As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Industry Thread] Nobody is Buying Anything.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    muninn wrote: »
    Consumers always flocked to high powered systems.

No they don't. Historically the most powerful system is rarely the sales leader.

That. The NES was less powerful than the SMS, the SNES and Genesis were approximately equal but out-powered by the Neo-Geo (and later the 3DO and Jaguar), the PS1 was less powerful than the N64 (but about the same power level as the Saturn, though both used their power in different ways -- the Saturn was better at 2D, the PS1 at 3D), the PS2 was the least powerful system of its generation, and then there's the Wii. Hell, even going back to the pre-Crash days, the Atari 2600 was still the most popular system even as much more powerful systems like the Intellivision and Colecovision came out.

So what you're saying is the weaker console between the PS4 and 720 will be the market leader. Cool.

Because unless something drastic changes it's not going to be the Dreamcast Wii U.

In other words, tradition doesn't trump reality or common sense.

Of course it doesn't. I'm just saying the idea that "MORE POWERFUL = BETTER SELLER" does not hold up throughout history. Nor does its opposite hold true (though it certainly is a better rule of thumb than the other one).

Making any predictions about which console is going to dominate is foolish at this point. Maybe it will be the 720 or the PS4. Maybe the Wii U will bounce back with a hot title or two. Maybe the Ouya will run away with it all. Maybe the console market as a whole will implode, leaving the Steam box as the last man standing. We simply don't know, and any kind of speculation at this point is just so much CONSOLE WARZ~! bullshit.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Maybe the Ouya will run away with it all.

And how could it not with exclusives like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    What a joke the Ouya is, from the name to the controller to the crazy dreams of the people behind it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hubris is the end-all of game development. Sony's preference of having engineers make products without budget concerns leads to things like the PS3, and Microsoft letting a single man lead the vision of Windows 8 to the detriment of other developments and capitalizing on momentum will probably be theirs.

It doesn't kill companies, just puts them on their heels.

Anecdotally, I tried to buy NSFMW:U ... Really, REALLY tried. But as MH3 and Lego came out that same week, I was trying to do the B2G1 at Target. But Target decided not to ship any to my local store, meaning I'd have to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up.

Yeah.. I ended up buying Fall of Cybertron instead.

Win 8.1 blue, basically the first service pack for win8 will contain a toggle to boot straight to desktop and possible one for the metro interface to replace it with the normal start screen, so all those people who were afraid of the change and couldn't give it a chance can stop complaining. As the rest of the OS is great and improves on win7 in just about every area.

MS has learned from competitors and it's own past mistakes and is moving to a faster development model, so they can react to customer reactions and new tech faster.

Having no interest in a massive-tile-based interface that's great for touch screens and ass compared to being able to have virtually every program you want accessible through clickable icons is hardly being "afraid of change". Making that the standard interface was a massive fuck-up on Microsoft's part, simply because there no damn good reason to take something that works great and everybody recognizes and throw it out the window for something that's good for a very, very specific type of hardware.

I'm genuinely considering a Windows 8 touchscreen system for my next portable system, but that interface is awful for standard PC. Why would I ever bother upgrading to something that is less useful and convenient than what I already have?

1): You can resize the tiles
    2): The tiles /are icons/

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Foomy wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hubris is the end-all of game development. Sony's preference of having engineers make products without budget concerns leads to things like the PS3, and Microsoft letting a single man lead the vision of Windows 8 to the detriment of other developments and capitalizing on momentum will probably be theirs.

It doesn't kill companies, just puts them on their heels.

Anecdotally, I tried to buy NSFMW:U ... Really, REALLY tried. But as MH3 and Lego came out that same week, I was trying to do the B2G1 at Target. But Target decided not to ship any to my local store, meaning I'd have to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up.

Yeah.. I ended up buying Fall of Cybertron instead.

Win 8.1 blue, basically the first service pack for win8 will contain a toggle to boot straight to desktop and possible one for the metro interface to replace it with the normal start screen, so all those people who were afraid of the change and couldn't give it a chance can stop complaining. As the rest of the OS is great and improves on win7 in just about every area.

MS has learned from competitors and it's own past mistakes and is moving to a faster development model, so they can react to customer reactions and new tech faster.

Having no interest in a massive-tile-based interface that's great for touch screens and ass compared to being able to have virtually every program you want accessible through clickable icons is hardly being "afraid of change". Making that the standard interface was a massive fuck-up on Microsoft's part, simply because there no damn good reason to take something that works great and everybody recognizes and throw it out the window for something that's good for a very, very specific type of hardware.

