Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #2

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2013 in Strip Search
Strip Search - Elimination #1

Two more Artists come face to face with the Creators and present their skills to see who can save themselves and return to the competition.

Read the full story here

Tube on

• DinospyDinospy Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    Aw man, that made me sad - then happy when Katie won and then sad again, because by the end of it I really liked Ty. Is it Tuesday yet?

Spman2099empath
  • HappyaxHappyax Registered User regular
    I was happy that Katie stayed. I really love her art. However, I would love to see Ty draw when he has a couple of hours to himself. The being questioned did not seem to work to his advantage.

makrAnjinM
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Stayed up for this one! I suspect it won't be the last time.

Spman2099
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Also, it says Elimination #1 in the post title. Feel free to delete this comment later.

Spman2099RaphDS
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    "Lost for words isn't generally one of my issues". But being lost in words on the other hand...
    Anyways, Ty was really awesome and it sucks to see him go. I think his joke would have been the best if he had had some time to think it over.

Spman2099BusinessCat88empath
  • dostrowdostrow Registered User new member
    In addition to the title the URL is /elimination-11 instead of /elimination-2 which the news post points to. The latter still results in a 404.

• TelloTello Registered User regular
    I got really nervous for Katie at the end! Ty seems like a cool guy but I definitely didn't want to see Katie leave.

Spman2099makr
  • GorstaggGorstagg Registered User new member
    I don't like that they are doing only an hour and a half. They should give at least 2 hours, which would make a lot more sense, on the competition scale. Beyond that, love Katie, and really wish these episodes were 30 minutes or more each. Which is a sign this is some really enjoyable stuff.

makrTheSpyder
  • CaanonWeathersCaanonWeathers Registered User new member
    Page says Elimination #1. But this is Elimination #2.

RaphDS
  • CrazyMikeCrazyMike Registered User new member
    Ty seems like a great guy. I've never seen his work before but given his verbal diarrhea, I'm not surprised at all by his art. I think there are big things in store for that guy. I'm glad that Katie realized at the end she took the easy route. When she's back next time (hopefully not the actual next time) I think we'll see something pretty awesome from her.

cowutopiaempath
  • pokutepokute Registered User new member
    Glad to see Katie survive. Pretty sure she's getting the edge on everyone else though. By being with Jerry and Mike, bantering back and forth during the duels, she's getting more of her true personality across, which was a huge part of the previous hiring processes.

makrempath
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am really surprised... I thought Katie's joke was pretty hilarious. Though, my fear would be that the joke is almost a manipulation; kinda like she was saying "you will ruin my life if you don't pick me!!!".

On the other hand, I like what Ty was going for; however, I feel like the execution of the joke was lacking. With a little more time I think it could have been awesome.

I should clarify what surprised me... I was surprised that they thought both were weak; I thought Katie's was quite strong and I thought that Ty's had enough gusto to be admirable at the very least.

Spman2099 on
    Dinospyempath
  • BusinessCat88BusinessCat88 Registered User new member
    Damn I love Katie's art ... I'm glad that alone propelled her through. She captured both her and Ty's emotions perfectly.

• cowutopiacowutopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It might help Ty sort out his ideas if he had a partner. It's always easier to focus your ideas when you can bounce them off of another living human being and receive live feedback. Mike and Jerry are a great team partially because they edit each other, and that kind of teamwork would probably help Ty create more focused content.

In any case I thought both strips were beautifully drawn, but definitely weak on laughs. They both strike me as inside-your-own-head jokes that don't translate as well to an outside audience, though I get where both strips are coming from. I think with such an incredibly broad range of possibilities given with this pairing, and such a limited time frame, it was kind of a natural reaction to avoid getting too deep into something conceptually far-out. Both of them ended up with concepts that were a lot smaller instead.

It was great to meet you Ty and I'll be reading your stuff!

cowutopia on
    makrJoshEckmageormikeempath
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    AGH! This show gives me heart palpitations.

As an artist I empathize whole-heartedly with every single contestant on this show and that makes these episodes - especially the elimination episodes - almost unbearable to watch.

And yet I Keep. Coming. Back.

Congrats to Katie. Farewell to Ty, though, like I have with all the contestants here, I'll be reading your comics for as long as you have them running.

AnjinM
  • SomeursaultSomeursault Registered User regular
    Weak concept from Katie. I'm surprised she went with a strip referencing the contest directly after what happened to Alex.

That said, I reflexively clenched my fist in celebration when she wasn't sent home for it. I just did a Skadi archive crawl because of this show and she's my favorite now.

• WordLustWordLust Registered User regular
    That was a really fucking close game. Ty's art was not only incredible, but the composition of each panel was interesting and varied. I felt really strongly that there was a good chance Mike & Jerry would give the round to Ty on the artwork alone. Ty's joke was also a good concept, but I had to go back and read the comic again to understand the thread of his joke, which is probably more likely a casualty of working under pressure than his rambling, I'd guess. If that joke would have gone down smoother, Ty might have easily dominated that round.

Katie's art was solid, but it also appeared very conservative when it was compared against Ty's, like she was playing it safe. Whereas Ty was stronger in the composition of each panel, I think Katie proved vastly stronger than Ty in terms of characterization and expressiveness in the character art. That's something she is very good at, and it obviously helped her a lot here. Her joke was a little on the lame side, and she of course should not have referenced the competition itself, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that another way of looking at her joke is that she was purposely choosing to opt out of the obvious sci-fi future and make ANOTHER kind of future joke, possibly garnering some points for attempting a joke that was valid but unexpected. Unfortunately it didn't really result in a great joke, but if that was in fact the angle, then that was at least an interesting choice.

tl;dr: I wouldn't have been surprised if Ty had won based on great panel composition and a more high concept joke, but his joke was composed of more language than art. I'm happy with Katie's victory, because I feel like her characters are more expressive and while her joke was not as high concept as Ty's, it was conveyed mostly through visual humor, which is an extremely powerful weapon, and which I believe has been vital in securing both of her victories.

