As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] {Strat. Discussion} Sweep the Leg! Do you have a problem with that?

14567810»

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Though to be honest, it's pretty stupid that the Raven side torsos project so enormously forward and the Jenner side torsos are just little nubs between the arms and the CT. Don't see why PGI has such a hard time building appropriate hitboxes for stuff.

I think it's a good thing that mechs have different hit box characteristics, as long as they get balanced appropriately. Massive side torsos on a Raven should mean running an XL should almost always end in disaster (it's unfortunate that this is almost never the case). Tiny nub side torsos on a Jenner means you should be able to strip some armor off the side torsos without too many repercussions if you need to free up more weight and dropping an XL in a Jenner shouldn't be as big of an issue.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So folks keep talking about working in 2-3 lances(with the 12 man upcoming matches) Is there a voice software that will work with different channels? To properly coordinate 2-3 seperaste lances we'll need those lances to be on their own coms and at the same time need them to be able to instantly communicate with the other lances. This would require a PTT key for your channel and the group channel.

Cabezone on
    Kashaar
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So folks keep talking about working in 2-3 lances(with the 12 man upcoming matches) Is there a voice software that will work with different channels? To properly coordinate 2-3 seperaste lances we'll need those lances to be on their own coms and at the same time need them to be able to instantly communicate with the other lances. This would require a PTT key for your channel and the group channel.

Yes... Teamspeak3 and Ventrilo can both do that. I think it might be easier to set up in Teamspeak, but I haven't tried it in either of them yet.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    too bad acre only works with arma :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I've been thinking about running this: Minireaper [JM6-A]: 3xSRM6, 2xMLAS, Gauss, SRM4, 300XL, DHS, Endo
    Any thoughts?

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    JM6-A is such a good chassis for hardpoint breadth. No Catapult can match it.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    It is! Yet I still don't think it's better than the trusty old K2 ;) But I already have the chassis, just wondering what people think about the loadout. I haven't tried it yet since I don't want to downgrade from Artemis, which I currently have on my JM6-A, unless it's really necessary...

I'd say Artemis IV is necessary, especially when you're stacking SRM launchers like that. Try dropping the gauss for an AC-10 and you'll have enough weight for plenty of ammo. I ended up at 64/65 tons, so I put in an extra DHS but you may want to increase the armor with that ton.

Minireaper v2 [JM6-A]: 3xSRM6, 2xMLAS, AC/10, 300XL, DHS, Artemis, Endo

Alternative: UAC5 if you like them.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

I found the UAC5 to be absolutely terrible on any mini-Reaper build. UAC5s are all about sustained fire, which makes them have real problems if you have only one of them and try to use them with other weapon types. The projectile travel speed doesn't mesh nicely with anything but other AC weapons, so you end up with either the UAC hitting a moving target properly or everything else hitting properly; trying to do both leaves you with one type of weapon missing or hitting panels you don't want to waste damage on.

Things like gauss and AC20 are great weapons for a Reaper-type build because you can focus on using other stuff, then pop those off when they reload and still be certain you're on-target. UAC5 relies on constant fire, so you're a lot better off taking more than one or none at all. Doesn't do much good to scatter all of your damage around trying to keep a single UAC5 on-target instead of using a heavier weapon to drop a chunk of damage on a single panel and follow it up with lasers and missiles.

CarbonFireVedicIntent
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I'd say Artemis IV is necessary, especially when you're stacking SRM launchers like that. Try dropping the gauss for an AC-10 and you'll have enough weight for plenty of ammo. I ended up at 64/65 tons, so I put in an extra DHS but you may want to increase the armor with that ton.

Minireaper v2 [JM6-A]: 3xSRM6, 2xMLAS, AC/10, 300XL, DHS, Artemis, Endo

I put on 4 SRM4's with a gauss, 2 ML and a bit more ammo with a standard engine and it runs pretty damn well.

253J736.png
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

I found the UAC5 to be absolutely terrible on any mini-Reaper build. UAC5s are all about sustained fire, which makes them have real problems if you have only one of them and try to use them with other weapon types. The projectile travel speed doesn't mesh nicely with anything but other AC weapons, so you end up with either the UAC hitting a moving target properly or everything else hitting properly; trying to do both leaves you with one type of weapon missing or hitting panels you don't want to waste damage on.

Things like gauss and AC20 are great weapons for a Reaper-type build because you can focus on using other stuff, then pop those off when they reload and still be certain you're on-target. UAC5 relies on constant fire, so you're a lot better off taking more than one or none at all. Doesn't do much good to scatter all of your damage around trying to keep a single UAC5 on-target instead of using a heavier weapon to drop a chunk of damage on a single panel and follow it up with lasers and missiles.

Assuming I have the hardpoint, a PPC and some heatsinks have almost always served me better than a single UAC/5. I dunno what it is, but a 10 damage alpha is kind of the sweet spot when I'm putting together the "focal point" weapons on a build. 2+ MLAS, a LLAS, dual UAC/5s, etc. are good foundations...anything less can't really stand alone and feel effective.

