As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

1888991939497

Posts

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Some sales thoughts:

    I don't think Bioshock Infinite's problem is the burning flag, I think it's the fact that you literally don't get into an action sequence for nearly an hour, and there's more walking around than fighting in the first half. Personally I really dug the game, but the dudebros this cover was aimed for would be bored to tears.

    The Wii U has a SERIOUS problem. Sure, the emergency price drop turned the 3DS around, but that system never sold as horribly as the Wii U. Unless something drastic happens in the next month or two I think the stench of failure may be impossible to remove from it.

    Speaking of stench of failure, the Vita sold less than 7,000 per week? Good goddamn. That system's utterly fucked at this point.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Man. If Bioshock Infinite did that well in such a short time and 2K hasn't even made a peep about it still, that's not good for the future of the franchise.

    What were their rumored costs again? ~100 million development and ~100 million solely for advertising?

    If true... yeah. Exactly what I predicted would happen. Wouldn't matter how much it sold, it will never be enough.

    Yeah, those were the rumored costs, but not the actual costs.

    I have no idea if 2K needs to say anything positive about Bioshock Infinite's sales. They never released projections as far as I know, and we have no idea what it's budget is besides less than $200 million. However, I do love the jumping to doom saying almost instantly based off of false rumors, a game that sold well for only being out for 6 days, and a lack of gloating.

    They boasted pretty hard when Borderlands 2 sold well. Hell, they even said they were happy with XCOM: Enemy Unknown's numbers. It is really strange that they are being silent especially when you frame it that way.

    I may be wrong, but what the christ did they think was going to happen when they spent more advertising then it would cost to make a whole extra game?

    That fact has already been debunked several times. On this page even. The marketing budget was nowhere near what was estimated.

    Was it? All we got was Levine snarking at the $200 million number. Hell, he could be working on the assumption that people thought it made $200 to make, not market. And even if it's not $100 million, given the frequency the ads are popping up the marketing must still be enormous compared to the average game. Hell, maybe even the average blockbuster.

    It really is telling that 2K isn't bragging about Infinite's sales when they're quick to brag about other sales.

    That number literally came from an unnamed analyst speculating that he thought the game cost about $100m to develop, and then using the "so if we go by the mantra that you spend the same amount on marketing" assumption, to reach $200m. Which is now quoted as fact until 2K come out and show their birth certificate financial reports. It's about as baseless as going to VG Chartz, and yet, here we are.

    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Man. If Bioshock Infinite did that well in such a short time and 2K hasn't even made a peep about it still, that's not good for the future of the franchise.

    What were their rumored costs again? ~100 million development and ~100 million solely for advertising?

    If true... yeah. Exactly what I predicted would happen. Wouldn't matter how much it sold, it will never be enough.

    Yeah, those were the rumored costs, but not the actual costs.

    I have no idea if 2K needs to say anything positive about Bioshock Infinite's sales. They never released projections as far as I know, and we have no idea what it's budget is besides less than $200 million. However, I do love the jumping to doom saying almost instantly based off of false rumors, a game that sold well for only being out for 6 days, and a lack of gloating.

    They boasted pretty hard when Borderlands 2 sold well. Hell, they even said they were happy with XCOM: Enemy Unknown's numbers. It is really strange that they are being silent especially when you frame it that way.

    I may be wrong, but what the christ did they think was going to happen when they spent more advertising then it would cost to make a whole extra game?

    That fact has already been debunked several times. On this page even. The marketing budget was nowhere near what was estimated.

    Was it? All we got was Levine snarking at the $200 million number. Hell, he could be working on the assumption that people thought it made $200 to make, not market. And even if it's not $100 million, given the frequency the ads are popping up the marketing must still be enormous compared to the average game. Hell, maybe even the average blockbuster.

    It really is telling that 2K isn't bragging about Infinite's sales when they're quick to brag about other sales.