I'm genuinely considering a Windows 8 touchscreen system for my next portable system, but that interface is awful for standard PC. Why would I ever bother upgrading to something that is less useful and convenient than what I already have?

1): You can resize the tiles
    2): The tiles /are icons/

Which the average user can tell from just looking at the interface, right? Because everybody knows the average consumer does lengthy, in-depth research on computer systems, instead of buying what looks right. And the second point is... totally meaningless. That's a criticism based purely on semantics, because obviously tiles and icons serve the same function. People won't recognize them as the same thing, though, which has been one of the fatal flaws with Windows 8's reception.

There was just no point at all in throwing out the old visual system so tablets could have nice big tiles. And even being a pretty advanced user, I mucked about with Windows 8 for all of 5 minutes before hating it and deciding there was no point in upgrading any time soon. First impressions are HUGE, and Microsoft did nothing right on that score.

Cripes, Microsoft took the visual system that they'd been refining for decades and people automatically identify as "Windows" and made the initial startup stuff something completely different. That's just all kinds of stupid. Making the "classic" visuals the startup and making the Metro style optional would've saved them all sorts of hassle.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Maybe the Ouya will run away with it all.

And how could it not with exclusives like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1nidrZhsM

I laughed at this.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    What a joke the Ouya is, from the name to the controller to the crazy people who funded it.

That's more accurate. It's a sad world when people would rather fund an Android console rather than buy an actual game console like Wii U.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    That's because they're fighting the power! (With shitty games)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    They should partner with Soda Drinker Pro and between them have half a game.

Really don't know what the Ouya is supposed to be. Is it a serious thing, or some publicity scam just to get press for the company owners? At least OnLive seemed like it was trying to produce a real product, and at least from what I heard, was fairly successful at it. The Ouya just seems to be much closer to the Phantom end of the spectrum, though at least they shipped something.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    What a joke the Ouya is, from the name to the controller to the crazy people who funded it.

That's more accurate. It's a sad world when people would rather fund an Android console rather than buy an actual game console like Wii U.

It's also 200 bucks cheaper and a lot of people bought it with the intention of being pirate scumbags with the thing.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options

It's also 200 bucks cheaper and a lot of people bought it with the intention of being pirate scumbags with the thing.

That's an even dumber reason to get it as a Wii with homebrew is a way better alternative.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    OK, this is the last thing I wanted to start.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Really don't know what the Ouya is supposed to be. Is it a serious thing, or some publicity scam just to get press for the company owners? At least OnLive seemed like it was trying to produce a real product, and at least from what I heard, was fairly successful at it. The Ouya just seems to be much closer to the Phantom end of the spectrum, though at least they shipped something.
    Turns out Kickstarter is also the modern day snake oil wagon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    OUYA has got some serious problems even without talking about the console itself. Only a few backers have gotten their OUYA console, and this thing is supposed to launch in about a month and a half. I believe they still haven't resolved the way in-app purchases work (there is no unified API to handle it). Their review process is a joke. Honestly, it goes on and on. I suggest checking out the SA thread about it as the thread here is dead.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

It has the potential to be used in that manner, but it is more attractive than anything else because it's new and shiny.

I was posting elsewhere on the internet a couple days ago about how I think any sort of alpha/early funding (or crowd-sourcing if people like that phrase better) is susceptible to that "snake oil salesman" idea, and can actually happen unintentionally. My example was Terraria and its pie-in-the-sky goals from when it became purchasable and how a lot of those goals ending up not being fulfilled. I mean I still got something, but I was still burned because my expectations - or rather the sales pitch - was not met. I mean, I felt anyway. This isn't about Terraria specifically and whether or not it did and I'm not saying this to convince people to agree with me, just stating the example that works for me so people at least know what I'm talking about.

At the end of the day you still get a game, but the difference is buying a sales pitch vs. buying a finished product.

Edit - Actually this topic (alpha funding) has been coming up in the Starbound thread and I was wondering if we should bother having a thread to discuss it. I'm afraid it'll easily slip into people going "CHECK OUT THIS KICKSTARTER!" type shit though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm reading an article on the PA Report and just noticed something real quick:
    the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft
    Is Microsoft asking people to describe the 360 in that way? "The XBox 360 video game and entertainment system," in the same way that Sony demands people say, "Playstation computer entertainment system"? Goddamn that's a mouthful.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

I don't think it's fair to prescribe that label to Kickstarter as a whole. I think of Kickstarter as being like infomercials. Some of what you get from it will end up being pretty much as advertised, such as the Magic Bullet blender that worked out quite well for me. But there will also be the snake oil, such as the Shamwow. Ouya is the Shamwow. All it needs is some guy with an unnecessary headset to plug it.

