing like a Russian mobster?

NotaCylonenderandrew
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    Looking at Katie's comics, they definitely have a Krickfalusian vibe to them. Good stuff.

I thought so too!

Instagram:
    NotaCylon
  • kentdoggydogkentdoggydog Registered User new member
    Awwww. It was so cute how they were all standing around in their Jammies at the end. Reminds me of Night Trap.

LexxyNotaCylon
  • pariah164pariah164 Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I INSTANTLY thought of Rhythm Heaven?

• cbricharcbrichar Registered User regular
    I know I'm just parroting what others have already said, but I'll add my voice to the throng of support for how refreshing it is to watch a reality TV show that hasn't been produced, tailored and edited to emphasise fabricated drama. Certainly there are many challenges to come and of course some contestants will be frustrated and disappointed along the way, but right from Day 1 the producers seem to have gone out of the way to portray the artists in a very honest light - as talented, friendly, funny and *real* people.

I've had a love/hate relationship with RT from early days, loving the documentary style of real people facing real challenges and hating the falsified or at very least falsely emphasised dramatic narratives created in the editing room that would reduce most of the competitors to a two-dimensional caricature. It was the same reason I switched off of 'King of the Nerds' after two episodes. I have no interest in hearing near-constant contestant douchebaggery in their little confession room interviews.

So - very well done, and thanks.

NotaCylon
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    Please fix the audio pickup!

Raakam
  • CoohlaCoohla Registered User regular
    What a great show this turned out to be. I enjoyed it immensely, and gosh, Katie is so cute.

Wangchangbackup
  • OMGBEESOMGBEES Registered User regular
    This is so good and I just want to hug everyone. I'M SORRY I LOVE YOUR CRAZY HAIR.

That is not a spoiler, they both have crazy hair.

• enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    Going back and re-watching the episodes, I think the problem people are having with Graham's hosting is how bad the ADR sounds.

Cambiata
  • gacbmmmlgacbmmml Senior Web Developer IHG.comRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Here are my thoughts on the show (good and bad).

1. The opening credits are way too long. They clock in at almost a minute. I fast forward through them every time.
    2. When judging competitions (non-elimination) they should give the bottom 2-3 and the top 2-3, then announce the winner. Don't call people out as being the worst of the group and don't say "I thought you were the winner, BUT I got outvoted. Sorry!"
    3. Allowing the winner to choose the two people who go to the elimination match seems overpowered. I would just chose the two best competitors in the house and force one of them to go home. For example, in Episode 3 I would have picked Katie (1st runner up) and Maki (winner of redraw pass). Then I'd know at least one of them would go home.
    4. A better way to solve for the situation which is bound to happen in #3, would be allow the GROUP to vote for one person and let Amy (winner of the challenge) to pick the other one. An additional benefit is that the weight of the decision does not rest solely on Amy nor could she send two people to elimination for her own advantage (for example, she could send two people who have similar drawing styles to herself to then make herself stand out more).
    5. The elimination round itself was pretty awesome. Love how the comic strip idea is pulled from the waste bin of broken dreams. Asking the contestants questions during the match to throw them off was pretty great, too.
    6. I really liked how Mike and Jerry got into the car with Alex and gave him some words of encouragement. I'm also curious as to what Alex's "same mistakes that Mike made in the past" were?

All-in-all, I'm enjoying the show... I think it could be somewhat compacted though... the first "episode arc" was something like an hour? Hour and 10 minutes? Cut it down to 40 minutes and we have a show!

gacbmmml on
    Noah (girls are cute, but monkeys make me laugh)

hodumaru
  • Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Gamercow wrote: »

I thought so too!

Katie worked with Kricfalusi on Ren and Stimpy "Adult Party Cartoon" the Lost Episodes as the layout artist for two episodes.

Obsolete Model on
    CambiataGamercow
  • FloydHereNowFloydHereNow Registered User regular
    Mike & Jerry are so cool; I love the way they talked to Alex in the car afterwards. You could tell they really care.

This is a very different reality show, and it is *seriously *growing on me. The "first timer" nature of the production shows, but that'll improve next time around. What makes it special is that this show has Heart. For realz. It's just... *genuine*.

