The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Elimination #2

13

Posts

  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I thought Katie's comic was amazing, personally. Surprised Mike and Jerry didn't like it.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    OK, after about my fourth attempt to read Katie's webcomic, I discovered that you can click into any page and then you get taken to a page where you can click to the start. So for anybody else who's curious, here is the first comic (so far as I can tell):

    http://dummcomics.com/2008/05/07/ballad-of-skadi-pt-1/

  • JonahJonah Registered User new member
    I liked Katie's joke a lot and not just because I'm falling in love with her. A seemingly innocuous event leading to disaster is a comedy staple and the immediate context made it even funnier.

    This show is amazing! But I'm starting to sense a secret alliance. Oh well... I guess the parameters of the contest encourage it.

    NijhazerMekkaB
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The popcorn bit had me laughing more than it should have.

    Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN - 1639-6388-9968 - Switch
    empathdarklaoKalTorak
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    Honestly, I was a little uncomfortable in the first elimination seeing the art ripped in front of the artist. It just seemed harsh. Kathleen then turned the elimination into a really funny joke in this episode.

    I don't think either strip had a great joke, but honestly I preferred Katie's strip both for art and for the joke.

    Wordplay is not inherently high-concept. I almost wonder if neither Mike nor Jerry got it initially and didn't want to admit in front of the camera that they didn't get it, so they praised it as high concept to cover up the fact that it was a poorly executed joke on semantics.

    Though they were spot on that the transition between panels was quite well done. I imagine if Ty had time, he could execute some high-concept stuff well. I just don't think this strip qualifies.

    As for contestants perhaps hinting they were eliminated, 11 out of the 12 will be eliminated at some point. For any contestant you can name, more than likely, they got eliminated during the course of the show.

    PeterBmanhotzpempath
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    And I can't say it enough, but I love Jerry's Russian Gangster outfit as well. But as I said in a previous thread, I really hope he just steps it up over the course of the show even more.

    I want to see a Flava-Flav clock around his neck by the finale.

    empath
  • noderoomnoderoom Registered User new member
    Love Katie. Miss Alex. Feel like Ty's comic was a little hard to follow but he does solid work, esp. given how little time was allotted. Hoping we see a return of those eliminated before the finale. LOL @ bowl of popcorn.

  • SlothboySlothboy Registered User regular
    The "Sad Face" bit absolutely killed me. You guys do good work.

    empath
  • Ernie OportoErnie Oporto Registered User regular
    How can I get my own Abby?
    That was the right pick for Elim 2.
    I hope Monica is next.

    spiffmanaempathdarklao
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Hardman wrote: »
    Still, it wasn't a slam dunk for Katie. I imagine she'll be the one everybody's gunning for after this elimination.
    No one else knows it wasn't a slam dunk, though

    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    As for contestants perhaps hinting they were eliminated, 11 out of the 12 will be eliminated at some point. For any contestant you can name, more than likely, they got eliminated during the course of the show.

    All the winner has to do is reasonably keep their mouth shut, put out a similarly ambiguous message about leaving or getting kicked off or having had a fun time, and the noise will probably make the winners/losers difficult to discern.

  • WangchangbackupWangchangbackup Registered User regular
    This might be unreasonable, but I wish people would stop discussing who "let slip" that they were eliminated in the comments. I come down here to see what people are saying about the episode, but I intentionally avoid reading their blogs and such so I don't have a potential sneak peek at who does or doesn't win. Which does me no good if it's posted in the comments. If you're wrong, no harm done, but if you're right, it makes it kind of pointless to actually watch and discuss the show every day. Maybe I'm the only one. I just like reading what people have to say about THIS episode; but I don't want someone telling me who loses the NEXT episode before it even happens.

    NijhazerempathSpiritfirefightinfilipino
  • margiesumargiesu Registered User new member
    Great job by both artists, but I loved Maki's strategy comment. Also I would like to see bleeping out the swear words so my art loving kids could watch too. Great show!

    NijhazerSandrockcstmempath
  • GojiraXGojiraX Registered User regular
    Damn, I know the artists were probably too distracted to think about it, but why would anyone not have to do an elimination? Is that a subtle hint that the last 2 remaining will win instead of fighting it out?

    Also I see a lot of people discussing whether Katie's joke was funny or not, but without even mentioning the punchline (or lack thereof) I don't think it even followed the theme very well, especially considering how last time she nailed both themes.

  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    @GOJIRAX I'm guessing either the final challenge will be in a different format or Mike was just talking out of his ass about someone not having to go up for elimination.

  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Even if you want to use what someone said in their blog to "spoil" what's going to happen in future episodes, the least you can do is put it in spoiler tags. Like so:

    Extreaminatus
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That said I sincerely doubt anyone has really given away their fate in thier blogs or anything like that. People just like taking the tiniest amount of text and crafting a story around it, that's why people ridiculously think that the only people who are getting put in eliminations are the "best" people, or that Amy is some kind of diabolical mastermind. There's so little to go on, people figure making things up works just as well as reality.

