As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STEAM | GO FIND THE NEW THREAD

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The happiness contest has closed! Congrats to @cooljammer00 on winning Miasmata with the scattershot approach. My favorite combination of the links he sent was this music:

While I stared at this photo:

Thanks to everybody that entered! I'm probably pushing through either Spec-Ops or To The Moon next, so expect more depression themed giveaways!

OneAngryPossum on
    GethElvenshae
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    As some of you may know, I happen to be a pretty big fan of this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fLKsKVUZsWc

I think it's one of the greatest games ever made and a totally unique and compelling RTS, with elements of 4X and Tower Defense sprinkled liberally about. The game's procedurally generated campaigns are always packed full of surprises and fascinating tactical and strategic problems. It contains the most dastardly AI in all of gaming. It is not omniscient, but it also doesn't play by the same rules as the humans. It takes all data from its observations, mines it and then looks at its assets and determines counters from it's available pool of units. I've seen it divide forces to exploit vulnerabilities and use unit synergies in astounding ways. One day archaeologists from a distant star will analyze the AI that destroyed mankind, and I wouldn't be surprised if they found Chris Park and Keith Lamothe's signatures in the comments of the source code.

If you watched the above trailer, you have a basic idea of the story, but one thing remains a mystery in the AI War universe. The two AI that fought mankinds vast and eternal war between two long forgotten factions decided between themselves to cease fire and turned their attention onto humanity, nearly driving us into extinction. But why? Why did they do this? What is the reasoning behind abandoning their purpose? Whoever provides the most entertaining answer to the question of why these AI violated their program and annihilated their creators will win the entire AI War collection. That's the base game and all four expansions, providing endless hours of top notch, grand scale post-apocalypse of the apocalypse RTS in SPAAAAAACE.

PM your entries to me, brevity is a plus but if your idea is totally awesome and takes some time then just get it down and send it to me.

edit: Standard PA Steam Thread contest rules apply, you don't have to be a forum vet, a totally new poster can score this. Just entertain me. I'll run this until I decide someone wins and then they get the games.

Reposting this. Got one entry so far, so come on and get them in. It doesn't have to be serious or long or even all smart and stuff, just entertaining.

Also I'm totally willing to give out AI War advice, although as Maddoc said, the best thing possible is to play through the tutorial. If you don't understand things like how the Knowledge system (the only finite resource in the game, which you use to unlock and upgrade your tech), Supply, AI Progress and so forth works you aren't going to understand what is happening to you as the AI takes you out behind the barn for some rough trade.

@Sir Carcass Yeah, Ancient Shadows is really cool, and not only do you get an awesome hero unit, you also get cool space dungeons for him to explore. You also get something nice from the AI. It's called an ExoGalactic Strikefleet and it wants to get to know you better.

Also, I want to reiterate that this contest is open to everyone. If you are a lurker and you think you've got a winning submission I have zero problems with you registering an account to PM it to me.

Drake on
    VedicIntent
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnuJyJBM_J4#!

Damnit Blood Dragon! Stop being awesome! I'm not going to play you until I play Bioshock!

Albino BunnyDrakeIncindiumKrummithHounBig DookieChaosandQuietBig ClassyElvenshaeIoloStollsemp123BlendtecimperialparadoxCommander ZoomNotoriusBENDrovekironsizide
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    @Sir Carcass Yeah, Ancient Shadows is really cool, and not only do you get an awesome hero unit, you also get cool space dungeons for him to explore. You also get something nice from the AI. It's called an ExoGalactic Strikefleet and it wants to get to know you better.

Also, I want to reiterate that this contest is open to everyone. If you are a lurker and you think you've got a winning submission I have zero problems with you registering an account to PM it to me.

Ooh, I like the sound of that. I'm always up for meeting new people!

Good thing, too, because I bought it like an hour ago. :P

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Taramoor wrote: »

Damnit Blood Dragon! Stop being awesome! I'm not going to play you until I play Bioshock!

What the hell did it just watch? It was awesome and I'm going to need to get Blood Dragon... But was that a prequel or something?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

What the hell did it just watch? It was awesome and I'm going to need to get Blood Dragon... But was that a prequel or something?

I DON'T KNOW!

