As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New furnace: single stage or two?

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
We are possibly replacing our furnace and air conditioner. We have had several quotes, but each person has a differing opinion on which type is better.

Some say the two stage is better because you maintain the heat in your home with less, so the furnace only needs to kick into full BTU when it's super cold.

Others say the two-stage is a waste because it just gradually heats your home instead of heating it quickly, and most of the operating cost is in the motor anyway, not the burners.

I can see both points. For an extra $200 bucks, is the two-stage a good idea? Efficiency rating is 95.5 vs 96. Rebates remain the same. Models we are considering are York. We are just outside the Toronto area in Ontario, so winters are often pretty cold and last a while. Still in the minuses on the first day of spring this year.

Possibly worth mentioning the guy who recommended to two stage wanted 400+ more for that option, exact same model as the guy who wanted 200. Both reputable companies though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Two stage is going to give you two immediate benefits:

Lower heating bills
    Quieter operation

Generally a single stage furnace waits for the air temperature to get colder before it kicks on. So your range for 70 might be between 65 and 73. Two stage can run at lower energy and heats as needed with low or high depending on the air temperature. The range in this case is going to be 68-72 for 70 degrees.

It depends on your preferences. It'll probably end up with a few hundred dollars in savings over the course of the year with a two stage. Those prices look to be about right.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    We are possibly replacing our furnace and air conditioner. We have had several quotes, but each person has a differing opinion on which type is better.

Some say the two stage is better because you maintain the heat in your home with less, so the furnace only needs to kick into full BTU when it's super cold.

Others say the two-stage is a waste because it just gradually heats your home instead of heating it quickly, and most of the operating cost is in the motor anyway, not the burners.

I can see both points. For an extra $200 bucks, is the two-stage a good idea? Efficiency rating is 95.5 vs 96. Rebates remain the same. Models we are considering are York. We are just outside the Toronto area in Ontario, so winters are often pretty cold and last a while. Still in the minuses on the first day of spring this year.

Possibly worth mentioning the guy who recommended to two stage wanted 400+ more for that option, exact same model as the guy who wanted 200. Both reputable companies though.

If you're looking at a difference of $200-400, definitely go with the two stage.

A two stage will keep your house heated more evenly with less fluctuations - and you can usually keep your heat a little bit lower. When a single stage is off, your house will gradually get cold until the thermostat (on an interior wall) ticks down and kicks your furnace on. You're going to notice that it's getting colder, and keep the heat up higher.

Since a two stage is warming continually, and only kicking on when it's very cold, you'll be more comfortable. I'm not going to give an absolute number, but you'll probably make up the difference in a few years. It's also a selling feature if / when it's time to sell your home, and it results in less wear and tear (less duty cycles) than a single stage.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There's also modulated furnaces that only vary the temperature by 1 degree or so. Even more savings on energy costs.

Something to consider even though they didn't give you quotes for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I did get quotes for modular, but the price difference is huge. Not something I'm interested.

Thanks for the input, guys. Probably going with the two-stage.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment