As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    WayForward is making a 2d DuckTales game. I am officially happy :D

Remaking. REMAKING. That's the key word here.

While I'll probably buy this and enjoy it, I would have been much happier if it was completely new.

The Money Bin level in that trailer was not in the original game.

I haven't been able to watch the trailer because I'm at work, but the term "remastered" makes me think that majority of the game is a remake.

Which is fine for those of you that have never played it, but as someone who was born in 1985, I know this game like the back of my hand.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/hmv-slashes-wii-u-premium-to-just-199-99/0112943
    Nintendo's Wii U is currently on sale for an all-time low price on the UK High Street.

HMV is selling the Wii U Premium bundle including copies of both NintendoLand and Ubisoft's ZombiU for just £199.99. That's a £140 discount on the RRP.

In-store POS confirming the price was spotted by MCV reader Andy James at the chain's Stoke on Trent store. Of course, with HMV in dire straights and its gaming aspirations up for question, the price could in part be driven by a desire to empty warehouses of video games stock.

The price significantly undercuts GameStop's £244.97 – the previous lowest price the machine was available for.

The move comes after MCV yesterday revealed that retailers are increasingly dissatisfied with the console's performance in the UK.

“We have taken the decision to reduce the price of the Basic Wii U to test the market and assess the impact of a price change for a short period of time,” ShopTo purchasing director James Rowson stated. “This has resulted in a smaller than desired increase in sales at this stage.”

UPDATE: CVG has word that the price promotion will begin on Monday March 25th and run for as long as stock lasts.
    There have also been a bunch of temporary price cuts in the USA.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

While I'll probably buy this and enjoy it, I would have been much happier if it was completely new.

I haven't been able to watch the trailer because I'm at work, but the term "remastered" makes me think that majority of the game is a remake.

Which is fine for those of you that have never played it, but as someone who was born in 1985, I know this game like the back of my hand.

I will play this so much and the original is my most played NES game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, Best Buy is selling the Basic at $249 and Nintendoland for $29.99.

Plus Target is giving you a $50 GC with the purchase of any Wii U.

So you could easily get Target to price match Best Buy for the $249.99 Wii U, get the $50 gift card, then have them price match Nintendoland, and use the $50 Gift Card to get Nintendoland ($29.99) and the Cradle set ($19.99) for free.

That's essentially the Deluxe bundle right there for $249, minus the Deluxe Digital Promotion and larger internal storage.

Honestly if I didn't buy a Wii U at launch I'd be doing this, because I much prefer the white color.
    Fuck if I could transfer my data off my existing unit I'd buy this and resell my black one.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

From the Joystiq story:
    Capcom is bringing back DuckTales in a new game developed by WayForward Technologies. This is one of the two new games teased by Capcom ahead of the "World of Capcom" panel, along with Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara.

The new DuckTales, of course, is inspired by the NES classic, a Mega Man-esque game in which Scrooge McDuck used his cane as both a golf club and a pogo stick. The new version has new hand-drawn sprites, and features original voice work. It's coming to Wii U, PSN, and XBLA for $15.

That could of course be Joystiq not knowing what they are talking about, but it sounds like a new game (that is heavily based around the original) to me.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Even if they don't change a thing I'm just happy the licensing worked out and it's available again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man I hope they get Alan Young. The dude is 94. They need to do this now. Once he's gone no new DuckTales things will be quite the same.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The video shows updated scenes directly from the old game. I heard someone else say it's about 75% the original game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Whoa, $15? I know the mouse needs his cut, but geez Capcom, that seems to be tacking on an extra $5 because you know people will buy it.

And I hope that 75% figure means the complete old game, with a new world.

Whoa, $15? I know the mouse needs his cut, but geez Capcom, that seems to be tacking on an extra $5 because you know people will buy it.

And I hope that 75% figure means the complete old game, with a new world.

Wasn't Bionic Commando: Rearmed $15?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    How cooperative are the rights owners usually in these types of cases? DuckTales isn't exactly a huge brand so did they just go, "Sure, whatever. Give us five bucks."

