As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Drakengard Series Discussion] Death from above, insanity from below.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Are the other endings worth it?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    From what I remember, there's one kinda interesting ending (B I think), a boring not-real-ending and a boring final ending.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'll probably rework the OP into an overview of the series before long.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I like the new thread name.

I'm at the point in my Nier ending b playthrough where I need to go to the shadowlord's castle. I should be getting my toes wet with part 3 soon!

As a side note: I fucking hate how the trophies for beating bosses under some time limit count time in cutscenes. I know I can skip them, but I don't want to skip them, so I've been having to do each boss twice just for the trophy.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    xCnuYWD.jpg

I'll have thoughts by this evening.

* WARNING * Female protagonists may have less ass in actual game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Are the other endings worth it?

As someone who thinks it's absolutely worth it to get all the endings in Drakengard 1, Nier, and Drakengard 3, I'd say youtube it.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I grabbed Drakengard 3 in the GameFly year end clearance...and maaaaaaan I love it so far.

All it really does is make me want a proper NieR 2, but in the meantime this will do just fine.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    These are definitely the two most sane protagonists I've ever seen. Even Nowe's dragon appears, gasp, normal.

Like Michael prior to becoming Mikhail.

Go deeper.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Is Drakengard this goofy?

I'm not sure how I feel about the tone of Drakengard 3. I think I like it - and I realize I am NOT playing NieR 2 - but it seems very off, coming from NieR, to have all these 4th wall breaking gags thrown in.

Is that new to this game, or did Drakengard 1 and 2 balance out the weird serious plot with this kind of stuff too?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    hoo boy
    you should read the lets plays from SA

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I did, but it was years ago. I was just thinking as I stopped that I'm gonna re-read tonight anyways.

Just finished Chapter 3: Verse 2.

Don't like it NEARLY as much as NieR, but it does feel like the same universe, so I'm having a great time just based on being able to re-visit that world alone. It seems WAY more goofy than strange, which I'm not huge on, but it's still at least interesting.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I did, but it was years ago. I was just thinking as I stopped that I'm gonna re-read tonight anyways.

Just finished Chapter 3: Verse 2.

Don't like it NEARLY as much as NieR, but it does feel like the same universe, so I'm having a great time just based on being able to re-visit that world alone. It seems WAY more goofy than strange, which I'm not huge on, but it's still at least interesting.

Just, uh.

Just keep going.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    As someone who got all the endings to Drakengard 1 I will say that until you go all the way through the game you don't understand the actual story.

Basically, any perceived goofiness in a Drakengard game is eventually countered with complete insanity that makes you question what you believe as a person.

• Options
    Just got to the end of Branch A.

I'm very curious, but I can't help it - it's no NieR.

NieR really came as a total and complete shock to me, and it still is a game I think about often. I think that story hit me harder than maybe any other game ever has. I just felt it was so well done, so well acted - and the quirks in the game that made things less than easy to get through end up making the very, very end that much more meaningful, in a way. I don't ever believe that "the gameplay is INTENTIONALLY shitty because that's a feature!" is a real thing developers strive for, but in NieR, the flaws end up being this happy accident that pulls you in even closer to whats going on.

So yeah, this was a very, very high bar to clear.

And Drakengard is just not doing it for me.

I will complete it, I will get all the weapons and do all the branches, but it's like when you have a favorite show, and then an actor from it gets a new show and it's similar enough to the old one, all it does is remind you of how great the old one was. It's like, I don't want the Michael Richards is a detective show, I want more Seinfeld.

Drakengard 3 has it's moments, but my brain can't help but always take the extra step towards NieR. Zero is interesting, and I want to know more...but she's no Kaine. Mikhail has really grown on me, and I like having him around...I miss Emil.

So it's really not fair to do that to Drakengard 3, but I wish Drakengard 3 had a little more going for it.

Ending A absolutely had enough to make me hurry up and see what the hell was really going on at the end, but I have a feeling when all is said and done I won't think it was a BAD game, but I also bet I'll feel like if I wasn't clinging on to hope that SOMEDAY we will get a NieR 2, I wouldn't have kept going with it.

• Options
    Branch B ending done.

I'm liking what they're sort of setting up I think, but man it's hard to follow. I hope it gets more and more clear.

What I've seen in Branch C so far is super interesting too.

But yeah, Branch B I have some ideas as to what was happening, but no idea really what the hell is going on at all.

• Options
    Branch C ending done.

I seriously have like, no idea what this game is even about.

I'm interested in whats going on sure, and each branch gets more and more unsettling, I just wish they would give me SOMETHING to work with here.

Ending C's credits roll has the creepiest fucking music though.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Branch C ending done.

I seriously have like, no idea what this game is even about.

I'm interested in whats going on sure, and each branch gets more and more unsettling, I just wish they would give me SOMETHING to work with here.

Ending C's credits roll has the creepiest fucking music though.

Isn't that the remix from D1?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Everything will be explained in Ending D.... *twitch... jerk... at flashbacks to Ending D...*

• Options
    it sounded Drakengard 1-ish. Never played it but heard tracks on here and it sounded similar.

Well, thats the push I Need to finish D.

I started the LOST VERSES, and literally just put the controller down and turned off the system in the middle of one. I just was done. Mentally I didn't care.

They really botched the "hooks" in my opinion. NieR really excelled at MAKING Me want to go for new endings because the little things that felt "off" with each ending drove me to try again to see the full story.

