Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Ducks

13

Posts

  • jeremyhopkinsjeremyhopkins Registered User new member
    Not a huge fan of reality tv but any show featuring a giant duck boat is brilliant! Wish there was a kickstarter everyone so they all could spend a year doing what they love. Great work!

    NotaCylon
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    holy cow it's a web series, we don't need the previously on nor the overly long intro every single episode

    I actually like the "next time" parts, because you know they're going to be hilariously misleading. (And also, because: butt virginity).

    I'm expecting to be misled by that soundbite; like Erika was actually saying something like, "I don't find promiscuousness very attractive, but virginity can be pretty hot."

    Cambiata
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    We have ducks here too, at Wisconsin Dells. Two competing fleets of ducks, in fact; I've been on both. One doing a more general tour playing on the fact that they were the first duck tour in America, and the other one playing on the ducks' original purpose as amphibious transport during WWII (some of them were used at Normandy, for those of you who've never been on a duck tour.) Didn't think ducks were so widespread until today.

    Hell of a prize. Usually prizes worth that kind of a percentage of the grand prize don't show up until close to the endgame. If at all.

    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ReedtekReedtek Registered User regular
    Interesting to see who is taking this as a classic reality competition and who is just trying to go with the flow and survive.

  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    If I wanted to hear lame jokes and see exciting prizes given away I'd watch the Price is Right. With its has been celebrity host, scantily clad women, flashy lights and exciting noises it is everything this episode was and so much more.

    Seriously though what did this episode accomplish? Where's the hook? Yes I realize you need a downbeat between contests, but content like the material featured in this episode is everywhere and better executed. That episode was about as interesting as sitting through one of those awkward trivia contests in high school, though admittedly with much better production values. Aside from the fact Amy is clearly proving she is a dedicated schemer, was there anything remotely resembling character development in this episode?

    I mean at this point, admittedly judging from this thread alone, the only person the audience seems to have any opinions on is Amy. Granted this thread is a small sample size and I appreciate the fact you aren't stereotyping individuals or trying to fabricate a narrative but... you are five episodes in and Amy is the only person this little body of people wants to talk about. At best you are coming a little slow out of the blocks.

    spiffmanaHappyaxAmyTFalconeNijhazerPanda Likerenderandrew
  • DancingCaseyDancingCasey Registered User regular
    Insanity! I was sitting here at the end of the last episode going, that Katie's comic is hilarious and I love her art... not realizing until going through the profiles that she was the same Katie that makes Skadi, my favorite comic -_- I can no longer root for anyone else.

    nindustrial
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    A list, because I like lists:
    1) Graham is a fine host. He's INTENTIONALLY being bland/not drawing attention to himself. He is not "LRR_Graham ", he is "Strip Search Host". It's not about him, it's about the contestants. He can be a funny dude, go watch Checkpoint, Feed Dump, GPLP, CommodoreHustle, or anything else by him.

    2) Not sure if the duck boat tour in Seattle is anything like the one in Boston(looks like it), but the one in Boston is hooooooribly inaccurate with a lot of the history. Also surprised that there weren't any shots of the driver making them quack. But for this episode, it didn't matter.

    3) Lexxy, Ty and Erika gained points for me this episode, it seemed like we got to know more about them.

    4) I am terrified for Abby in the next challenge. She seems very introverted, and made the mistake of self-deprecation in the t-shirt challenge, and she is young, so probably hasn't interviewed that much. Good luck, Abby.

    5) On the other hand, I would put money down that Lexxy wins the interview challenge. Being a freelance artist that is pretty successful, and having a very professional mien both give her the edge. I suspect she aces the interview.

    6)I think Mac will do just fine as well, because he is an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a question wrapped in a clean cut plain looking, quiet, unassuming dude.

    7) I wonder which there are more of, Dunkin Donuts in Boston, or Starbucks in Seattle?

    8) Amy is fucking cutthroat. This is a good thing right now, but could paint a target on her later.

    Gamercow on
    CuriousPencilNotaCylonsmallvizierPanda Liker
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Watching this mostly just makes me want to hang out with all of these people in that house.

    chstreamsig.jpg
    NotaCylonDark Raven X
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gamercow wrote: »
    5) On the other hand, I would put money down that Lexxy wins the interview challenge. Being a freelance artist that is pretty successful, and having a very professional mien both give her the edge. I suspect she aces the interview.