Congratulations, Katie! Best wishes to Ty! You will be missed!

cowutopia
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I actually wan't really able to read Ty's comic. I checked the spoilers section but it's not up yet?

Anyway, congrats,
    Katie
    and sorry to see you go
    Ty
    !

https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/

“Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season, we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.”
  • J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I liked Ty's but after reading it like 5 times I was still not 100% positive I understood it. Katie's made me laugh from the start and so in my mind that's why she should have won. And I'm so glad because she's just so dang cute and I want her to succeed! :)

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • jeremyhopkinsjeremyhopkins Registered User new member
    Katie Rice is Katie nice!

RaphDSLevin Sadsad
  • FayiliFayili Registered User regular
    Everybody in the show needs to stop being so nice and supportive, and making me think that people in the real world are going to be as awesome. I thought this was supposed to be Reality TV.

As for the actual episode, I actually got a good laugh out of Ty's strip. I thought they were going to send Katie home, and I was sad. I'm glad to see her stay, but thought it was interesting that I oddly enjoyed the other strip more.

Prepositions are the things you should not end sentences with.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.
    enderandrewempath
  • darkmalteaserdarkmalteaser Registered User regular
    i really really like the theme music for this

empath
  • HeyThereElizaHeyThereEliza Registered User regular
    Ugh... Katie's wasn't even completely finished and yet Ty went home? Not fair. Guess I'll have to find a new favorite. Merr...

• KthanidKthanid Registered User new member
    I had to lol at Kathleen's Sad face cutout! Also, go Katie!

CambiataHeyThereElizaenderandrewempath
  • Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    Katie Rice is Katie nice!

I disagree. Katie Rice is a devourer of conquered souls. Her bloodlust is only satiated when she paints with a murderous sanguine tint comprised of fluids drained from her opponents. Do battle with Katie Rice and you will pay the Katie price. Death. The price is death.

Also: It looks like Jerry is committed to the track suit and gold chain. It wasn't just a one day thing. This pleases me.

spillfishdejavu,againSpman2099SejarkiNijhazerenderandrewempath
  • crazedlooncrazedloon Registered User new member
    Is it just me or is there a typo in Ty's comic, I keep getting hung up on the one character saying it IS the past rather than isn't.

This
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    I rooted for Katie since she's now the lovable underdog, but I honestly thought Ty's comic was better, because I didn't see any joke in Katie's, whereas I immediately laughed at Ty's.

pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the show, by a mile, are the conversations with the eliminated artist. The game is over, the reality show facade disappears, and all that's left is a real talk moment in an SUV.

cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
    theredfishempath
  • RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    Kathleen de Vere FTW! :)) That was so mean.

DTtheLEGENDenderandrewempath
  • RaphDSRaphDS Registered User regular
    Ty's work is very impressive, but in terms of comic writing, Katie nailed economy of language and "show, not tell" better. It wasn't as good as last time, but it eked out in the end.

DTtheLEGENDempath
  • WarmthWarmth Registered User regular
    Stop making us like people if you're just going to have to eliminate them. This is like eating a big bag full of poisoned Almond Rocas. Which I would gladly eat, knowing full well that they're deadly. But man, Almond Rocas, gimmie some.

empath
  • spillfishspillfish Registered User regular
    "Loss for words is not generally one of my issues..."

Oh, Ty. I love you, but yes, yes it is.

• DTtheLEGENDDTtheLEGEND Registered User regular
    Katie is so cute, but it would be hilarious if she was sent to elimination EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

• ObiRobKenobiObiRobKenobi Registered User regular
    I really am surprised that Jerry and Mike had a hard time seeing the joke in Katie's. I thought hers was hilarious and a relatively strong strip. I loved that she didn't do the obvious interpretation of "Future". I also particularly loved the small details in hers like how well the faces conveyed emotion and the face of the mother in the background of the third panel.

I really liked the idea behind Ty's but as others have said he didn't quite stick the landing. His comic was also WAY too wordy for my tastes. When it comes to humorous comic strips I've always been of the opinion that less is more.

Anywho, Katie's got to stop going to these eliminations because it's making me like her so much more! You get to know the artists a lot better in these episodes than the others thanks to the banter between everyone in the room.

empath
  • t_wanderert_wanderer Registered User regular
    Did anyone else notice the subtle spoiler in Ty's interview a few days ago? I didn't want to say anything until after the elimination posted, just in case.

Still, holy crap has this show got me hooked.

Remington
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    wow...

*OFF SITE SPOILER*

After reading Katie's website last month she hinted that she was eliminated and it made me feel sad like every time we watch this we know what is coming... Almost like we read the end of the book first :(

GethspiffmanaTheSpyderRemingtonKoopahTroopahPifmanempath
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    I was a little surprised at how much they hated Katie's joke. I mean I didn't think it was hilarious, but I thought it was cute.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    empath
  • darklaodarklao Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I can take much more of this show. Too hurty in the feely bits.

GethAnjinMempath
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    Random Question: Why is jerry wearing a gold chain and a track suit like a russian gangster?

I just realized this new fashion choice....

KoopahTroopahenderandrew
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    In case anyone accidentally reads the supposed spoiler a few posts below about a contestant "hinting" they got eliminated on their personal blog: that's a serious stretch based on what that comment was. (The contestant in question posted something along the lines of "I did the show and it was a lot of fun, I'm glad I got to do it..." which at this point is about all any contestant could say, even if they won at the end.)

Lamp on
    Gnomeland Securitydejavu,againspiffmanaPifmanCambiataempath