As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearthstone- Blizzard Free to Play CCG. Beta Sign-ups open!

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grobian wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    The real answer to constructed is to stop trying to play the long game. All these people want to play until 40 turns taking their sweet bullshit time 5 minutes each turn deciding that they wanted to play their one card.

So you put together a shitload of murlocs and power overwhelming and blood imps and rush these fuckers down.

You win or lose in 3-5 minutes.

gg

Can you post your Murloc deck? I think I'm missing a couple of Murlocs, but maybe I can craft that up. I had no success in trying to build a non-Murloc Warlock deck.
    1x Soulfire
    2x Power Overwhelming
    2x Blood Imp
    2x Flame Imp
    2x Grimscale Oracle
    2x Murloc Raider
    2x Murloc Tidecaller
    1x Voidwalker
    1x Demonfire
    2x Bluegill Warrior
    1x Ironbeak Owl
    2x Murloc Tidehunter
    2x Shadow Bolt
    1x Coldlight Oracle
    2x Coldlight Seer
    1x Felguard
    2x Murloc Warleader
    1x Shattered Sun Cleric
    1x Shadowflame
    1x Old Murk-eye

Still working things out. It certainly doesn't feel ideal. Sometimes my hand will feel entirely useless, but a lot of that is a byproduct of going up against a ton of mages. I just spam cards as if the enemy has no AOE. If they do I spam cards. If they hit a second AOE I usually just surrender if I don't have enough blood imps/warleaders out to mitigate the damage. Play super aggro and draw hard and you either win or lose. Kind of a fun change from dragging things out too long.

I'd probably replace felguard with doomguard if I had it and maybe slip Jaraxxus in there if I want to drag things out. But typically games are decided by about 6-7 mana.

JAEF on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I need a chrome extension for heathstone now, I guess. can't wait to constantly switch between it and autocard...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There are absolutely, provably, 100% bad cards that should never, ever, ever be played. Guaranteed.

Then someone will come out and build a deck around that card and blow the whole game wide open, and the card will be OP and that will become common knowledge, and anyone saying that card is bad will get ridiculed.

What I'm saying is that maybe wisp sucks right now based on our current understanding of the meta. Great. But that understanding is going to change, and even "bad" cards may be good some day, and dismissing people who are genuinely trying and experimenting with them is poor form.

Personally I kinda like them along with other cards that buff all your minions or buff based on # of minions, etc. Perhaps there'll be an expansion eventually that expands on this kind of play and Wisps will be mandatory to include.

It'll be interesting to see.

In other news, I took a break from packing last night long enough to play my first round of arena with my Shaman deck. Also my first win. Really liking Overload as a mechanic.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    wisps might be okay in a different game but board control is so important in hearthstone i can't imagine a world where they're not dead draws

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I agree that they are good for being discarded

When you're putting a deck together doh ho ho

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Please no more wisp discussion.

Changed my druid deck around last night to just early removal and bombs. Pretty fun in unranked, actually seems to work against decent priest decks as well because there are so many 4 power creatures in it.

Also, I have spent a total of 2 dollars on this game, for one arena entry. The pack I got from it contained Yesra, so even though I may look like it, please don't call me Ed Norton.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I had some fun with my warlock last night, after crafting 2 flame imps and pulling in azure drake, some ogre magis, auctioneer, and acolyte of pain.

I might try to expand on that spell power/draw theme and see if it works without becoming too combo-ey. In both games I quickly got a lot of options and my spells were a lot more usable, without life tap slowing down minion drops.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Are all the daily quests only for 40g?

Edit: oh a website with answers: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest

Sorry!

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Are all the daily quests only for 40g?

Some are worth 60 - the win 5 "dominance" quests

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Grobian wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    The real answer to constructed is to stop trying to play the long game. All these people want to play until 40 turns taking their sweet bullshit time 5 minutes each turn deciding that they wanted to play their one card.

So you put together a shitload of murlocs and power overwhelming and blood imps and rush these fuckers down.

You win or lose in 3-5 minutes.

gg

Can you post your Murloc deck? I think I'm missing a couple of Murlocs, but maybe I can craft that up. I had no success in trying to build a non-Murloc Warlock deck.

