As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    How is that ad absurd, again? I realize it makes sense for US, as gamers, but to the common folk it might actually help. Or is that just Kotaku being Kotaku? (I don't ever go to the site... I find it incredibly ugly to read)

Well, there's people that think Wii U just sounds like an additional product to the Wii (be it consumers or analysts or people like me), and it's pretty understandable since the name is innocuous. But the feature listing isn't self-evident either. "Uses the Wii U controller." What does that mean for people who don't understand?

It points out the tablet they've seen is a WiiU only device.

Well what I mean to say is does the general populace see the Wii U as a new console or do they see it as something like the Kinect - something that's a bonus to the thing they already have, and since they already have it and it plays games just fine, they don't need it.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here obviously but I mean, the sales for the Wii U have just fallen on their ass. Something has gotta give.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Didn't Sony do something similar to inform people why the PS3 was better than every other gaming platform? And we all mocked them for that?

The key difference here is Nintendo is at least comparing its previous product to its new one. Sony doing that (I don't remember it) is a move of arrogance rather than a response to consumer confusion.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    I wish I could have attended the GDC - my school project now is this ten-week humdinger of a report for [A certain game developer] and what it should consider genre-wise, design-wise etc. to successfully attract many users to a mobile game and then get them on a microtransaction train while keeping them satisfied and entertained (so no Zynga-like cognitive/behaviorist malarky).

Is this for business classes? I've done similar reports on THQ (hah!), EA, and Nintendo in the past. They're fun, and it is interesting watching what happens if they happen to go down the path that you recommend in your report.
    Not that they're listening, you know, just by chance.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The fact that they need that chart is stupid and they should have really thought about a new name, but the chart itself isn't that stupid. Standard marketing, actually.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The feel of PAX used to be like no other. Back when the only people who knew about it were Penny-Arcade fans.

I am NOT accusing you of this, but it sounds like such a hipster attitude, the whole "Man, it was better when no one knew about it" thing. Which is highly amusing to me.

Also, the full game of X-COM coming to iOS is insane.

Fawst on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't see why you can't be accusing scarab of being hipster, since that is exactly what he is doing.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Didn't Sony do something similar to inform people why the PS3 was better than every other gaming platform? And we all mocked them for that?

Yep. Pretty much at the height of "$599 lol," so feel of that Nintendo checklist is even more awful.

Oh, and this is just an FYI rather than a attempt at sparking discussion, but Kotaku's design sucks less now. (Though you'll have to click "latest posts" at the top for it to be 100% useful. Don't ask. Just... don't.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    How about some video game industry news?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189203/US_Judge_rules_Xbox_does_not_violate_Motorolas_patents.php
    Although it looked like Motorola Mobility's lawsuit against Microsoft over alleged patent infringements would end badly for the Xbox company, the tides have now turned and a judge has cleared Microsoft of any infringement.

U.S. International Trade Commission Judge David Shaw ruled last year that Microsoft's Xbox 360 console had infringed on four of Motorola's patents, including video decoding and wi-fi technology from the company.

The judge even went as far as to recommend a ban on the sale of the Xbox 360 S console in the U.S.

However, a full commission board asked Shaw to revisit the case. Meanwhile Motorola Mobility parent Google dropped most of the claims after reaching an agreement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

Now Shaw has ruled in favor of Microsoft over the final claim, reports Bloomberg, stating in a brief filing [PDF] that a violation has not occurred in the way that the Xbox console communicates with its accessories.

As with the first time around, a commission board will now review Shaw's findings to determine whether any follow-up action is required.

David Howard, Microsoft's corporate vice president and deputy general counsel, said in a statement, "We are pleased with the Administrative Law Judge's finding that Microsoft did not violate Motorola's patent and are confident that this determination will be affirmed by the Commission."

A spokesperson for Google said that the company is disappointed with the ruling, and is eagerly awaiting the review of the full commission.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    I wish I could have attended the GDC - my school project now is this ten-week humdinger of a report for [A certain game developer] and what it should consider genre-wise, design-wise etc. to successfully attract many users to a mobile game and then get them on a microtransaction train while keeping them satisfied and entertained (so no Zynga-like cognitive/behaviorist malarky).

Is this for business classes? I've done similar reports on THQ (hah!), EA, and Nintendo in the past. They're fun, and it is interesting watching what happens if they happen to go down the path that you recommend in your report.
    Not that they're listening, you know, just by chance.

The class is called media management. Not that I am asking to see your work, but if you can remeber anything about where you started off to gather resources and information on, say, the games industry or games design, you can PM me at any time. I just started off, so I am not in dire straits or anything.

Absalon on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I don't see why you can't be accusing scarab of being hipster, since that is exactly what he is doing.

Because its not quite the same.

The 'hipster' that dislikes an album that got popular is silly because the album itself didn't change, but the expansion and generalization of the audience of PAX actually might have changed PAX because the attendees make the show. Just like if that 'hipster' doesn't like the live shows for that album anymore because the experience has changed with the influx of a different audience of fans.