I don't think it matters.

Cyber-ninjas!

DrakeElvenshaeStollsCommander Zoom
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Someone recently mentioned watching for a Skyrim sale, think it was @Lindsey Lohan...

Well, it's 39.99 Brazilian whatever-their-money-is at Nuuvem, which works out to just about $20 US according to my converter. Steam code.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Iolo
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

I DON'T KNOW!

I don't think it matters.

Cyber-ninjas!

Look. Colt had two human hands. This is obviously the story of how he got his robot arm. Ergo, prequel.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    I've been holding off posting it but I can't help it anymore.

XboxAhoy
    Prostitute Murdering Simulator 2
    Nothing more required

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMeVfdPmfOQ

IncindiumAlbino BunnyBanzai5150
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    That guys voice is awesome.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Someone recently mentioned watching for a Skyrim sale, think it was @Lindsey Lohan...

Well, it's 39.99 Brazilian whatever-their-money-is at Nuuvem, which works out to just about $20 US according to my converter. Steam code.

Skyrim and DLC are also 50% off at Gamestop if Nuuvem isn't an option.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Scared Citadel is out! If anyone's up for co-op just send me a message. I'm installing it right now.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Just saw that Sacred Citadel came out early. Gamersgate is telling me I have unused serial keys but won't let me actually see them yet.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Scared Citadel is out! If anyone's up for co-op just send me a message. I'm installing it right now.
    I am just shy of falling off that fence I am sitting on, any opinions once you have had a chance to get your hands on the game would be appreciated.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

XboxAhoy
    Nothing more required

*snip*

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! I will not buy this, I will not buy this, I will not buy this. If I buy this my farm will suffer! If I buy this my farm will suffer! I don't need a Wheel... I don't need IR... gah I hate you so much right now.

50433.png?1684353703
    Commander Zoom
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Luchaire wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Also, there's eight people who've admitted to never playing F.E.A.R.

Inconceivable! I have it on good authority there were only four of us left on the planet.

I have it and both of the expansions, I've just never played it because 17 gigs.

I should probably get on that, though.

Also, that trucking video is awesome.

SmokeStacks on

XboxAhoy
    Nothing more required

<snip>

Goddammit!

Son of a motherless goat!

Humper of octogenarian legs!

Flinger of squishy pooh!

I had almost -- almost -- forgotten about ETS2. Why? Why would you do this?

*sob*

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Banzai5150Iolo
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Anyone have impressions of Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/227180/?snr=1_4_4__104_9

I'm interested, but if it's Online only, and I can't do coop with a buddy vs NPCs it's pretty much out.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    Not so good thing for Sacred Citadel so far: It caps at 1600x900 resolution.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Sacred Citadel's art style bothered me, from the video. It was too damn hard to distinguish the characters from the enemies, or even the backgrounds. Too samey, not enough pop, other words that make people who know the proper words cringe. I could not see playing that effectively at all, especially with 3 players.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Sacred Citadel's art style bothered me, from the video. It was too damn hard to distinguish the characters from the enemies, or even the backgrounds. Too samey, not enough pop, other words that make people who know the proper words cringe. I could not see playing that effectively at all, especially with 3 players.

Happens to me in Castle Crashers, even though they're a bit more distinct.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Probably final birthday update: @Big Classy decided that my birthday haul was insufficient. Now I get to spend the next couple weeks waiting for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon to unlock!

Edit: And while I'm typing this up, he hits me with Antichamber too!

I'm overwhelmed by you all. This has been kind of a rocky year so far for me, what with job issues, financial anxiety related to said job issues, knowing we have to move in a couple months because Surprise Baby 5.0 is coming, and sundry other craziness in my family.

So thank you again to everyone who sent me a gift, wished me a happy birthday, entered my giveaway, or just thought to yourself "Hey, happy birthday to that guy." This has become one of the more memorable birthdays I've had in a while.

IoloChaosandQuietPixelated PixieBrocksMulletBlendtecCommander ZoomElvenshaean_alt
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I kept watching that ETS2 video expecting him to drop some dubstep or run over people.

It was well done and very informative. :cry:

edited April 2013
    That guys voice is awesome.

