Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Pressing Buttons

• WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    I'll be really sad if Monica ever loses. I've always freaking loved her comic.

• HuMaNTooLHuMaNTooL Registered User regular
    Any chance we could get longer episodes or a MWF schedule. The hooks are in deep!

empath
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    I get that the interview was meant to create a "hostile" type of scenario but it wasn't exactly a level playing field from what I saw. For some people the interviews seemed rough while for others they seemed fairly standard (Monica Vs. Maki for example). Furthermore, the interviewer herself seemed to prey on those who showed any degree of weakness or discomfort in the interview.

Honestly, if I were in an interview like that I would think the only proper thing to do would be to shut the interview down. Why do you want to know about my virginity or things that are FAR too personal to go to print? I would shut that shit down right away and likely complain to the publication due to how completely unprofessional it was. Oh you want me to tell a joke? Is that what we're here to do? I'd prefer to talk about my webcomic, the competition, or my process as an artist? Can we focus on what's likely going to resonate with our audience or would you prefer to act like an antagonistic crazy person I've run into in an alley?

I'm sure if anybody did that however the feedback would've been, "This person was overly antagonistic". When really, I think that's the only appropriate response to the scenario.

steam_sig.png
    empath
  • DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    I think people who are accusing AJ of asking wholly inappropriate questions or of treating some candidates harsher than others really aren't giving her enough credit.

You can see, and she makes reference to, the fact that they all filled out questionnaires beforehand which she is consulting. Perhaps consider that she is a skilled enough journalist to have figured out exactly what would be a "Really pushy and hard question, but one where they might still answer it" and keyed the level of questions to the person.

From what I can tell from the limited exposure we've had to each contestant, if she'd opened her interview with Mac with "When did you lose your virginity" I imagine he'd have just turned around and walked back out of the room, whereas Erika wouldn't have found singing a song to be the least bit uncomfortable.

She needed to quickly find the line for each person, and then take one step over it, and that actually takes quite a lot of skill and experience.

empath
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    I think Katie is getting singled out because of that awesome T-shirt design she put out. It basically said "I'm a freaking great cartoonist and a major threat" and everyone is gunning for her.

empath
  • GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    I hope if Katie comes out of this elimination she starts playing hard core. I mean throwing people under the bus at every opportunity. No one else is holding back on her, she needs to start slinging some mud and getting cut throat.

• SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    How does one exactly sling mud in this competition unless it's through secret alliances during the social periods between events (that we don't really get to see) or by messing with people psychologically during the events. One can reasonable assume that she and everyone else is already putting 110% behind every task. If anyone wants to play dirty outside of outright sabotage; he or she would have to win the competitive round, promise not to put someone up for elimination, and then do it anyway.
    Unlike other reality shows, this one does not have the individuals working in teams (at least not yet). That's not a mechanic I particularly care for in the mainstream reality competition shows where there's ultimately one winner. It does create an interesting dynamic that allows for plenty of backstabbing and bravado, though.

• WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    @Satanismymotor

The correct response if it was a real interview would be to shut it down, absolutely. But in this case, the interview is part of a competition. You're being judged on how well you handle that situation and how you do in the interview as a whole. The challenge was designed to see how you would react in an uncomfortable or distressing circumstance because, as Mike said earlier in this very comments section, sometimes that sort of thing happens. If your boss came into your office and said "surprise project, do this in an hour, and if someone else's is better you're fired," that would be grounds for a lawsuit. The rules of competition are different than the rules of a "real" scenario.

Also, to everyone saying this challenge is unfair to introverted or shy people, of fucking course it is. Every single challenge is biased against the people who are worse at the thing they're doing. That's the point of a competition. The elimination round last week was unfair to Alex because Katie is just a better artist with more experience and better ability to work under pressure. The duck quiz was unfair to the people with worse memories. The point of a competition is to separate the best candidates from the others, IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE UNFAIR.

empath
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    So the proper response in a challenge that is supposed to emulate a possible "real" scenario is, in fact, not the proper response?

