As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect 3] Bioware doing a ME3 MP map survey for those interested.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    All I know is that I want to slap one of those things on a krogan soldier.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    So 8/9 to Blood Pack banner. Looking at which character I still need, "Hey, the Kroguard only needs 15 more waves.... wait... didn't I just promote Vanguard?"

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    damn tagitis..

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    damn...

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    edited March 2013
    THIS NEVER HAPPENED.

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Ex-Cerberus adept is so much fun with geth vision.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i think i have figured out why the AIU's heavy melee is so great

not only does it do great damage

but upon a hit, it has a small AoE cryo stagger that knocks back units that would otherwise melee you in the back

thus letting you chain together hits that can take out a whole spawn of marauders/pyros/phantoms etc.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    i think i have figured out why the AIU's heavy melee is so great

not only does it do great damage

but upon a hit, it has a small AoE cryo stagger that knocks back units that would otherwise melee you in the back

thus letting you chain together hits that can take out a whole spawn of marauders/pyros/phantoms etc.

There are some very lucky N7s who know her as "Cold Hands."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I've been having terrible matches today. My best matches have actually been on my level 9 turian soldier, where he got stuck into a silver match even though I queued for bronze, and on my asari adept where I queued for a silver and got stuck into a gold (both times the matches were in progress and it took me a while to figure out why everything was harder than I felt it should be).

Did I add you yet? What's your screen name?

You're still in the silver range, right? Still got a few characters to level up, and I'm 2 squad promotions short of the N7 banner so I wouldn't object to silver anytime soon. Only problem is that I think you and @Cambiata always play at 12:00 midnight to 6:00 in the morning, in my time :(

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm now realizing that my Insanity playthrough didn't give me either of the Insanity achievements.

Heck, the mission one is sitting at 27/27! Why don't you activate, sir?

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm now realizing that my Insanity playthrough didn't give me either of the Insanity achievements.

Did you change the difficulty at any point for any save?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Nope. I menu'd the difficulty to Insanity as soon as I gained control of Shep in the intro. The achievement says that I can't change it "after leaving Earth" so I should have been fine, right?

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »

It's going to take a long time to get to 27!

On the bright side, you have just 10,888,869,450,418,352,160,767,999,973 more to do.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I've been having terrible matches today. My best matches have actually been on my level 9 turian soldier, where he got stuck into a silver match even though I queued for bronze, and on my asari adept where I queued for a silver and got stuck into a gold (both times the matches were in progress and it took me a while to figure out why everything was harder than I felt it should be).

Did I add you yet? What's your screen name?

You're still in the silver range, right? Still got a few characters to level up, and I'm 2 squad promotions short of the N7 banner so I wouldn't object to silver anytime soon. Only problem is that I think you and @Cambiata always play at 12:00 midnight to 6:00 in the morning, in my time :(

I play gold with people here sometimes but I am always promoting characters and re-leveling (I enjoy the sense of progress it gives me) so I always have classes that need a few bronze games and then silver for a while.

Screen name is jeep_guy113

And I tend to be on quite a bit, certainly while spring break is happening so hit me up if you see me on.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This video was one of the related ones in the Mark Meer Talks Like Shepard one that was posted last page

can't stop laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QBqCNuB3g

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    This video was one of the related ones in the Mark Meer Talks Like Shepard one that was posted last page

can't stop laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QBqCNuB3g

That's not even the best one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This game.
    Thane's death...fuck. I play a Paragon Shepard, and I pulled the renegade interrupt on Udina when that fucker drew down on the Asari Councillor.

What even happens if Kolyat dies in Mass Effect 2? He's not there to give the blood transfusion and you never get to say goodbye in ME3?
    "Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness. Whose waves wear down stone and sand...wash the sins from this one, and set him on a distant shore of the infinite spirit. This one's heart is pure, but beset by wickedness and contention. Guide this one to where the traveler never tires, the lover never leaves, the hungry never starves. Guide this one, and he will be a companion to you, as he was to me."

"There's something I don't understand - his last moments were those of a hero. Why pray for salvation?"

"The prayer was not for him, commander. He has already asked forgiveness for the lives he has taken. His wish was for you."

Just....damn. Not a dry eye.

