As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There was no language in the Sony conference about it being exclusive and there is no reason at all not to put it on 360 at least.

I'd probably give a Wii U version a try but I doubt they'd be so kind as to do that.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    At any rate, PAR has some stuff on the console version of Diablo III. The short version is that you can play it offline, there's no real-money auction house and it's not necessarily a Sony exclusive.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/console-diablo-3-playable-offline-real-money-auction-house-removed-not-exac

El Oh El. I've been wondering about that. It seemed like an odd move to go exclusive. I bet Sony paid them for a timed exclusive and/or it's coming to Xbox Next and they don't want to announce that until that console is announced.

I was actually thinking the Sony thing was just because they give developers more freedom to do wacky things with online than Microsoft, like Steam connectivity. If that's the case, maybe the capability fell through and they figured they may as well do Microsoft as well.

Maybe, but you'd also think Xbox would be a bit easier since it uses the DirectX framework stuff which they're all probably already used to. (then again, Microsoft does have the worst patching policy ever...)

Also as I recall StarCraft: Ghost was slated to come out for PS2 and Xbox, so at least back then they weren't discriminating (except against GameCube... /sadface)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    It can't be on XBox 720, they said "offline play" is available.

*rimshot*

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    At any rate, PAR has some stuff on the console version of Diablo III. The short version is that you can play it offline, there's no real-money auction house and it's not necessarily a Sony exclusive.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/console-diablo-3-playable-offline-real-money-auction-house-removed-not-exac

No always-online means no RMAH.

Fake Edit: And yeah, that's what they say.

shryke on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    That... That's exactly the Diablo 3 I've been asking for on PC.

e: Kinda pisses me off actually..

It's basically why I went with Torchlight 2 instead. Well, that and the fact that I don't need to play through the game twice to get to an interesting difficulty level.

Regardless, at least people will stop trying to defend D3 as an "MMO" now.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    That... That's exactly the Diablo 3 I've been asking for on PC.

e: Kinda pisses me off actually..

It's basically why I went with Torchlight 2 instead. Well, that and the fact that I don't need to play through the game twice to get to an interesting difficulty level.

Regardless, at least people will stop trying to defend D3 as an "MMO" now.

Yeah... I unfortunately bought the collector's edition of D3... It's my biggest gaming regret ever. TL2 is grand and so is Path of Exile so in the end it worked out. I just... Wish it was this way from the beginning.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Wii Mini launched in the UK....people didn't care.
    Poor Nintendo is having a bit of a rough one at the moment, and that bad luck seems to be continuing with a lack of consumer interest in today's launch of the Wii Mini.

One of Game's flagship stores told TechRadar that it wasn't even stocking the console because demand has been so exceptionally poor, despite having pre-orders up on the site beforehand.

"We've pretty much had nothing. None at all," they said.

HMV also told us that it's not stocking the console at this present time, suggesting interest has also been extremely minimal. It did add, however, that it would consider selling it in the future if demand picked up.

Nintendo's scaled-down Wii is a last attempt to squeeze the success of its former console, which has sold almost 100 million worldwide. But with the Wii U now available, and the PS4 and Xbox 720 on their way, it's little surprise that no one wants an outdated platform - even with its £80 price tag.

I can't really find a good enough reason to even buy a Wii U these days, Nintendo's titles alone just ain't cutting it after playing slight changes in Mario games for the past decade. Metroid has been meh, Zelda needs a big change up, it just becomes yeah I would buy it if they did something...but that something they haven't done yet.

I feel the exact same way. I skipped the Wii entirely and don't feel like I missed much.

I was all amped up to buy one during the launch rush after seeing ZombiU in action but since I hadn't pre-ordered I couldn't find the Wii U Premium pack anywhere. If Nintendo had stocked better, I would have impulse bought one early on. Lucky for me I guess.

You missed a bunch, actually, but it's kinda like the PS2 situation--no point in picking one up now unless you have lots of free time and a fairly empty backlog.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is Nintendo going to try and sell the Wii mini in the US?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Pretty much the always online thing was only really for the RMAH, because otherwise cheating would have been rampant and ruined that feature entirely. Which is not to say other features wouldn't also take advantage, but I'd imagine they would have done like StarCraft 2 where it's "online if you actually want achievements, but you can still play offline".