    Lamp
  • HardmanHardman Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Hardman wrote: »
    Still, it wasn't a slam dunk for Katie. I imagine she'll be the one everybody's gunning for after this elimination.
    No one else knows it wasn't a slam dunk, though

    I meant they'll be gunning for her more now because she's just won two elimination rounds in a row. At the end of the video they were calling her the reigning champ and all that kind of stuff. Yes, unless she shares any details - nobody knows yet how close she came to losing this round.

    Bottom line, Katie's gotta start winning the daily challenges. If only to have one night where she doesn't have to pack all of her her stuff before heading back. :)

    I did think it was interesting to hear that they don't have Internet at the house - that would just kill me. After day two, we'll see who's got the shakes. I wonder if any of the neighbors had open WiFi, I know I would have checked.

  • AngryManSmashAngryManSmash Registered User new member
    Katie to win.

  • kolybrykolybry Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Hardman wrote: »

    I meant they'll be gunning for her more now because she's just won two elimination rounds in a row. At the end of the video they were calling her the reigning champ and all that kind of stuff. Yes, unless she shares any details - nobody knows yet how close she came to losing this round.

    I think they should be targeting Maki to get him to use that ReDraw Ticket as soon as possible.

    kolybry on
    empath
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ...people ridiculously think...that Amy is some kind of diabolical mastermind. There's so little to go on, people figure making things up works just as well as reality.

    Which show are you watching? Amy has discussed her many strategies at great length.

    empathdarklao
  • MichaellaneMichaellane Registered User regular
    This is a far better timesink than Hell's Kitchen.

    empath
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    PeterBman wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ...people ridiculously think...that Amy is some kind of diabolical mastermind. There's so little to go on, people figure making things up works just as well as reality.

    Which show are you watching? Amy has discussed her many strategies at great length.

    See what I'm talking about? People hear "Ooh, I'd better really listen in because there probably really will be a test!" and they translate that to "I am the chessmaster, and everyone else here is my pawn, muahahahaha!"

    It's endearing, in a way.

    BogartSegempathdarklao
  • SiddownSiddown Registered User regular
    @PeterBMan

    "Which show are you watching? Amy has discussed her many strategies at great length."

    Is there a director's cut of these episodes where she goes on at length discussing her strategy?

    Cambiataenderandrewempath
  • zegotazegota Registered User regular
    Congrats Katie! I was a little disappointed in her comic, but only a little. Still lovely art, and a lot of potential, but I think Mike and Jerry were right in that she would have gone home if up against someone who was on their A game.

    Ty's comic was just a mess. It made very little sense, was a fairly poor retelling of "Who's on First," and the art itself wasn't great -- likely caused by choosing to do a 6 panel comic in 90 minutes. He seems like a nice guy, but I'll echo Nick and say that he needs to calm down and think out what he wants to say before he says it, because his comic was very difficult to follow.

    empathdarklao
  • DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    I was kind of surprised that the creators didn't get Katie's joke. I laughed when I saw the joke.

    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    zegota wrote: »
    Congrats Katie! I was a little disappointed in her comic, but only a little. Still lovely art, and a lot of potential, but I think Mike and Jerry were right in that she would have gone home if up against someone who was on their A game.

    Ty's comic was just a mess. It made very little sense, was a fairly poor retelling of "Who's on First," and the art itself wasn't great -- likely caused by choosing to do a 6 panel comic in 90 minutes. He seems like a nice guy, but I'll echo Nick and say that he needs to calm down and think out what he wants to say before he says it, because his comic was very difficult to follow.

    disagree, I laughed at Ty's comic because the bickering was very obviously in the vein of Who's on First. His art was fine and the writing was funny.
    but I agree it was rough and could have benefited from editing and more forethought

    tumblr_mw0i6gT4l61qgwizbo1_250.png :bz: :bz: :bzz:
    empathEricStratton
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Darkwyndre wrote: »
    I was kind of surprised that the creators didn't get Katie's joke. I laughed when I saw the joke.

    I don't think they didn't get it. It's more that it's not formally a joke. They described it well: It's a look into her terror, not a joke, really. And while the drawings are quite funny, the fact that she didn't write a joke into it is a valid criticism.

  • tubbstosteronetubbstosterone Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    I understand Gabe and Tycho's criticism of Katie's work, but I did laugh my ass off when I saw it. I like how it commented about how anxiety can cause us to blow situations out of proportion to a ridiculous degree.

    That said, I think Gabe and Tycho going to the SUV afterwards to talk with the eliminated cast member and offer feedback is amazing. I don't like reality TV because it just feels like exploitation, but here it feels genuine and that they really do care about cast members leaving better than how they arrived.

    tubbstosterone on
    empath
  • dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    This isn't at all a spoiler about who wins, but if you're really spoiler allergic it does touch on the format of the show in the future.
    Guys, I'm pretty sure the winner for Strip Search has not yet been determined. Does no one remember this $750 reward from the Penny Arcade kickstarter last year?
    For next year's PA:The Series filming (Strip Search - our new reality show for finding the next big webcomic), you can be one of 50 people in a live studio audience component in Seattle, WA. (you need to handle travel costs)

    As far as I know that hasn't happened yet. On top of that, Khoo said (in a tweet I think), that there would be 30 to 35 episodes, and that they were being vague for a reason.