Edit:
    Thinking about it, I used a save editor to repair this Shep save's choices to reflect what mine were before I lost my hard drive, but I forgot to change my choice of Councillor from Udina to Anderson. Presumably, Udina winds up councillor anyways, and Anderson doesn't? Does that change anything? I've gotta say, when I executed Udina then BAILEY instead of Cereberus stepped out of the fucking elevator I about had a heart attack. When I saw Bailey, I thought maybe Udina wasn't a traitor, and the Salarian councillor was actually setting us up with false intel.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    This game.
    Thane's death...fuck. I play a Paragon Shepard, and I pulled the renegade interrupt on Udina when that fucker drew down on the Asari Councillor.

What even happens if Kolyat dies in Mass Effect 2? He's not there to give the blood transfusion and you never get to say goodbye in ME3?
    "Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness. Whose waves wear down stone and sand...wash the sins from this one, and set him on a distant shore of the infinite spirit. This one's heart is pure, but beset by wickedness and contention. Guide this one to where the traveler never tires, the lover never leaves, the hungry never starves. Guide this one, and he will be a companion to you, as he was to me."

"There's something I don't understand - his last moments were those of a hero. Why pray for salvation?"

"The prayer was not for him, commander. He has already asked forgiveness for the lives he has taken. His wish was for you."

Just....damn. Not a dry eye.

Edit:
    Thinking about it, I used a save editor to repair this Shep save's choices to reflect what mine were before I lost my hard drive, but I forgot to change my choice of Councillor from Udina to Anderson. Presumably, Udina winds up councillor anyways, and Anderson doesn't? Does that change anything? I've gotta say, when I executed Udina then BAILEY instead of Cereberus stepped out of the fucking elevator I about had a heart attack. When I saw Bailey, I thought maybe Udina wasn't a traitor, and the Salarian councillor was actually setting us up with false intel.

Changes a couple lines of dialogue only.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I see your ridiculous Mass Effect video and raise you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdHAfqoanA

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    The moment someone realized the Mass Effect assets could be imported to Garry's Mod must have been like when Fry realized his bank account had accrued billions in interest.

The possibilities... they're endless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHX8dvuFUQ

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I have not had a game yet today with less than a 4s delay between "hit button" and "grenade throws". This is in no way annoying.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Do people who play other online shooters notice a difference in the amount of lag? I've heard people talk about Mass Effect's netcode being poor, but I don't really have much understanding of that.

Basically what I'm asking is if in the next game we can expect less lag-related issues.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's a little noticeable when enemies teleport everywhere (not just banshees) and your shots don't go anywhere near stationary enemies

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I have not had a game yet today with less than a 4s delay between "hit button" and "grenade throws". This is in no way annoying.

I find this also increases the chances of getting the throwing animation, but no actual grenade thrown.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Or the freaking ops pack after you die bullshit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, can anyone give me a tl;dr about which weapons are just direct upgrades from differing ones in rifles/pistols/snipers/shotguns? If it matters, I'm running a SP Soldier on Hardcore, and I don't know if MP weapon damage values have been adjusted for balance...

Like, the Scimitar is pretty much superior to the Katana, right? The Eviscerator and Claymore do different things, but at least for the Katana-Scimitar comparison, one of these is a winner?

There's a ton of weapons in ME3, at least compared to ME2.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The Katana and Scimitar are more sidegrades. The Scimitar does less damage per pull of the trigger, but it shoots much more rapidly.

Both are rather mediocre weapons, and the Scimitar downright sucks against armor.

edit: for shotguns, the Eviscerator is decent, but eclipsed by the Reegar, Graal, Wraith (especially the Wraith), Geth Plasma Shotgun, Claymore, Piranha, Venom and Crusader.

edit2: the Reegar is a war crime in the guise of a shotgun. The Venom a grenade pattern launcher. So: what's your style?

Orca on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Basically. Any shotgun that rare or UR is pretty good.

Well, except the Disciple unless you like want to use the Heavy Melee attachment and keep a decent cooldown.

Also this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgoNSTctMEekdHIwa081S0FBVS1ZZzdWeXRnbGRDYnc&output=html has all the information for all the weapons MP and SP.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So I picked ME3 as my free gift on Origin for purchasing Sim City.

I have become so used to playing ME3 on my PS3 with the terrible, horrible, awfully long load times, that it was almost like playing a different game. A game that doesn't take 2 minutes to load every screen change.

Also, I went straight into a silver with the default human adept at level 1 and died less than the dudes who were level 20 and actually had real items. Note: The predator pistol rank 1 is not a real item.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Do people who play other online shooters notice a difference in the amount of lag? I've heard people talk about Mass Effect's netcode being poor, but I don't really have much understanding of that.

Basically what I'm asking is if in the next game we can expect less lag-related issues.

Yeah, there is lag. You don't really notice it when you're not hosting but hosting compared to not hosting makes a big difference.