Also I'd say frankly the ability to cheat on consoles is probably a lot harder anyways, so they're relatively safe there.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I thought they were? Didn't they announce it was.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Wow missed out on all of the Wii games and you feel like you haven't missed out? That's actually really surprising... Though I guess I could really say the same about the 360/PS3 combo I have sitting at home. Don't really need both of them if you've got a decent PC.

I played a few of them at length at friend's houses. Zelda just feels like the same ol' same ol'. I actually did buy Skyward Sword but eventually became apathetic and annoyed at the constant hand-holding and put it down. I never really enjoyed Metroid Prime (I'd rather a 2.5D approach that doesn't suck) Smash Bros. got a lot of attention from me and my friends actually. Mario Galaxy was a blast too, I probably would say that it was the one I feel I truly missed out on.

But to be honest, none of Nintendo's offerings last gen (can we call it that now?) felt unique or compelling enough to justify buying a third console. There were plenty of great experiences on 360/PS3/PC that scratched all those Nintend-itches.

steam_sig.png
    Oh I'm not bashing you at all, Ragnar. I understand where you're coming from. I hope I didn't come off as a prick.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Pretty much the always online thing was only really for the RMAH, because otherwise cheating would have been rampant and ruined that feature entirely. Which is not to say other features wouldn't also take advantage, but I'd imagine they would have done like StarCraft 2 where it's "online if you actually want achievements, but you can still play offline".

Also I'd say frankly the ability to cheat on consoles is probably a lot harder anyways, so they're relatively safe there.

Basically I imagine they wanted to undercut the black market from D2 and to do that they need to secure the system. With leaves you with basically 2 parallel but no-touchy setups for the game and so at some point they said "Fuck it, everyones got internet now" and dropped the offline idea, which also makes the system more secure as you can't get your hands on all the stuff that makes the game tick.

I'm betting the offline play for consoles is mostly due to lower online penetration in the market and maybe a bit with potential licensing rules from Sony/MS/etc about being able to play games without connecting to the internets.

Wow missed out on all of the Wii games and you feel like you haven't missed out? That's actually really surprising... Though I guess I could really say the same about the 360/PS3 combo I have sitting at home. Don't really need both of them if you've got a decent PC.

I played a few of them at length at friend's houses. Zelda just feels like the same ol' same ol'. I actually did buy Skyward Sword but eventually became apathetic and annoyed at the constant hand-holding and put it down. I never really enjoyed Metroid Prime (I'd rather a 2.5D approach that doesn't suck) Smash Bros. got a lot of attention from me and my friends actually. Mario Galaxy was a blast too, I probably would say that it was the one I feel I truly missed out on.

But to be honest, none of Nintendo's offerings last gen (can we call it that now?) felt unique or compelling enough to justify buying a third console. There were plenty of great experiences on 360/PS3/PC that scratched all those Nintend-itches.

Mario Galaxy was pretty unique.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    This is fantastic:
    This morning, Blizzard announced Hearthfire: Heroes of Warcraft, a digital collectible card game based on characters from World of Warcraft. Yesterday, Gameloft released Order & Chaos Duels, a digital collectible card game based on characters based on World of Warcraft characters.

Let me clarify. Order & Chaos Online is Gameloft's mobile MMO, an obvious copy of World of Warcraft, right down to the character art. Order & Chaos Duels is a free-to-play collectible card game for iPhone, iPad and Android, with mechanics quite similar to the physical World of Warcraft card game. It's a rather solid little title, with an expansive campaign and plenty of opportunities for online domination.

http://kotaku.com/5991935/gamelofts-world-of-warcraft-clone-already-has-a-collectible-card-game-spin+off

Oh Gameloft, you rascally scamps.

Friend of mine worked on Hearthfire! Saw him pimp the link on Facebook this morning, didn't realize they just announced it. He is also in the credits for Heart of the Swarm.