    So basically, the show will end with a live component which hasn't been filmed yet.

    2850-1.png
    CambiataSejarki
  • LoneGunmanLoneGunman Registered User regular
    Katie's was definitely better in terms of presentation but definitely as something that was dropped on the Web and was expected to "sell" it'd crash and burn. Despite that Ty's looked like it could've gone somewhere but it really just didn't...so flat.

    And, yeah, Kathleen? Totally uncalled for but fucking hilarious!

    empath
  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    Now I'm curious as to what Katie's other idea was.

    Because as Mike and Jerry were talking about 'a comic with no joke', my heart started to sink because I knew they were talking about Katie's one. As with other comments, if it was against any other comic she probably would have been the one going home.

    I feel that this is too short! The premise is that there's a little challenge, a big challenge and an elimination round - but the only place we get to find out and actually get to meet/know the contestants is during the elimination round. (Even though this is over) Maybe if there was like 5 extra minutes onto each challenge episodes so that little stories in the house could be told...

    empathMekkaB
  • evil santaevil santa To infinity...and beyond!Registered User regular
    So my plan from now is to basically watch only the elimination episodes. I don't really care for the drama/strategising of the regular 'reality' portions of the show, but I find the questioning of the artists under pressure (as well as the criticism and/or praise) are the truly interesting component to the process. Time jokes aside, I enjoy the banter that Mike and Jerry offer (a reason why I am super keen for the podcast to return) and difficult questions they pose. And obviously, I love the art that is generated by the process and seeing how the artists are able to problem solve in the time given.

    Pinny Pals Profile

    “I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
    SewblonTheSpyderempath
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Nope. No director's cut.

    I was referring to the first elimination episode. In which she says, "I felt really strongly that if I chose Alex and Katie that Katie would come back and that Alex wouldn't and it would just seem like I was not taking strategy into account." Having a strategy that would make it seem like you didn't have a strategy, is a strategy.

    Or the Ducks episode, where she said, "I knew that I could reconcile with Katie. Or at least surface-level reconcile with Katie in front of the other contestants. Um, but if Alex came back that I hadn't really talked to him previously in the day, hadn't really made an impression on me, that there was no way that I could, like, get any kind of, um, alliance going with him." Keeping up appearances? Alliances? This is strategical thinking.

    Maybe my mistake was referring to that as "at length". You and I might have different definitions of the term. I apologize terribly for the confusion.

    empath
  • PeterBmanPeterBman Registered User regular
    Nope. No director's cut.

    I was referring to the first elimination episode. In which she says, "I felt really strongly that if I chose Alex and Katie that Katie would come back and that Alex wouldn't and it would just seem like I was not taking strategy into account." Having a strategy that would make it seem like you didn't have a strategy, is a strategy.

    Or the Ducks episode, where she said, "I knew that I could reconcile with Katie. Or at least surface-level reconcile with Katie in front of the other contestants. Um, but if Alex came back that I hadn't really talked to him previously in the day, hadn't really made an impression on me, that there was no way that I could, like, get any kind of, um, alliance going with him." Keeping up appearances? Alliances? This is strategical thinking.

    Maybe my mistake was referring to that as "at length". You and I might have different definitions of the term. I apologize terribly for the confusion.

    darklao
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Is there some rule that the comics produced have to be funny? Since "lack of funny" has been mentioned several times in the comments, and by Mike and Jerry in the elimination as well. That surprised me, not all art is funny, some is just emotional, or dramatic.

    darklao
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    @Evermourn - I've wondered about that as well. Not every artist on this show uses humor in their comics (particularly Lexxy and Mac), so are they at a huge disadvantage if they enter the elimination stages? Or will Mike and Jerry know enough about their comic styles to look for something different in their comics?

  • WhiskersmgooWhiskersmgoo Registered User regular
    I'm not an artist, so could someone explain to me why Abby's chin/shoulder tangent is considered a bad thing?

    Also want Abby to win purely because of how uncomfortable she looks in the title sequence.

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X The woods are lovely dark and deepRegistered User regular
    Ah nuts, waddled into the wrong thread and got spoilered. D:

    And miles to go before I sleep.
  • JonahJonah Registered User new member
    Katie's joke was definitely a joke and it was a funny joke. Innocuous event leading to future disaster is a classic comedy staple. Think of George Castanza's gym coach getting fired because of George. Punchline at end of show: Coach is homeless madman clutching Jerry's library book. Or think of the timeline episode from Community, the whole episode was their version of this classic joke. A lot of people have done variations of this gag because it's great. Katie's immediate context made it even funnier.

    unexpect3rdLesStewart
Sign In or Register to comment.