I feel required to tell you that he does weapon guides on COD games but no one cares about that, however more relevantly he does drink guides as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJkMSFI28E&amp;list=ELnC75I60dwuE&amp;index=11

Full playlist:

iRevert on
    edited April 2013
    Okay, other than the silly resolution thing which I hope gets patched... Scared Citadel is pretty fun. Solid beat-em up with what seems to be a good length, four different characters and loot/RPG/level-up mechanics.

It kind of drops you into the game with no explanation but after a bit it gets better. Moves seem basic-ish but they can chain together fairly well and the graphic style does have a certain flair. The music has it's charm too. Story and voice-acting are usual fantasy stuff: forgettable so far.

I'd say worth the price of admission at least. It should be especially fun in co-op.

Edit: Also, the game has 360 controller support and has local co-op.
    Edit 2: The game does support 1920x1080, a .ini file under Documents/Scared Citadel can be edited.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
  • VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular

I think it's one of the greatest games ever made and a totally unique and compelling RTS, with elements of 4X and Tower Defense sprinkled liberally about. The game's procedurally generated campaigns are always packed full of surprises and fascinating tactical and strategic problems. It contains the most dastardly AI in all of gaming. It is not omniscient, but it also doesn't play by the same rules as the humans. It takes all data from its observations, mines it and then looks at its assets and determines counters from it's available pool of units. I've seen it divide forces to exploit vulnerabilities and use unit synergies in astounding ways. One day archaeologists from a distant star will analyze the AI that destroyed mankind, and I wouldn't be surprised if they found Chris Park and Keith Lamothe's signatures in the comments of the source code.

If you watched the above trailer, you have a basic idea of the story, but one thing remains a mystery in the AI War universe. The two AI that fought mankinds vast and eternal war between two long forgotten factions decided between themselves to cease fire and turned their attention onto humanity, nearly driving us into extinction. But why? Why did they do this? What is the reasoning behind abandoning their purpose? Whoever provides the most entertaining answer to the question of why these AI violated their program and annihilated their creators will win the entire AI War collection. That's the base game and all four expansions, providing endless hours of top notch, grand scale post-apocalypse of the apocalypse RTS in SPAAAAAACE.

PM your entries to me, brevity is a plus but if your idea is totally awesome and takes some time then just get it down and send it to me.

edit: Standard PA Steam Thread contest rules apply, you don't have to be a forum vet, a totally new poster can score this. Just entertain me. I'll run this until I decide someone wins and then they get the games.

Reposting this. Got one entry so far, so come on and get them in. It doesn't have to be serious or long or even all smart and stuff, just entertaining.

Also I'm totally willing to give out AI War advice, although as Maddoc said, the best thing possible is to play through the tutorial. If you don't understand things like how the Knowledge system (the only finite resource in the game, which you use to unlock and upgrade your tech), Supply, AI Progress and so forth works you aren't going to understand what is happening to you as the AI takes you out behind the barn for some rough trade.

@Drake Are there any good resources for a quick synopsis of the two-AI-once-enemies-now-bros backstory? The trailer seems to start after the fact, with humans picking up the pieces after <redacted> when the two AI war machines <redacted> because <redacted> and teamed up so <redacted>.

I'm consulting the Googles, but any specific places to look would be lovely.

VT09mOz.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

@Drake Are there any good resources for a quick synopsis of the two-AI-once-enemies-now-bros backstory? The trailer seems to start after the fact, with humans picking up the pieces after <redacted> when the two AI war machines <redacted> because <redacted> and teamed up so <redacted>.

I'm consulting the Googles, but any specific places to look would be lovely.

Yep, right here on the AI War wiki.

edited April 2013
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Probably final birthday update: @Big Classy decided that my birthday haul was insufficient. Now I get to spend the next couple weeks waiting for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon to unlock!

Edit: And while I'm typing this up, he hits me with Antichamber too!

I'm overwhelmed by you all. This has been kind of a rocky year so far for me, what with job issues, financial anxiety related to said job issues, knowing we have to move in a couple months because Surprise Baby 5.0 is coming, and sundry other craziness in my family.

So thank you again to everyone who sent me a gift, wished me a happy birthday, entered my giveaway, or just thought to yourself "Hey, happy birthday to that guy." This has become one of the more memorable birthdays I've had in a while.

