As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Guys, unless one of us works in the media department of a Madison Av. ad agency, no, we're not going to guess the actual marketing budget for BInf based on anecdotal evidence.

Also, when Xenoblade 2 is out I'll buy me a Wiiu.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, Peter Molyneux has revealed an absolutely amazing, life-altering new game mechanic -- microtransactions!
    An update for 22 Cans' block-tapping Curiosity - What's Inside The Cube has added a string of in-app purchases to allow users to add and remove chunks of cubelets.

Curious Curiosity owners can now pay to add or remove blocks of 10,000, 100,000, and 500,000 cubelets. The effect is not instantaneous, however, and will instead take place when the game heads to its next layer.

10,000 cubes will cost $0.99/£0.69, 100,000 goes for $6.99/£4.99, and 500,000 cubelets will go for £7.49/$10.99.

"We don't know quite what will happen in this war of attrition," said 22Cans in the description for the update.

At time of writing, 13.7 million cubelets will be removed automatically from the next layer of Curiosity, while almost 4.7 million will be added.

"Curiosity may very well rapidly degrade to reveal its innermost secret or maybe the effects of automatically removing cubelets will be neutralised by players keen to keep Curiosity going," said 22 Cans.

Curiosity has been running since November 2012, and since its launch 260 layers of cubelets have been chipped off.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/peter-molyneuxs-curiosity-now-has-in-app-purchases-for-adding-cubelets-6407268

In other news, at least a few people are tapping that goddamn cube. I got bored after two minutes and gave up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I think it's funny that you can pay money to add layers to that thing!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

That is incredibly hilarious.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm getting kind of tired of game marketplaces basically being some weird BF Skinner experiment.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    If calculations are correct, a handful of people with a free ten dollars can outright erase all the progress done on the cube since its inception.

Molyneux just gave up and implemented 4chan's wettest dream in his game.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

That is incredibly hilarious.

Molyneux: greatest developer troll ever or greatest developer troll ever?

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    That's brilliant.
    Even I'm tempted to get the game just to buy layers to add back onto that insufferable cube.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    You can also pay the same amount to remove cubes, and so far more people have been paying to remove them, then to add on cubes by about a 2:1 ratio.

So you can slow it down a bit, but with people clicking, and all the other things that remove cubes, it would take a lot of people to actually reverse the progress.

seems like a huge waste to even try, all it is doing is giving a bit more attention to curiosity

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    I had no idea you could add cubes, that is hilarious.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    I jokingly said I was tempted.

Reality is there's no way I'm paying into that game. Or experiment. Whatever you want to call it.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Just the data on who is buying what DLC would be tremendously interesting.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    It's now almost the Prisoner game.

"Why did you quit the Agency?" - strips away cubes
    "I'm not a number; I'm a free man!" - adds more cubes

I'm seeing the cube as the big, giant, pixelated head of Patrick McGoohan.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Without delving into list wars, from a purely sales-potential perspective the release schedule for Wii U looks light in the near future. Pikmin isn't gigantically niche, but neither is it one of their hugely-selling franchises. Game & Wario will probably be ignored by most people except weirdos like me. Then there's Wii Party U. I think the original did pretty well, but I suspect there's some party game burnout thanks to all the Wii shovelware.

We don't know what the fall release schedule will be like (the same way we don't know what it'll be like for the other consoles); it could be awesome. Though the worry is that by then the negative market perception toward the Wii U will have crystalized and it won't do much good by then.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If E3 doesn't show us anything good coming out for 2013, Nintendo will be in trouble. This is coming from a current owner of the WiiU.

That said I'm sure we'll see Smash Bros happen. Which should spark some life in the console.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    So what happens if the WiiU fails? Would we be in danger of seeing a liquidated Nintendo?

Nintendo is the maker of the only consoles I've ever owned, or will ever own, so I give zero cares about how well they're doing compared to other consoles, but I'm just kind of wondering whether I'll have a hard time getting my Nintendo fix if the WiiU truly flops.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So what happens if the WiiU fails? Would we be in danger of seeing a liquidated Nintendo?

A company that has consistently made a profit for 119 years (minus a couple of quarters recently) and has no debt and a warchest that is measured in the tens of billions is not exactly in danger.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

A company that has consistently made a profit for 119 years (minus a couple of quarters recently) and has no debt and a warchest that is measured in the tens of billions is not exactly in danger.

That's what I'm thinking, but if the WiiU does very poorly, what would be the effect on the Nintendo fans out there? Will we just see less third-party games? WIll it affect Nintendo titles too?