Seriously, why is he wearing that headset?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is Microsoft asking people to describe the 360 in that way? "The XBox 360 video game and entertainment system," in the same way that Sony demands people say, "Playstation computer entertainment system"? Goddamn that's a mouthful.

Just wait until we're reading about the "Next Box home media entertainment center and video game system from Microsoft"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    4. Tell him no one fucking cares if he likes making 3D Mario more. People like playing and buying 2D Mario more, so that game's going to get the bigger budget, the bigger staff, and the better production values. If he wants to recycle textures and music for 3D Mario, fine, but 2D Mario is the flagship series from now on, and that shit won't fly.

Really? I haven't felt the 2D mario games have been all that good, meanwhile the 3D mario games have been some of the best of the generation.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I like the tablet way more than motion control BS, 3D Mario has been better than 2D Mario for ages, and I had more fun with Nintendo Land than I ever had with Wii Sports.

I don't know if Nintendo would have done better business focusing on different things, but creatively I'm much more interested in what they're doing than what fearsomepirate is suggesting they should do.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I don't think it's fair to prescribe that label to Kickstarter as a whole. I think of Kickstarter as being like infomercials. Some of what you get from it will end up being pretty much as advertised, such as the Magic Bullet blender that worked out quite well for me. But there will also be the snake oil, such as the Shamwow. Ouya is the Shamwow. All it needs is some guy with an unnecessary headset to plug it.

Seriously, why is he wearing that headset?

Maybe, but at least with the infomercials, you'll always get something shipped, and if you don't there's some recourse (postal, etc.), though may not be worth the hassle. With crowd funding, they can just 'disappear' with your money and there's nothing to do about it.

Just seems like that it should be a perfect fit for the industry, since everyone seems to be going on about the folly of pricing PS4 or XBOX 362 at $500+, these cheaper consoles should be big sellers. If it's assumed the mass market is not interested in Sony or Microsoft's launch offerings, why aren't they picking up the cheap stuff?

Also if you haven't, search for rap versions of the Slap Chop, it's incredible.

• Options
    I think that discussion of ways a Mario game can be made is heavily rooted in personal taste / sentiment rather than objective fact. Or subjective. You know what I mean.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    it's a real shame to me that Nintendo moved slightly into gimmick territory with the Wii.

I've always felt they designed the best conventional controllers - the Gamecube and N64 controllers still remain my two favourite controllers of all time. It's a shame that they didn't continue that into the current generation.

• Options
    4. Tell him no one fucking cares if he likes making 3D Mario more. People like playing and buying 2D Mario more, so that game's going to get the bigger budget, the bigger staff, and the better production values. If he wants to recycle textures and music for 3D Mario, fine, but 2D Mario is the flagship series from now on, and that shit won't fly.

Really? I haven't felt the 2D mario games have been all that good, meanwhile the 3D mario games have been some of the best of the generation.

Not to mention, Mario Galaxy was very much a system seller, and I don't think one can say the same of any of the NSMB games.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    it's a real shame to me that Nintendo moved slightly into gimmick territory with the Wii.

I've always felt they designed the best conventional controllers - the Gamecube and N64 controllers still remain my two favourite controllers of all time. It's a shame that they didn't continue that into the current generation.

I'd consider both of those as about as unconventional of a traditional controller as you can get, though. There's nothing conventional about the 3-prongs on the N64 controller, and the Gamecube's face button layout is similarly something that nobody else has tried.

Also, their biggest success has been the Nintendo DS, which took years to shake its status as a gimmick. :)

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I meant conventional as in you hold it in your hands and press buttons and thats all it does.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I meant conventional as in you hold it in your hands and press buttons and thats all it does.

The pro controller is pretty damn comfortable if you haven't tried it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Not to mention, Mario Galaxy was very much a system seller, and I don't think one can say the same of any of the NSMB games.

I think they were going based on sales, since the 2D games tend to sell much better than the 3D games. Has nothing to do with quality of course.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    i dont really know what nintendo could have done differently with the wii U.

Wii HD with further improved motion controls.

and/or

Drop the stupid tablet.

and/or

Release it five years earlier.

or

Release it one year later with significantly beefier stats.

The Wii sold gangbusters, but never got played. For most consumers it was an expensive doorstop. There is research to back this up. Turns out, motion control was a gimmick that didn't mean a thing to core gamers and was quickly realised as a dumb aside to those who bought it for such.

