Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Pressing Buttons

123457»

• parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    glorp wrote: »
    Annnd obviously the winner is going to pick Katie as one of the people for elimination. It is only logical, why make 2 new people completely annoyed at you, where if you pick Katie she is only 50% annoyed at you since she was already picked before. If she keeps coming back she is going to keep getting chosen for elimination.

I disagree. Well, Katie seems like someone who doesn't get annoyed. But if I were picked twice, I would be much madder at the second person for not giving me a night to relax a bit and enjoy still being there. In fact, if I were one of the random people not picked and not picking, I'd probably be thinking the same thing. Hasn't she earned a brief respite? But it probably feels different when you're there, and I do know that she was one of those noted by the interviewer. Still, I don't think the choice is anything like automatic. Maybe on the third one, where if Katie comes back she can only take revenge on 2 people...

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Well one of the things I am really enjoying about this show, is that people are picking eliminations based on performance at the challenges. So difficult as it was to put Katie there again, he didn't want to put someone who had in some way excelled (like Monica, the only person to refuse to answer a question), and he doesn't want to just randomly pick someone who was middle of the road.

Ultimately Katie survived both eliminations, though, and through experience at the elimination round has learned how to better survive it if she goes again. Still I'm certain she's hoping she doesn't get sent there again. But from what we've seen of her personality, I don't even think she blames anyone for putting her there; people had valid reasons for doing so and there was nothing malicous behind thier intent, so being a good person herself she's going to give them a pass.

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been touched upon, but there was a real issue I had with the format of the contest involved here. The journalist should NOT be the one picking the winner. In any real life interview situation, the interviewer is not the relevant party in the publicity equation. It's the audience.

When you real or watch an interview, you generally find yourself evaluating both the interviewer and the interviewee. For example, how many people were put off or confused by the interviewer's behavior in this episode? It was intentionally random and semi-antagonistic.

What they SHOULD have done was selected a small focus group and had them watch the interviews, then rate their interest or opinion of each person on a scale of 1-5. Tally the scores and you have a winner. Suggesting to the artists they need to impress the interviewer is kind of bad advice. Suggesting they need to impress an audience is significantly better advice.

• DevoninDevonin Registered User regular
    The challenge wasn't to give information that resulted in a published article that readers would like. It was to see how they handled tough questions outside their comfort zone.

The lesson was not how to answer in a way that viewers would like (since it was an interview for a text article) nor was the lesson on how to answer questions to impress the interviewer. The lesson was on how to handle absurd crap being thrown at you, where one slip up could lead to you being directly quoted in a way that is damaging to your image and reputation.

FyndirKalTorak
    Devonin wrote: »
    The challenge wasn't to give information that resulted in a published article that readers would like. It was to see how they handled tough questions outside their comfort zone.

The lesson was not how to answer in a way that viewers would like (since it was an interview for a text article) nor was the lesson on how to answer questions to impress the interviewer. The lesson was on how to handle absurd crap being thrown at you, where one slip up could lead to you being directly quoted in a way that is damaging to your image and reputation.

That wasn't the impression I got based on the feedback they received, though. Katie, for instance, was referred to as "forgettable." She wasn't judged by her grace under pressure, she was judged based on her appeal.

If she didn't leave the reporter with a memorable impression, she will be characterized in the article about the contest as "Forgettable" which I'd say would count as damaging to her image and repuation.

If she didn't leave the reporter with a memorable impression, she will be characterized in the article about the contest as "Forgettable" which I'd say would count as damaging to her image and repuation.

With some exceptions, most straight interview pieces don't involve injections the interviewer's opinion like that, particularly if it's a video piece. Good journalism tends to leave drawing those conclusions to the audience.

Not sure how you write an interesting article on a reality TV show without commenting on the personalities of the contestants.

edited March 2013
    Not sure how you write an interesting article on a reality TV show without commenting on the personalities of the contestants.

I think we're getting away from the initial argument. I still think it's more beneficial to teach people to be appealing to an audience when viewed through the public lens than to be appealing to an intentionally antagonistic interviewer.

If the challenge were about keeping your cool under media fire, then I don't agree with the metrics the journalist used to declare winners and losers. Katie WAS cool under fire.

EDIT: Also, if the goal was to avoid damaging, potentially embarrassing slip ups, then why wasn't Erika held more accountable? They commented on her openness being an issue, but she wasn't considered one of the bottom three despite the fact that she started wading very far into traditionally TMI territory.

Heartlash on
    Because that information was neither damaging nor embarrassing to Erika, given how she portrays herself.

Because that information was neither damaging nor embarrassing to Erika, given how she portrays herself.

How so? I'm sure it would alienate her from a lot of people...

Have you seen any of her work, or read her blog etc? Anybody who would be alienated from her because she is open about sexuality almost certainly wouldn't be a fan of hers to begin with :P

I direct you to possibly NSFW comic directly on the front page of her website: http://www.erikamoen.com/comics-portfolio/queer/

MontyRohde
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tavismaiden has been kidnapped by Gosling and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

When you flip tables, he turns them back over
    He doesn't put up with shit, though he's your favorite uncle.
    I told him that milk puts hair on your chest, I didn't expect him to chug a cow's udder.
    Which forumer am I?

• BugsinspaceBugsinspace Registered User regular
    When she was asked what she was doing in the comp I totally thought Erika was gonna say "Well now I can't stop thinking about sex!"

• choochoochoochoo Registered User new member
    huge fan of erika's indirect but biting critique of heteronormative conceptions of sex and the extremely problematic idea of "virginity." awesome.

123457»