Don't you see the catch 22 of what you're saying?

steam_sig.png
    empathHappyax
  • SorostSorost Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    How soon (hours) till next episode? Need my fix

empath
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    I'm saying they don't have that choice. They can't just say "No, I'm not doing this" because they are part of a show where yes, you do have to do this. If you reject an interview, the reporter is going to write a big nasty article about how you were afraid to talk about whatever. And you just have to live with that, or give the best answers you can. That possibility doesn't exist here, though, so what's going to happen is the judges are going to say "Well you failed the challenge." And you will be up for elimination. So the "correct" response, in this case, is not the best response.

empath
  • joygirl007joygirl007 Registered User new member
    @Devonin has it right. I read most of the submission materials each contestant submitted -- I Google-stalked them and read their comics. I knew a lot about them before going into the interview and chose questions accordingly (only Erika was asked about sex; only Monica was asked about jealousy; only Tavis was asked about giving up art for his kids, etc.). And, naturally, there is a lot of interview that isn't shown -- this is reality TV and the boring stuff ends up cut. Most of these "brutal" questions were coming midway or at the tail end of the interview, after the contestants had already answered standard questions about the competition, their art and background, etc. By that point, some of them were comfortable enough to say more than they needed to -- and some of them were caught completely off-guard.

maskdmiragThe_Glad_Hatterempath
  • SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    Nobody had to necessarily go through with the full interview. One must wonder what would have happened if a contestants just said, "Thank you, but I'm no longer comfortable with this interview." and then left the room. Monica was lauded for refusing to answer the question. If the interview was a relentlessly antagonizing, then maybe there would be a cause to try and take control and, barring that, just cut the interview.

It is a competition/game, but this process in itself is a bit of an interview and I'd expect them to act as they would if they weren't on Strip Search. When my workplace does usability testing on our user interfaces we tell them to act as if they were at home, but it's still an artificial environment and we see people have unrealistic patience because they want to appease the people behind the glass. Sometimes you'll see people search for a button/feature for far longer than they would if they were at home because they know we're watching. The funny thing is that they're getting their thank you gift card either way and it would actually be easier (and more beneficial for us) for them to be honest and just say, "This is awful. I give up."

• HardmanHardman Registered User regular
    Interesting episode. Kind of bummed that Katie was picked again - felt like that artist could have used a break from the stress of the "pack up your stuff and go justify yourself in final combat" again. From what was shown (I'm sure there was a lot more that we didn't see in the video) of the feedback, she didn't seem like one of the ones who had the most negative feedback from the interview challenge.

I guess it will be a good demonstration of how she holds up under a lot of pressure. Look forward to watching the next elimination.

maskdmirag
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Spiritfire wrote: »
    Nobody had to necessarily go through with the full interview. One must wonder what would have happened if a contestants just said, "Thank you, but I'm no longer comfortable with this interview." and then left the room. Monica was lauded for refusing to answer the question. If the interview was a relentlessly antagonizing, then maybe there would be a cause to try and take control and, barring that, just cut the interview.

It is a competition/game, but this process in itself is a bit of an interview and I'd expect them to act as they would if they weren't on Strip Search. When my workplace does usability testing on our user interfaces we tell them to act as if they were at home, but it's still an artificial environment and we see people have unrealistic patience because they want to appease the people behind the glass. Sometimes you'll see people search for a button/feature for far longer than they would if they were at home because they know we're watching. The funny thing is that they're getting their thank you gift card either way and it would actually be easier (and more beneficial for us) for them to be honest and just say, "This is awful. I give up."

Exactly - part of your job as a journalist is to get people to tell you things they wouldn't think to tell people on their own (if it was just things the subject would say on their own, then why does the journalist need to be there? The person could just say that stuff on their blog). You do that by pushing them one way or another with your questions. Journalism rewards interviewers who are able to push their subjects the farthest/deepest without the subject pulling the plug on the interview/question - interviewing as a skill is a lot more complicated than just asking a list of questions. Heck, some of them get results by just endlessly badgering people until they get something to print (see Tina Fey telling some to go fuck themselves). AJ wouldn't do them any favors by softballing it - like everywhere else, there are plenty of assholes out there, and figuring out how to deal with them is part of being publicly creative.

empath
  • metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    I have to say first off that I would never give an interview to the reporter, I thought she was a little unbalanced on her questions (possibly editing I know), but more importantly I thought she was just more than a little rude. I get that was part of the point and that reporters need to get information not make friends, but if they ever want to get a second interview not just try to score points.

