The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Pressing Buttons

• graphicpirategraphicpirate Registered User regular
    I don't recall them asking the contestants to pick 2 people who the winner of the competition thought did the worst. They just seem to be following the steps of Amy from the first one. They could just say "You keep leaving the toothpaste cap off and because of that you deserve to go back to your ugly dead careless cap-free toothpaste dispensing life"! ... it may happen soon once there is like 4-5 left though. ): D>

s7arbuckKamelon
  • BogartBogart Newsflash, fuckwads: I'm a good person. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    They might pick someone for reasons that have nothing to do with the challenge they've all just taken and the feedback they've all just heard, but it's surely not beyond the realms of possibility that the winner thinks they should be nominating based on those things. Right now what the hell else are they supposed to base it on?

As the competition goes on I'd expect that reasons not connected to the preceding challenge some to the fore (people get to know each other, scope out who threats are, personality clashes, etc).

EDIT: I am being negative in my comments but I really do like the show.

Bogart on
  • ChristopherJohnChristopherJohn Registered User regular
    When Nick first said Katie's name my immediate reaction was, "What about Monica?" But once he explained himself I totally understood where he was coming from. Monica was defensive, and a little "stiff," but she held her ground and her refusal to answer a question really resonated with the interviewer. Katie on the other hand was written off as forgettable.

I felt the whole "Lexxy bombed" critique was a little harsh. True, she lost her train of thought a bit, and whenever she was criticized to spun in the most positive way she could, but wouldn't do that? I thought Ty and Mac bombed.

Kamelon
  • ChristopherJohnChristopherJohn Registered User regular
    When Nick first said Katie's name my immediate reaction was, "What about Monica?" But once he explained himself I totally understood where he was coming from. Monica was defensive, and a little "stiff," but she held her ground and her refusal to answer a question really resonated with the interviewer. Katie on the other hand was written off as forgettable.

I felt the whole "Lexxy bombed" critique was a little harsh. True, she lost her train of thought a bit, and whenever she was criticized to spun in the most positive way she could, but wouldn't do that? I thought Ty and Mac bombed.

• MyntMynt Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Last episode, I was ONE question away from a cintiq, so this was a bittersweet consolation prize.

Anyone there could tell you I did not enjoy being in that position. Not. At. All.

But, I cannot change the circumstance that I was handed. Someone told me that I won, and my reward was I had to tell two people that I like, "Hey, the party's still going, but you have to leave." If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I don't want to be THAT guy. I don't like THAT GUY. No one likes THAT GUY.

So, with a heavy heart, I made the best choice I could, based on the information I was given.

Was it perfect information?

I don't know.

But how often do you have to make a choice where you know all the variables? If you're life is anything like mine, that opportunity is quite rare.

But I made the choice I made, based on the way I wanted to see the game played. If it wasn't the choice you would have made, become a contestant on season two.

Hugs, kisses and fingerpistols,
    Cool Guy (but maybe not today) Nick

LexxyzerzhulTavismaidenElbasunumageormikeStratoXeavnSleepwalker9DiplominatorShi no TenshiCambiataKamelonAldoSpliveempathTofystedethPavio
    edited March 2013
    On a lighter note Here's some interview advice from Cool Guy Nick:
    http://i.imgur.com/PBfuSoO.jpg

edit: changed to link cause of slight nsfw-ness

Mynt on
    JermsWorld as MythCrippl3Mingo413fraggyAldodarleysam
  • romeothepirateromeothepirate Registered User new member
    Clearly we didn't see the entire interview, but Katie (to me) didn't appear forgettable in the interview with AJ. I found her answers to be pretty real and honest answers. I get the point of this exercise, but I thought this challenge was pretty weird - especially to have it this early in the competition.

Anyway, what's done is done. Fingers crossed. #TeamKatie

Kamelon
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

I wish more of the contestants had told the journalist to shove off. As a working journalist, I know something about how you should approach interviewing people, and sometimes you do have to be combative. But only an idiot of a journalist would be antagonistic for no reason.

