The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #2

• CandaceCandace Registered User new member
    Would somebody be so kind as to explain Ty's joke to me? Read the strip several times, and it's infuriating how much I don't get it.

• ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Ty's joke is that semantically you don't say "I don't know where we are OR where we are." you say "I don't know where we are AND when we are". :)

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    empath
    I'm glad that I looked at the two strips and my immediate thought was "neither of these have a decent joke in them, but Katie's has slightly better art." I guess I was on the money.

I was a bit worried that Katie's comic would be taken by Mike and Jerry as an attempt to guilt trip them, and backfire, but I guess it worked.

I'm so sad people have to be knocked out of this show though. I really really warmed to Ty over the last two episodes, and I don't want to see him go :(

• TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    I have to say, Ty's comic here could've been really good if he had more time to work on the pacing.

I actually loved Ty's comic up until the last panel, which was a bit cluttered, I think it would have been stronger with only the first two speech bubbles in the last panel...

RaphDS
  • ManabouttownManabouttown Registered User new member
    Katie the comic book assassin!

KoopahTroopah
  • SpliveSplive Registered User regular
    "Anywho, Katie's got to stop going to these eliminations because it's making me like her so much more! You get to know the artists a lot better in these episodes than the others thanks to the banter between everyone in the room."

Yes! Katie became my favorite after the first elimination round...felt like I really got a chance to know her and see that she is actually awesome. I also got a chance to see how awesome Alex was...shortly before he was gone forever. Same thing this episode...I didn't have any investment in Ty until this episode...

These elimination episodes are fricking brutal to watch...but I love it.

• NaptivaNaptiva Registered User regular
    I'm really starting to love this show, to the point where it's my favorite piece of programming I watch each week...And I watch a lot of TV.

Mike, Jerry & the rest of the PA staff have done a great job in creating the format and structure of the show. PA & Bionic have also done a great job with editing. (my one wish would be that the show airs on mon/wed/fri so each "episode" is each week. )

The coolest thing, I think is that Jerry & Mike get into the car and tell the artist what they liked about their comic. You could see that even though he was bummed about losing, Ty was so excited when they talked to him. Truly incredible.

Pifmanempath
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    At first I thought that Katie's comic was implying what would happen the first time she wasn't picked to go to Elimination, and I laughed pretty hard. Then I realized that I had seen it wrong, and it didn't seem like a joke at all. It's just too bad, because the other way was pretty hilarious.

I've been reading through some of Ty's stuff these last few days and he seems really funny, in general. I can't really compare it to Katie's stuff because of the horrible design of the website she's on... there's no link to the start of it and the most recent stuff doesn't make sense because I don't know anything about the characters. But Ty has a lot of great jokes and I had really started to think that he was the one who would survive tonight.

I have to say I was pretty torn, both before and after the decision. I barely tipped the scale at wanting Katie to stay, because she's just so darn likable - not that Ty isn't, but there's something about her that makes you want her to win. But I also barely tipped the scale at thinking that Ty's comic was better, even though I didn't really get it and he clearly didn't have time to polish it. So... yeah.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    Katies comic was annoying to me because I felt the joke was weak and hinged too much on the current circumstances. But the art is so there so quickly that there could have been zero words and I would have enjoyed looking at it. Hopefully her experience on the show will give her a conciseness that will help her out later.

My favorite-to-win-it I feel is also an excellent artist but might lack good comic background as well.

In any case, Katie is a seasoned vet now and I hope that comes to her advantage if she ends up back in the ring.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I was a little surprised at how much they hated Katie's joke. I mean I didn't think it was hilarious, but I thought it was cute.