However, while I am enjoying the show, I am really disappointed that the bottom two seem to have nothing to do with their merits and I find myself disliking the "winners" more than anyone else. I think the idea of having the "winner" pick the loser is interesting, but I think it will end up being the thread that pulls the show apart. I hope not because I like a lot of the rest of this, but especially with poor Katie being ganged up on so far I am nervous about this going forward.

empathHappyax
  • MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    Thank goodness the reporter didn't ask Erika about "spit roasting". Though honestly if you don't want TMI on Erika's views on sex, don't ask. It is a subject featured in her comics work it is something she enjoys and likes to talk about.

Good episode especially in terms of character development. The audience got to know the contestants and people are becoming more vocal about who they are rooting for. If only there had been character development like this in the first episode rather than a bunch of footage of doors being knocked on and people walking in hallways. Let the audience get to know the contestants. They'll do the rest on their own.

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    How do the bottom two have nothing to do with their merits? That might be accurate if Nick had chosen Maki or someone else who was a strong interviewee, but the ones Nick chose were two of the contestants that received poor comments from the interviewer.

CambiataTofystedeth
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    And this isn't actually the first interact-with-someone-difficult challenge I've seen on a reality show. I remember one from Who Wants To Be A Superhero that worked along the same lines, just with the roles reversed: the premise of the challenge was that some crime or other had been committed, and the contestants had one minute each to extract as much information as they could from a 'witness'. The witness was supremely unhelpful, only giving up information after large amounts of prodding, and would constantly divert contestants down other distracting trains of thought, such as their costumes or secret identities (I believe the person eliminated that episode was ousted for actually telling him her identity). It was pretty much up to him how much actual information he chose to give each contestant, but the more the contestants stayed focused, the more he'd give up.

So it's not an unprecedented concept.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    empath
  • metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »
    How do the bottom two have nothing to do with their merits? That might be accurate if Nick had chosen Maki or someone else who was a strong interviewee, but the ones Nick chose were two of the contestants that received poor comments from the interviewer.

It had nothing to do with their merits because the contestants didn't see the interviews at all only the feedback from the reporter and they could easily choose anyone for any reason from the contest. Plus there is the fact that in the first episode Katie was picked as the best design by one of the three judges but ended up getting picked by the winner.

metfansc on
    metfansc wrote: »

It had nothing to do with their merits because the contestants didn't see the interviews at all only the feedback from the reporter and they could easily choose anyone for any reason from the contest.

How on earth do you know that? For all we know, he got to watch footage of the entirety of everyone's interviews. Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

empathHappyax

It had nothing to do with their merits because the contestants didn't see the interviews at all only the feedback from the reporter and they could easily choose anyone for any reason from the contest.

The reporter is the expert, as well as the freaking judge of the challenge. She's the only one that saw the entirety of every single interview - who better to make the judgment of merit? You, the person who watched a few edited minutes of each one? If you aren't going to trust the judges' assessments as a measure of merit, you might as well give up now, every decision is going to piss you off.

Being able to choose anyone for any reason is part of the contest, making winning a challenge a double-edged sword. And just to reiterate, your accusation that the bottom two were chosen on something other than merit remains bullshit - the contestants Nick selected were two of the contestants that the judge ranked lowest. Obviously Nick or Amy could have picked the stronger performers if they wanted, but so far that clearly hasn't happened.

CambiataempathHappyax
  • MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    A good idea for a challenge, though it was really a pretty softball interview. I've asked much harder questions working as a journalist, every day. Interviewees have to learn that none of the questions are (usually) personal attacks- interiewers will ask everything they can, and if you open up an interesting vein ("which virginity?") they will mine it in depth.

empath
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    So apparently at the PAX Strip Search panel this weekend there are going to be spoilers. Just: WHY WHY WHY, WTF????

Can someone involved in that weigh in on whether or not those of us who want to enjoy the show should just swear off reading all comments or discussions of the show from now on? Are these going to be real spoilers? I'm really bummed because talking about the episodes is one of my favorite parts of watching this show, but I DO NOT want to accidentally read spoilers.

tbugFyndir
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Nah, don't worry. it won't be THOSE kind of spoilers. :)

Some guy.
    Deimirempath
  • DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    Graham gets better with every episode, but that's still the worst 'prize' ever.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
    empath
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

The reporter is the expert, as well as the freaking judge of the challenge. She's the only one that saw the entirety of every single interview - who better to make the judgment of merit? You, the person who watched a few edited minutes of each one? If you aren't going to trust the judges' assessments as a measure of merit, you might as well give up now, every decision is going to piss you off.