It wasn't "for no reason" at all. The entire point of the interview was to rattle the contestants with probing or antagonizing questions, to see how they handle it.

but so what was the 'correct' answer then, to refuse to answer the antagonizing questions because they're inappropriate/rude/disrespectful, or to play along with the mock-interview because it's not a real interview and it's designed to rattle you? Like, if he'd refused to sing the song, would have that been taken as 'bad' for not playing along?

KamelonMr. Putterempath
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    For the record, AJ *is* a pro, which is why we chose her. It's interesting that people latch onto the Kotaku part of her resume and don't realize that journalists move around pretty frequently, especially as a freelancer. Look at any respected game journalist, and you'll note how many places they've contributed to in the past.

The decision the winner of the Competitive Challenges make certainly take the challenge into account, but they don't need to base their decision on it. Whoever wins next, for instance could decide that Monica should go since she did poorly in this challenge, or their interactions in the house led to believe they didn't deserve to be there. That said, the information we gave the contestants was complete re: each others interviews.

Some guy.
    makitorispiffmanaTHESPOOKYscrattatatMingo413Kamelonempath
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Scosglen wrote: »

I wish more of the contestants had told the journalist to shove off. As a working journalist, I know something about how you should approach interviewing people, and sometimes you do have to be combative. But only an idiot of a journalist would be antagonistic for no reason.

It wasn't "for no reason" at all. The entire point of the interview was to rattle the contestants with probing or antagonizing questions, to see how they handle it.

but so what was the 'correct' answer then, to refuse to answer the antagonizing questions because they're inappropriate/rude/disrespectful, or to play along with the mock-interview because it's not a real interview and it's designed to rattle you? Like, if he'd refused to sing the song, would have that been taken as 'bad' for not playing along?

There is no correct answer. It's all about how you answer the question, or how you refuse to answer it.

I liked the interview, like the host said, the show is about the complete package it's not just a drawing competition.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    Mr. Putter
  • GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    The big problem I had with the interview was that in a real interview, there is a point. There's a target at which you can direct yourself, be it a job, a specific magazine, a new album, a new book, a promotional tour, etc. There's SOMETHING that should be the focus of the interview. There were many questions that I would have said "Why do you need to know that" if I was being interviewed.

That said, Nick absolutely blew this one away. Great answers, concise but not too short, he was engaging, calm, and well spoken. I identified the most with Monica, because I could tell that she really wanted to say "Fuck you, back off!" to the interviewer. Glad she took a stand at the end. I really liked Erika's answer to the "Why are you here" question, because I had the same question, she was already a pro webcomic artist, why not give that opportunity to someone less known? Nothing against her, or her work, I love it, but I saw this as an opportunity for the lesser known artists.

I would have chosen Ty and Lexxy, Ty for the reasons Nick said, and Lexxy because she got defensive about a pretty legit question about time management.

Mr. Putterempath
  • TavismaidenTavismaiden Registered User, Strip Search new member
    @Scosglen nailed it. It was less about the interview and more about how you handle yourself. It was definitely a challenge.

It's ok Nick, we still love you. You're still cool, you're still cool!

LexxyMyntCambiataKamelon
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    NICK IS SO FUCKIN COOL

Some guy.
    LexxyKochikensMyntzerzhulTavismaidenElbasunuDiplominatorAvrahamCrippl3Mingo413CambiataKamelonAldoAnialosempathTofystedeth
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    "For the record, AJ *is* a pro"

Just based on the sample we have she is NOT a professional. She was hostile, combative and worded her questioned very offensively. The point of the interview was for you to promote "strip search"

I have been in interviews similar to that for product launches where our PR people straight up ended the interview and told the "journalist" that walking in with an agenda is not acceptable. Allowing a journalist to walk all over someone and beat them is completely unacceptable.

At some point, someone from PA/SS should have stepped in to help direct the questioning along a more reasonable path. That is not the contestant's job, it is a producer's to direct the message.