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    How cooperative are the rights owners usually in these types of cases? DuckTales isn't exactly a huge brand so did they just go, "Sure, whatever. Give us five bucks."

DuckTales might not be huge, but the characters sure are.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Apparently Capcom and Disney were in negotiations the entire Wii era to get their games on the VC but could never work out the right deal.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm hearing the new Ducktales is a remake. I hope there isn't weird input lag or something. And I hope they do a good Moon level.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Apparently Capcom and Disney were in negotiations the entire Wii era to get their games on the VC but could never work out the right deal.

Weird. It would pretty much be free money for both of them.

I'm sure the argument was over who got how much of the free money :)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I'm sure the argument was over who got how much of the free money :)

Definitely. Somebody wasn't okay with a 50/50 split.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/wb-games-san-francisco-opens-this-year-will-focus-on-f2p-mobil/
    Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is opening a new studio in San Francisco some time this year, a studio which is unsurprisingly called WB Games San Francisco. WB Games San Francisco will be responsible for "developing and publishing high-quality, free-to-play, mobile, social and browser-based games."

Greg Ballard – who was appointed to senior VP of digital games in 2010 – will be studio head honcho. "San Francisco is a hotbed of local talent and convenient access to major partners, and this will help us achieve our goal to bring our top entertainment and gaming brands, as well as original IP, to multiple mobile, social and emerging platforms," Ballard said. In addition to development, WB Games San Francisco will also oversee publishing duties for all mobile games developed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    This is fantastic:
    This morning, Blizzard announced Hearthfire: Heroes of Warcraft, a digital collectible card game based on characters from World of Warcraft. Yesterday, Gameloft released Order & Chaos Duels, a digital collectible card game based on characters based on World of Warcraft characters.

Let me clarify. Order & Chaos Online is Gameloft's mobile MMO, an obvious copy of World of Warcraft, right down to the character art. Order & Chaos Duels is a free-to-play collectible card game for iPhone, iPad and Android, with mechanics quite similar to the physical World of Warcraft card game. It's a rather solid little title, with an expansive campaign and plenty of opportunities for online domination.

http://kotaku.com/5991935/gamelofts-world-of-warcraft-clone-already-has-a-collectible-card-game-spin+off

Oh Gameloft, you rascally scamps.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Wasn't Bionic Commando: Rearmed $15?

$10 actually. I wish that 2 wasn't terrible, I so wanted a new Bionic Commando in 2D...

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Nintendo's Wii U is currently on sale for an all-time low price on the UK High Street.

HMV is selling the Wii U Premium bundle including copies of both NintendoLand and Ubisoft's ZombiU for just £199.99. That's a £140 discount on the RRP.

In-store POS confirming the price was spotted by MCV reader Andy James at the chain's Stoke on Trent store. Of course, with HMV in dire straights and its gaming aspirations up for question, the price could in part be driven by a desire to empty warehouses of video games stock.

The price significantly undercuts GameStop's £244.97 – the previous lowest price the machine was available for.

The move comes after MCV yesterday revealed that retailers are increasingly dissatisfied with the console's performance in the UK.

“We have taken the decision to reduce the price of the Basic Wii U to test the market and assess the impact of a price change for a short period of time,” ShopTo purchasing director James Rowson stated. “This has resulted in a smaller than desired increase in sales at this stage.”

UPDATE: CVG has word that the price promotion will begin on Monday March 25th and run for as long as stock lasts.

Fuck I was literally in the Stoke store yesterday. Might pick myself up a WiiU next week for that price.

Someone remind me: what is the WiiU again and why do I want one? I'm not bullshitting, it's launch has literally passed me by.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This is fantastic:
    This morning, Blizzard announced Hearthfire: Heroes of Warcraft, a digital collectible card game based on characters from World of Warcraft. Yesterday, Gameloft released Order & Chaos Duels, a digital collectible card game based on characters based on World of Warcraft characters.