I feel like warlock was the worst selection of basic cards out of any class. Succubus? Terrible. Void taunter? Terrible. Drain Life? Very inefficient removal (compare with frost bolt) and +spell power doesn't seem to give you more life returned. Sacrificial Pact? Possibly the worst card in the game. Corruption? Terrible removal.

So...I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you feel like you are really struggling with a new warlock.

I'd try maybe Paladin or Druid instead. Both of those can be pretty nice with just some certain commons crafted.

That's actually an interesting discussions....what classes people think have the strongest basic decks or are the strongest with the addition of a couple easily crafted commons? Or perhaps rares?

Hunter can have a good unleash the hounds deck with just basics and commons.

Paladin can have a pretty sick deck with just basics and some good commons/rares.

I think mage, rogue, and druid are all strong contenders just because of their hero powers.

Warrior can have some good decks, but I think it has a terrible hero power and some not so great basic cards. (I feel like charge, execute, block, and whirlwind are all either overrated or terrible)

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    I think Mage and Hunter are pretty strong out the gate.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Void Walker and Terror are both singularly amazing.

Turn 1, Walker.
    Turn 2, Demonfire it for a 3/5.
    Let it eat some stuff.
    Drop a Terror to absorb it and keep that power rolling.

Warlock is amazing.

It's just really frustrating when it doesn't go exactly right.

• Options
    Warlock has a ton of awesome potential interactions like that (power overwhelming a portal, for example, attacking with it, then dropping your void terror to absorb the extra power). But for the most part they all seem to rely on rares/epics.

But if I had all the rares and epics I could want, that would probably be one of the first decks I'd try. It looks really fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    hmmm, I kind of liked Void Walker. Why's it not so good?

I have grown to dislike Succubus though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    hmmm, I kind of liked Void Walker. Why's it not so good?

I have grown to dislike Succubus though.

It dies without trading to any relevant 2+ drop.

• Options
    I notice the little skulls by the deck on the gameboard. Are they going to implement graveyard interaction at some point?

• Options
    void walker is only relevant when paired with blood imp

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    void walker is only relevant when paired with blood imp

Or a demonfire.
    Or a void terror.
    Or tapping a 2 power something and mortal coiling it for a card.
    Or... Any other synergy in the Warlock deck.

It's still a 1/3 taunter for 1 which synergizes with just about every other buff related or creature in the Warlock deck.

The idea is that you drop it on turn one to take hits and kill his little dudes. Then hit it with a Demonfire on turn two or three to make it a real threat.

It can essentially be a 3/5 taunter for 3 mana. Which is pretty god damn great. Especially since you're spreading that mana over a couple of turns, and your opponent doesn't know when you can buff it.

It's relevant all the time, and only gets better with just about anything else. I'm not sure what land you play in, but putting down a 1/3 taunter on turn one or two is starting the game on the right foot for me.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    it doesn't really kill his little dudes though because no one runs wisps :bz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Every 2 drop 3-2 is going to kill the vw and still be alive. Every time i see one i just thank my opponent for the free 2 for 1.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Every 2 drop 3-2 is going to kill the vw and still be alive. Every time i see one i just thank my opponent for the free 2 for 1.

Though this may be true, it also saves you a potential 3 damage hit. And Warlocks spend enough of their health doing random crap anyway that taking hits really isn't in their job description.

• Options
    edited November 2013

That's really goosey, even with the bee.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    How is that a two for one?

If anything, killing a VW with a 3/2 opens yourself up to be exploited. You've just created a 3/1 which lets it get coil'd to let the Warlock draw. So you've traded your 2 drop for my 1 drop taunt and a card. For (my) two mana over two turns you lost a dude, I drew a card.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options

That's really goosey, even with the bee.

:bz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How is that a two for one?

If anything, killing a VW with a 3/2 opens yourself up to be exploited. You've just created a 3/1 which lets it get coil'd to let the Warlock draw. So you've traded your 2 drop for my 1 drop taunt and a card. For (my) two mana over two turns you lost a dude, I drew a card.

In that case, your opponent played 1 card, you played two and drew one. So it's an even one-for-one trade.

If you, the Warlock, don't have mortal coil in your hand, then it's a two-for-one trade. So it's probably a two-for-one.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bear in mind mortal coil is also rather a weak card. I think relying on mortal coil to prop up void walker is simply throwing good money after bad.