Being able to choose anyone for any reason is part of the contest, making winning a challenge a double-edged sword. And just to reiterate, your accusation that the bottom two were chosen on something other than merit remains bullshit - the contestants Nick selected were two of the contestants that the judge ranked lowest. Obviously Nick or Amy could have picked the stronger performers if they wanted, but so far that clearly hasn't happened.

KalTorak, KalTorak, you just don't understand.

Anyone who would put Katie in for elimination is just massively intimidated by her inhuman art skill, and that is the only possible reason that anyone could ever do that. She's basically the Cthulu of the art world.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
    Glad to see nobody is being overly biased <_<

Nijhazer
    Cambiata wrote: »

Anyone who would put Katie in for elimination is just massively intimidated by her inhuman art skill, and that is the only possible reason that anyone could ever do that. She's basically the Cthulu of the art world.

Is Katie on the forum? Someone tell her to use "'She's basically the Cthulu of the art world.' - Cambiata" as a promo quote.

Cambiata
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Is Katie on the forum? Someone tell her to use "'She's basically the Cthulu of the art world.' - Cambiata" as a promo quote.

Well I'm not bad at giving artists promotional material, if I do say so myself. Why Drew Struzan hasn't posted this quote on his website I'll never know.

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I've generally felt positive about all of the contestants, and have wished them all well. That was until this interview with Ty was posted a few days ago on the site: http://penny-arcade.com/strip-search/news-post/meet-the-artists-ty
    Housemate? More like housemseven!

Katie, kill him.

HeyThereEliza
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Deimir wrote: »
    Graham gets better with every episode, but that's still the worst 'prize' ever.

Again, it's an immunity challenge. Immunity challenges are traditionally nonexistent aside from the immunity itself, and perhaps other gameplay-related prizes (the Redraw Ticket would qualify should it pop up again there), unless otherwise announced (for instance, if the show pre-announces a combined reward/immunity challenge.) Strip Search is doing nothing out of the ordinary here.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    Cambiata: That would have been a great quote, except that I think the thing he was outlining was the knife. Katie, on the other hand, really should put that up somewhere.

parmeisan wrote: »
    Cambiata: That would have been a great quote, except that I think the thing he was outlining was the knife. Katie, on the other hand, really should put that up somewhere.

Shhh shh shhh, don't ruin it. When I first saw that picture it looked like a dick outline, and that is my head canon now.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I feel like I need to rewatch the episode or something, I'm positive there were other publications mentioned but you guys all seem to be behaving as though AJ only ever worked for Kotaku, like she signed a lifetime contract shortly after learning how to write or something.

Build 1000 bridges, write one article for Kotaku

But do they call me AJ the bridge builder?

steam_sig.png
  • spaniospanio Cartoonist Kentucky, USARegistered User regular
    What does Batman's mother say when she calls him for dinner? Nothing. She's dead.

ojjuJ.gif gLmBL.gif
    rainbowhyphen
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I've never been asked "tell me a joke" in an interview, but I get the feeling if you work in comedy or anything where you're "supposed to be funny" you're going to get asked "tell me a joke" - I'd recommend just having one up your sleeve for situations like this. I normally have a "favourite joke" at any time which I keep around in case people are telling jokes.

Right now it's:
    Q. "Why doesn't the Pope worry about using his credit card online?"
    A. "He has Paypal infallibility!"

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • glorpglorp Registered User regular
    Annnd obviously the winner is going to pick Katie as one of the people for elimination. It is only logical, why make 2 new people completely annoyed at you, where if you pick Katie she is only 50% annoyed at you since she was already picked before. If she keeps coming back she is going to keep getting chosen for elimination.

glorp wrote: »
    Annnd obviously the winner is going to pick Katie as one of the people for elimination. It is only logical, why make 2 new people completely annoyed at you, where if you pick Katie she is only 50% annoyed at you since she was already picked before. If she keeps coming back she is going to keep getting chosen for elimination.

No no, don't you see you fool. She's defeated two bosses in a row now, sending her against a third will only make her stronger.

• rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    > Butt virginity
    This is the best episode.

raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png