Let me clarify. Order & Chaos Online is Gameloft's mobile MMO, an obvious copy of World of Warcraft, right down to the character art. Order & Chaos Duels is a free-to-play collectible card game for iPhone, iPad and Android, with mechanics quite similar to the physical World of Warcraft card game. It's a rather solid little title, with an expansive campaign and plenty of opportunities for online domination.

http://kotaku.com/5991935/gamelofts-world-of-warcraft-clone-already-has-a-collectible-card-game-spin+off

I'm continually impressed by the speed and agility of the cheap knock-off industry.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Wii Mini launched in the UK....people didn't care.
    Poor Nintendo is having a bit of a rough one at the moment, and that bad luck seems to be continuing with a lack of consumer interest in today's launch of the Wii Mini.

One of Game's flagship stores told TechRadar that it wasn't even stocking the console because demand has been so exceptionally poor, despite having pre-orders up on the site beforehand.

"We've pretty much had nothing. None at all," they said.

HMV also told us that it's not stocking the console at this present time, suggesting interest has also been extremely minimal. It did add, however, that it would consider selling it in the future if demand picked up.

Nintendo's scaled-down Wii is a last attempt to squeeze the success of its former console, which has sold almost 100 million worldwide. But with the Wii U now available, and the PS4 and Xbox 720 on their way, it's little surprise that no one wants an outdated platform - even with its £80 price tag.

I can't really find a good enough reason to even buy a Wii U these days, Nintendo's titles alone just ain't cutting it after playing slight changes in Mario games for the past decade. Metroid has been meh, Zelda needs a big change up, it just becomes yeah I would buy it if they did something...but that something they haven't done yet.

The_Scarab wrote: »

Fuck I was literally in the Stoke store yesterday. Might pick myself up a WiiU next week for that price.

Someone remind me: what is the WiiU again and why do I want one? I'm not bullshitting, it's launch has literally passed me by.

The next Nintendo system. A bit more powerful than the PS3. Has a cool tablet controller. Is in sort of a classic Nintendo rut where there are no games post launch and that won't be solved until this summer.

The next Nintendo system. A bit more powerful than the PS3. Has a cool tablet controller. Is in sort of a classic Nintendo rut where there are no games post launch and that won't be solved until this summer.

With Lego City and Monster Hunter out, hopefully that'll help. Though E3 can't come soon enough.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited March 2013

Also MiiVerse which is awesome.

Warlock82 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Super Smash Bros by this Holiday Season? I'm betting so.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    This is fantastic:

Friend of mine worked on Hearthfire! Saw him pimp the link on Facebook this morning, didn't realize they just announced it. He is also in the credits for Heart of the Swarm.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Poor Nintendo is having a bit of a rough one at the moment, and that bad luck seems to be continuing with a lack of consumer interest in today's launch of the Wii Mini.

One of Game's flagship stores told TechRadar that it wasn't even stocking the console because demand has been so exceptionally poor, despite having pre-orders up on the site beforehand.

HMV also told us that it's not stocking the console at this present time, suggesting interest has also been extremely minimal. It did add, however, that it would consider selling it in the future if demand picked up.

Nintendo's scaled-down Wii is a last attempt to squeeze the success of its former console, which has sold almost 100 million worldwide. But with the Wii U now available, and the PS4 and Xbox 720 on their way, it's little surprise that no one wants an outdated platform - even with its £80 price tag.

I can't really find a good enough reason to even buy a Wii U these days, Nintendo's titles alone just ain't cutting it after playing slight changes in Mario games for the past decade. Metroid has been meh, Zelda needs a big change up, it just becomes yeah I would buy it if they did something...but that something they haven't done yet.

I feel the exact same way. I skipped the Wii entirely and don't feel like I missed much.

