Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Ducks

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Lamp wrote: »
    I liked this episode and I definitely don't think the challenge in every episode needs to be directly related to drawing comics (that wouldn't be a great way to get to know the contestants, anyway). But I'm kind of disappointed that the next episode, the big challenge of this round, also has nothing to do with art. They're having their interview skills tested? Just, why? You "need to be able to hold your own in an interview" to be a successful web cartoonist? I would think exactly the opposite. At least the t-shirt challenge made a logical connection, despite not being directly related to comics.

Seems like the competitions are set up like a hiring process where they judge you on your business savvy, while the eliminations are the centerpiece of the show, where you're judged purely on your art ability.

Avraham on
    tumblr_mw0i6gT4l61qgwizbo1_250.png :bz: :bz: :bzz:
    risingtable
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Well we haven't seen that episode yet, so lets no jump to any conclusions. But it could be about your ability to connect with your audience. Part of why PA is so popular is that people like Jerry and Mike, and that they do a good job interacting with the community.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    risingtablePropriety
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Amy's hat in this ep was pretty boss.

Levin SadsadJoeDeathDark Raven XMichyGeary
  • Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    @Doshi I was honestly surprised that wasn't what the contest entailed.

PA_Signature_Athena_Ace_Attorney.png
  • MrWhitekeysMrWhitekeys Registered User new member
    the quality of the episodes seems to improve with each episode. Loving the artists. keep up the great work.

risingtableNotaCylon
    idea: it would be cool to see an elimination done as a public event at PAX

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Avraham wrote: »

Considering the entire show has been filmed already, that would be extremely "timey wimey."

vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • NavyBeanNavyBean Registered User regular
    He didn't connect with you on "an authentic human level" because he's a cyborg! And he cares only about the destruction of authentic humans!

Crippl3
  • SamKablamSamKablam Registered User regular
    I'm glad someone made a 'your mom' joke for question 4.

empathCrippl3
  • gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    Have we mentioned how nuts that house is yet? Cause that house is nuts. How much was that rental?!

Next episode is interviews? That's gonna be brutal. We've got several younger artists who haven't had time or experience to get used to the corporate one-two punch, and I bet they're gonna get hit hard on the little self-effacing wiggles that become so tempting mid interview.

I bet Maki's gonna win that one.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

empathNotaCylon
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Avraham wrote: »

Considering the entire show has been filmed already, that would be extremely "timey wimey."

Oh yeah, I meant for a potential future season.

• MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    I like the show, especially when it shows the contestants doing something creative. However the host? Cut the scenes of him, and have him just do Voice Over in post. He really impedes the flow of the program, and that's saying something when you have a room full of mostly introverts!

empathProprietyspiffmanaPanda Liker
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    NavyBean wrote: »
    He didn't connect with you on "an authentic human level" because he's a cyborg! And he cares only about the destruction of authentic humans!

Next Challenge: Contestants have to pass the Voight-Kampf test.

Spman2099risingtablezerzhulenderandrew
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    I really hope that Amy, or as I like to call her "the scowl", goes home soon. She just seems so unpleasant.

empathLouisBergrisingtableMaz-JoeDeathVanityPantsProprietyMichyGeary
  • OrakilOrakil Registered User new member
    Really cool show so far, only thing that I'm not really digging is the host. He's so boring and uncharismatic that it's cringe worthy during the challenges sometimes. A host needs to be a little more funny/high energy.

empathmaxdDrunkMcrisingtableMaz-ProprietyPanda Liker
  • empathempath Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    OMGOMGOMG - Guys!!!1!

You kept Alex in the title sequence. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! ^_^

Ohhh, anyways:

Good episode; nice pacing (showed a few of the q&a's - including one I *know* we didn't see/hear Cpt. Lou mention - but not ALL of them) got a nice mix of 'background chat' with the artists to get a little more connection with them, and WOW. Need I explain my reaction? ;)

Also the teaser for the next episode has me nervous; I always dread interviews myself, so I'm stressing by proxy for all the contestants! ;)

empath on
    risingtableDark Raven X
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Spoiler free comment: Holy crap at the day's prize. The winner friggin won, even if s/he doesn't end up winning the whole thing.