(just to be sure, I'm not saying PAX has changed, just saying it very well could have)

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Henroid wrote: »

The key difference here is Nintendo is at least comparing its previous product to its new one. Sony doing that (I don't remember it) is a move of arrogance rather than a response to consumer confusion.

Yeah, as I recall too a lot of the comparisons were really stupid. Like I think they touted backwards compatibility (you know, before they removed most of it), pretending that 360 had none and I think maybe forgetting Wii had GC BC. It also bitched that you had to buy a lot of stuff extra for their competitors, like more controllers or something (it bordered on the gold chalice & hookers GBA/GC comic). It was ridiculous.

Edit: Found it I think (there may be another one floating around out there):
    ps3-360-wii.jpg

Love the bragging about how it supports a higher version of HDMI :)

There's also a ridiculous one comparing Move to Kinect & Wii :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    In which dimension did that graphic originate?

edited March 2013
    In which dimension did that graphic originate?

The same dimension where people work extra jobs to afford $600 PS3s without games.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I got my X-box with the 250 gig HD and Kinect for $400, I guess is what I'm getting at.
    I had no idea that the PS3 dropped in price enough that the 120G HD is down to $300.
    That's really the main point I was trying to convey.

This was a while ago IIRC... Wasn't it early last year? Man this past few years have really blurred together.

edited March 2013
    I think that graphic was dated 2009 actually... It's been $300 for awhile. Clearly before they started bundling the HDMI cables with the systems (did Sony ever start? I know Microsoft did first with the Elite and then later with everything)

Warlock82 on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I bought my new-slim PS3 about 5 months ago, and it only came with composite A/V cables.

Clearly this generation lifespan has hindered my memory.

Three years ago was when I got mine.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Fewer games are including any form of multiplayer.
    “You can see that in 2006, one year into the release of the Xbox 360 and the launch year of the PlayStation 3, 67% of the games had online multiplayer, 58% had offline multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer,” Geoffrey Zatkin, the Chief Operating Officer of EEDAR, told the Report. “By 2012, you can see that only 42% have online multiplayer, a drop of 25%, 44% have offline multiplayer, a drop of 14%, and 41% have no multiplayer, a rise of 16%. So, over time, fewer and fewer high definition console games are including multiplayer as part of their core offering.”

Cade on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Cade wrote: »
    Fewer games are including any form of multiplayer.

“You can see that in 2006, one year into the release of the Xbox 360 and the launch year of the PlayStation 3, 67% of the games had online multiplayer, 58% had offline multiplayer and 28% had no multiplayer,” Geoffrey Zatkin, the Chief Operating Officer of EEDAR, told the Report. “By 2012, you can see that only 42% have online multiplayer, a drop of 25%, 44% have offline multiplayer, a drop of 14%, and 41% have no multiplayer, a rise of 16%. So, over time, fewer and fewer high definition console games are including multiplayer as part of their core offering.”

How many games have only multiplayer? Its great we are seeing a few more sensibilities in not shoehorning multiplayer into games. However theres this trend being pushed lately in separating multiplayer components from the game to sell as additional content.

Ziggymon on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Yikes, can you edit that quote. I removed the graph because yeah....too big.

But it's good to see that it's not being shoved into every game just because that eats up valuable time that would be best served on a full single player experience.

Yikes, can you edit that quote. I removed the graph because yeah....too big.

But it's good to see that it's not being shoved into every game just because that eats up valuable time that would be best served on a full single player experience.

Edited,

Well the obvious examples of Shoe horned multiplayer for me are Bioshock 2 and Metroid Prime 2. Both as you say ate up time and resources for a worthless bulletpoint. I will say though that from my experiences in retail that from the time of 2005-2010 at least most consumers wouldn't even look at a game that didn't have a multiplayer component simply because they didn't see it as being worth the £50/$60 price point.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The recent Tomb Raider is funny about this. Everyone seems to want more tombs and singleplayer content, but Crystal Dynamics said they had no plans for it and additional content will be multiplayer. Is it because it's more lucrative to chum out some MP maps rather than building new SP content and all the related assets, even if less people are interested (which I don't actually know is true for the whole population of people who bought the game)?

Zxerol wrote: »
    The recent Tomb Raider is funny about this. Everyone seems to want more tombs and singleplayer content, but Crystal Dynamics said they had no plans for it and additional content will be multiplayer. Is it because it's more lucrative to chum out some MP maps rather than building new SP content and all the related assets, even if less people are interested (which I don't actually know is true for the whole population of people who bought the game)?

