Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Pressing Buttons

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2013 in Strip Search

Strip Search - Pressing Buttons

After taking a little field trip to learn more about Seattle the Artists must now learn a little more about themselves through the eyes of someone new.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Does anyone else find themselves refreshing the PA homepage at 12:01a PST Tuesday and Friday looking for new Strip Search content? :}

And... hm. Without spoilers... here we go again...

WalterJKovacs
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    I liked the interview part, I felt that they didn't give them much to go on to choose who to go. The T-Shirt design let everyone see each others art, this was sort of take our word for it but X said Y about Z. I did like that we got to learn more abut the contestants. I would not have picked the same people to go to elimination.

THESPOOKYMaz-schussKamelon
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY Freaky Ghost Bed Registered User regular
    xThanatoSx wrote: »
    Does anyone else find themselves refreshing the PA homepage at 12:01a PST Tuesday and Friday looking for new Strip Search content? :}

And... hm. Without spoilers... here we go again...

I find myself doing it at 3:01 EST!

And yeah, a really rough competition with rough results.

l06bdf3wvrf6.png
    WalterJKovacsxThanatoSx
  • Mossy ToesMossy Toes Idle Warhammerer Eye of TerrorRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ouch. I'm pretty confident in my ability to present myself, but those interviews were brutal.

Mossy Toes on
    JoshEckCambiataKamelon
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    Now I'm rooting for Katie because she is the lovable underdog.

Also, the full interview with Erika sounds really interesting. XD

pasigsizedu5.jpg
    RaphDSzerzhulmageormikeGnomeland SecurityKamelon
  • bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    I wish they had gotten a real journalist. Also Katie is gonna crush that shit, shes master of the thunderdome.

Spman2099HappyaxGnomeland SecurityKabitzyempath
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    Man oh man, Katie AGAIN!?? Hahahaha...

Part of me is really beginning to think that people are picking her because they KNOW she'll come back from these eliminations. They like her, know her work and respect her, so they're making it easier on themselves by only picking one person they think should go home. My heart goes out to Ty, though. Dude seems cool, if a little guarded (I'm really loving all you fellow artists on this show), but Katie's coming back. Bet on it.

Something this episode really made me realize is that I wish there was more footage of the artists just hanging out and spending time together. That's something other reality shows seem to do a bit more and I imagine the only reason it isn't happening here is because of budgetary constraints. These episodes are all business. Not a complaint, just an observation. Lovin' it!

FranklinBluthKamelon
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Nooooooo Katie.... you're so adorable and charming ='(

Please come back from the thunderdome or whatever its called

• flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Also shittiest prize ever, Nick didn't even get anything cool! Just the agony of picking two people to be eliminated

eBusinessKamelonAldo
  • KthanidKthanid Registered User new member
    I'm definitely on team Katie. She has the advantage of knowing what to expect and Ty seems (to me at least) to be easily distracted and can lose focus. Really looking forward to Friday now.

• GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    bingodan wrote: »
    I wish they had gotten a real journalist.
    Sorry, did you miss my introduction of her credentials?

JoshEckRaphDSFranklinBluthSpman2099HappyaxElbasunuXeavnTHESPOOKYenderandrewDiplominatorMingo413CambiatazerzhulSpiritfireAldoempathTofystedeth
  • RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    I think Katie will totally crush Ty. It's like "send them with Katie when you want them out".

Gnomeland Security
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    GrahamS wrote: »
    bingodan wrote: »
    I wish they had gotten a real journalist.
    Sorry, did you miss my introduction of her credentials?

Oh snap, Graham's getting the gloves out! :D
    I kid, I kid.
    Sort of.

• SomeursaultSomeursault Registered User regular
    I guess if they nominate Katie every time, someone might eventually get in a lucky shot and take her out? I will be shocked if she doesn't beat Ty.

Raphtyr
  • ItsatrapItsatrap Registered User regular
    I thought everyone did a tremendous job given the circumstances. Really, being interviewed is never easy, even for people who are "practiced" at it. Of course, having a drink beforehand helps too, but that isn't always an option. ;)

• Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Wow, what a crap hand Nick was dealt. I mean, it is great to know that you aren't going home; however, he had to make his decision going on a pretty limited amount of information... I don't know, that seemed like a pretty crappy decision to have to make.

Oh, and much like Bingodan, I wish they had gotten a more respectable journalist. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think much of Kotaku. Come at me, Graham.