I'm in the HotS credits too! and Wow (cata/pandaria), and Diablo III! :D

EDIT: The wii has Xenoblade, and that's the single best JRPG of the entire generation.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2013
    ...show off.
    /jealous

urahonky on

I'm pretty much the same way only I had a Wii, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Punch Out etc. And it all felt been there, done that. To be fair I got a 360 and PS3 and the only reason the PS3 gets a slight pass since I didn't really bother with much on that system either is due to blu ray. My gaming for the last few years has gone 360/PC with some DS/3DS mixed in.

edited March 2013
    I was looking for my friend who interned at Blizzard last summer but he wasn't listed sadly :(

I did recognize a couple names from the good ol' ScmDraft days :)

Warlock82 on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    ...show off.
    /jealous

And I'm even credited as a "lead" spot in Hots, D3 and Pandaria :bz :bz

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Super Smash Bros by this Holiday Season? I'm betting so.

I'm betting not, since Sakurai loves cramming as much stuff in his games as possible. I'm still baffled a Kid Icarus game has 40 hours plus of content.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

That guarantees I buy the game. Offline mode? Split screen coop with my wife? Real money auction house is gone?

This is the Diablo 3 I wanted.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

In what way? I mean, it's a great game, no doubt, one of the best. But it's hardly breaking the mold. If anything, it was a step back in design from Sunshine due to hardware limitations.

Aegeri wrote: »

I'm betting not, since Sakurai loves cramming as much stuff in his games as possible. I'm still baffled a Kid Icarus game has 40 hours plus of content.

That guarantees I buy the game. Offline mode? Split screen coop with my wife? Real money auction house is gone?

Can we PC gamers get it too, would be nice. *Looks at his CE version* Blah.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The RMAH was never a problem for me in Diablo 3. It being present or not, either way is fine. But the game being offline on the consoles? Fuck you Blizzard, that's just mockery.

The_Scarab wrote: »

In what way? I mean, it's a great game, no doubt, one of the best. But it's hardly breaking the mold. If anything, it was a step back in design from Sunshine due to hardware limitations.

Since I don't want to get into a whole system warz debate, I'm just going to say that the whole gravity aspect and change of scenery was big part of making it feel unique at least to me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited March 2013

All that, and to be honest? I bet it plays better with the immediacy of a controller. But who knows. Some of the aiming dynamics will have to be re-worked, but I've always felt that ARPG's could stand to experiment more with a more direct control scheme ever since I played Shadowgrounds (not an ARPG, but still).

subedii on
    Henroid wrote: »
    The RMAH was never a problem for me in Diablo 3. It being present or not, either way is fine. But the game being offline on the consoles? Fuck you Blizzard, that's just mockery.

Even Blizzard has admitted the RMAH has become a problem with people "farming it" instead of monsters and are looking to try and fix things but said it can't be removed. The why no one said but we all know why.

It was one of the few platformers that ever really explored spherical spaces for one. They made some pretty decent leaps in level design there.

Also it was amazingly the first 3d Mario to actually bring back power-up concepts from the 2d games. Mario 64 had the wing cap and two useless other caps. Sunshine had the hover nozzle and two useless other nozzles. Galaxy brought back the classic powerups (finally) and added some unique suits that were actually decent and not just used to solve one very specific puzzle (and I use "puzzle" loosely).

Also Sunshine sucked :P

I just love how consoles get a superior version of the same game, solely because the always online requirement is gone. Considering that it also has a feature I really want in split screen coop, which if I can get my wife into the game is going to be a huge deal for me I am feeling really happy about this. I would never have bought the PC version but I will be all over this one. Hopefully the next Xbox will get it, but if that console is always online that can go stuff itself: Thankfully the PS4 will totally be there if I want it.

I have to wonder how the DRM defense brigade is going to react to this.

Since I don't want to get into a whole system warz debate, I'm just going to say that the whole gravity aspect and change of scenery was big part of making it feel unique at least to me.

Oh it's not system wars. Galaxy is a superb game but I feel its strengths are in refining old mechanics and using them in interesting ways. I mean, when you boil it down, the game is about jumping on platforms to collect stars, which has been a staple of the series since the bay of pigs. If anything, the game moves back from the more cohesive world of Sunshine to a more abstract, floating in space sort of affair.

Cade wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Even Blizzard has admitted the RMAH has become a problem with people "farming it" instead of monsters and are looking to try and fix things but said it can't be removed. The why no one said but we all know why.

The thing is, everyone and their little dog too told Blizzard that this was exactly what was going to happen.

Blizzard just ignored them.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    II have to wonder how the DRM defense brigade is going to react to this.