    Lexxy has an edge in another way, too: She's already done interviews with the PA crowd, up to and including an interview with Khoo. I predict Lexxy wins hands down.

    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

    “Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    ArbitraryDescriptorNotaCylon
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Loving this so far, all the contestants are far too likable for reality TV though ;)

    Concur. I actually had a feeling when Alex slid into frame during the intro! Remember feelings?

    I blame the music, mostly, but it wouldn't have worked if the show hadn't done such such a good job painting him (and everyone) as a likable guy in what little time he had.

    Automata-Sg.png
    NotaCylon
  • Rise_Up44Rise_Up44 MARegistered User regular
    obsessed need more asap

  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    Monica, you're such a fox! That bottle of Malibu in the background looks tasty too.

  • ghostcatghostcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @ZERZHUL
    I get your point, but my problem was that the quiz wasn't creative at all. It was a wrote memory test. Something like a challenge where they had to do a short journal comic about the tour where they got points for the number of trivia they incorporated or something. I don't know, it just seemed like the challenge could have been tailored to the competition a bit more.

    @PSYCHOPEZ
    From the trailer it looked like a typical job interview. If they made it like a journalistic interview, that would make more sense and fit in with the contest. Also, the main point of this show is to entertain the viewers. Watching people get interviewed for a job doesn't sound like gripping tv to me. Interviews are usually handled before the reality show starts. But again, I haven't seen it yet, so I'm reserving judgement until I do. Maybe it'll be awesome and creative.

    EDIT: I just saw Gabe's post, and if it is going to be media interviews rather than job interviews, I think that's a good part of the competition. I think I heard "interviews" and assumed "job interviews".

    On another note, Amy seems perfectly nice to me. I think people are programmed to find someone they want to make into the villan on these type of shows. They've picked footage of her strategizing and it comes off as conniving. Look back at the footage, and you'll see that she has been 100% nice.

    ghostcat on
    CambiataMichyGeary
  • AmyTFalconeAmyTFalcone Illustrator & Cartoonista Seattle, WARegistered User, Strip Search regular
    @ghostcat To be fair, I am SLIGHTLY villainous.

    smallvizierzerzhulCambiataAnialosSpiffy McBangDark Raven XTofystedethOld Red InkNotaCylonOckhamsFollyTavismaidenMichyGearySplive
  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG critique here, but I believe my points are valid and I wanted to put some effort into developing them.

    I'd like to see Strip Search succeed because I think it would be a great thing for our growing little industry and I appreciate the fact you are treating your contestant respectfully. However Strip Search while professionally made is still a low budget production and you've got to maximize the value you get on your return. I don't think you are.

    At their core most reality shows are just game shows with a dwindling body of returning contestants. Sometimes they are documentaries or hybrid documentary game shows, but Strip Search is a straight up game show.

    The hooks of a game show are:
    1) The characters. What do people think of the contestants? My parents watch only one reality show, Dancing with the Stars, but boooooooooooy are the into it. Despite the first episode being 44 minutes of ad riddled content my parents usually have some very strong opinions and after the second episode they have more opinions and they are even stronger.

    Currently Strip Search is 80-84 minutes in and the strongest reaction to the show center around Amy. She's a polarizing figure and that's good for the show because it gets people talking. Personally I don't agree with her desire to strategize, I would see the show as an opportunity to build some personal contacts, but its good for the viewership because she's creating controversy. When fans argue it means they are becoming invested.

    My initial post was incorrect because there also seems to be a group of people who like Abby which is great, but Abby's sense of humor would emerge regardless of the content.

    As for the rest of the contestants the only other person here who has a fan base is Lexxy and I'm flat out going to say reactions to anything Lexxy does are meaningless. She's a well known forum regular, forum friends are not good for gauging the attitudes and reactions of a show's fanbase.

    2) The prizes. I don't care for the prizes, but for a lot of people the giveaways are the exciting part. The fact that you are trying build up the Penny Arcade offices is a good touch, but once the cameras get in there you better give your non PA, non webcomic audience something impressive. The Cintiq was also a good choice of brand placement by wacom, and it certainly got some of the artistic members of the crowd salivating, however you didn't give non artists a reason to give a crap about the prize. They have no idea what makes Cintiqs so desirable. Don't assume people will know, or do the leg work on their own to figure out what makes something awesome, MAKE THEM care.