HBSC1.jpg

:oops:

Happy Birthday @shdwcaster!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Sir CarcassBig ClassyDhalphirVedicIntentIoloStollsCaptain ElevenBlendtecemp123Commander ZoomElvenshae
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So i ended up buying The Walking Dead after all. Couldnt wait for a sale.

Played up until the departure from the farm. Gripping stuff so far though.

Saaruto
    There's a registry entry for some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. It's not named but the achievements all references the turtles. Presumably that Out of the Shadows game, which I didn't know was heading to PC, so that's nice.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    So i ended up buying The Walking Dead after all. Couldnt wait for a sale.

Played up until the departure from the farm. Gripping stuff so far though.

I started playing that a few days back. I got to somewhere in episode 2.

Then Bioshock Infinite happened. I haven't done much else since.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    If anyone got La Mulana from other sites, someone at Playism said Valve just gave them their keys, so they should be sending them out soon. I think they're off hours in Japan right now, so probably tommorow at the earliest.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Contest Time!

W4oln1n.jpg

Tomorrow, I will be taking a final exam. It's the first final of my last semester of college. On April 28th, I will be graduating. Obviously this is a pretty big milestone in my life, so I'd like to celebrate with my first contest. Over the past 4 years, I've learned a lot. One of the things I learned, is that those movies about fun times at college are misleading. Between a full course load and working full time, I didn't have a whole lot of time for all that. But damn if I don't like those stories.

So that is what I want, stories. Tell me your best, wildest or most interesting story of something you did at college, or just in general as an early 20-something. It can be anything, a wild party, a cool study abroad trip, a unique event you attended.

Since I'm graduating with a history degree (I know, you don't have to say anything), the best story will get their choice of a "historical" game. Any Paradox grand strategy game, any Civ, Age of Empires, Total War, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, any real war shooter, etc. To remain unbiased, the winner will tell me what game they want after they've won, price does not matter, and of course you can suggest other "historical" games.

To keep it interesting for me and to ensure I get good entries, the worst story will get a copy of Bad Rats. Even if you already have it, you'll be saddled with another.

The winning and losing story will be posted in the thread, as is customary. So you may want to edit them a bit, just in case.

Because this is school themed, so is the deadline. My last day of finals is next Saturday, April 27th. So you'll have until 6PM EST on April 27th to submit an entry to me via PM.

This contest is open to any active poster on the forums, I don't care about "Adventure Team" or anything like that. 1 entry per person. Since we're getting towards the end of this thread, I will repost this in the new one when it's up.

Fantastic contest, I have just the story!

steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

This is so 80s it hurts.

And it is a good pain.

It feels right.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    DrakeCommander ZoomDrovekAlbino BunnyElvenshae
  • oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Anyone have impressions of Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/227180/?snr=1_4_4__104_9

I'm interested, but if it's Online only, and I can't do coop with a buddy vs NPCs it's pretty much out.

Well, only one way to find out.

signature.png

steam_sig.png
    bobwoco
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That college story contest will be tough. Not only does the story have to be good, the re-telling of that story has to equate to more than "I got wasted, bro"

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Pixelated PixieBlendtecElvenshae
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    I will not be entering the college story contest for legal reasons. Good luck gents!

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
    Elvenshae
    Saaruto wrote: »
    I will not be entering the college story contest for legal reasons. Good luck gents!

I know right?

Have to keep OPSEC on my stories but in a few years when FOIA kicks in perhaps I'll share.

Saaruto
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

This is so 80s it hurts.

And it is a good pain.

It feels right.

I think...I think that is the most awesome thing I've seen all year. What's that you say? The year isn't even halfway over? Well, it is now. We're done, nothing can beat andriod cyber-ninjas. Pack it up guys, let's go home.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
    IoloTeeManElvenshae
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    Saaruto wrote: »

I know right?

Have to keep OPSEC on my stories but in a few years when FOIA kicks in perhaps I'll share.

Nah I just don't feel like putting incriminating things on the internet, I have a variety of other social media to be an idiot on. Age of Empires II HD though? Shit looks right.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
This discussion has been closed.