VT09mOz.png
    Now that we've had a good 24 (ish) hours to play with the new Highlanders, what are your favorite builds for it so far? I'll start:

Reaver [HGN-733]: 4xSRM6, 2xMLAS, Gauss, 325XL, DHS, Artemis

Runs a bit warm if you constantly alpha stuff, but that's what it's designed to do (I removed some leg armor to add an extra DHS since nobody targets assault legs). Will take down most anything in just a few hits. Like its buddy, the Reaper, map the gauss and SRMs to a single fire group and shoot them together. Slight caveat though: the ballistic HSR has pretty much removed the delay from the gauss, so it doens't hit at exactly the same time as the SRMs so you can't as easily shoot at something that is moving laterally to your broadside.

• XandarXandar Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    My new headset/mic setup has arrived tested with Bluemaps seems dreamy

Xandar on
    OsokC8u.png
    KusmerogluVedicIntent
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm having fun with:

Arnold [HGN-733C]: 2xSRM6, 2xLPLS, AC/20, 300XL, DHS, Artemis

Great punch with the autocannon and the pulses. Then you can follow up with a barrage of SRMs to get them down. Heat is surprisingly good, provided you aren't firing all of the missiles all the time. You can just pulse for quite a while on their own with an AC/20 shot included as it reloads.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited April 2013
    @Aegis, any updates on your 733C build? I'm trying to find something that works well for me. I tried PPCs, AC20 and SSRMs but everything fired at different ranges and so I had to burn extra brain cycles figuring out which weapon to fire. I tried running a build with 2xLLAS, 2xUAC5 and SSRMS which was a little bit better but still not optimal.

Right now I'm using this:
    [HGN-733C]: 3xSRM6, 2xMLAS, AC/20, 325XL, DHS, Artemis
    which is a pretty standard brawler build and did okay in the few rounds I ran last night; however, it is really similar to my 733 build (733: swap the AC20 for a Gauss and add an extra SRM 6), so I want to try for something a little different. Does anyone have a decent medium/long range fire support? The following is a silly build and probably not at all effective, nor have I ever used it. Just (badly) theorycrafting

733C Lermaholic [HGN-733C]: SRM6, 2xLRM10, ERPPC, TAG, 325XL, DHS, Artemis

m!ttens on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @m!ttens , nope, still sporting the same setup as it's been working rather fine. Haven't played it as much lately given that I've been trying to elite my Hunchback, but I'm not entirely sure what I would change with it if I bothered to tweak it. I like lasers far more than PPCs from a gameplay/aesthetic standpoint to try switching to those. If I did have to change something it would either be:

Drop the Pulses to regular LLs in order to try and fit a 3rd SRM6 on there. This isn't too appealing given the affinity for a mech that can finally mount pewpewpew lasers; or,

Drop the SRMs in favour of LRMs. Assuming for the moment that we live in magical fantasy land where LRMs aren't currently terrible, I'm somewhat fond of this idea. My current setup has no problems whatsoever in the short-to-medium engagement range, which is fitting as it's built to brawl. But get to long range engagement and I need to start ducking between and around cover in order to find a flank, without doing all that much in terms of firing back. I don't find this as a problem per se, but the idea of being able to dance between cover to close distance while shooting people out on the ridge trying to snipe me with missiles is kind of nice. On top of that, I wouldn't be sacrificing that much close range firepower given that I find an alpha of AC/20 + 2x LPLs tends to wreck things fast enough as it is.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Hmmmmmmm... Should I really? [CPLT-K2]: 4xMLAS, 2xGauss, 250XL, DHS, Endo

On the one hand, I don't want to run cheese builds. On the other... it does look quite delicious. Yes, I know, I'm 6 months late. But still! After over 350k XP with my K2, this would be my first time running it as a Gausscat. Am I allowed?

If you want to be more brawly and less snipey and have some speed behind you, dual AC10 with quad MLs and an XL300 fits fine on a CPLT-K2.

ew9y0DD.png
    3cl1ps3
    edited April 2013
    Since there was a bit of discussion re: PPCs on the main thread, I thought I'd try to do a comparison between them.

Comparing 3 LLAS with 2PPC is pretty interesting. I would say a "sensible" loadout would consist of 3 LLAS or 2 PPC (we'll ignore boating, which seems to be an issue regardless of what weapon you're overloading). I also picked them because the crit slots match, and the weight and heat generated are pretty close. When comparing the two:
    		3 LLAS	2 PPC
    Weight		15	14
    Crit		6	6
    Heat		21	16
    Dam		27	20
    Op.Rng (m)	450	540
    Fire+CD (s)	4.25	3

Granted, you need an extra hardpoint for the third LLAS but hardpoints are usually not the issue if we're examining heavy energy boating as an issue.

caIpuZO.png
    OpfUy2E.png

The damage over time is fairly close, with the 3 LLAS outputting more damage, but the damage from the PPCs are frontloaded, and you don't have to keep your reticle painted on a single panel for 1 full second while the laser DoT is applied.
    LLAS Pros			PPC Pros
    Higher dam/heat ratio (barely)	All damage applied to single target (this gets 
    				better the more you alpha)
    Less chance to miss entirely	Better range
    				Faster cooldown
    				Easier to "snap shot" then twist away
    				disrupts ECM

TL;DR: PPCs are better than LLAS in nearly every metric. Bumping them to 10 or 11 heat (and ERPPCs a point or two higher than they are currently) would help to balance all the benefits PPCs provide over LLAS.

EDIT: had too much heat (10/PPC instead of 8/PPC). Updated everything to correct values

m!ttens on
    Gnome-InterruptusKusmerogluGethElvenshaeKashaarApogee