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

That's what I'm thinking, but if the WiiU does very poorly, what would be the effect on the Nintendo fans out there? Will we just see less third-party games? WIll it affect Nintendo titles too?

If the Wii U does really do very poor over it's lifetime. Then I could see Nintendo doubling down on what works and that is handhelds. So i wouldn't be surprised if they either just stop making a home console and stick to handhelds only. Or go to some sort of system to allow streaming of the handheld over to a TV for the next generation, sort of like airplay or the Wii U in reverse.

The amount of graphics horsepower that is available on a system-on-chip is going up every year, right now something like a Tegra 4, Apple's A6X, and others is already equal to or greater then the current gen of consoles. So give it a few more years and I would think that Nintendo would be more then happy enough with the power you could get into a handheld system.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Probably the same thing that happened with the N64. And the Gamecube.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    If the Wii U does really do very poor over it's lifetime. Then I could see Nintendo doubling down on what works and that is handhelds. So i wouldn't be surprised if they either just stop making a home console and stick to handhelds only. Or go to some sort of system to allow streaming of the handheld over to a TV for the next generation, sort of like airplay or the Wii U in reverse.

Now see, a "reverse WiiU" sounds awesome to me. I get annoyed with WiiU games that don't have offscreen play, and this is really just taking that thought to it's conclusion. I really wouldn't mind if Nintendo just focused on making a powerful handheld that could display easily on your TV if you liked.

So I guess a reverse WiiU would be a UWii? /badumshush

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Now see, a "reverse WiiU" sounds awesome to me. I get annoyed with WiiU games that don't have offscreen play, and this is really just taking that thought to it's conclusion. I really wouldn't mind if Nintendo just focused on making a powerful handheld that could display easily on your TV if you liked.

So I guess a reverse WiiU would be a UWii? /badumshush

I would LOVE this. It would be so much more convienient to buy Nintendo games for one platform, and since handhelds are where Nintendo's strongest points come in, why not?

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I could easily see Nintendo skipping the idea of a home console in the next go-round, and just making the portable their platform of choice. Give it a mini-HDMI port and/or make it support WiDi, and boom, you have the ability to play at home.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So the random detritus left over from the THQ auction is selling, apparently:
    A recent disclosure statement on defunct publisher THQ notes the back catalog auction round for the company's intellectual properties (IP) received 17 final bids and is expected to generate $6 million to $7 million.

"The final news will be out Monday afternoon," a person with knowledge of the proceedings informs Joystiq.

This final auction, which included the IP rights for franchises Darksiders, Red Faction and Homeworld, began on April 1 and ended on April 15. The disclosure document notes the plan is to present the sales to the bankruptcy court for approval in May and close the sales by the end of the month.

A prior auction saw the purchase of franchises Saints Row, Company of Heroes and Metro.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/19/final-thq-auction-raised-6-7-million-details-expected-monday-a/

Speaking of which, we never got any news on what happened to the South Park game, right? It's still up for pre-order at Gamestop and Amazon, with THQ listed as publisher.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Nintendo is not gonna close up shop or abandon the console market over a single console failure. This is a silly line of thinking. If the WiiU fails Nintendo has the clout and finances to survive it and try again.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2013
    Iwata is let go, and they crate in a mysterious ebony cube. It cracks open to reveal the monstrous form of Yamauchi.

"BEHOLD," he screeches, "MY FINAL FORM."

Plagued by nightmare, Pachter dies abruptly in his sleep.

The prophecy comes true. The thousand years of industry darkness begins.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Peter Molyneux has revealed an absolutely amazing, life-altering new game mechanic -- microtransactions!
    An update for 22 Cans' block-tapping Curiosity - What's Inside The Cube has added a string of in-app purchases to allow users to add and remove chunks of cubelets.

Curious Curiosity owners can now pay to add or remove blocks of 10,000, 100,000, and 500,000 cubelets. The effect is not instantaneous, however, and will instead take place when the game heads to its next layer.

10,000 cubes will cost $0.99/£0.69, 100,000 goes for $6.99/£4.99, and 500,000 cubelets will go for £7.49/$10.99.

"We don't know quite what will happen in this war of attrition," said 22Cans in the description for the update.

At time of writing, 13.7 million cubelets will be removed automatically from the next layer of Curiosity, while almost 4.7 million will be added.

"Curiosity may very well rapidly degrade to reveal its innermost secret or maybe the effects of automatically removing cubelets will be neutralised by players keen to keep Curiosity going," said 22 Cans.