Spman2099 on
    JoshEckempath
  • darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    Ugh. Ugh. I hate this show. Screw all y'all putting Katie in there again.

Also, I legit cheered when Monica said, "You know, I don't care to say." I can't believe the stuff people were answering and doing.

empath
  • cbricharcbrichar Registered User regular
    I Love Mac. He's like a friendly, inscrutable, unshakable robot.

Splive
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Once again, Abby and Erika are my favorites. I find it interesting and kind of cool how people have made decisions about sending folks off.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, if Ty goes home, I may cry. I love Katie, but I'm Team Ty!

• it'sabookit'sabook Registered User new member
    Erika was a real pro. Despite the played-for-laughs litany of firsts, she ended with a confident smile and actually looked comfortable being interviewed. It's a shame that her willingness to answer personal questions was held against her because her interview was by far the most enjoyable to watch.

enderandrewSpman2099Kamelon
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I wonder how much research the interviewer did before the show. Because really, if you know anything about Erika, you'd be surprised if she DIDN'T mention butt virginity.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    tynics7arbuckBlueBlueenderandrewempath
  • spillfishspillfish Registered User regular
    Also shittiest prize ever, Nick didn't even get anything cool! Just the agony of picking two people to be eliminated

Technically he won immunity for the day, but yeah, it is sort of odd compared to other prizes we've seen. Trivia contest: "Have a Cintiq!" Harsh interview: "You're a pretty cool guy, Cool Guy Nick!"

empath
  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I was about to say that there's not really a prize related to self-PR... but then I realised the prize for a pop-quiz on Seattle trivia given by a guy driving a duckboat gave you a Cintiq.

So sucks to be Cool Guy Nick :< Still though. Cool Guy Nick.

Panda Liker on
  • CaseusCaseus Registered User new member
    Y'know, I'm really digging this show; it's got a lot of heart. I feel like the contestants, judges and host alike are really genuine and friendly people, and it's refreshing to see a reality TV show where the people aren't concerned with creating drama and being spitefully competitive, and are just trying to win on the merits of their own talent.

...So this whole winner-chooses-loser element totally irks me. It kinda throws all that out the window. It was okay for the first challenge; it was an unexpected twist that raised the stakes, but I think it was a little unfair this time around. For one, the contestants didn't get to watch each other's interviews, so they couldn't possibly judge for themselves how the others did, and secondly, they got feedback secondhand through Graham. Nick had to make his decision based on Graham's interpretation of AJ's feedback on an interview he didn't even see. Like, how would you even...

And he didn't even win anything! Honestly, I think the interviewer should have made the decision for who went to the elimination round; she'd be the only fair judge of that.

Absentiacbricharlord_monkeytonspiffmanaXeavnKamelonempath
  • root87root87 Registered User new member
    Yeah, knowing that they'll probably stick to this "winner chooses who goes up for elimination"-deal makes it kind of painful to move on. There's a positive vibe going around, even during the elimination (at least I think so). Why do they have to throw off everyone ? It makes you feel sad for the winner, which it really shouldn't.

Still, i'm probably gonna go on watching, because they all seem to be nice people and above all, pretty interesting artists.

Kamelon
  • BogartBogart Newsflash, fuckwads: I'm a good person. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like having the winner choose the two to go into the elimination round when he hadn't actually seen any of the interviews himself needed to be divorced from the second-hand feedback about the interviews.

The winner gains immunity and picks the two for elimination, ok. But if they simply can't judge who did really badly because the challenge took place behind closed doors it should be made clear they aren't being asked to pick them based on that feedback. They're safe, and get to pick whoever they like.

Kamelonempath
  • shapenajishapenaji Registered User regular
    I find Amy... Terrifying. This is all business to her, which I suppose is semi-reasonable, this IS a big opportunity. But for a competition among cartoonists, I find her especially cold and humorless. I can't imagine looking forward to a weekly read of her perspective on the world in comic form.

Venkman90Maz-lord_monkeytondarklaoStupidenderandrewMingo413MichyGearyempath
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    shapenaji wrote: »
    I find Amy... Terrifying. This is all business to her, which I suppose is semi-reasonable, this IS a big opportunity. But for a competition among cartoonists, I find her especially cold and humorless. I can't imagine looking forward to a weekly read of her perspective on the world in comic form.

Yeah, she really seems pissed off the whole time.

enderandrewMichyGearyempath
    Anyone who can post a drawing of herself in the SE++ thread rubbing her hands with glee and chuckling MUHAHAHAHA is fine by me.