Most pirated game of all time, clearly.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    [quote="Aegeri;26195268"I have to wonder how the DRM defense brigade is going to react to this.[/quote]

I probably shouldn't ask, but... is there really a DRM defense brigade? Outside of the companies themselves, of course.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I probably shouldn't ask, but... is there really a DRM defense brigade? Outside of the companies themselves, of course.

Yes - you can see them most clearly at the moment in the "SimCity being 100% online is totally cool because of the 'developer's vision'!" section of the forum.

Elvenshae on
    edited March 2013

Not in the literal sense. But every time a game crops up with online-only requirements that are pretty blatantly to do with DRM (c.f. SimCity), they crop up and start yelling about how stupid you are for treating it that way because you would never treat WoW that way and it's totally the same thing... or arguments to that effect.

subedii on
    edited March 2013
    Yes there is, subedii covered it above but they basically argued tooth and nail (and against all logic) that the game was an MMO. It didn't matter that you could easily have single player characters saved locally and use blizzards servers for multiplayer characters (much like what they do now).

I mean as an Australian, I can tell you now that even without any RMAH or cheating or any other nonsense like that, nothing is more important to me than being offline. The fact I won't be slugged with 300-450ms of lag when playing by my fucking self, is a huge deal for me as I pretty much find Diablo utterly boring without hardcore mode on. Hardcore mode where one server lag error or your Internet going down can cost you hours of progress instantly due to the always online DRM.

So this makes Diablo 3 on consoles a must buy for me, because I still really want the game and think it looks great fun. Especially if they adopt many of the changes I have read about over the past near year or so of feedback. I would not be surprised to see the console versions sell gazillions as well and I have to say, I hope they crush the always online DRM PC version in sales. Nothing would be better to see for me then that.

Aegeri on
    edited March 2013
    [quote="Aegeri;26195268"I have to wonder how the DRM defense brigade is going to react to this.

I probably shouldn't ask, but... is there really a DRM defense brigade? Outside of the companies themselves, of course.[/quote]

The games industry is going to have to reconcile with DRM at some point. We're reaching a kind of DRM singularity where it becomes an inevitability. Budgets are exploding and piracy is rampant. Games are becoming monolithic and year after year more games 'bomb' by being swamped by the biggest of big hitters.

There's not so much of a DRM defense force as there is a 'shitty DRM attack brigade'. If we're going to have to swallow this shit then the least these companies can do is not fuck us over in the process.

Steam, for example, is DRM done right. And I'd argue there is a huge amount of support for Steam here and elsewhere, despite its flaws.

The_Scarab on
    Yeah don't get me wrong, I love steam and I like it because it offers numerous advantages to the consumer despite being DRM. It's the shit that Diablo 3 and recently Sim City pulled that I dislike.

subedii wrote: »

Not in the literal sense. But every time a game crops up with online-only requirements that are pretty blatantly to do with DRM (c.f. SimCity), they crop up and start yelling about how stupid you are for treating it that way because you would never treat WoW that way and it's totally the same thing... or arguments to that effect.

Personally I am generally ok with that stuff, but if you're going to require always online, it really should work :P

For what it's worth, I actually did enjoy the online features of Diablo 3, as someone who generally does not like online stuff. Being able to have friends drop into a single player game was pretty great. That being said, the auction house did really destroy the endgame there.

edited March 2013

The games industry is going to have to reconcile with DRM at some point. We're reaching a kind of DRM singularity where it becomes an inevitability. Budgets are exploding and piracy is rampant. Games are becoming monolithic and year after year more games 'bomb' by being swamped by the biggest of big hitters.

There's not so much of a DRM defense force as there is a 'shitty DRM attack brigade'. If we're going to have to swallow this shit then the least these companies can do is not fuck us over in the process.

Steam, for example, is DRM done right. And I'd argue there is a huge amount of support for Steam here and elsewhere, despite its flaws.

Believe me, I'd happily take GOG over Steam any day. But as you say, Steam at least does it in a fashion where when I get disconnected from the internet (or simply want to game on the laptop), it doesn't matter. I play my games offline all the freaking time, and I'm happy to be able to. And as far as systems go, Steam offers a ridiculous number of features that make good use of online functionality when you do go online, to the point where it feels like added value instead of a freaking ball-and-chain. Everyone else pretends they're adding in value, but it's all lip service and almost never any actual content..

subedii on
This discussion has been closed.