It is clearly demonstrable that the Wii, of the big 3, caused buyer's remorse more than the other 2 consoles. The motion gimmick turned out to be, woah, a gimmick. But Nintendo, above all over counter game companies, have Nintendo games. for a significant number of people they are essential Everyone loves them.

So why don't they make the same fucking console as Sony and Microsoft, with the same power and ports, except they're the only fucking console with NINTENDO GAMES. Introduce the tablet later.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

and/or

Drop the stupid tablet.

and/or

or

The Wii sold gangbusters, but never got played. For most consumers it was an expensive doorstop. There is research to back this up. Turns out, motion control was a gimmick that didn't mean a thing to core gamers and was quickly realised as a dumb aside to those who bought it for such.

It is clearly demonstrable that the Wii, of the big 3, caused buyer's remorse more than the other 2 consoles. The motion gimmick turned out to be, woah, a gimmick. But Nintendo, above all over counter game companies, have Nintendo games. for a significant number of people they are essential Everyone loves them.

So why don't they make the same fucking console as Sony and Microsoft, with the same power and ports, except they're the only fucking console with NINTENDO GAMES. Introduce the tablet later.

[Citation needed]

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Microsoft isn't describing it that way on its web pages or in press releases, so I assume that was just a PA Report thing.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

Yeah, uh, not really? It ended up with a tie ratio in line with PS3, even despite selling so many more consoles. For a good chunk of the generation it was the #1 Netflix playing device.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    anecdotally i can believe that - my wife and I bought a Wii, played the hell out of it for about three weeks and I haven't touched it since. that was about two years ago.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

They tried that with the GameCube and failed to differentiate themselves enough. Not to say one misstep from a decade ago should guide all their future decisions, but their track record for gimmicks is a lot stronger than their reliance on just being another version of whatever Sony and MS are doing.

I expect we're going to drown in WiiU marketing this holiday season. The pieces that should have been in place when the thing launched will be present, and they know they need to emphasize that it's actually a new console. A price drop wouldn't be surprising either.

Not sure if it'll fix things, but they still have the opportunity.

• Options
    Jumping Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. I compare the rampant speculation on the next generation to CONSOLE WARZ~! and I inadvertently unleash the real thing. Look, I'm sorry everyone, can we go back to talking about numbers and stuff now?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

and/or

Drop the stupid tablet.

and/or

or

[Citation needed]

I've quoted the surveys, polls, and research on this thread and its predecessors multiple times. I cant now because I am on a phone. There are many surveys, the most relevant being Neilsen, showing that the average consumer played their Wii for about a 3rd to a half of the time each week as the average owners of PS3's and Xbox's. which isnt long. the data states that Wii's were bought and not played much. To me that shows dissatisfied customers. People caught up by hype. So why buy the follow up, that costs more and has less games? I think motion control is done, the tablet is a great idea, but Ninty fucked up by not meeting the graphical fidelity of its obvious competitors. It would have been simple for them to just wait and match the power the the next gen guys.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I don't see how you go from "played half as much as the 360" to "expensive doorstop." Especially when the Wii never had as many online games to encourage constant playing, and especially when it has a respectable tie ratio.

What sort of research shows that families suddenly realized motion control is a gimmick and a dumb aside? Were a large percentage of the Wii games sold in later years the ones that did not feature motion control, giving us some hard data that consumers rejected it?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Microsoft isn't describing it that way on its web pages or in press releases, so I assume that was just a PA Report thing.

Oh okay, good to hear. I've always felt those long, exasperated titles to hardware were silly.

• Options
    I don't see how you go from "played half as much as the 360" to "expensive doorstop." Especially when the Wii never had as many online games to encourage constant playing, and especially when it has a respectable tie ratio.

Time played / cost = value. That simple.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

and/or

Drop the stupid tablet.

and/or

or

[Citation needed]

I've quoted the surveys, polls, and research on this thread and its predecessors multiple times. I cant now because I am on a phone. There are many surveys, the most relevant being Neilsen, showing that the average consumer played their Wii for about a 3rd to a half of the time each week as the average owners of PS3's and Xbox's. which isnt long. the data states that Wii's were bought and not played much. To me that shows dissatisfied customers. People caught up by hype. So why buy the follow up, that costs more and has less games? I think motion control is done, the tablet is a great idea, but Ninty fucked up by not meeting the graphical fidelity of its obvious competitors. It would have been simple for them to just wait and match the power the the next gen guys.

The "average" consumer buying the Wii were people like my parents and my in-laws who played it a couple hours a week because they absolutely loved Wii Sports. These same people have never considered buying a 360 or PS3. Studies like this are comparing two groups of people who cannot be compared.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.