You go first and drop your 1-3.
    He drops a 3-2.
    Turn 2
    You trade, your minion is dead, his is alive.
    ...you have 2 mana and can either mortal coil his guy to finish it off, or put down your own 2 drop (or use your hero power to pull another card). You can only do 1 of them, however.
    So lets say you use mortal coil to finish his guy and draw a card.
    Then it's his turn and he puts down another 2 drop.

You've each lost one card from hand, but he has board control and has control of the tempo.

Or, more likely, he drops a faire dragon and you are just fucked. Straight up 2 for 1 there and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm not saying there are zero situations in which the taunter can ever do anything even slightly useful, I'm saying it's a below average card, and that the warlock basic set is stuffed full of below average to really bad cards, making it hard to be a newbie warlock. I'm not criticizing new warlocks for taking it - they have no real choice in the matter. It's like, the only demon you have, other than the succubus, which is a guaranteed 2 for 1 all the time, because it dies to any 3-2 2 drop AND makes you discard a card.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    One of the traps that you can fall into is viewing any board control that takes place before the 3/2's hit the table as relevant.

I bet if we had the statistics, we'd see that doing ANYTHING before the two drop is essentially irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yeah, outside of a murloc deck, the only 1 drops I would really consider are leper gnome, young priestess, and abusive sergeant.

They can all trade with the inevitable 3-2 - as long as you aren't fighting a mage, rogue, or druid. If you are, just save your card. This works because these cards aren't completely useless later in the game. Abusive sergeant especially can be useful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    How is your opponent dropping a 3/2 on turn 1 without coining?

A more realistic situation:
    You drop a a void walker turn 1
    Your opponent passes because he doesn't play any 1 drops
    You drop a 2 cost minion
    Your opponent drops a 2 cost minion
    You either force a trade with your 2 drops (if it's advantageous to you) or let your opponent run his 2 drop into the void walker and save yourself 3 damage.

Not saying that voidwalker is the best card ever but it has it's place as a speedbump lategame and a way to help you get tempo early.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Further, if your opponent does coin on turn one to drop a two drop to deal with the VW, awesome. They just burned the coin to respond to your 1 cost 1/3 taunter. That, is an advantage.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Also, I have spent a total of 2 dollars on this game, for one arena entry. The pack I got from it contained Yesra, so even though I may look like it, please don't call me Ed Norton.

Ok, but no promises if you throw Ragnaros into the same deck as well.

I notice the little skulls by the deck on the gameboard. Are they going to implement graveyard interaction at some point?

I'd be willing to bet they've programmed in some hooks for using graveyard mechanics in the future. Call me crazy, but I'd also be willing to bet that the "gimmick" of the inevitable Death Knight class would be playing around with the graveyard (raise the last minion sent to the graveyard, pull a random minion from the graveyard, spell with damage based on # of minions in graveyard, etc.).

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    I play my money gnome all the time because he is hilarious and great.

I'm certainly paying to win.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    You go first and play 1 drop.
    Opponent coins 2 drop. (Coining a pint size summoner or a knife juggler or a fairie dragon or something is a great play, this should not be unexpected. If you follow it up with another 2 drop on your 2nd turn, then a 3 drop on your 3rd turn, well, that can be really hard to recover from.)
    Then you play your 2 drop.
    Then they play another 2 drop and their 2 drop kills your 1 drop and lives.

You're each down 2 cards, they have 2 minions on the board, you have 1. Not ideal.

If they go first and do nothing, then you go second and have the coin, you can throw out the voidwalker and some other good 1 cost creature, like a blood imp or flame imp. That's a great opening! Sadly neither imp is in the basic card set for warlock. Being able to coin out taunter + abusive sergeant would be a lot of fun. Coining taunter + the priestess that buffs your health by 1 would also be be fine. Your taunter would survive the initial assault from the opponents 3-2 and be able to attack a second time to finish it off. Of course, at that point, you're including multiple 1 drops in your deck just to prop up the weak void walker. If you make your entire deck a hyper aggressive one though, this isn't so much a problem.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, if your opponent has a perfect hand and you don't, it can be pretty bad.

More at 11.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, if your opponent has a perfect hand and you don't, it can be pretty bad.