    That number literally came from an unnamed analyst speculating that he thought the game cost about $100m to develop, and then using the "so if we go by the mantra that you spend the same amount on marketing" assumption, to reach $200m. Which is now quoted as fact until 2K come out and show their birth certificate financial reports. It's about as baseless as going to VG Chartz, and yet, here we are.

    Oh, sure. But given the lavish nature of the game, its long and troubled development cycle and the omnipresent ads, the total spend has got to be pretty damn big even if it's not $200 million.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It has, I agree, but we have precisely no idea what that number is. We also don't know (I presume?) how well it sold on Steam and any other digital platforms, or how it'll fare this month. I figure that all the critical acclaim it's had since launch will extend its tail beyond the usual first-week blowout that we're used to.

    forumsig.png
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd probably wait before calling their ad campaign a right move

    We've seen their ad campaigns before
    It'll just be the bald guy from the reveal and a ps4 logo

    you say THE bald guy as if there was only one. The reveal event was a parade of bald dudes.

    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    It has, I agree, but we have precisely no idea what that number is. We also don't know (I presume?) how well it sold on Steam and any other digital platforms, or how it'll fare this month. I figure that all the critical acclaim it's had since launch will extend its tail beyond the usual first-week blowout that we're used to.

    Hm. Honest question, how much of a tail did the first Bioshock have?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Wii U has a SERIOUS problem. Sure, the emergency price drop turned the 3DS around, but that system never sold as horribly as the Wii U. Unless something drastic happens in the next month or two I think the stench of failure may be impossible to remove from it.

    Speaking of stench of failure, the Vita sold less than 7,000 per week? Good goddamn. That system's utterly fucked at this point.

    I want a Wii U. I just can't justify spending $350 on a console for....uh, what, exactly? I loved Bayonetta and absolutely want to play Bayonetta 2, but unless there's more games....yeah....

    As for the Vita, man, why does no one want this thing? My (former) best friend has one and after dicking around with it awhile back I decided I want one. Maybe the whole remote play thing with PS4 will help sales.

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kazoo wrote: »
    As for the Vita, man, why does no one want this thing? My (former) best friend has one and after dicking around with it awhile back I decided I want one. Maybe the whole remote play thing with PS4 will help sales.

    Seems there's really not a market for a hardcore portable dedicated to gaming, especially not one that costs $250. Sure, there's good games for it (there's good games for every system), but if the market's not there, it's not there. Doubly true now that the general market seems to have written it off as a failure.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Some sales thoughts:

    I don't think Bioshock Infinite's problem is the burning flag, I think it's the fact that you literally don't get into an action sequence for nearly an hour, and there's more walking around than fighting in the first half. Personally I really dug the game, but the dudebros this cover was aimed for would be bored to tears.

    Is that really preventing sales though? The only ones bored to tears already paid up...

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Some sales thoughts:

    I don't think Bioshock Infinite's problem is the burning flag, I think it's the fact that you literally don't get into an action sequence for nearly an hour, and there's more walking around than fighting in the first half. Personally I really dug the game, but the dudebros this cover was aimed for would be bored to tears.

    Is that really preventing sales though? The only ones bored to tears already paid up...

    It would probably put a damper on word of mouth for the large segment of the market whose knowledge of releases outside of Madden and CoD is pretty shaky.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kazoo wrote: »
    As for the Vita, man, why does no one want this thing? My (former) best friend has one and after dicking around with it awhile back I decided I want one. Maybe the whole remote play thing with PS4 will help sales.

    Seems there's really not a market for a hardcore portable dedicated to gaming, especially not one that costs $250. Sure, there's good games for it (there's good games for every system), but if the market's not there, it's not there. Doubly true now that the general market seems to have written it off as a failure.

    Price could definitely be a big part of it. I wonder what would happen if Sony dropped it to $200? At any rate, they're selling at least one in June. Happy father's day me!

  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    That's what they said about the Microsoft-funded GTA IV episodes, until they weren't anymore.

    "Exclusive" usually comes with an expiration date.