D3 is so batshit out there confusing with what's happening I just sometimes am like, fuck, if you're not gonna do anything but act mysterious I dont care.

I have a serious love/hate with it.

• Options
  • Options
    Curtain Call's DCL reminded me that I never finished all the endings of Nier, so I went and marathoned endings B C and D, which made me go :D:|D:
    Nier is a selfish ass, and Cavia are a bunch of trolls.

• Options
    Fuck these last 2 fucking notes so fucking hard.

• Options
    Closest thing to Nier 2 we'll get.

FUCK THAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEAzs9Jbs_w&ab_channel=GamesHQMedia

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Fantastic news, but that truly deserves its own thread.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Why does it need it's own thread?

Edit: Never mind, it's already got one.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Because Nier != Drakengard, and it might get overlooked in here.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheDarkId finally started a Drakengard 3 LP. The fanart section is nothing short of wild.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704174
    4Yw4FRs.jpg
    ZEMTuE6.jpg
    Now this is a story all about how
    My world got flipped, turned upside down
    Let me take a minute, it won't be too hard
    I'll tell how I became the number one hit man in Midgard

In East Caerleon, born and raised
    Guardin' the goddess was how I spent most of my days
    Waltzin' round, killin', stabbing for fun
    All the fools who came rushin' in to sack the kingdom
    When a couple of guys who weren't thinkin' too good
    Tied up a red dragon in my neighborhood
    I got in one little fight and took a slash to my back
    And said "Hate me if you will but we must have a pact"

I reached into my chest and when my hand came out
    There was a glowing little orb with all my anger and doubt
    If anything I could tell this act was insane
    So I yelled "DRAKENGARD," and I turned off my brain

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Okay here's some more.
    Herelies4dotjaypeg.jpg
    CjrWctj.png
    SyNbvwN.png
    iGwOIfP.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Just finished chapter 1 of drakengard 3.
    "This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by." Holy fuck that was hilarious. That and the classical music censoring right afterwards.

I'm glad I read all the character novels on the official website, otherwise I'd be a bit put off by the lack of character development for Five.

Really didn't need the dragon-pissing bit right at the start. I get what they were trying to do - make Mikhael appear like the complete opposite of what a dragon should be or something - but it made me roll my eyes so much I'm now blind in one eye. Just have him run off blubbering or something.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Jesus christ this final boss can go fuck itself.

• Options
    I'm reading the LP...
    I just can't believe the things they say are in the game. Holy gently caress.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Jesus christ this final boss can go fuck itself.

Use a sync video. Don't torture yourself.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm reading the LP...

You really should play the games. The game play is repetitive, the graphics look bad for the most part...

But the story, and what characters say? It's some of the ballsiest stuff I've seen in a video game. It'll keep you going just to see what happens next.

• Options
    Annnnnnd finished.
    The final boss was amazing right up to the final note. Had to use a sync video exclusively for it, because seriously, no visual/audio cues, and the beat is different from the last bar of the song? Ugh. Thanks for the tip, btw.

Wish the disciples wern't so one-dimensional, but apart from that the characters and plot were pretty great. Would have been nice for so much of the characterisation to not be locked behind dlc/novellia, however. Gameplay was fun but got more and more stale after ending A.

I loved it, but man am I glad that Platinum are on board for Neir 2.

• Options
    I really want to play the DLC, but I don't want to pay $30 for it. Then again, I did pay $15 for Nier's DLC just to have Song of the Ancients' trance remix on tap...

Priorities. I've heard only a couple episodes are good, anyway. Zero's and Four's? I'd love to know what her secrets are. I bet Dark Id details it, but it won't be the same without experiencing it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I really want to play the DLC, but I don't want to pay $30 for it. Then again, I did pay $15 for Nier's DLC just to have Song of the Ancients' trance remix on tap...

Priorities. I've heard only a couple episodes are good, anyway. Zero's and Four's? I'd love to know what her secrets are. I bet Dark Id details it, but it won't be the same without experiencing it.

To be honest, I just watched a playthrough of them all, skipping to dialogue/cutscenes. Literally all the gameplay is recycled levels/enemies, some of which were already recycled for the missing verses. The gameplay is entirely the same as the main game except you're restricted to one weapon. There's no reason to play them yourself, in my mind.

• Options
    Alazull wrote: »
    I'm reading the LP...

You really should play the games. The game play is repetitive, the graphics look bad for the most part...

But the story, and what characters say? It's some of the ballsiest stuff I've seen in a video game. It'll keep you going just to see what happens next.

I have very little time left to play games, thanks to my job as freelance translator. I need to work all the time I have... And I usually play handheld games for that reason, while I watch tv with the wife during lunch time and dinner time. So let's plays are perfect for this kind of game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Huh, found this out from the Drakengard 3 LP at SA.

dumbarse%20(14).jpg
    Yep.
    So how do you move it around, then?
    There's a parasite that attaches it to my body.
    What? Not a machine or anything? Freaky! ...Can I see it?
    Some other time.

And the artbook illustrates it.

64g3oL3.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hehe, apparently Taro was questioned about the D3 final boss in a stream, and his answer was legendary:

o36cvZv.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Hehe, apparently Taro was questioned about the D3 final boss in a stream, and his answer was legendary:

o36cvZv.png

I have to utterly respect my love/hate relationship with Yoko Taro. I love him as a developer, but I despise how he sets up the difficulty for his games. But you have the admire the motherfucker's consistency.

'It's difficult because I want it to be difficult. Git Gud.'

... yessir.

wbee62u815wj.png