I was all amped up to buy one during the launch rush after seeing ZombiU in action but since I hadn't pre-ordered I couldn't find the Wii U Premium pack anywhere. If Nintendo had stocked better, I would have impulse bought one early on. Lucky for me I guess.

steam_sig.png
    You can get the ZombiU deluxe bundle for pretty cheap now and it's totally worth it. Best release game in forever, in my opinion.

urahonky wrote: »
    Super Smash Bros by this Holiday Season? I'm betting so.

I'm betting not, since Sakurai loves cramming as much stuff in his games as possible. I'm still baffled a Kid Icarus game has 40 hours plus of content.

At any rate, PAR has some stuff on the console version of Diablo III. The short version is that you can play it offline, there's no real-money auction house and it's not necessarily a Sony exclusive.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/console-diablo-3-playable-offline-real-money-auction-house-removed-not-exac

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

It looks like they're at least adding content. I haven't watched the trailer yet, since I'm at work, but I don't recall the original game having any levels in the McDuck Mansion like in the preview pic.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Problem is, isn't the WiiU "potentially" more powerful than the 360/PS3? There's some sort of nasty bottleneck there, right? So the WiiU Epic Mickey 2 had a fucking terrible framerate?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited March 2013
    That... That's exactly the Diablo 3 I've been asking for on PC.

e: Kinda pisses me off actually..

urahonky on
    Cade wrote: »

I feel the exact same way. I skipped the Wii entirely and don't feel like I missed much.

I was all amped up to buy one during the launch rush after seeing ZombiU in action but since I hadn't pre-ordered I couldn't find the Wii U Premium pack anywhere. If Nintendo had stocked better, I would have impulse bought one early on. Lucky for me I guess.

I've seen the Wii U premium with ZombiU pack in which is not a bad deal but there needs to be more. Not so much with that package but something that makes me say I got to play this....and Nintendo doesn't have that and I'm not sure they ever will which I find a bit disheartening since Nintendo use to be the main console I always got no matter what but at this point they need to prove to me that it's going to be worthwhile to buy and not a failure and so far...I'm not sure it is going to be otherwise. Plus with how they dealt with the whole 3DS thing I'm waiting to see if they make any big change ups with the Wii U to really boost things be it more games offered, a new model or what have you. Whatever they do it has to be impressive, a price cut alone isn't going to cut it.

Problem is, isn't the WiiU "potentially" more powerful than the 360/PS3? There's some sort of nasty bottleneck there, right? So the WiiU Epic Mickey 2 had a fucking terrible framerate?

No, it's more powerful. Epic Mickey 2 sucked because it was a crap/lazy port.

Wow missed out on all of the Wii games and you feel like you haven't missed out? That's actually really surprising... Though I guess I could really say the same about the 360/PS3 combo I have sitting at home. Don't really need both of them if you've got a decent PC.

urahonky wrote: »
    That... That's exactly the Diablo 3 I've been asking for on PC.

e: Kinda pisses me off actually..

It's what almost all of us wanted and asked for. I'm kinda ticked about it as well. I might even play the game again if they did this for the PC version despite the story sucking donkey balls.

No, it's more powerful. Epic Mickey 2 sucked because it was a crap/lazy port.

That and according to reviews it reused a lot of places in the original only made them more smaller and cut off. Plus you had to rely on a dumb AI partner.

At any rate, PAR has some stuff on the console version of Diablo III. The short version is that you can play it offline, there's no real-money auction house and it's not necessarily a Sony exclusive.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/console-diablo-3-playable-offline-real-money-auction-house-removed-not-exac

El Oh El. I've been wondering about that. It seemed like an odd move to go exclusive. I bet Sony paid them for a timed exclusive and/or it's coming to Xbox Next and they don't want to announce that until that console is announced.

El Oh El. I've been wondering about that. It seemed like an odd move to go exclusive. I bet Sony paid them for a timed exclusive and/or it's coming to Xbox Next and they don't want to announce that until that console is announced.

I was actually thinking the Sony thing was just because they give developers more freedom to do wacky things with online than Microsoft, like Steam connectivity. If that's the case, maybe the capability fell through and they figured they may as well do Microsoft as well.

This discussion has been closed.