I mean, c'mon. Terrifying? Cold and humourless? These are awful strong words to bring out about someone you've seen for all of maybe ten minutes total.

JoshEckFalxgodmodeJermsTHESPOOKYMingo413CambiataAnialos
  • shapenajishapenaji Registered User regular
    Hey, first impressions are all I've got (And apropos given that this was the "interview" episode). I'm willing to accept that it may be the editors crafting her persona... But it doesn't seem that way.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yeah, letting Nick pick the nominees seems like a bad choice to me as well since he wasn't there for the interviews.

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    empath
    Maz- wrote: »
    Yeah, letting Nick pick the nominees seems like a bad choice to me as well since he wasn't there for the interviews.

Oh, I think he should have picked the nominees because hey, he won, but they needed to divorce the challenge from his reasons for picking people.

• hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Finally, the episode that reveals the origin of the "butt virginity" teaser!

In all seriousness, I could not find the journalist credible. There's a difference between tough reporting and just being hostile and unnecessarily antagonizing. I know we didn't see the full interviews, but as someone who has conducted dozens of interviews, I know that you never put them on the defensive right off the bat, and you certainly don't warn them ahead of time as you are less likely to catch them off-guard later if you are digging for something specific. I understand that this is part-theatre, but it took me out of the episode as I didn't find it realistic.

Still Team Katie.

hotzp on
    lord_monkeytonRaakamMingo413superjermsKamelonMr. Putterempath
  • lord_monkeytonlord_monkeyton NZRegistered User new member
    I really don't like how this episode portrays journalism as asking bizarre personal questions for no apparent reason. Then again, it's not like the Gawker sites have a good reputation for journalistic integrity. I guess it's par for the course for them.

I wish more of the contestants had told the journalist to shove off. As a working journalist, I know something about how you should approach interviewing people, and sometimes you do have to be combative. But only an idiot of a journalist would be antagonistic for no reason.

I am thoroughly enjoying this series, and I'm definitely going to keep watching, but I hope there's no more of this out-of-place snark. It's a real shame that this episode revolves around it.

hotzpzerzhulVenkman90spiffmanaMaz-nerfherderhanenderandrewRaakamsuperjermsKamelonMr. Putterempath
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy Registered User regular
    I don't know, Nick's decision seems pretty indicative of real life, in that we constantly make choices under less than ideal circumstances, and with less-than-perfect disseminations of information to boot. It seems like the creators of Strip Search have a hard balance to maintain between a casual atmosphere and a competitive one. The winner choosing who might get eliminated is a good counter to the generally good vibes of the show, in an effort to make sure no one gets too complacent about the show. It is a competition after all.

Myntempath
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait for someone to say, "Screw this, everybody choose a pen. I was thinking of black and blue. Okay, you two are going to elimination."

Then when Grant asks why they picked those people, they don't have to say horrible things about them to their faces.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    KamelonAldoMr. Putterempath
  • crazyjackcsacrazyjackcsa Registered User new member
    As a reporter for a local radio station that serves around a half million people, I hope AJ was fed questions, or that the editors cut out the "boring" actual interview. The only interesting and pertinent questions were for Mac about his kid. Sing me a song? What's the meanest thing you've ever done? When did you lose your virginity? Nothing like a real interview ever. Can't say as I've ever asked the mayor a question like that. Not even if it was a "Get to know the mayor" piece.

hotzpspiffmanaenderandrewRaakamsuperjermsKamelonMr. Putterempath
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I wish more of the contestants had told the journalist to shove off. As a working journalist, I know something about how you should approach interviewing people, and sometimes you do have to be combative. But only an idiot of a journalist would be antagonistic for no reason.

It wasn't "for no reason" at all. The entire point of the interview was to rattle the contestants with probing or antagonizing questions, to see how they handle it.

Scosglen on
    LexxyTavismaidenCambiataempathTofystedeth
    edited March 2013
    The show is an artificial set-up, so if they're going to ask someone to nominate people based on some criteria they maybe shouldn't half-ass it by making that criteria (or some of it) second-hand reports of something they didn't see. He nominated Katie based on, basically, some stuff the host said about a thing he didn't see ("nice answers, but forgettable" is the sum total of the feedback Katie gets). That seems kinda lame, and it's the show's fault that it seems lame.

He justifies it in his to camera comments quite well, but it doesn't stop it from being a lame thing to ask someone to nominate on.

Bogart on
    Kamelonempath