Curiosity has been running since November 2012, and since its launch 260 layers of cubelets have been chipped off.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/peter-molyneuxs-curiosity-now-has-in-app-purchases-for-adding-cubelets-6407268

In other news, at least a few people are tapping that goddamn cube. I got bored after two minutes and gave up.

This is quite the social experiment, damn.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    If the WiiU flops it'll just be another GameCube and the 3DS will be another GBA/DS. Ninty lives on another day.

Ninty has had its failures before. They're not good but Nintendo's not going to "drop out of the race" and go "full third party" over this.

We still need to see how the PS4 and next Xbox end up doing, too.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Nintendo, from what I've heard, has a deep war chest. Remember that they're just in game business, so they don't have to worry about their new OS failing or having to recover from a series of flopped 3D televisions.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Christ I hope they don't ever sac Iwata. He's probably the only executive in the industry with any semblance of a soul.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Nintendo, from what I've heard, has a deep war chest. Remember that they're just in game business, so they don't have to worry about their new OS failing or having to recover from a series of flopped 3D televisions.

Yeah they have an advantage here. But even for Microsoft, while making goofs, isn't playing out of their war chest reserves. So they're in the same boat - one aspect of the MS business may flop. In the long run, big deal, a single instance doesn't imply doom.

To contrast, this is why people are critical of Sony, because Sony is already delving into that war chest quite a bit. And it's not just one aspect of Sony that's coming down - it's many of their branches that are suffering. The PS4 is more of a critical moment for them than anyone else this console gen, by a large margin.

Henroid on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Christ I hope they don't ever sac Iwata. He's probably the only executive in the industry with any semblance of a soul.

I just like that he actually physically worked on games himself in the old days. Practically programmed Balloon Fight himself, I think? And worked on Kirby's Adventure, and probably a lot more.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I just like that he actually physically worked on games himself in the old days. Practically programmed Balloon Fight himself, I think? And worked on Kirby's Adventure, and probably a lot more.

Wasn't he at one point asked or even volunteered to come in and do some light help on Smash Bros. Brawl, or something along those lines?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    it was only once i got onto this forum that i started seeing references to the Nintendo 64 being a failure.

Everybody I knew growing up had a Nintendo 64. I think one guy had a Playstation, but the games sucked so we never played at his house.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The Nintendo 64 was a giant long-term failure. It's basically how Nintendo lost control of third-party relationships and the market.

Which is probably to our benefit, because Nintendo had some really regressive ideas back then. They were also pretty brutal to third parties, which is probably also why third parties were so eager to find any viable alternative such as Sony.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    it was only once i got onto this forum that i started seeing references to the Nintendo 64 being a failure.

Everybody I knew growing up had a Nintendo 64. I think one guy had a Playstation, but the games sucked so we never played at his house.

N64 was not a failure, but it was the definite #2 of that generation. You want failure, you have to look at Saturn.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    The Nintendo 64 was a giant long-term failure. It's basically how Nintendo lost control of third-party relationships and the market.

Which is probably to our benefit, because Nintendo had some really regressive ideas back then. They were also pretty brutal to third parties, which is probably also why third parties were so eager to find any viable alternative such as Sony.

Yeah this is very true. I mean this has nothing to do with liking games on a console or whatever, this is 100% business strategy and relations.

• Options
    I love Nintendo so much, and still remember getting an NES at my grandma's one Christmas Day, but look at the shit Nintendo did during the NES era and it's probably for the best that they got some competition from SEGA and later Sony.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I honestly think the WiiU will be fine once the big main franchise games are out.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I love Nintendo so much, and still remember getting an NES at my grandma's one Christmas Day, but look at the shit Nintendo did during the NES era and it's probably for the best that they got some competition from SEGA and later Sony.

This is true.

When Nintendo ran the world, they treated developers like shit. They were Wal-mart bad in terms of the contracts they forced on other companies. That kind of thing doesn't just wipe off with a moist towelette, and when the Playstation came out and offered an alternative that was cheaper and better contracts all around, just about everybody jumped ship.

Nintendo turned it around, certainly, but they're still kind of rebuilding all those bridges that they electrified and set on fire back in the day.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

This is true.

When Nintendo ran the world, they treated developers like shit. They were Wal-mart bad in terms of the contracts they forced on other companies. That kind of thing doesn't just wipe off with a moist towelette, and when the Playstation came out and offered an alternative that was cheaper and better contracts all around, just about everybody jumped ship.

Nintendo turned it around, certainly, but they're still kind of rebuilding all those bridges that they electrified and set on fire back in the day.

I want to know more about this.

This discussion has been closed.