As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a new mouse

MKRMKR Registered User regular
I got my first optical mouse some time in the early '00s for $19.99 at Walmart. It lasted around ten years before failing. I've used a string of salvaged OEM mice since then, and I'm at a point where it won't do anymore.

I found a lot that looked promising, until I found that one review that pointed out how bad the scroll wheel and middle click are. Scrolling and middle clicking are important functions.

Anyone have a recommendation around $20?

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'd recommend an Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. I've always had really good luck with MS hardware, their stuff is very good. Just like Apple software... I think these companies are in the wrong market?

In any case, here's a direct link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105573
    Here's the product page: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/basic-optical-mouse/P58-00061

If you're willing to spend a bit more and/or need wireless I'd suggest a MS Arc mouse. I've heard that the older model had a weak scroll wheel (I haven't seen this), but the new version is fixed. NOTE: Don't pay MSRP for an Arc mouse, they are frequently on sale at Amazon for 33% or more off.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    I second Great Scott. I use the MS Basic Optical Mouse for work, and it's bullet proof. This thing's worked flawlessly for like 3 or 4 years. I do a lot of drawings in Visio and use my scroll wheel a ton too and love the way it feels. Very good mouse.

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    You will never regret owning an MX series mouse from logitech, they are the bee's knees, and worth the extra $5-20 depending on if you can get them on sale.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I happen to like Logitech accessories, good price, don't usually break and I had no problem getting them to replace a keyboard that I lost the k key too.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I happen to like Logitech accessories, good price, don't usually break and I had no problem getting them to replace a keyboard that I lost the k key too.

They have good customer service. I got a whole new headset because the charger on mine broke.

• Options
    I think I'll go with the MS Basic. Thanks for the help.

• Options
    One minor thing though: a lot of the reviews on Amazon say newer editions are jumpy and glitchy. I'm not sure what to make of that. :?

• Options
    They are probably jumpy and glitchy and entirely dependent on a really nice mouse pad ($20-40) to perform adequately.

Like I said, the MX series mouse fits into your budget, and has great quality (I use it at work and at home for gaming).

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    Yup, just bought one myself. Very pleased.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll throw in the recommendation for Logitech. I have a G500. I had it a little over 2 years when the left button started double-clicking. Checked the website, saw they have a 3 year warranty. Submitted a ticket, got a response a couple of days later asking for some info. Sent it and they shipped out a new one the next day. Didn't even have to send the old one back.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Looks like the G400 is the way to go. I can think of a lot of situations (gaming and otherwise) where more precision and more buttons would be handy.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    A cheap mouse relies on a good mouse pad to not be jumpy and glitchy - a good mouse is more forgiving.

EDIT: such has been my experience, anyway.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Just to echo everyone else:

I have a G400. I love it. It was my first not-a-$10-Logitech optical mouse. I don't notice any jumpiness or anything, using them on free mousepads.

• Options
    I don't even use a mousepad!

I like how my advice from 2 years ago was also using the MX logitech mice (The G400 is basically the poor man's version of it).

• Options
    My old optical that lasted ten years was a $20 Logitech, so it may even be from the same line. The labels and logos wore off over the years.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Just replaced my terrible R.A.T. 7 by a logitech G400. So happy not to be fighting with my mouse everytine I lift it off the mat more then 1mm or decide to move my arm to fast.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't even use a mousepad!

Best "mousepad" I've ever used is a 12 inch piece of polished black marble tile. Perfect glide, extremely durable, and cost 50 cents on clearance at a home improvement store.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf