As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    yeah, honestly, if they are spending 100 million on marketing, where is it going?

100 million dollars is "holy fuck this shit is everywhere get these ads off me" money

Dhalphir on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How many times has Infinite been delayed? Maybe the advertising adds up to 100M after the repeat ramp up to missed release dates?

Oh brilliant
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    If you see the ad during a football game; they spent a lot of money on it.

If you see the ad during the Daily Show or other demographically appropriate show ala The Walking Dead; they spent a lot of money on it.

If you see the ad during a championship game; they spent A LOT of money on it.

If you see the ad before a big hollywood blockbuster; they spent a lot of money on it.

If the game wins a major award on Spike TV or is featured on their shill program; they spent a lot of money on it.

If the ad has licensed music that may or may not even be in the game; they spent a lot of money on it.

If footage of the game is actually in a movie; they spent a lot of money on it.

When you see all of those: It's either a big Activision release, a numbered AC game, GTA or Halo.

I have literally not seen a single BioShock Infinite ad. Not on tv, not a billboard, not even a banner ad on a gaming website.

I knew it was coming out, but until last week I actually didn't know the release date and was surprised it was so soon.

The sum total of my marketing knowledge of this game is the extended fifteen minute walkthrough from e3 and a dumb thread on neogaf about how Elizabeth's character design is sexist.

So I have to ask. They spent 100 million dollars on marketing this game. Am I some anomaly? Where has the money gone?

Shadowhope
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

If you see the ad during the Daily Show or other demographically appropriate show ala The Walking Dead; they spent a lot of money on it.

If you see the ad before a big hollywood blockbuster; they spent a lot of money on it.

If the game wins a major award on Spike TV or is featured on their shill program; they spent a lot of money on it.

If the ad has licensed music that may or may not even be in the game; they spent a lot of money on it.

When you see all of those: It's either a big Activision release, a numbered AC game, GTA or Halo.

I have literally not seen a single BioShock Infinite ad. Not on tv, not a billboard, not even a banner ad on a gaming website.

I knew it was coming out, but until last week I actually didn't know the release date and was surprised it was so soon.

The sum total of my marketing knowledge of this game is the extended fifteen minute walkthrough from e3 and a dumb thread on neogaf about how Elizabeth's character design is sexist.

So I have to ask. They spent 100 million dollars on marketing this game. Am I some anomaly? Where has the money gone?

You must not watch Adult Swim. Or Walking Dead.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So we're just taking that speculated $200m figure and running with it? There's a lot that's unclear in the way they're reporting those numbers, which seems to be stemming from the phrase
    "could add another $100 million, analysts said."

Which I would wager comes from the oft-quoted (but, as far as I know, never proven) assumption that you spend the same on marketing as you do on development. It's an unnamed analyst saying this, not even a source from Irrational or 2K or Take Two. Literally some guy who's paid to speculate about things. So, before we go proclaiming that things are all out of control and this is going to implode Ken Levine/Irrational/2K/America/Video Games, it might be advisable to take a step back.

edit: I mean, just yesterday there was a report on Eurogamer about how Tomb Raider initially had much more killing, and that Crystal Dynamics decided to 'halve the first death count'. This sprung from an interview on KillScreen with Rhianna Pratchett, where she gave that quote. Except that it was a typo, and she originally said they wanted to 'have the first death count', which means something entirely different. I'm not trying to divert this into a discussion about games journalism, but in this instance, it is entirely relevant to the subject of money in the games industry, because we're all losing our minds over a 'report' based on speculation from unnamed speculators, with absolutely zero credible evidence.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    Allforce
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I have seen movie theatre ads and a few while watching shows online. I don't watch live tv but im assuming that list is places this game has had ads so, yes you are an anomaly or you just don't watch any of the things on that list.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I have seen movie theatre ads and a few while watching shows online. I don't watch live tv but im assuming that list is places this game has had ads so, yes you are an anomaly or you just don't watch any of the things on that list.

I haven't seen any either. Anomolies FTW!

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Seen quite a few posters on buses over here.

But we seem to get a lot of ads. There have been quite a few up for crysis 3 as well.

They have also released a lot of trailers online, although I wouldn't know if that would be a major cost for them.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Didn't they have a bunch of billboards at Time's Square (everything's blocked here at work, but it seems it did happen)? I'm sure that wasn't cheap. Here's the thing though: I know WE haven't had exposure to the game's ads, but we're gamers... We'd know about the game... So maybe they're targeting people who don't hang out in Internet forums all day discussing video games?

I haven't seen a single ad for the game, but I have Adblock Plus and I don't watch cable or read the newspaper or anything like that so it's not all that surprising.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole 'we're visiting frat houses and finding what's appealing to them' makes a lot more sense now. They do seem to be trying to get a lot of people interested in thise game.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I doubt the budget is anywhere near 100m for the reasons darleysam has stated, it's all hearsay. But that number CAN be reached just by advertising on all the things that nobody here watches, ESPN, any sporting event, cable programming. Shit just if you see that ad run 16 times in a 4 hour stretch on Sportscenter (ESPN's highest rated program by far on the most successful cable network) you're talking about millions just on one block of programming.

Remember the ridiculous rates MS was quoting just for a tile on the Live dashboard for a WEEKEND? I want to say it was close to a quarter of a million dollars for 3 days but I might be off. It all comes to like "Eyes per view" or some fucked up metric where they can prove your ad is being seen by X number of people and charge you a ton for it.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's actually a small, reasonable number, I'm just saying that for what seems like a very unstable-looking pillar of reports and sources, everyone here seems to be buying it without question. The game's been in development since Bioshock 1 shipped, which is going to have cost a lot, and they'll want to drop a big sack of money on advertising so that it actually stands a chance of recouping those costs, but I sincerely doubt, from the information being cited, that the total spend is hitting $200m.

forumsig.png
    Of course, the best way to advertise your game is to simply make a good game.

I bet CDProjekt spent almost nothing on marketing The Witcher, and yet here we are.

I wonder if there's a point in development where the publisher knows they have a hot property. And not just a marketable game, but a very high quality game. They'd save a lot on unnecessary marketing that is better served by word of mouth.

You know, games off the top of my head that had this effect recently, the list is topped by BioShock. It had publisher muscle behind it but I distinctly remember when the demo launched at midnight, as a bit of a surprise, and the next day the entire goddamn internet was talking about it. It had come from nowhere. And then, when the game launched and the 10s just kept rolling in. Endlessly.

That was an industry moment and I think anyone doing a 'best of' list for this past console generation is probably going to go with BioShock as the best of the bunch, vying only with Galaxy or perhaps GTA.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There might also have been a bit of cash sunk into (setting-related spoilers)
    All the licensed music in this game. I think they're all covers, so it doesn't cost as much, but its still interesting. I've heard: Everybody Wants to Rule, God only Knows, and Girls just wanna have fun are in the game somewheres.

BlindPsychic on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Change "possible spoilers" to "definite spoilers." Oof.

Licensed music can be a hefty cost, but those particular ones don't seem to be big enough to carry a hefty cost. Especially if they're covers, which I hear cuts the cost of licensing in half.
    Err, cloudeagle, Nintendo released a microtransaction filled dating sim on the 3DS a month and a half ago.

What, really? Serves me right for thinking I can be weirder that the publishers. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

I bet CDProjekt spent almost nothing on marketing The Witcher, and yet here we are.

I wonder if there's a point in development where the publisher knows they have a hot property. And not just a marketable game, but a very high quality game. They'd save a lot on unnecessary marketing that is better served by word of mouth.

You know, games off the top of my head that had this effect recently, the list is topped by BioShock. It had publisher muscle behind it but I distinctly remember when the demo launched at midnight, as a bit of a surprise, and the next day the entire goddamn internet was talking about it. It had come from nowhere. And then, when the game launched and the 10s just kept rolling in. Endlessly.

That was an industry moment and I think anyone doing a 'best of' list for this past console generation is probably going to go with BioShock as the best of the bunch, vying only with Galaxy or perhaps GTA.

Lol Bioshock was one of the most marketed and hyped games long before it released. They had that teaser trailer from e3 out for a full year before the game released and the demo almost crashed XBox Live over the sheer rush of people downloading it the second it released.

It's the antithesis of "coming out of nowhere" when you get a statue for preordering.

I don't remember it being pushed at all. Especially considering its style and design, all of which went against the modern military shooter motif entirely, which was roaring at the time.

Again, maybe I just missed all of the marketing. I guess I'm just outside the demographics for these games.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Change "possible spoilers" to "definite spoilers." Oof.

Licensed music can be a hefty cost, but those particular ones don't seem to be big enough to carry a hefty cost. Especially if they're covers, which I hear cuts the cost of licensing in half.
    Err, cloudeagle, Nintendo released a microtransaction filled dating sim on the 3DS a month and a half ago.