    Likewise your tour of Seattle didn't make moving to Seattle seem like much of a prize. Rainy, gloomy and all it did is point out a bunch of old landmarks which are uninteresting to anyone who isn't a history buff. Granted Seattle is rainy and gloomy and I understand you don't have the budget to let your cartoonists go on some glitzy Jersey Shore drinking binge, but you have got to do a better job of making the city seem more interesting. A tacky dated generic middle class family oriented tour isn't going to cut it.

    3) The actual content of the show. I appreciate the fact you need a downbeat between elimination contests and agree with that point of view. However this episode wasn't what you needed. I've worked in the tourist industry for years, so I have a greater respect for Captain Lou's work than most people. The tour was boring, the quiz was boring, and they were both in no way related to the rest of the show. I am assuming the people who talk about loving this episode are already committed to the show, but I really can't see this episode hooking people who haven't already decided to watch. The eliminations expose you to the skills necessary for a working web cartoonist, and also create an element of suspense. This episode... was nothing more than a family vacation or an awkward high school field trip.

    You don't have the budget for the things that generate cheap pop with an audience, like say the Price is Right: has been celebrity host, cheesy FX, and eye candy (You could try putting the host or the PA staff in revealing clothing but I don't think that would go over with most of the audience...) So you have to be clever.

    The go-karts might work well as it will expose in moderate live action the extent of the contestants competitive side. (If Amy lasts that long I say she's an aggressive dirty driver.)

    All this episode demonstrated was the capacity of their short term memory and their ability to keep paying attention while under a barrage of cheesy jokes. Considering I can summarize that episode with just that one sentence, in my opinion is a demonstration of how bad the premise was from the beginning.

    smallvizierenderandrewparmeisan
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    only evil people wear that kind of hat.

    AmyTFalconezerzhulCambiataNotaCylon
  • smallviziersmallvizier Registered User regular
    I hadn't really cared for this show before, but now I'm hooked and I'll be surprised if I don't watch the rest of the season.

    It's just great to see a show which is content to make us laugh, show us goofy things and 'waste' twenty minutes on something which does nothing more or less than get the audience to relax in the company of the contestants.

  • smallviziersmallvizier Registered User regular
    To those saying Amy is a villain - my own view is that she's actually one of the easiest to connect to.

    1. I know exactly what it's like to always be 'on.' It doesn't mean you're evil; it just means you find life more interesting if you're playing an active part.

    2. Because she's saying different things to the other contestants, we've got to see more of her and so it's easier to build up a picture of who she is.

    MichyGeary
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I thought I was team Monica because of her sense of humour, but more and more I'm team Abby. Not least because her comic absolutely kicks ass.

    YAY FOR CHOOSING SIDES (so long as it's a new side every week)

    Draw an egg.
  • JayeEmmJayeEmm Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I don't think I have ever watched a reality show before now where, 5 episodes in, there is not even one contestant I want to smother with a pillow. Really enjoying it so far.


    Also, THIS.
    Gamercow wrote: »
    1) Graham is a fine host. He's INTENTIONALLY being bland/not drawing attention to himself. He is not "LRR_Graham ", he is "Strip Search Host". It's not about him, it's about the contestants. He can be a funny dude, go watch Checkpoint, Feed Dump, GPLP, CommodoreHustle, or anything else by him.

    Team Graham!

    JayeEmm on
    makitoriSegNotaCylon
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    To be fair, I am SLIGHTLY villainous.

    +1 Fan. Wait. Or is that exactly what you wanted? I feel manipulated.

    I hope once the show's over there can be a giant Q&A.

    Sejarki on
    NotaCylonMichyGearyLevendis
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    To those saying Amy is a villain - my own view is that she's actually one of the easiest to connect to.

    1. I know exactly what it's like to always be 'on.' It doesn't mean you're evil; it just means you find life more interesting if you're playing an active part.

    2. Because she's saying different things to the other contestants, we've got to see more of her and so it's easier to build up a picture of who she is.

    Definitely agree with this. Her "crime" was winning the first competition and daring to choose Katie for the elimination. She's just being smart. She actually seems really nice, and interesting.