Rule #1 of Strip Search is apparently that you do not reference Strip Search. Doing that in your comic looks to be putting yourself on the fast track to elimination. It knocked out Alex and it damn near knocked out Katie now.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Daphinicusempath
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I'd lovvveee to see katies alternate comic idea

parmeisanEarth/MotherKoopahTroopahDaphinicusBlueBluesyldennjhericoDiplominatorHardmanEricsRaphDSAnialosempathahdok
  • ghostcatghostcat Registered User regular
    Katie's comic was more of a humorous feeling than a punchline joke, which isn't necessarily bad, but she is relying totally on her art to convey the humor of a situation. Ty had the funnier premise, but the problem was that he didn't spend enough time refining the wording, so it was confusing, and I had to read it twice to get it. Both were really good for 90 min. of work. That's a crazy short amount of time to do a complete strip, and I can't believe Ty went for 8 panels.

empath
  • Anana11Anana11 Registered User regular
    I generally feel uncomfortable during elimination style things, since I empathize with the contestants, but after two of these, I'll have to admit that my favorite episodes are the elimination ones. I love Jerry and Mike's humor (double entendre for the "elimination" round, HA!) and their banter with the contestants and each other. And, as others have said, this is really when we get to know the contestants. I don't have a favorite yet, but I'm glad Katie gets another shot.

empath
  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    I love that Mike and Jerry go talk to the loser afterward. They have a lot of good feedback, and it's nice to see the host go out and say "No hard feelings" afterward. They perfectly nailed Ty's problem, in my opinion. Being able to produce that much in 90 minutes is incredible, but sometimes a simpler, less cluttered alternative is better.

I'm starting to think of Katie as just a meat grinder, they basically told her "We don't really like the joke, or the premise, but your art is so fucking incredible that you get to stay anyway."

AnjinMSewblonempath
  • DaphinicusDaphinicus Registered User new member
    Rock ON, Katie. Without even seeing the comics I found myself rooting for you, and I have to admit, I'm now split between you and Team Lexxy. Let's see how this goes!

Ty, you had the better joke, hands-down, and Mike and Jerry were spot on in their analysis. Glad you were able to walk away with such support from them!

RaphDS
  • smedricksmedrick Registered User new member
    I'm so glad my secret imaginary girlfriend got to stay another day.

RaphDSHeyThereElizaStratoPifmanSewblon
  • nerfherderhannerfherderhan Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Glad Katie made it through, but I was definitely feeling for Ty near the end. At this point, would love to hang out with all of the artists (and PA team of course)! I think the gettin' real talk with Mike and Jerry post-elimination is one of the strongest hooks of the show. With all of the ups-downs, stress and fun, having a real, positive connection and conversation is perfect.

HeyThereElizaempath
  • syldennsyldenn Registered User new member
    I feel like the only chance I get to see an artist's work on the show is if they're facing elimination. I really hope we get to see some actual strip drawing challenges.

nerfherderhanHardmanMaz-empath
  • Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    @Lamp

Err, there's a reason I put it in a *spoiler*

After the first elimination I went to some of the artists' bio pages and went to their websites just to sample their work. In doing this, I read through some of their sections and based on MY IMPRESSION of what that person wrote it really strongly hinted at the outcome. That is just the way i interpreted her use of language. Thank you for opening posting it though and disagreeing with me.

For example: (PAX SPOILER)

Abbey was just on the Pax Q&A panel and accused Mike of being a dick to the contestants to which Mike responded "abbey i have the authority to kick you out of pax too." Now, I perceive that as he has the ability to remove her from PAX just like he had the ability to remove her from the show. Or, if I read into the way he phrased it i "could" discern that he means he will throw her ass out of pax (playfully) just like he threw her off the show.

Again, they could just be trolling us and playing with our minds :(

romangorotautologicoTheSpyderPifmanKoopahTroopahempath
  • hotzphotzp Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Watching these elimination episodes is turning into an absolutely gut-wrenching experience. As a member of Team Katie, I am glad she made it through another round, but I agree with the judges in that there was no clear winner this time. I enjoy the reputation she is acquiring amongst the other contestants, though, as the serial-killer champion of Thunderdome.

I also had to constantly fight the urge to skip to the end of the video to find out who was eliminated.

empath
  • tautologicotautologico Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Gnomeland Security

Or they're not trolling, you're just reading too much into it.

tautologico on
    empath
  • World as MythWorld as Myth Registered User regular
    If Katie plays her cards right, she'll get the big bed every night.

kQwcZLJ.png
    TheSpyderEricsCambiataPanda Liker
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    someone needs to be a rebel and try to grab the LED at the bottom.