Well actually you will be right. SE and Crystal Dynamics will be desperate to have a successful multiplayer game out of a franchise like Tomb Raider as if you get a sustainable audience for multiplayer can equal big money. Also adding additional content to multiplayer is so much cheaper to produce and can break even far faster. In an age where you can sell 4 maps for $10+ against a single player DLC that would require new assets, art design, voice acting etc.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    “By 2012, you can see that only 42% have online multiplayer, a drop of 25%, 44% have offline multiplayer, a drop of 14%, and 41% have no multiplayer, a rise of 16%. So, over time, fewer and fewer high definition console games are including multiplayer as part of their core offering.”
    [/quote]

am I just being dumb or does that add up to 127%

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Some games have both online and offline multiplayer?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    you can have offline and online MP in the same game.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo's new, relaxed restrictions for eShop indies
    One rule that kept some indie developers off of WiiWare and DSiWare was that Nintendo required its developers to have a physical office space. That rule is "a thing of the past," eShop business development manager Dan Adelman told Gamasutra. It was originally in place to make sure dev kits and confidential information was kept secure.

"More and more people are working from home, and we recognize that developers are forming virtual teams around the world," Adelman said, so it became necessary to reevaluate the rule to make the Wii U and 3DS eShops more attractive to indie developers. "We really have only a few requirements to sign up as a licensed developer with Nintendo," he summarized. "The most notable ones are that you have to have some experience making games, you have to be able to keep any confidential materials like dev kits secure and you have to form a company. None of these should be prohibitive to any indie developer." Furthermore, becoming a licensed developer lets you release your games on the eShop anywhere in the Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe regions.

In other welcome news, the sales threshold – which kept developers from earning any money on their games until they'd sold 6,000 units – is also gone. Originally conceived as a measure to force developers to "self-police their own game quality" in the absence of publishers, it led to unintended consequences. "The threshold was thought to be a convenient way to go about it," Adelman explained. "Unfortunately, some great games that just didn't find an audience wound up being penalized. So for all systems after WiiWare -- DSiWare, Nintendo 3DS eShop, and Wii U eShop, we decided to get rid of the thresholds altogether. Developers receive revenue from unit 1."

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited March 2013
    skeldare wrote: »
    Nintendo's new, relaxed restrictions for eShop indies
    One rule that kept some indie developers off of WiiWare and DSiWare was that Nintendo required its developers to have a physical office space. That rule is "a thing of the past," eShop business development manager Dan Adelman told Gamasutra. It was originally in place to make sure dev kits and confidential information was kept secure.

"More and more people are working from home, and we recognize that developers are forming virtual teams around the world," Adelman said, so it became necessary to reevaluate the rule to make the Wii U and 3DS eShops more attractive to indie developers. "We really have only a few requirements to sign up as a licensed developer with Nintendo," he summarized. "The most notable ones are that you have to have some experience making games, you have to be able to keep any confidential materials like dev kits secure and you have to form a company. None of these should be prohibitive to any indie developer." Furthermore, becoming a licensed developer lets you release your games on the eShop anywhere in the Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe regions.

In other welcome news, the sales threshold – which kept developers from earning any money on their games until they'd sold 6,000 units – is also gone. Originally conceived as a measure to force developers to "self-police their own game quality" in the absence of publishers, it led to unintended consequences. "The threshold was thought to be a convenient way to go about it," Adelman explained. "Unfortunately, some great games that just didn't find an audience wound up being penalized. So for all systems after WiiWare -- DSiWare, Nintendo 3DS eShop, and Wii U eShop, we decided to get rid of the thresholds altogether. Developers receive revenue from unit 1."

I think this is going to really be a boon for them in the future. I'll be curious to see if Microsoft in particular fixes their backward-ass restrictions for the next Xbox as well. (seriously, they don't even let devs patch their games)

Warlock82 on
    Microsoft would let you patch your game. You just had to pay them $40k, or something like that, and get it all re-certified all over again.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    While PAX is fair game for discussion as a growing part of the industry, we're not doing this ridiculous "PAX sold out maaaaan" crap.

YL9WnCY.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Guys, guys. This is the funniest PS3 chart. Have you forgotten so soon?

whataps3cando1qt4.jpg

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Encouraging to see Nintendo lower barriers to entry on the eShop for small teams. I couldn't believe they originally refused to let the Inchworm Animation team/guy develop for 3DS for that reason; it seems like one of the most interesting things DSiware had going for it.

I think the eShop could really thrive with more unique, small offerings and low cost impulse buys like Gunman Clive. Assuming they can maintain some kind of quality control, which they haven't exactly proven with DSi ware.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Guys, guys. This is the funniest PS3 chart. Have you forgotten so soon?

whataps3cando1qt4.jpg

CD player.

BOOM!

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Are you guys telling me you didn't use your PS3 to store and view photos? You're missing out!

Corpekata on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    It sure saved me a bundle on buying a separate wireless motion controller.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah, but that diamond encrusted chalice really erases that price advantage.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Are you guys telling me you didn't carry your PS3 with a car battery and an inverter to play mp3s? You're missing out!

I wish I could find the post where I used that chart and Nyquil to prove that 1 PS3 equals 2 PS3s.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    How do you separately purchase "remote PSP connectivity"?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.