    This isn't just an "exclusive", though. Nintendo is actually the publisher of record. It's certainly possible that another company can publish the game on other platforms, but it's going to depend heavily on the details of the contract.

    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Some sales thoughts:

    I don't think Bioshock Infinite's problem is the burning flag, I think it's the fact that you literally don't get into an action sequence for nearly an hour, and there's more walking around than fighting in the first half. Personally I really dug the game, but the dudebros this cover was aimed for would be bored to tears.

    Is that really preventing sales though? The only ones bored to tears already paid up...

    It would probably put a damper on word of mouth for the large segment of the market whose knowledge of releases outside of Madden and CoD is pretty shaky.

    And that is why marketing your product as something it's not is a dumb idea. I keep waiting for movie/game/etc. marketers to get this message, and they never do.

    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    There've been plenty of Vita sales at $200 (espcially around the holiday season), so I don't think that's the price that saves the system. The release schedule for new vita games is pretty dire (there's some real gems in there, but it's all few and far between).

    Fixing that means unit sales, but even then studios aren't going to retool their development back towards the Vita until they see the sales. Which leads back to "people aren't buying them due to the poor release schedule".

  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It has, I agree, but we have precisely no idea what that number is. We also don't know (I presume?) how well it sold on Steam and any other digital platforms, or how it'll fare this month. I figure that all the critical acclaim it's had since launch will extend its tail beyond the usual first-week blowout that we're used to.

    Hm. Honest question, how much of a tail did the first Bioshock have?

    I have no idea, would have to look up a source on that.

    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only appreciable sales climb for the Vita happened because of the Amazon sale last black Friday.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Wii U needs more ports. The system started off fine last year with AC3, CODBLOPS2, B: AC, and Sonic Racing. Then Christmas passed. No Tomb Raider, no Bioshock, no Metal Gear Rising, no Far Cry 3, no DMC. Correct me if I'm wrong but Injustice is the first port of a decent game in the last five months.

  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Chances are people who would want those games already had a 360 or a PS3 so why bother buying a new system for a port?

  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Bioshock is still being advertised at a rate of about 1 ad per break on every major sporting event and anything that hits the 18-30 demo.

    It's all over the London Underground, as well.

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Chances are people who would want those games already had a 360 or a PS3 so why bother buying a new system for a port?

    Because the Wii had a reputation of not having a decent M-rated catalog.

  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    the Wii U will basically continue that tradition this generation because nobody is going to want to back port to a weaker system where it is perceived that third party titles don't sell

  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Bioshock is still being advertised at a rate of about 1 ad per break on every major sporting event and anything that hits the 18-30 demo.

    It's all over the London Underground, as well.

    The song from the commercial has been stuck in my head for weeks now and the entire thing will play out in there even if I skip past it. It's always the first or last commercial in the break too.

    100 million might be low balling this ad campaign. It's insidious.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kazoo wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Wii U has a SERIOUS problem. Sure, the emergency price drop turned the 3DS around, but that system never sold as horribly as the Wii U. Unless something drastic happens in the next month or two I think the stench of failure may be impossible to remove from it.

    Speaking of stench of failure, the Vita sold less than 7,000 per week? Good goddamn. That system's utterly fucked at this point.

    I want a Wii U. I just can't justify spending $350 on a console for....uh, what, exactly? I loved Bayonetta and absolutely want to play Bayonetta 2, but unless there's more games....yeah....

    You're in luck. There are.

  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    the Wii U will basically continue that tradition this generation because nobody is going to want to back port to a weaker system where it is perceived that third party titles don't sell

    Especially if no one has actually purchased the system. How many Wii Us are estimated to be actually owned at this point?

    So, are the plans for this system still "Wind Waker HD"?

    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Heavy Rain proves games aren't that expensive to make, turn big profits when publishers are realistic
    Quantic Dream's Guillaume de Fondaumiere revealed to a Digital Dragons audience in Poland today that PlayStation 3 exclusive Heavy Rain cost just €16.7 million to make - even with all those emotional polygons stuffed in.