More at 11.

You seem to be counting on having both the void walker and mortal coil in your opening hand that's certainly a much closer requirement for having the 'perfect hand' than it is to expect your opponent to have *any* 3-2 in his opening hand.

Coining a 2 drop on turn 1, and then putting down another 2 drop on turn 2, is hardly an improbable or unusual opening. To the extent the void walker makes sense as a turn 1 drop, it seems to rely much more heavily on having the right other cards in your hand than most other early drop situations.

I'm not saying the void walker is bad because in an opponents perfect hand situation he dies, I'm saying that barring the warlock having a perfect hand, the void walker will usually die without killing the most common opponents 2 drops. And yet, new warlocks pretty much still have to use him because they have no other viable demons. (Succubus is just a straight up 2 for 1 against any 3-2 drop, because of the discard. Also if it gets sapped you are really really in bad shape).

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular

I feel like this was a missed opportunity to close the thread and start the new one.

• Options
    I think dropping early cards is fine as long as you have a way to refill your hand later. Which is the warlock power so, looks good to me.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    felguard needs more oomph for that drawback

tazdingo is not impressed

• Options
    Hearthstone: You'll Get Your Key Eventually

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Spoilering this because I don't really want to continue this discussion, but I feel like there maybe some points in here others might want to think about.
    I'm counting on having the VW plus any other synergizing card in my hand.

If I get, in my opening four or five:

Voidwalker
    +
    Wisp
    Demonfire
    Blood Imp
    Mortal Coil

I'm in a good place.

My opponent can coin into a 3/2 and I have answers. If my opponent wants to spend the coin to drop a 3/2 (Raptor/Dragon/Juggler), which I can instantly kill while giving me something, I'm ok. I'm not down life, and he's spent the coin (meaning I don't need to keep my eyes open for an asynchronous powerplay). I don't mind playing the "what if" game, it can be a little fun. But, for all that is holy, please use some objectivity. Implying my opponent has a 3/2 to answer the VW, but I don't have anything else, is a shitty comparison. It's literally apples to oranges. "His perfect draw is totally an answer for your crappy draw."

Plus, considering the flexibility and utility most of these synergy spells have, I have a much higher likelihood of having any one of these answers than my opponent does of having 1 of possible six cards (also unlikely that they have devoted 6 spots to two drops).

I have two of each of those in my deck. More often than not, by turn three I have all the pieces (Allowing me to drop a 3/5 taunter on turn three if I haven't already got the VW down). About 30% of games I start with those pieces and it goes well.

Arguing a cards validity is fine, fun, and can be illuminating. It's just impossible to do it in the context of these ridiculous vacuums which are being proposed. VW combo's with cards in the Warlock deck which have a myriad of uses. Saying a 1/3 1 drop dies to a 3/2 two drop is really silly. There are entire mechanics not being taken into consideration.

I drop the VW, he coins and drops a juggler. I DF the VW, and since he can attack, eat the Juggler. Now I have a 3/2 taunter whose eaten his coin play. If he burns his turn two play to kill it (removal/hero power of some sort), that's a win in my book. He spent the first two turns blowing cards to deal with my on tempo play.

I drop the VW and Wisp, same thing. Sure, it costs me two cards, but it also cost him the coin and a fairly good ability (unless it's a raptor, in which case it was a losing trade on my end). In this example though, I have two free mana on turn two to do something with after I've cleared the board. Considering we're talking warlock here, being down a card or two isn't that big a deal.

Yes. If I don't have anything which combo's with the VW, that's a bummer. He can coin into his 3/2 and I'm in a bad position. That is just as likely to happen though, as him not having the 3/2 until turn 11. If you want to frame an example, do it with objectivity in mind. A card's use extends far, far, beyond "well in this one scenario".

This is much like the Wisp conversation. Were a card's value is determined solely by a single event. Maybe I just play differently, but I look at cards based on how they interact, as opposed to the card on it's own. Trying to assign value based on how a card operates without any backing is rather hilarious. Since, you know, that's not how the game works. You should have a few cards which operate well on their own, maybe, but the majority of your deck should be trying to work together. Trying to amplify power as much as possible.

Especially in a warlock deck, where you can force draw and get cards out of the unknown, and into the known.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.