What, really? Serves me right for thinking I can be weirder that the publishers. :P

Well for what its worth, the music was in the first trailer ever released, and the others also showed up in gameplay demos. I'm not using super secret info or anything. But yeah if you're going dark I guess it would count.

I don't remember it being pushed at all. Especially considering its style and design, all of which went against the modern military shooter motif entirely, which was roaring at the time.

Again, maybe I just missed all of the marketing. I guess I'm just outside the demographics for these games.

It was hyped pretty hard in the enthusiast press, though for the general market it kind of did come out of nowhere.

Then again the same could be said for most non-Call of Duty games nowadays, since it's pretty typical for ads to not start until a couple weeks before release.

Though Assassin's Creed 3 got loads of ads pretty early too.

It came out 3 months before Call of Duty 4, which was the first Modern Warfare game and really started the modern military shooter craze.

It was also 360 exclusive and people and the hype was so big that people were cosplaying Little Sisters at midnight releases.

Not trying to beat you down here but it was a giant game before during and after release.

Infinite will do Halo numbers this week. But not COD numbers. :)

Skull2185urahonkydarleysam
    Unfortunately it came out a week too late since I literally just bought 3 WiiU games. I'll just have to catch Infinite when it goes on sale during the Steam holiday sale or something.

But I'm such a Bioshock whore I'll probably still get it.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/xbox-games-on-demand-manager-explains-why-it-lags-on-day-and-dat/
    Xbox Games on Demand Senior Business Manager Erik Yeager noted concern with console sales as the reason the 360 doesn't sell games via Xbox Live on launch day. Microsoft's Games on Demand has been noticeably lagging behind Sony, Nintendo - and, yes, PCs in general - on digitally distributed titles launching day-and-date alongside retail releases.

"We have a lot of strong partnerships with retailers," said Yeager at yesterday's MIT Business in Games conference. "We really need them to do a lot for us. They're the ones out there selling the consoles, selling the peripherals and, in this time, we're trying to figure out how to fit that in to the whole digital landscape shift. We're just taking a bit of a measured pace with it."

Microsoft's Xbox 360 has been the top selling console in the United States for the past 26 months. Asked if the company would have moved faster on day-and-date if that weren't the case, Yeager responded, "I probably can't comment on that one."

He continued, "We really strongly believe it's important to have these retail partnerships and the ability to sell our console is the most critical thing for us. If you don't sell the console, you can't sell anything else."

Yeager pointed out that Games on Demand titles have gradually decreased their lag time between retail and digital distribution on the service. Sony's PlayStation 4 has already outlined a heavy digital distribution strategy. Microsoft is expected to announce the plans for its upcoming console in the coming months.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I wish wish wish more games, if not most games, would follow The Witcher 2's model. It had a budget of $8 million, and sold 1.1 million copies in 2011, clearly a success. I read similar things about Metro 2033 iirc. A good game with a modest budget selling well enough to make a tidy profit. And it's not like either of these games isn't a looker.

Muddy Water on
    Allforce wrote: »

It came out 3 months before Call of Duty 4, which was the first Modern Warfare game and really started the modern military shooter craze.

It was also 360 exclusive and people and the hype was so big that people were cosplaying Little Sisters at midnight releases.

Not trying to beat you down here but it was a giant game before during and after release.

Infinite will do Halo numbers this week. But not COD numbers. :)

My memory of here when demo came out was "wait, you people weren't excited about this before?" because I'd been following it for some time and there seemed to be a general current of interest, but then it was like everyone else here suddenly became aware of its existence overnight. Like, I figured everyone already knew about it, but it seemed a lot less people actually did until that point.

forumsig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'd rather the Games on Demand division re-evaluate their wackadoo pricing models. Most of the games they put up on the service are grossly overpriced...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's important to remember also that advertising budgets are seen as protecting your asset.

If you spend (numbers pulled from ass here) $50 million to develop a game, it's generally considered a good idea to spend another $20 million or something advertising it to make sure you get your ROI. And it works, for the most part. (nothings guaranteed, it's always a gamble, but you stack the odds in your favour)

Spend money to make money and all that.

shryke on
    GethElvenshae
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Xbox Games on Demand Senior Business Manager Erik Yeager noted concern with console sales as the reason the 360 doesn't sell games via Xbox Live on launch day. Microsoft's Games on Demand has been noticeably lagging behind Sony, Nintendo - and, yes, PCs in general - on digitally distributed titles launching day-and-date alongside retail releases.

"We have a lot of strong partnerships with retailers," said Yeager at yesterday's MIT Business in Games conference. "We really need them to do a lot for us. They're the ones out there selling the consoles, selling the peripherals and, in this time, we're trying to figure out how to fit that in to the whole digital landscape shift. We're just taking a bit of a measured pace with it."

Microsoft's Xbox 360 has been the top selling console in the United States for the past 26 months. Asked if the company would have moved faster on day-and-date if that weren't the case, Yeager responded, "I probably can't comment on that one."

He continued, "We really strongly believe it's important to have these retail partnerships and the ability to sell our console is the most critical thing for us. If you don't sell the console, you can't sell anything else."

Yeager pointed out that Games on Demand titles have gradually decreased their lag time between retail and digital distribution on the service. Sony's PlayStation 4 has already outlined a heavy digital distribution strategy. Microsoft is expected to announce the plans for its upcoming console in the coming months.
    [/quote]

Well...that wouldn't sound like a load of bullshit if the 360 hadn't been consistently selling well for like...

The last year or two.

I'm thinking it probably has more to do with the average 360 users HDD probably not having much space to actually take average of it. But then they'd have to admit that.

Dragkonias on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular

I wish wish wish more games, if not most games, would follow The Witcher 2's model. It had a budget of $8 million, and sold 1.1 million copies in 2011, clearly a success. I read similar things about Metro 2033 iirc. A good game with a modest budget selling well enough to make a tidy profit. And it's not like either of these games isn't a looker.

Both of those games being developed with cheap Eastern European wages probably had something to do with that. I have no idea if they could translate that success to studios further west.

So if we take the PR spin that Microsoft's on-demand service sucks because they don't want to annoy retailers at its word, then the optimistic spin is that maybe that means they won't do some sort of used game restrictions for the same reason.

But who knows.

Microsoft does a lot of things to the Media departments at local brick and mortar stores to help sell their games. I know a few people that have never had to buy any first party Microsoft games because they get a free copy of all the new stuff so they can sell it to people. Additionally they get to go to some summits that give them free 360s/t-shirts/demos of the latest games/etc. So it's no wonder why the people working there always push the 360 over the PS3/Wii/etc.

edited March 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well...that wouldn't sound like a load of bullshit if the 360 hadn't been consistently selling well for like...

The last year or two.

I'm thinking it probably has more to do with the average 360 users HDD probably not having much space to actually take average of it. But then they'd have to admit that.

Yeah, because Microsoft would hate to sell more hard drives to people. It sounds pretty plausible to me, and a predicted outcome of the push for digital games. Retailers pledge to push Microsoft hardware and peripherals in return for a delay in when they put stuff up on Games on Demand. If it weren't working out for Microsoft, they'd certainly go back on it, but they've been outselling everything else so it's working out for them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png

I think it also helps that it's developed in like Kirkpanistan or Uzbekijhan (or maybe it's just Poland :D ), where I'm sure they're not paying artists 90K a year to sit around after their job is done.

Why are we calling it spin and dismissing it, when they're hardly covering for anything or trying to make a bad situation sound better. They have been outselling the competition for the last 26 months, like the thing says, and they're giving a reason why that's been the case. Retailers promoting their hardware in return for a favour is exactly the kind of reason why a console might be selling better.

forumsig.png
    OneAngryPossum
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    WayForward is making a 2d DuckTales game. I am officially happy :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    CorriganXAgahnimDrovekUndead ScottsmanElvenshaeNiceguyeddie616NitsuaJobless Anarchist
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d1A2row6I

DrovekElvenshaeNiceguyeddie616NitsuaSpaffyJobless Anarchist
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    *Swoon* 8->

I hope this sells well so that we get remakes of Darkwing Duck and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    DrovekElvenshaeNitsua
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Remaking. REMAKING. That's the key word here.

While I'll probably buy this and enjoy it, I would have been much happier if it was completely new.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    *Swoon* 8->

I hope this sells well so that we get remakes of Darkwing Duck and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

God, yes. Especially Chip & Dale. With online co-op, so you can be a dick and throw other people off cliffs :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    ElvenshaeNitsuaDversed
    ...holy shit. I never would have guessed someone would talk Disney into revisiting DuckTales, since they've been doing fuck-all with the IP.

Not that there's not room for us to talk about this, but this needs to be a thread. I'm making one.

DrovekBlendtec
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Remaking. REMAKING. That's the key word here.

While I'll probably buy this and enjoy it, I would have been much happier if it was completely new.

The Money Bin level in that trailer was not in the original game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.