    With Sony's marketing and distribution on top, the total spend looked something like €40 million. But, Fondaumiere said, "Sony earned more than €100 million with this game. It's very profitable."

    His point, and he used the commercial successes of Journey to aid it - he doesn't know how much that game cost but he knows it made money - was that, "We should stop thinking that innovation rhymes with unprofitable." Heavy Rain, in other words, was more than a vanity project for Sony
    .

    I like how "€40 million" is an example of "not that expensive."

    Back when Ubisoft announced that its average Xbox360 or PS3 cost $20M to develop and generally got as much or more than $20M to market, it was big news in the industry about rapidly rising development/publishing costs.

    When Lost Planet was announced to have spent about $40M on development and marketing, that was also considered a "big deal" in the "omg costs of games are rising really fast this gen!!"

    €40 is what like just over $50M? Games are that expensive to make...

  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Man. If Bioshock Infinite did that well in such a short time and 2K hasn't even made a peep about it still, that's not good for the future of the franchise.

    What were their rumored costs again? ~100 million development and ~100 million solely for advertising?

    If true... yeah. Exactly what I predicted would happen. Wouldn't matter how much it sold, it will never be enough.

    Yeah, those were the rumored costs, but not the actual costs.

    I have no idea if 2K needs to say anything positive about Bioshock Infinite's sales. They never released projections as far as I know, and we have no idea what it's budget is besides less than $200 million. However, I do love the jumping to doom saying almost instantly based off of false rumors, a game that sold well for only being out for 6 days, and a lack of gloating.

    They boasted pretty hard when Borderlands 2 sold well. Hell, they even said they were happy with XCOM: Enemy Unknown's numbers. It is really strange that they are being silent especially when you frame it that way.

    I may be wrong, but what the christ did they think was going to happen when they spent more advertising then it would cost to make a whole extra game?

    That fact has already been debunked several times. On this page even. The marketing budget was nowhere near what was estimated.

    Was it? All we got was Levine snarking at the $200 million number. Hell, he could be working on the assumption that people thought it made $200 to make, not market. And even if it's not $100 million, given the frequency the ads are popping up the marketing must still be enormous compared to the average game. Hell, maybe even the average blockbuster.

    It really is telling that 2K isn't bragging about Infinite's sales when they're quick to brag about other sales.

    That number literally came from an unnamed analyst speculating that he thought the game cost about $100m to develop, and then using the "so if we go by the mantra that you spend the same amount on marketing" assumption, to reach $200m. Which is now quoted as fact until 2K come out and show their birth certificate financial reports. It's about as baseless as going to VG Chartz, and yet, here we are.

    Oh, sure. But given the lavish nature of the game, its long and troubled development cycle and the omnipresent ads, the total spend has got to be pretty damn big even if it's not $200 million.

    Remember this ? coverstory1_6_21.jpg

    That's the old Joey Harrington 10-storey Times Square ad from 2001. They had one of those for BIO: INFINITE, too. That alone may have cost $100 Million.

  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the time when NYC is once again coated from ground to rooftop in GTA ads?

  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    the Wii U will basically continue that tradition this generation because nobody is going to want to back port to a weaker system where it is perceived that third party titles don't sell

    Especially if no one has actually purchased the system. How many Wii Us are estimated to be actually owned at this point?

    So, are the plans for this system still "Wind Waker HD"?

    That's my question. I've been sorta out of the loop on the Wii U for a while. What does Nintendo have in the cards to turn this thing around, because it seems to going pretty badly so far.

    If Wind Waker HD and a sequel to a game that didn't sell well enough to get a sequel are all that are in the cards right now, that's not a good sign. I mean, it could be they're holding back until E3, but there doesn't seem to be anything they're doing to prepare for the shitstorm that will be having competition this fall. Is there any announced plans I'm missing?

    No I don't.
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Kazoo wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Wii U has a SERIOUS problem. Sure, the emergency price drop turned the 3DS around, but that system never sold as horribly as the Wii U. Unless something drastic happens in the next month or two I think the stench of failure may be impossible to remove from it.