Oh and sending Katie AGAIN is total bullsh*t

Shi no TenshisuperjermsspiffmanaMr. Putterempath
    @gnomeland I'm not sure how many interviews you've been part of, but answering normal questions isn't difficult. Answering difficult, antagonizing questions are. This is a challenge. It is supposed to be challenging. Sorry you don't like it.

Some guy.
    scrattatatShi no TenshiCambiataGarret Doriganspiffmanaempath
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    TY for replying! (I feel special)

Again, this is based on the 15 minute sample we have of hours of interviews.

The point of this was to promote Strip Search and act as a challenge. Why is the reporter talking about her personal feelings? How she feels about the person? How the connected with her? Isnt the point of this to clarify and present the product or to get on message? (what is SS? why are you here? what makes you different from others? etc?) I just think the reported failed at that fundamental level (IMHO)

Now if the point of this was to get your fans emotional invested in the episode, you win there :)

Gnomeland Security on
    KamelonMr. Putterempath
    For the record... Reading the comments (Something I know I SHOULDN'T do) I love how passionate people are about Strip Search. Whether or not I agree with them.

I said it in my follow-up interview... It's far worse if people don't care about what you're doing than if people get abrasive (to a point, of course).

Oh and I may be cool... But Robert Khoo is the Khoo-lest.

See you guys in Boston :)

ElbasunuzerzhulMingo413KamelonempathTofystedeth
    Well, her personal feelings are relevant because in a good interview the two people connect on some level, that makes it interesting to watch. It's not just an advertisement for whatever the person is selling, that's boring, nobody wants to watch that interview.

KamelonempathTofystedeth
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Noooo! Not again! I just want to give Katie the biggest hug and a hot water bottle, and tell her everything will be okay.

Nick, you are super cool under pressure. :)

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    Kamelon
  • Candy SmugglerCandy Smuggler Registered User new member
    Katie again? She's been my favorite from the start. Hope she makes it.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    It sounds like the definition of 'interview' being used by some commenters is what I would consider a press release.

KamelonempathTofystedeth
    There's a lot of people saying "that's not a real portrayal of journalism" or "she wasn't asking them realistic questions." but that wasn't the point of the challenge.

The aim of this challenge was for the journalist to throw dung at them and see how they coped with it, to shake them up, to try and second guess them, trick them, piss them off, and generally make them uncomfortable - to see how they coped with the kind of questions that journalists might /potentially/ throw at them.

I was almost shouting at my computer "don't answer that!" or "just say "I don't know" or "I don't want to talk about that, sorry!"" - so it was lovely to see Monica's refusal lauded as a good thing in the end.

Kamelonspiffmanaempath
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    I'm a working journalist and I don't understand the complaints about AJ's antagonism and off-the-wall questions. No, that's not how a real interview would go, but this was an interview designed for TV entertainment value. Her goal was to screw with the contestant's and make it hard and uncomfortable for them. I seriously doubt anyone is conflating this with real journalism.

Also I echo the sadness about the way eliminations are handled. I wish they did it Survivor-style -- winner gets immunity, everybody else votes, bottom two go up for elimination.

CambiataKamelonempath
  • CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    Nothing struck me as unfair in this -- different people with multiple strengths and varying weaknesses, voluntarily part of the 'process', to use the vernacular. I don't think it was unnecessarily cruel to transport these candidates into stressful parts of their minds, which are after all their sites of production/creation; it's never going to get to Fear Factor levels of ridiculous spectacle-humiliation, because we know who's overseeing the whole thing and that's not what they're about.

The way that people react outside their comfort zone is a good indicator of what they can tolerate in A World Of Business, like it or not. I doubt we'll see articles on each candidate, but unedited rushes of the interviews would be fascinating, or transcripts thereof.

/twocents.

empath
    edited March 2013
    I was pretty disappointed when I found out that this was going to be an interview challenge, but I really enjoyed getting some more face time with the contestants this week to get to know their personalities a bit more -- something non-stop art challenges may not necessarily lend themselves to.