Spiffy McBang on
  • MyntMynt Registered User, Strip Search regular
    I'm easily distracted...

EArnMo9l.jpg

skettiostbugzerzhulCrippl3Vicious CirclehistronicenderandrewCambiataFyndirPaulMcGranitefightinfilipinonerfherderhanbombardierSegNotaCylonJayeEmmAnialosDark Raven XTofystedethSplive
  • ghostcatghostcat Registered User regular
    You should stick to challenges that have something to do with being a comic strip artist/business person. The quiz about Seattle was fun, but testing their short term memory isn't very specific to the contest. I'm watching this to see great artists duke it out and learn the trade. An episode with these contestants that doesn't showcase their creativity seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The next one is an interview, which also seems like a missed opportunity, because a self-employed business person wouldn't be interviewed, but I'll reserve judgement until i see it. Otherwise I like the show!

Propriety
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    I really hope that Amy, or as I like to call her "the scowl", goes home soon. She just seems so unpleasant.
    I like Amy, she's my favorite. She seems like the only one so far who is playing to win. Life isn't served to you, you have to take it. This show is a game, and if you aren't playing getting the hell off the field. She didn't come here to make friends, she came to win the grand prize, I like and respect that.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    DeclarentRaakamMaz-JoeDeath
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    ghostcat wrote: »
    You should stick to challenges that have something to do with being a comic strip artist/business person. The quiz about Seattle was fun, but testing their short term memory isn't very specific to the contest. I'm watching this to see great artists duke it out and learn the trade. An episode with these contestants that doesn't showcase their creativity seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The next one is an interview, which also seems like a missed opportunity, because a self-employed business person wouldn't be interviewed, but I'll reserve judgement until i see it. Otherwise I like the show!
    It's not *just* being self-employed though. The winner will be living in Seattle and working in the PA office alongside the PA folks and the PvP folks. It's very relevant to want the winner to have paid some attention to learning about Seattle, and to interview someone that you will be working directly next to and/or with for a year. Yes it will be on a separate endeavor, but as we've seen with both PA and PvP, the groups mesh and end up working with each other far more than they work alone. I understand wanting to see more art and see more about what someone could do on their own, but I think "does the person fit in" stuff is just as important.

zerzhul on
    vyQjYda.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    histronic
  • MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    Good stuff. "Fuck" as an answer should have earned a point. Also, Graham's fine as the MC - what's with the hate lately? Beard envy?

empathTofystedeth
  • 8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User, Strip Search regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    NavyBean wrote: »

Next Challenge: Contestants have to pass the Voight-Kampf test.

Well I submit that the line of questioning was unfair since I've always been more of a cat person than a "tortoise person".

iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
    Crippl3Seg
  • Vicious CircleVicious Circle Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    Really enjoying the show more than I expected to. Don't understand all the ill will toward Amy, she seems as personable as the others. Maybe she shares too much of her thinking process for some peoples taste. Now I feel bad I dissed her shirt design.
    Anyway,
    Congratulations Lexxy! Your expression when they told you what you won was priceless.

Vicious Circle on
    NotaCylonMichyGeary
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    ghostcat wrote: »
    because a self-employed business person wouldn't be interviewed

Not a webartist, but I can think of two things off the top of my head why this would be useful:

- Press and convention interviews
    - Dealing with any sort of merchandise producer

The former is kind of self explanatory, how to hold yourself while talking to others, how to market, how to let things slip (or not let things slip), etc.

The latter, each artist would want to see if the producer has the ability to make things at the quality they desire, and the producer wants to know if it is profitable enough to deal with the artist.

Sure, the winner will be plugged into PA for year, but one one person gets that, and it's only for a year. The other 10 artists could easily take something away from this, something else to add to their "To Work On" list...

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    zerzhulempath
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    "Fuck" as an answer should have earned a point.

monicafuck_zps7b4cced5.jpg

So funny I had to screencap.

worldorder_zpse336707a.jpg
    Vicious CircleMyntCambiataReedtekNotaCylonTofystedeth
  • MyntMynt Registered User, Strip Search regular
    IF YOU RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS YOU ARE YOUR OWN PR GUY.

No one else is gonna do it for you. You're going to have to know what avenues the public uses to interact with you, how to leverage those interactions to your advantage, and how to steer the public's eye in the directions you want them to look to make a living.