    Speaking of stench of failure, the Vita sold less than 7,000 per week? Good goddamn. That system's utterly fucked at this point.

    I want a Wii U. I just can't justify spending $350 on a console for....uh, what, exactly? I loved Bayonetta and absolutely want to play Bayonetta 2, but unless there's more games....yeah....

    You're in luck. There are.

    I believe Kazoo is rationalizing it the way I am:

    I loved Bayonetta. I want Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta 2 is the only WiiU exclusive I'm interested in playing. I will not buy a WiiU just to play Bayonetta 2, and I don't care for any of other Nintendo's exclusives. As for ports from other consoles... well, I can just buy for the consoles I already have, why would I want to buy them for the WiiU?

    Ergo, when it comes down to the sheer economics of it, I will not buy a WiiU just for one game.

  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Wii U needs more ports. The system started off fine last year with AC3, CODBLOPS2, B: AC, and Sonic Racing. Then Christmas passed. No Tomb Raider, no Bioshock, no Metal Gear Rising, no Far Cry 3, no DMC. Correct me if I'm wrong but Injustice is the first port of a decent game in the last five months.

    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U was released like a week before Bioshock Infinite. Sales were abysmal, but it's definitely a port of a great game.

    Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Wii U needs more ports. The system started off fine last year with AC3, CODBLOPS2, B: AC, and Sonic Racing. Then Christmas passed. No Tomb Raider, no Bioshock, no Metal Gear Rising, no Far Cry 3, no DMC. Correct me if I'm wrong but Injustice is the first port of a decent game in the last five months.

    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U was released like a week before Bioshock Infinite. Sales were abysmal, but it's definitely a port of a great game.

    It was also a delayed port. It needs same day releases. This isn't 1999, ports are released on the same day nowadays. It's the reason the WII U DE:HR:DC should be labeled the "I didn't ask for this" edition.

    No I don't.
  • Options
    SichoSicho Wellenstein, Luxembourg, EuropeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    the Wii U will basically continue that tradition this generation because nobody is going to want to back port to a weaker system where it is perceived that third party titles don't sell

    Especially if no one has actually purchased the system. How many Wii Us are estimated to be actually owned at this point?

    So, are the plans for this system still "Wind Waker HD"?

    That's my question. I've been sorta out of the loop on the Wii U for a while. What does Nintendo have in the cards to turn this thing around, because it seems to going pretty badly so far.

    If Wind Waker HD and a sequel to a game that didn't sell well enough to get a sequel are all that are in the cards right now, that's not a good sign. I mean, it could be they're holding back until E3, but there doesn't seem to be anything they're doing to prepare for the shitstorm that will be having competition this fall. Is there any announced plans I'm missing?

    why is everybody forgetting that Pikmin 3 is coming this summer? And that Nintendo announced like a lot of things besides Zelda and Wind Waker like the Fire Emblem Shin Megami Crossover, an new 3D Mario, a Yoshi Game and a new Monolith Software RPG.
    and why don't people consider LEGO City Undercover a Must-Have? (because it is, trust me!)
    and at E3 we will see Smash Bros and Mario Kart and Mario Kart alone could sell a bazillion units.
    And they still have one Ace in their sleeve: the Pokémon "Skylanders" Thingie! It will sell like tasty, hot chocolate cake!

    Sicho on
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Some sales thoughts:

    I don't think Bioshock Infinite's problem is the burning flag, I think it's the fact that you literally don't get into an action sequence for nearly an hour, and there's more walking around than fighting in the first half. Personally I really dug the game, but the dudebros this cover was aimed for would be bored to tears.

    Is that really preventing sales though? The only ones bored to tears already paid up...

    It would probably put a damper on word of mouth for the large segment of the market whose knowledge of releases outside of Madden and CoD is pretty shaky.

    And that is why marketing your product as something it's not is a dumb idea. I keep waiting for movie/game/etc. marketers to get this message, and they never do.