Although I have to say that in this context, the idea that Erika was too open is absurd. She's not interviewing for a job as a data analyst. She's a cartoonist. She knows she's charming and funny and isn't afraid to say what's on her mind. If anything that's an asset for making fans.

Also, I can't wait for the Strip Search DVDs so I can see all the awesome uncut content, which I am guessing will include these interviews :D

Lamp on
    edited March 2013
    Also... I think the lesson here is to know what level you are comfortable and confident in answering HARD questions. Some people have a higher threshold for what they're willing to talk about (i.e.: Erika) than others. That being said, I had a lot of respect for the one person who said No. AJ didn't get close to my comfort threshold... If we went out shopping though... maybe :P

AJ told us, "she's there to get information." and if we want to reach out to the public, it's our responsibility to give that information at a level we feel appropriate. If I felt like the reporter asked me something I didn't want the public to know about, I wouldn't have answered. Contest or no... because I (and whatever company I may represent) have to live with the consequences those answers may have after the show... Not her.

You (usually) don't get to cherry-pick your reporter... But you DO get to choose what you give them, and in what way.

Mynt on
    ElbasunuEndFearghaillzerzhulMingo413Kamelonempath
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    @gnomeland I'm not sure how many interviews you've been part of, but answering normal questions isn't difficult. Answering difficult, antagonizing questions are. This is a challenge. It is supposed to be challenging. Sorry you don't like it.

There's a reality show on the food network called The Next Food Network Star. A challenge they like to do is having the contestants do a food demo to an audience while the host messes things up, or the stove doesn't work etc, and then they judge them on how well they handled it. But, the audience at home is in on the gimmick. Otherwise, everyone would think the host was terrible.

IIRC in this episode it's played straight the entire way, this is a writer doing interviews for an article. Now, I am -really super smart- and realize that this is a reality competition and the real point of the interview was the reality challenge: Antagonizing Interview, but it doesn't surprise me to see people thinking and commenting "woah what an unprofessional interviewer wow woah".

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Shi no TenshiKamelon
    Indeed. it's kinda the job of journalists to find out those things that you don't want everyone to know. At least sometimes. :)

empath
  • neonfungineonfungi Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    i was sort of perplexed at how AJ was bombarding monica with questions about jealousy, which she didn't seem to know how to answer. i was thinking the same thing, if someone asked me if i have a problem with jealousy and immediately demanded anecdotes from my personal life, i think i'd be a bit stunned! it seemed out of the blue, but then again i don't know why/how she chose the questions she did.

neonfungi on
    Mr. Putterempath
  • cleverclever Registered User new member
    You got this, Katie. Every time you are up for elimination you only get STRONGER!

• WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    As a journalist, I can say from experience that it's really not that big a deal if an interviewee says "No" to a difficult question. There are tons of reasons you might do so, and it's completely your prerogative. I do a lot of corporate stuff, so there's endless red tape and/or interpersonal politics to skirt around in any interview, and it's ultimately your decision what you want me to hear.

Sometimes people think that the one asking the questions controls the interview, but really we want something from you. Yes, you need us to get you in the magazine or whatever, but without you we don't have a reason to exist. That's why "taking control of the interview" was such a big part of the positive feedback.

I am surprised to see Katie facing elimination again, but I do respect that Nick didn't factor her previous elimination round visit in his decision. It's not his fault she went previously, and he offered a valid reason for the choice.

Also, total aside, but is it just me or does Alex look very sad in the title sequence now?

empath
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

d.TFFoS on
  • d.TFFoSd.TFFoS Registered User regular
    This episode felt really weird to me.
    First: the interview. AJ may be a professional, but it seemed her persona was "worst/least educated interviewer ever." Maybe that was her goal, but some of the questions were phrased poorly, done too pushily, or way too personal. "Are you funny" is a terrible question to ask someone. And unfortunately, Ty bombed the response (he should have just said "no," even though he is), but the correct question is "describe your comedic style." The sex questions were far too personal, (I would have sent Erika in just for answering them though), and AJ was just bullying Monica. I totally agreed with her decision of "this isn't someone I want to talk to".