Like when you're hosting you tend to kill stuff faster and die less(because you're notified of getting shot faster so you can react quicker).

It isn't that big of a deal since ME is a co-op game and you're playing against the computer and not other human beings but the MP could see a lot of adjustments as far as making a better experience for everyone goes.

For one a lobby system and ping indicator would be much appreciated.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I've heard people talk about Mass Effect's netcode being poor, but I don't really have much understanding of that.
    Have you experienced things like invisible enemies/players? Abilities/guns having no effect when applied to targets? Assorted stuff (biotic charge being a prime example) being unreliable when not the host? That is poor netcode.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Are you talking about on the PC, Drag? Because on PS3 I actually don't notice that much lag...usually. The only time I notice is when the whole game is fucked up and other crazy stuff is also happening, like me not being able to see my squad mates, or me not being able to see mission objectives. But the lag doesn't really ever bother me.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I picked ME3 as my free gift on Origin for purchasing Sim City.

I have become so used to playing ME3 on my PS3 with the terrible, horrible, awfully long load times, that it was almost like playing a different game. A game that doesn't take 2 minutes to load every screen change.

Also, I went straight into a silver with the default human adept at level 1 and died less than the dudes who were level 20 and actually had real items. Note: The predator pistol rank 1 is not a real item.

The predator X is actually quite good in bronze matches because it weighs nothing and you can empty the clip extremely fast.

I still use it as a sidearm on most characters as I'm leveling them. It has no place in silver and above matches at all though.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Are you talking about on the PC, Drag? Because on PS3 I actually don't notice that much lag...usually. The only time I notice is when the whole game is fucked up and other crazy stuff is also happening, like me not being able to see my squad mates, or me not being able to see mission objectives. But the lag doesn't really ever bother me.

You notice it when you're playing on Gold and playing either an extremely squishy class (Drell, non-Jugg Geth), or one that does its business up close and personal (Novaguard, Fury, Valkyrie).

Off-host you'll die loads more, both because you notice you're getting shot sooner, and because you're able to react to getting shot sooner (and possibly react before getting shot in the first place).

• Options
    edited March 2013
    No. On xbox. And really, I would say when you get in a room with a decent connection the netcode is okay(and all and all I rarely have shitty games just games where I noticed lag behavior).

I would say the biggest issues that happen with lag is the sound cutting out(this happens a lot), me getting shot and it taking a moment to register, then me dying shortly after.

This is something that I would say I notice the most when hosting.

When I'm host, I can dodge burst fire from Centurions/Marauders mid-burst, when I'm not hosting its pretty much a fifty-fifty.

Like have you ever noticed the times when you dodge a shot, die anyway then rubberband back to the spot you just dodged away from. That's lag.

And I would say that while there will probably always be lag, if we could see the connection of our host beforehand that would go a long way to making it more bearable for everyone.

Also, try playing one of the non-Kroguard vanguard classes host/off-host. Its like night and day.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    there is a long enough list of things that are unreliable off-host that i'm having trouble not running into at least one on most builds

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »

I find this also increases the chances of getting the throwing animation, but no actual grenade thrown.

Oh that too, and my FAVORITE, "throw, see grenade go, no boom, turn, run, oh hey there it is" as the grenade goes flying in the direction you are now facing.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I should clarify. I'm in no way saying lag doesn't occur in Mass Effect. When I said:

I was referring to netcode. I'm only vaguely aware of the term and I don't have any frame of reference to compare it to.

I've experienced all those laggy things. Actually lately I've had a run where I've had a few of the really bad matches where either you or your teammates are just teleporting around the map. And then there are all the other more minor cases that are character dependent- Dark Sphere not launching for the Collector, Turian Stability passives, the Annihilation Field visuals getting inverted, using the Crusader, etc.

What I was wondering if this is something that is more pronounced on Mass Effect compared to other online games. In other words, if it partly a software issue or is it hardware (e.g. the connections). I imagine at least some of it is software. And it's probably more noticeable in Mass Effect given how it seems to impact powers more than weapons. If I'm playing a soldier and relying primarily on my gun, the lag has to be pretty bad for me to notice it. Otherwise it doesn't really bother me too much there. But trying to play a Slayer offhost- definitely noticeable.

Phoenix138 on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Which would be hilarious if friendly fire were an option.

• Options
    Well. I would say that as far as ME goes...its problem come more from matchmaking than anything.

That said it does have some problems. Like I said, lag causes a lot of audio/visual problems that really need to be fixed in the next iteration.