    "Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    SMYNotaCylonMichyGearyskeetshart69
  • lomiuslomius Registered User new member
    Lexxy is beautiful. That is all I have to say about the matter. Ok bye!

    NijhazerFyndirLevendis
  • kilroy214kilroy214 Registered User regular
    I hope Amy stays on. She's gorgeous.

    NijhazerMichyGeary
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ok, guys? Guys? I love Lexxy but.

    Amy is fucking badass.

    Also inlining her drawing it for you fickle mofos:

    whpktmY.png?1

    Cambiata on
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

    “Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Dark Raven XmakitoriNotaCylonTavismaidenMichyGeary
  • MyradinMyradin Registered User new member
    I am enjoying this show so much! I was using my xbox to watch it on youtube today and one of my husbands co-workers asked him if I was at home watching porn...*shakes head* friends list fail.

  • MarraphyMarraphy Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    We have duck tours like that here where I live too! I was kind of surprised to see that they exist elsewhere. They're perfect for tours, but unfortunately it's custom to make fun of them/quack in their direction here...

    Anyways, congrats Lexxy! #Teamlexxy all the way :y

    Dark Raven X
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    holy cow it's a web series, we don't need the previously on nor the overly long intro every single episode

    I actually like the "next time" parts, because you know they're going to be hilariously misleading. (And also, because: butt virginity).

    The "next time" a couple eps ago that was just "fuck. Fuck!" "Shit!" Was pretty great for its own sake.

    steam_sig.png
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    MontyRohde wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG critique here, but I believe my points are valid and I wanted to put some effort into developing them.

    I am pretty sure that nothing you can say about Cintiqs will adequately explain why they are a Good Thing[tm] without being long and boring to anyone that isn't already interested, and if they're already that interested then chances are they already know or will look it up. The reactions of the contestants sold it plenty to those who don't know IMO.

    The tour was great fun, and so was the quiz, neither were boring to me at all, partially because of the personalities involved and the fun they were having.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    MontyRohde wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG critique here, but I believe my points are valid and I wanted to put some effort into developing them.

    I am pretty sure that nothing you can say about Cintiqs will adequately explain why they are a Good Thing[tm] without being long and boring to anyone that isn't already interested, and if they're already that interested then chances are they already know or will look it up. The reactions of the contestants sold it plenty to those who don't know IMO.

    The tour was great fun, and so was the quiz, neither were boring to me at all, partially because of the personalities involved and the fun they were having.
    I used to watch Top Chef with my wife a lot and I knew as much about the cookware they won on there as I do about Lexxy's prize. Prizes for any kind of technical specialty show are going to be pretty technical.

    steam_sig.png
    NijhazerCambiatafightinfilipino
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    MontyRohde wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG critique here, but I believe my points are valid and I wanted to put some effort into developing them.

    I am pretty sure that nothing you can say about Cintiqs will adequately explain why they are a Good Thing[tm] without being long and boring to anyone that isn't already interested, and if they're already that interested then chances are they already know or will look it up. The reactions of the contestants sold it plenty to those who don't know IMO.

    The tour was great fun, and so was the quiz, neither were boring to me at all, partially because of the personalities involved and the fun they were having.
    I used to watch Top Chef with my wife a lot and I knew as much about the cookware they won on there as I do about Lexxy's prize. Prizes for any kind of technical specialty show are going to be pretty technical.

    Yes, the contestants reaction to the prize gave me all of the information about that prize that I needed.

    CambiataTofystedeth
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    I really hope that Amy, or as I like to call her "the scowl", goes home soon. She just seems so unpleasant.

    Because I'm socially awkward, I really hate it when people judge others because of their social awkwardness. "You aren't charming, GO DIE!" Whatever dude, I bet you're not charming either.

    Well, you have interacted with me on two occasions now. I find it hard to believe that you have not been thoroughly charmed.

    Speaking of the socially awkward...

    Maybe people shouldn't invest so much in how the participants of this show look? I am sure the contestants would prefer you fawn over their abilities as an artist instead of their bodies. There are lots of pretty women in this competition, that is undeniable. However, it is a little unsettling that people are focusing on their physical attributes instead of their talent; not surprising, just unsettling.

    enderandrew
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Chattanooga has those duck boat things too! I didn't know other cities had them!