Maybe the problem here was that the contestants were told AJ wanted to write a piece on Strip Search. If the contestants were told they were going to be verbally and sexually harassed (because yes, asking someone to describe their sexual history in an interview is harassment) in order to find out how well they can talk/think under pressure, it might have been less unsettling/

And the choices: Choosing Ty was understandable, even if he got the short end of the stick with the questions asked of him. And Katie? Boring isn't really that bad in an interview. AJ and Cool Guy Nick might not want boring, but a ton of people resonate with someone who is just nice and down to earth. And this is something that a lot of professional HR people and interviewers seem not to realize. They're the type that just get really strong recommendations because they're so god damn pleasant to work with.

RaakamSpman2099superjermsKamelonMr. Putterempath
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    @D.TFFOS I agree that being down-to-earth is not a bad thing, but this is a fake interview on a reality TV show. The point of the challenge is to come out of your shell, to showcase your personality and let the audience know who you are a little bit. I understand that that's difficult for some people, I'm not saying that who they are in the interview is who they are in real life necessarily. For instance, Monica does not seem like a really defensive, quiet person in any of the other clips we've seen. But failing to connect is failing to connect, whether you clam up or just float through the interview. Personally, I probably wouldn't have picked Katie, but he had a totally valid reason to.

Also, I feel like everyone needs to remember that this is edited. I'm sure they did better than "here's two seconds of commentary, remember it all go!" in telling Nick he had to choose the people who face elimination. It just didn't get in the episode because it's not that important and they're pressed for time.

• stisestise Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I think part of both Amy and Nick's decision to send Katie to the elimination face-off is based on the assumption that she'll win. They pick whoever they feel was actually weakest in the challenge and sentence them to a merciful death-by-Katie.

stise on
    MontiraySpman2099Kamelonempath
    edited March 2013
    I think the people upset that Erika was asked about losing her virginity should at least consider that she has literally made a career drawing comics about her sexuality. Last I checked she has a new project where she reviews sex toys. The questions were personalized and I guarantee no one else was asked anything like that.

Lamp on
    GethSomeursaultSpman2099Kamelonempath
  • GabeSGabeS Registered User new member
    Aaaarrgggghhh! I think Katie needs to get a prize on par with that Cintiq if she wins another elimination round. I was really disappointed that she made a great comic strip (the only great strip that has been made so far on this show about comics) and received nothing while Lexxy got a Cintiq for answering questions about Seattle. At least give her immunity for a round or something.

Someursault
    You guys should really read Erikas comics.

They're fucking great.

MyntStratotynicGarret DoriganKamelon
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    GabeS wrote: »
    Aaaarrgggghhh! I think Katie needs to get a prize on par with that Cintiq if she wins another elimination round. I was really disappointed that she made a great comic strip (the only great strip that has been made so far on this show about comics) and received nothing while Lexxy got a Cintiq for answering questions about Seattle. At least give her immunity for a round or something.

I really can't agree with you. A nice prize for the social challenge makes sure people take it some what seriously. Winning the elimination challenge means YOU GET TO STAY ON THE SHOW. Which is the greatest prize of all.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    empath
  • Oatmeal2kOatmeal2k Registered User new member
    I realize that they're "looking for the complete package" but so far this is a show that will find the person who can make shirts, put up with bratty interviews and be inoffensive enough not to get sniped by a non-merit-based nomination system. There's no reward for quality, so why should we be invested?

Given that we're at a one-third-of-a-strip-per-episode rate, is it too late to call this Inoffensive Person Search? Or maybe Strip Roulette?

Really disappointed in the show so far, its too arbitrary to care about.

WangchangbackupShoot-ManMr. Putterempath