• jhericojherico Registered User new member
    I think Katie's comic was probably funnier to the audience than to M&J, because they're too much inside the system. It made me laugh out loud and I didn't really get why they through there was even a serious competition between the two.

MekkaB
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @GnomelandSecurity

Honestly I've been following all the artists' blogs and twitters since the show started and most of them have played coy with a joke about whether or not they will or won't get eliminated. Virtually all have made comments about how they had fun and were glad to be on the show, which if taken at face value might seem to imply they didn't win. It's possible someone is really letting something slip, but how would you know? I wouldn't read into any of it. In fact, if I were the winner, I'd probably go out of my way to avoid saying anything that could even imply I did well.

Lamp on
    empath
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    ...really expected a GPS of the future comic.

• JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Weak concept from Katie. I'm surprised she went with a strip referencing the contest directly after what happened to Alex.
    She didn't hear the conversation between Mike and Jerry, so she didn't know.

I don't see how a strip referencing the show isn't going to be drawn every elimination by at least one of the two people up. Most of the artists in the show write stuff referencing their life/situation, so they're going to be naturally inclined to include references to the show or the house.

I found Katie's strip the better of the two. It delivered a nice sight gag with strong appeal in the drawing. I'm afraid Ty's wordplay joke just didn't work for me.

empathdarklao
  • toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    sad face cutout. nice, and also like...ouch.

empath
  • dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    I feel like this episode had the highest joke/min content thus far.

Still laughing about Kathleen making the frowny face out of the loser's cartoon.

empath
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ehhhh I think they made the wrong choice here. Neither comic was great but at least Ty's was trying some sort of joke. Katie's looked nice but was just really flat.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Sewblonempath
  • toaster_pimptoaster_pimp Registered User regular
    also <3 Kate, but think Ty should have won this one.

still, i ain't no m&j biggest-on-the-web-cartoonist...so yeah. i'm sure they got their reasons.

• PsinorhcPsinorhc Registered User new member
    I'm thinking the comment about Katie's comic being a glimpse into her twisted mind was telling. That is something that can be easily applied to a significant portion of what Mike and Jerry do.

Also, both times Katie has reacted to the decision with visible sadness when they announce who is leaving and destroy the print, which is incredibly endearing.

empath
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ehhhh I think they made the wrong choice here. Neither comic was great but at least Ty's was trying some sort of joke. Katie's looked nice but was just really flat.

Although they didn't say so, I suspect they weren't just basing their decision on this one comic. I think they were also thinking about how the winner would fair for the rest of the show, and decided Katie was the stronger choice.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    Ty seemed nice, I just didn't care for his art and whenever someone would talk to him on screen it was either dead silence or he would just ramble without saying anything. Thought Katie's comic was better though, so huzzah.

• kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    I am super glad katie won the elimination, but have to agree that both strips weren't winning material.

Gabe and Tycho mentioned the third Elimination being tough, so i am looking forward to that. I also love Katies comments on the finished strips. "Don't let me do this again, guys". I read that as a warning :P.

• HardmanHardman Registered User regular
    Feel bad for Ty, but was glad to see that he felt better after getting some encouragement from Jerry and Mike. It was a close one, neither were especially great (both were very good for the amount of time they had though) but I would have made the same choice.

Still, it wasn't a slam dunk for Katie. I imagine she'll be the one everybody's gunning for after this elimination. Bottom line, if she wants a reprieve from the elimination round - she's gonna have to win the daily event.

I sure don't envy Mike and Jerry for having to pick who gets eliminated. Makes you wonder how much we don't see after all the edits have been made.

empath
  • nataliesharknatalieshark Registered User regular
    Yay Katie! Poor Ty though.

• bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    Katies my girl, crushing all comers!

• pariah164pariah164 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Poor Katie! People need to stop sending her to elimination, ffs. But I am rooting for her. Hopefully, when day 3 comes, she'll do something awesome, win immunity, and then send the two people who put her up for elimination before to elimination themselves. See how they like it.

pariah164 on
    empath