    Me on Twitch!
    Dohaeris210 on PSN
    Me on Steam
  • MichyGearyMichyGeary Registered User regular
    Wow, people are still harping on Amy because she had the audacity to win the first competition and, of absolutely no will of her own, was forced to choose two of her co-competitors for elimination? Man, I cannot wait until YOUR do-no-wrong favorite wins a challenge and has to do the exact same thing. Let's see how many of you are singing the same tune then. It's not an easy position to be in, and it's not like she had the option of opting out.

    Amy did absolutely nothing objectionable in this episode. Paying attention during the tour when the driver SAID there would be a quiz is not indicative of a conniving personality, nor is it deserving ridicule, skepticism about a player's integrity, or contempt. It's just smart, and if you ask me, it's actually admirable. I love how no one is harping on Lexxy, who apparently paid the most attention, for being the same way. People are getting so fired up over something that's in the past, over and done with. Let it go, move on. Just enjoy the show and realize that people are not summed up in your single first misguided impression of them. Keep an open mind or you're going to be really frustrated watching this show. Everyone's good and bad sides are going to be highlighted in different capacities throughout the show, so don't lock in so early in the competition before we even see what these artists are capable of, good or bad.

    CambiataLevendisahdokTofystedeth
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    DUCKS. DUCKS. QUACK-QUACK. QUACK-QUACK.

    My brain wouldn't have supplied anything else during the trip.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I don't think people are ragging on Amy because she won a challenge. I think people are ragging on Amy because when she gives diary entries, she's using very gamist language. She's treating the show like a game that she wants to win at all cost, and evaluates her decisions in terms of what maximises her chances of winning.

    The other competitors are largely giving a feels of "oh wow, this is so cool I feel so lucky to be here." whereas Amy is giving feels of "How do I turn this situation to my advantage." - It's perfectly normal behaviour for a reality gameshow, and you see it on others all the time, but it does come across as cold and unfeeling. When everyone else is being so lovely, it makes you into the badguy of the bunch.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    Panda LikerSpman2099Sejarki
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I think some people are ragging on Amy, because her diary entries show her treating this in a very competitive manner, talking about alliances, and using very gamist language about how she's approaching the show. Most of the other competitors exude "wow, I'm so happy to be here! this is awesome!" whereas Amy is more "I should put on an act and make these decisions, because it increases my chances of winning."

    I don't think people are ragging on her because she won a challenge... Maki won a challenge and got a redraw ticket (which I am now assuming lets him replace his pick from the waste-paper basket if he dislikes it.) - and nobody's really ragging on him.

    I don't think there's much wrong with this, it's a reality gameshow, and you see this a lot in other shows, but I do think that playing the game this way makes you into a badguy with the viewers.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I think some people are ragging on Amy, because her diary entries show her treating this in a very competitive manner, talking about alliances, and using very gamist language about how she's approaching the show. Most of the other competitors exude "wow, I'm so happy to be here! this is awesome!" whereas Amy is more "I should put on an act and make these decisions, because it increases my chances of winning."

    I don't think people are ragging on her because she won a challenge... Maki won a challenge and got a redraw ticket (which I am now assuming lets him replace his pick from the waste-paper basket if he dislikes it.) - and nobody's really ragging on him.

    I don't think there's much wrong with this, it's a reality gameshow, and you see this a lot in other shows, but I do think that playing the game this way makes you into a badguy with the viewers.

    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    enderandrew
  • realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    @ahdok Considering that she's the only person to have made an elimination-challenge decision she's really the only one who has any reason to talk about strategy in the diary room.

    KalTorakCambiata
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @GAMERCOW - You mention that the Boston Duck Boat tour is really inaccurate on its history. Having done several different history tours (as well as walking the Freedom Trail) in Boston, they all seem to provide consistent information. I'm curious what is so massively inaccurate.

    Boston and San Diego are my absolute favorite cities in the country to visit.

    @REALISTICRADICAL - The other 11 contestants are all fairly humble (from what we've seen so far) and very friendly. Amy drew herself with a scowl, had her famous reaction shot to Erika, and seems the most aggressive. So she is going to be polarizing, not just because she won a challenge.

    enderandrew on
Sign In or Register to comment.