    Not necessarily. If you know you have a game that is deeper or weirder or way off base than what the average Joe wants, yet the savvy consumer already knows that it's what THEY want, if you advertise toward the average Joe, they might buy your product, increasing sales. The savvy is already buying it because they know what it is. Now, yes, some of the average Joes aren't into what you're selling, but they paid up. They can complain, but not all will complain and not all will hate it, some will even really love it. So you increase your market perhaps more.

    The only real downside would be if, say, Bioshock Infinite was a JRPG or RTS that was absolutely nothing like it was portrayed. It is still a game where you still shoot a ton of motherfuckers in a first person manner. They didn't lie about that. But if it was a true bait and switch, then you have a louder opposition. People can sit through something that is initially "boring" to get the the good stuff. There are TV shows that lasted for seasons as a testament to this fact. There are 10 plus volumes of book series that say this is truth.

    At the end of the day, they sold a interesting game, that is still a first person shooter filled with nasty violence, on the premise of that it has lots and lots and lots of action, when, in reality, it only has lots and lots.

  • Options
    KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Kazoo wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Wii U has a SERIOUS problem. Sure, the emergency price drop turned the 3DS around, but that system never sold as horribly as the Wii U. Unless something drastic happens in the next month or two I think the stench of failure may be impossible to remove from it.

    Speaking of stench of failure, the Vita sold less than 7,000 per week? Good goddamn. That system's utterly fucked at this point.

    I want a Wii U. I just can't justify spending $350 on a console for....uh, what, exactly? I loved Bayonetta and absolutely want to play Bayonetta 2, but unless there's more games....yeah....

    You're in luck. There are.

    I believe Kazoo is rationalizing it the way I am:

    I loved Bayonetta. I want Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta 2 is the only WiiU exclusive I'm interested in playing. I will not buy a WiiU just to play Bayonetta 2, and I don't care for any of other Nintendo's exclusives. As for ports from other consoles... well, I can just buy for the consoles I already have, why would I want to buy them for the WiiU?

    Ergo, when it comes down to the sheer economics of it, I will not buy a WiiU just for one game.

    Pretty much. I'm referring to core games like Killzone and Infamous. Nintendo doesn't have that type of catalog, so it makes it difficult for me to justify purchasing a Wii U.
    Now, give me a new Starfox and a proper Metroid game and we'll talk.

  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Wii U needs more ports. The system started off fine last year with AC3, CODBLOPS2, B: AC, and Sonic Racing. Then Christmas passed. No Tomb Raider, no Bioshock, no Metal Gear Rising, no Far Cry 3, no DMC. Correct me if I'm wrong but Injustice is the first port of a decent game in the last five months.

    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U was released like a week before Bioshock Infinite. Sales were abysmal, but it's definitely a port of a great game.

    It was also a delayed port. It needs same day releases. This isn't 1999, ports are released on the same day nowadays. It's the reason the WII U DE:HR:DC should be labeled the "I didn't ask for this" edition.

    Can hardly fault Criterion, NFSMW's original release date (Oct 2012) was before the WiiU launch date (Nov 2012). I doubt that targeting Nintendo's as-then-unannounced console back when they started development in 2010 was part of their plans.

  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Sicho wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    the Wii U will basically continue that tradition this generation because nobody is going to want to back port to a weaker system where it is perceived that third party titles don't sell

    Especially if no one has actually purchased the system. How many Wii Us are estimated to be actually owned at this point?

    So, are the plans for this system still "Wind Waker HD"?

    That's my question. I've been sorta out of the loop on the Wii U for a while. What does Nintendo have in the cards to turn this thing around, because it seems to going pretty badly so far.

