As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rage against the NET10 Machine?

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I have spent the last...8 and a half hours of today, and about 4 of them yesterday, attempting to get into contact with someone at Net10 (a cell phone provider) who can help me get my data working on my iPhone 3GS. I have tried e-mail, phone, and their support forum.

It has not worked. Here's what happened: I bought my iPhone 3GS from Gamestop, and was told via Net10 I would get unlimited Data, Minutes, Texting, etc. This was fine. I had to do some BS involving downloading an "APN" or what not, but it worked pretty well for the past few months....except that Safari and Game-center would never load. So I restored my iPhone to defaults. Now it won't go on the web, and gives me an error saying "Could Not Activate Celluar Network". It's been like this for three days.

Also it turns out that Net10 has randomly changed their 'unlimited' plan to only include 1.5 gigs of data, and beyond that, they throttle you - there was no e-mail, text, or call to inform me this was happening to my service. Which is the only response I got from a Net10 rep. "You have violated the terms of use for data, it will return to normal next month" is more or less the gist of it. However, I don't have ANY Data.

I took my break at work today to call Net10. I called once at 2 (was told to call back), once at 7 (was told to call back), and once at 9:25. I eventually got through to a Rep at...945pm. After explaining what happened, they said they'd transfer me to a PERSON who would respond to my issues and let me know whats going on.They gave me a RECORDING on how to use DATA. I KNOW HOW TO USE DATA. Then the recording hung up on me without letting me talk to any real people.

Needless to say, I am pissed off. Super Pissed. Pissed pissed pissed pissed pissed pissed. Like, R Kelly would be in awe of this much piss I 'ed.

So, I may be a little hot right now, but here's what I want

1. A backup plan. I have an AT&T iPhone 3gs. I think it's unlocked, but I don't know. If I blow up my Net10 service, which I would *Happily* do, what is a good alternative that isn't going to break the bank. I can't really get a contract for a phone because my credit is shot thanks to STUPID STUDENT LOANS, but in a perfect world I'd like a deal that's similar to what Net10 offered, sans the bullshit.

2. I want to burn down their house. Figuratively. I cannot believe the level of absolute bullshit I had to go through, and AM going through, to get my phone on the god damn internet. Where do I post, what do I say, and who do I talk to ensure Net10 understands they're a bunch of fucking asshole bastards?

3. being able to use my iPhone is the most important thing here. I have apps and apps and apps and more apps that I use daily for work and recreation, so switching to a Samsung or something is unfortunately out of the question. What is the bestest, cheapest, easiest way to use my current 3GS on another network, and what's the best?

ANTVGM64 on

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What do you mean by 'restored my iPhone to defaults'? If you're talking about a root or jailbreak, the provided is unlikely to help you out because you probably broke their EULA. If you just did a factory reset, they'll probably help you out, but you might need to go into a store to have them install their proprietary bullshit back onto the handset before it'll work again (I might be out of date on this one; maybe they can do it remotely these days).

If you want to rage at the machine, there are plenty of cellular company boards to go vent on - just be aware that it's unlikely anyone is going to care. Everyone knows the cockroach carriers suck, and the big carriers suck just marginally less.

I can't help with your other two questions I'm afraid.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Well the thing about Net10 is that they encourage you to Jailbreak / Unlock your phone so you can jerry-rig the APN settings. They came up with a work-around for folks who don't want to do that, which I did. Alas, Net10 wireless doesn't appear to have any stores in my area >.<

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    You could switch to T-mobile pre-paid (provided your phone is unlocked), but at the moment your 3G won't work.

Can't you just re-do the stuff you did when you signed up for their service?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Also it turns out that Net10 has randomly changed their 'unlimited' plan to only include 1.5 gigs of data

Point of order- "unlimited" does not refer to capacity. Never has. It's a holdover from ye olde modem days, where "unlimited" plans meant you had an unlimited amount of time each month to use your ISPs dial-up service.

You may recall those coasters that had pretty little "AOL" logos on them, they were usually for something like a hundred or thousand or so hours of internet access? Yeah, that's what "unlimited" is talking about.

Capacity has always been unlimited for the same reason Bill Gates thought 640K should be enough for anybody. Nobody ever considered the capacity of downloading movies from Netflix or something similar when they started offering those services. So "unlimited" technically still only meant unlimited time, but capacity was assumed.

Honestly, if your cell phone provider wants you to jailbreak your phone just to use their service, you should probably have thought twice about getting service from them.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't use a smartphone, but I've had pretty good service with Boost. Sprint I think currently has the best data plans, but they're not cheap.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I don't have any useful advice but I thought I'd share this story.

I've had NET10 for years. It's just the cheapest option for me and all I want my phone to do is make and receive phone calls. Receiving could be optional really :p. Anyway, I foolishly upgraded from a grey-scale Nokia and went through several newer phones till I realized they all sucked compared to the Nokia which was naturally no longer available in stores because wtf would anyone want with that dinosaur?

Anyway, I called up their support line which is an absolute bastard to deal with. Eventually I was told that in order to reactivate my old phone they'd have to send me a new sim card in the mail. Cool. So I wait a couple of weeks to get the sim card then call back. Naturally I get someone who has no idea what's going on and they walk me through activating the sim card. Then when my phone still doesn't work and my replies to their questions don't match up to their expectations I can almost hear the dawning realization in their voice. "You'll need a new sim card."

I suppose I'm unlikely to die from aneurysm because if it was going to happen it would have happened there. I decided that, awesome as that Nokia was, it wasn't going to happen no matter how many sim cards they sent me. I really wish they still had Nokia phones, even if they weren't grey-scale. Or that I had a cheaper option than NET10.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options