There are many, many facets to a person, not to mention a company, and you don't always get the liberty to be cast in the light you think you want. So, if you want to be a public figure, you better learn how to show them the sides you want them to see.

8BitLosertheredfishzerzhulCambiatanerfherderhanRaakamSegnavinieaempathNotaCylontynic
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    @MICHAELLANE - I like the other stuff Graham does. I think the ADR of his lines was poorly handled in the previous episodes, which is why he came across as so wooden. In this episode, it doesn't look like they had to go the ADR route and he came across much better in this episode.

psychopezCambiataPropriety
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »

Because I'm socially awkward, I really hate it when people judge others because of their social awkwardness. "You aren't charming, GO DIE!" Whatever dude, I bet you're not charming either.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Levin SadsadnerfherderhanFranklinBluthMichyGearyenderandrew
  • DeclarentDeclarent Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    Roger Wilco wrote: »
    I like Amy, she's my favorite. She seems like the only one so far who is playing to win. Life isn't served to you, you have to take it. This show is a game, and if you aren't playing getting the hell off the field. She didn't come here to make friends, she came to win the grand prize, I like and respect that.

I'm gonna agree here. Amy's hardcore, but in a charming way. Also, hot.

Declarent on
    Levin SadsadBrock EDMichyGeary
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Just a quick note for anyone with questions about why doing interviews is important. I can tell you that being able to answer questions about yourself and your work is HUGE when it comes to being a web cartoonist.

There are social challenges like today that have nothing to do with making webcomics. These give the artists a bit of a break and result in someone winning a cool prize. Then there are the real challenges that result in two people going up for elimination. These challenges are focused on skills that we think a good webcartoonist needs to have. Sometimes they will be related to art like the T-shirt design challenge and other times they will be related to the business of making comics for a living.

Anana11nerfherderhanPaulMcGraniteCambiataRaakamMyntViktor WaltersVenkman90SegnavinieaReedtekempathJayeEmmTofystedethtynic
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I really like and 'get' the structure so far. Basically, being able to address the social, technical and web-comic business savvy-ness (and ability to adapt to it, even if they don't have experience).

When the Cintiq was announced as the prize on that quiz I had to listen/watch again. Awesome prize! I feel like if I lost the competition, but won that, I'd still be pretty stoked on the experience.

Levin SadsadCambiata
  • PaulMcGranitePaulMcGranite Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Didn't love the episode at first, but I do like that we're getting to know the artists more. Abby is a lot funnier than first impressions revealed - apologies for any previous judging!

PaulMcGranite on
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Good stuff. "Fuck" as an answer should have earned a point. Also, Graham's fine as the MC - what's with the hate lately? Beard envy?

He deadpan works really well when hosting that Weekend Update-style show they do, but I agree that he could be a bit more animated at times. He seems really straight-laced at times.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    holy cow it's a web series, we don't need the previously on nor the overly long intro every single episode

steam_sig.png
  • Johnny SmashJohnny Smash Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    It's cool that no matter what the challenge is (like being interviewed or whatever), the contestants can dig their way out of elimination by making a good comic. Also host is awesome

cFhq9lX.jpg
    empath
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    holy cow it's a web series, we don't need the previously on nor the overly long intro every single episode

I actually like the "next time" parts, because you know they're going to be hilariously misleading. (And also, because: butt virginity).

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • dmnd.davedmnd.dave Registered User new member
    Holy carp, I couldn't be happier with this extension of the PA brand. It's a mark of how good the content is that I HATE the brevity of every episode -- I spend the following days ACHING for more episodes.

FranklinBluthNotaCylon
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Loving this so far, all the contestants are far too likable for reality TV though ;)

Venkman90 on
    CambiataArbitraryDescriptor
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm really enjoying this. Abby, Erika, and Monica are my favorites, though that might be because I'm slowly working my way through all the artists' comic archives and theirs are all very accessible and personal.

I'm especially curious to see how things are going to go for Abby. Her art is obviously more immature than many of the other artists, but her sense of humor is very compatible with mine. I found myself chuckling out loud several times going through her archives, and she had my favorite comments this episode. I don't think she has a huge chance of winning, but I'm going to keep following her either way.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com