Even during the elimination, Mike & Jerry's banter was totally tongue-in-cheek. The show respects its audience, which is SO refreshing.

And I get the sense that the contestants are pretty genuine people too, who would prefer just to be friends and encourage each other, if the situation were different.

But since they have to compete, they're doing it with a certain level of integrity: So far at least, they're competing on talent and experience alone, rather than psycho bullshit. It makes me like them all, and identify with them. This is a recipe for success!

Of course, later in the show, who knows? The long knives may come out. I suspect Amy has a ruthless side. We'll see.

But Alex, if you read this: Good on ya, mate. That was a strong, classy departure. Well done. I hope you keep at it and find success. I didn't get the joke this time, but then again, I didn't get a lot of PA's early stuff either. Keep at it.

cbrichar
  • DristanDristan Asheville, NCRegistered User regular
    As someone who never watches reality TV because of the ridiculously overplayed drama that infests the medium, this was a breath of fresh air. Thank you for making something so refreshingly honest.

I was really sorry to see Alex go this early in the game, but I see why it had to happen. His comeback to the Hitler inquiry had me rolling.

cbricharDark Raven X
  • FloydHereNowFloydHereNow Registered User regular
    Mike & Jerry are so cool; I love the way they talked to Alex in the car afterwards. You could tell they really care.

This is a very different reality show, and it is *seriously *growing on me. The "first timer" nature of the production shows, but that'll improve next time around. What makes it special is that this show has Heart. For realz. It's just... *genuine*.

Even during the elimination, Mike & Jerry's banter was totally tongue-in-cheek. The show respects its audience, which is SO refreshing.

And I get the sense that the contestants are pretty genuine people too, who would prefer just to be friends and encourage each other, if the situation were different.

But since they have to compete, they're doing it with a certain level of integrity: So far at least, they're competing on talent and experience alone, rather than psycho bullshit. It makes me like them all, and identify with them. This is a recipe for success!

Of course, later in the show, who knows? The long knives may come out. I suspect Amy has a ruthless side. We'll see.

But Alex, if you read this: Good on ya, mate. That was a strong, classy departure. Well done. I hope you keep at it and find success. I didn't get the joke this time, but then again, I didn't get a lot of PA's early stuff either. Keep at it.

cbrichar
  • DristanDristan Asheville, NCRegistered User regular
    As someone who never watches reality TV because of the ridiculously overplayed drama that infests the medium, this was a breath of fresh air. Thank you for making something so refreshingly honest.

I was really sorry to see Alex go this early in the game, but I see why it had to happen. His comeback to the Hitler inquiry had me rolling.

cbricharjkey
  • FranklinBluthFranklinBluth Registered User regular
    This episode was exceptional. I really liked when Mike and Jerry took the time to offer some constructive advice, as well as how the elimination round banter touched on the artists' process. Katie's comic was also quite impressive for the time allotted. Looking forward to more!

tynanaideen
  • Tikkchik Fen TikktikkTikkchik Fen Tikktikk Registered User new member
    This really reminds me of the only "reality" competition show I can stand: So You Think You Can Dance.

It's all about the art. Yeah, the winner gets a moderately nice prize. But the real focus throughout is on the art: making it, judging it, being affected by it, opportunities for growth both for those watching as well as those creating and judging it.

Great job guys.

cbricharjkey
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    I'm glad it all seems real so far. Reality TV is the cancer that is eating away at the soul of Western Civilization. But that's because usually they fake everything, like literally everything. Reality TV is more scripted than most sitcoms, but this really feels legitimate and I appreciate that. I mean there have been some complaints about audio, or the hosts being stiff, but at the end of the day it's the first real reality tv show in the history of video, so I'm pretty satisfied!

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
  • Cap'n ShovelsCap'n Shovels Registered User regular
    I would like to see you Mike and Jerry give more specific compliments and criticism so the artists can improve. Goal: Another great comic artist.

Please do not violate our signature rules.
    tynanaideen
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Jerry and Mike are wonderfully antagonistic throughout the drawing challenge. The "TIME!" comments were terrible and also hilarious.