    If Wind Waker HD and a sequel to a game that didn't sell well enough to get a sequel are all that are in the cards right now, that's not a good sign. I mean, it could be they're holding back until E3, but there doesn't seem to be anything they're doing to prepare for the shitstorm that will be having competition this fall. Is there any announced plans I'm missing?

    why is everybody forgetting that Pikmin 3 is coming this summer?
    and why don't people consider LEGO City Undercover a Must-Have? (because it is, trust me!)
    and at E3 we will see Smash Bros and Mario Kart and Mario Kart alone could sell a bazillion units.
    And they still have one Ace in their sleeve: the Pokémon "Skylanders" Thingie! It will sell like tasty, hot chocolate cake!

    So... wait for E3 then? Pikimin is a cult game, not a system seller. (the entire franchise has sold less than 4 million copies in NA) Lego City Underground also isn't a system seller. (it's a fantastic Lego game, which matches up with what Nintendo fans want, not so much something for everyone else to plop down $350 on) And the same old Nintendo franchises aren't going to do shit to bring back people who are no longer up for buying a console purely to play Nintendo franchises. So far they don't have anything to persuade someone who'd be considering between all 3 consoles equally. They have stuff to sell to Nintendo fans, but not to average Joe consumer who will consider a PS4 or 720 alongside the Wii U.

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's completely about price for me. And slightly partially about games as well.

    I know Nintendo. I know exactly who they are and what they offer. And I know that if I went out today and bought a Wii U, over the course of its life I will get complete satisfaction out of it, and ultimately it will have been worth every penny.

    However I won't. Because despite knowing this, I'm still not going to blow $400+ on it. Sure there will be games to justify buying it later. But there aren't that many right now. And the simple fact is that I know I can wait until there are games, and by then there most likely will have been a price cut. So I'm not going to pay more on the potential now when I can wait and pay less for the actual later.

    The real kicker in all of this is that I realize just how chicken-and-egg this is. I won't buy it now because there aren't enough games to justify it. But that sends the message to developers/publishers not to make games for it because I'm not buying the system.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Wii U needs more ports. The system started off fine last year with AC3, CODBLOPS2, B: AC, and Sonic Racing. Then Christmas passed. No Tomb Raider, no Bioshock, no Metal Gear Rising, no Far Cry 3, no DMC. Correct me if I'm wrong but Injustice is the first port of a decent game in the last five months.

    Need For Speed: Most Wanted U was released like a week before Bioshock Infinite. Sales were abysmal, but it's definitely a port of a great game.

    It was also a delayed port. It needs same day releases. This isn't 1999, ports are released on the same day nowadays. It's the reason the WII U DE:HR:DC should be labeled the "I didn't ask for this" edition.

    Can hardly fault Criterion, NFSMW's original release date (Oct 2012) was before the WiiU launch date (Nov 2012). I doubt that targeting Nintendo's as-then-unannounced console back when they started development in 2010 was part of their plans.

    I'm not faulting Criterion. I'm just saying a port of a (relatively) old game isn't going to light anything on fire. There's been a lot of games that have come out in the last 4 months. How many of them haven't come out on the Wii U? And what is Nintendo doing to make sure that this fall, I won't be able to say the same thing?

    No I don't.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Without delving into list wars, from a purely sales-potential perspective the release schedule for Wii U looks light in the near future. Pikmin isn't gigantically niche, but neither is it one of their hugely-selling franchises. Game & Wario will probably be ignored by most people except weirdos like me. Then there's Wii Party U. I think the original did pretty well, but I suspect there's some party game burnout thanks to all the Wii shovelware.

    We don't know what the fall release schedule will be like (the same way we don't know what it'll be like for the other consoles); it could be awesome. Though the worry is that by then the negative market perception toward the Wii U will have crystalized and it won't do much good by then.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Bioshock is still being advertised at a rate of about 1 ad per break on every major sporting event and anything that hits the 18-30 demo.

    It's all over the London Underground, as well.

    The song from the commercial has been stuck in my head for weeks now and the entire thing will play out in there even if I skip past it. It's always the first or last commercial in the break too.

    100 million might be low balling this ad campaign. It's insidious.

    If you're talking about the 'Beast' trailer, I ended up buying the single on Itunes, it was in my head that much.

This discussion has been closed.