And miles to go before I sleep.
    jkey
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    I think some people are losing the meaning behind Strip search with all these comments on having Mike and Jerry give criticism to help teach them; granted it would be nice and appreciated to an extent, but they're looking for a comic/artist they can put up on their site of their own merit not mold another comic in their image.

I think some people are losing the meaning behind Strip search with all these comments on having Mike and Jerry give criticism to help teach them; granted it would be nice and appreciated to an extent, but they're looking for a comic/artist they can put up on their site of their own merit not mold another comic in their image.

I see where you're coming from, but I can see having a mentor figure could work well. Would probably work better if it were not Mike or Jerry being the mentor, but if this show had it's own Tim Gunn that would be awesome. They need to find some kind of elder statesman type to fill the role, but I have no idea who could do that when it comes to web comics.

Instagram:
  • gacbmmmlgacbmmml Senior Web Developer IHG.comRegistered User regular
    @TYNANAIDEEN: I hear you, but think about it like this... on Top Chef if you get sent home it's not because "I didn't like your dish". It's because "I didn't like your dish because you overcooked the shrimp and didn't use any seasoning."

I would like to hear why the experts didn't enjoy a particular strip... really critique it - tell me WHY it's sending you home. Were the lines drawn too thick? Was the writing poor? Is the idea not fully fleshed out? It's all in the details, especially as more and more artists are eliminated.

Noah (girls are cute, but monkeys make me laugh)

hodumaru
  • 00Nein00Nein Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I would like to say, first and foremost, that this show is fabulous.

Next, I would like to say that the right strip was chosen for elimination.

Going back to the previous episodes, I have already used the "fax machine" game in my classroom, and the ten-year-olds loved it.

I wouldn't have chosen the same winner for the t-shirt. The only shirt I would have paid money for was Tavis's, although I would also have worn Katie's. To be honest, I think that the shirt that won was one of my least favorites.

00Nein on
    jchinnock
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular

I think this is partially why Mike didn't expand (or we didn't see him expand) on the "repeating my mistakes" comment. Alex's style is very similar to early Gabe, but as Alex starts to recognize and deal with his own mistakes, he'll correct or adapt them in his own way that will become his own style. If Mike gave him too much of a heads-up about what mistakes he's making and how Mike fixed them, it would push Alex to just do more Gabe-style stuff.

TofystedethCambiatanaviniea
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular

I've been to Alex's site since this episode went up and it looks like he's still in contact with several of the others, so that's pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
  • OckhamsFollyOckhamsFolly Registered User regular
    I see where you're coming from, but I can see having a mentor figure could work well. Would probably work better if it were not Mike or Jerry being the mentor, but if this show had it's own Tim Gunn that would be awesome. They need to find some kind of elder statesman type to fill the role, but I have no idea who could do that when it comes to web comics.

Hmmmm, that is a tough one. Phil Foglio, maybe? He's been a comic artist for quite awhile, and Girl Genius is a great success, but really not as successful as PA. What would be really cool would be snagging Bill Watterson. I was always surprised he never explored the medium, given his position on the stifling limitations of syndicated strips, but he's such a recluse it would never happen. Which leads us to probably the best choice for the job, Scott McCloud. I can't think of anyone else who's made such a study of web comics in particular, and he's definitely been an influence in the field. He can just be a little buzzwordy at times.

edited March 2013

Hmmmm, that is a tough one. Phil Foglio, maybe? He's been a comic artist for quite awhile, and Girl Genius is a great success, but really not as successful as PA. What would be really cool would be snagging Bill Watterson. I was always surprised he never explored the medium, given his position on the stifling limitations of syndicated strips, but he's such a recluse it would never happen. Which leads us to probably the best choice for the job, Scott McCloud. I can't think of anyone else who's made such a study of web comics in particular, and he's definitely been an influence in the field. He can just be a little buzzwordy at times.

I'm pretty sure Mike hates Scott McCloud though. (edit: See also this old strip)

Bill Waterson would be a dream choice, but also an impossible one.

Cambiata on
    Instagram:
  • OckhamsFollyOckhamsFolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I can see that. He's a (crazy) business guy really, not really an art guy, but but they did kick off the competition with a merchandising contest. Like I said, we'd be hearing buzzwords, and that'd probably get annoying. It's hard to come up with an "elder statesman" in an industry in which PA is already pretty much the most successful and one of the longest running strips around. Realistically, and I think Phil (and Kaja) Foglio would be the most fun choice that still have serious credentials. But I still don't know if they would have enough "elder statesman" cred.

OckhamsFolly on
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    That ended pretty much as I'd expected. I love Mike and Jerry's banter and how much fun they were having with it.

I do agree that it would be nice if they shared their opinions of what worked and what didn't with the artists (though I don't know, maybe they end up doing that off camera?). It's a hell of a lot better than some random decision and most competitive reality shows usually have the judges/hosts offer their reasoning or at least a bit of criticism. Here, at least, knowing Mike and Jerry, you know it will be honest and constructive.

The way to look at it is they've had years of experience now (holy shit, almost 20?!?) in the business of web comics and then some. It's not like they molding them to become PA copies...everyone's got their distinctive style and there are parts of this, given how creative it is, that can't really be judged objectively. But, there are plenty of things that can be. It's like with Alex's strip...explaining the continuity problem is a valid criticism which he could potentially use going forward whether he made it through the elimination or not.

By the way, a big part of the reason this reality show isn't like the others is likely because I can't imagine Robert forcing the contestants to sit in a van for hours with nothing but wine to drink/eat... :)

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    I am ridiculously impressed at the quality of comic Katie produced in such a short frame.

christaranDark Raven XnavinieafuxedoArbitraryDescriptor
  • naethonnaethon Registered User new member
    gacbmmml wrote: »
    @TYNANAIDEEN: I hear you, but think about it like this... on Top Chef if you get sent home it's not because "I didn't like your dish". It's because "I didn't like your dish because you overcooked the shrimp and didn't use any seasoning."

I would like to hear why the experts didn't enjoy a particular strip... really critique it - tell me WHY it's sending you home. Were the lines drawn too thick? Was the writing poor? Is the idea not fully fleshed out? It's all in the details, especially as more and more artists are eliminated.

I think this medium is more subjective in its form, especially given the time constraint. With a show like top chef, it's feasible to have next to perfection in the given time, whereas that can't really be said about a comic. It's harder to describe what you do and do not like about a strip, and I don't think that things like thickness of lines really plays much of an effect in this scenario. It's more about was the content communicated, which they were quite clear about. Katie's piece was more creative and made you laugh; Alex's was kind of funny, but wasn't really clear in the last frame and directly referenced the show, which they didn't like. We'll see what future challenges bring up.

On a different note, I'm curious whether it was intentional that they showed so much of Alex's interviews in the first few episodes. I actually thought before the show that he was going to be out because of the airtime. Nice to show him, but a bit of a spoiler, unless it was subliminal.

• naethonnaethon Registered User new member
    gacbmmml wrote: »

I think this medium is more subjective in its form, especially given the time constraint. With a show like top chef, it's feasible to have next to perfection in the given time, whereas that can't really be said about a comic. It's harder to describe what you do and do not like about a strip, and I don't think that things like thickness of lines really plays much of an effect in this scenario. It's more about was the content communicated, which they were quite clear about. Katie's piece was more creative and made you laugh; Alex's was kind of funny, but wasn't really clear in the last frame and directly referenced the show, which they didn't like. We'll see what future challenges bring up.

On a different note, I'm curious whether it was intentional that they showed so much of Alex's interviews in the first few episodes. I actually thought before the show that he was going to be out because of the airtime. Nice to show him, but a bit of a spoiler, unless it was subliminal.

• nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Well, the elimination portion was both imaginative (two topics) and highly entertaining. I realize it's part of a continuum, but this was my favorite episode thus far. I really hope Alex got more time to talk with Mike & Jerry off-camera before he left. As to the competition, I like both of them, so it was tough, but Katie certainly deserved to win. I did NOT think either of them deserved to be there, but I guess the elimination round still, hopefully, controls for the ultimate winner being the best. Also, proof that Amy was in fact using strategy; I'd have been bewildered if she chose those two on the actual quality of their designs.

Love the show. Kinda wish it was 40 minutes once a week rather than 2 20 min episodes, but I guess I can always self-impose that (but I'm sooo weak!)

chstreamsig.jpg