As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    I couldn't agree more with that point, I tend to see that as the reasoning why people keep going back to WoW and why it keeps going strong. I think it also has to do alot with the world and how "rich" in "story" it is.

Signed up for beta using the OP information..Hope it starts soon, I want a Deathbot with a laserwang pew pewing stuff!

• FantasticataneseFantasticatanese Registered User regular
    Long time lurker here that's played with a few PA groups in various new MMOs, just had my first exposure to this title after seeing the newest trailer and now I can't get enough. Hope its cool that I mooched the group invite info to try to up my chances of a beta invite, heh. I gotta say this looks great so far, definitely liking that there is no dedicated dps class and that everyone has a "useful" role that they can fill in a group. Player housing looks pretty ambitious and I can't wait to see what kinda cool stuff you can do with it. Also gun mages ftw.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    I was also (as many were) excited by GW2's notion of disbanding the Trinity, thanks to how it freed up group combinations and eliminated wait times for groups... in theory... in practice it did none of those things. It was a noble experiment, but for many it failed.

In hindsight, I think the MMO that got class-based-design most-right and the real next step in that regard is actually Rift. Since you could cover multiple roles, and multiple roles well, you never felt trapped, it was pretty easy to find groups and you never felt like you really had to adopt "This Is The Only Way You May Set Up Your Healer/Tank/DPS Or GTFO" builds. Rift of course had the problem that the actual moment to moment gameplay was WoW, which is something GW2 did manage to fix and Wildstar is following it's example.

In a similar way GW2's content solution of "no quests, only what you find around the world" was exciting, but fell on the lack of a coherent story and way to push you forward into the world. Wildstar appears to be following GW2's example on lessening the reliance on quest hubs while still giving the tried-and-true ! quests to push you forward and tell the stories of the world.

MMOs need to evolve, is the point, in the Trinity idea, content and gameplay. Evolve doesn't mean throw everything out and try to start from scratch (GW2), Wildstar, to me, seems to realize that.

Agreed. I do hope they implement the controller, since so far it's just been mention of "DPS/Tank/Healer". But, I won't be heart broken if they don't. Usually those abilities can be found in the mage class in some form or another. It would be a monumental leap forward for MMO combat if they put it in though. Allowing twitch-lite based combat in conjunction with a guy who can throw out mez/stun/slow regularly would certainly scratch various itches that I have.

Letting me roll between roles within my archetype is certainly a move in the right direction. I'm curious how they will handle skill distribution and what kinds of skill we'll have. How complex will the skills be? Will we have synergy effects (can I throw an oil effect on a guy, then a fire effect and amplify my fire damage or start a burning DoT?)? Will we have class locked armor (light/medium/heavy)?

I know it's early, but the appearance or lack of some things that have been common place in MMO's for close to a decade will really start to shape how excited I want to be about this game. Right now I'm cranked to ten. I love the art style and the "at large" mechanics they want to do. The deeper workings really excite me though. And leave me with a billion questions.

I'm one of those jaded MMO guys though. I've seen it all so many times I'm eager to see something new.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    If somebody told me to design an MMORPG that absolutely had to have a controller class, I think I'd make it something like a ranged tank. I think having a fourth expected role is too much for groups to bear: even if people could fill any role, it would be difficult to get a group of five to actually fill the four, especially if it was difficult to play. However, if you take the control achetype and say, "Okay, he can stun / control / debuff / kite a large group of enemies so that even if they end up attacking random group members, damage reduction on par with a tank is still achieved", you can fit him into the tank role. Make sure bosses aren't immune to that type of control so they can handle that as well, and you've got a viable tanking alternative.

I'd even consider replacing the classic idea of tanking with this entirely. It would probably be more hectic and entertaining.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Garthor wrote: »
    If somebody told me to design an MMORPG that absolutely had to have a controller class, I think I'd make it something like a ranged tank. I think having a fourth expected role is too much for groups to bear: even if people could fill any role, it would be difficult to get a group of five to actually fill the four, especially if it was difficult to play. However, if you take the control achetype and say, "Okay, he can stun / control / debuff / kite a large group of enemies so that even if they end up attacking random group members, damage reduction on par with a tank is still achieved", you can fit him into the tank role. Make sure bosses aren't immune to that type of control so they can handle that as well, and you've got a viable tanking alternative.

I'd even consider replacing the classic idea of tanking with this entirely. It would probably be more hectic and entertaining.

A very interesting idea. It would require a bit of balancing of course, because as I read your list I instantly went to "best solo-class ever!". But, you're right. It would give you an alternative tank, which is something every game should be shooting for. The idea of "warrior means tank" is an old trope that needs to be done away with. Hell, Everquest had more tank diversity than any other MMO recently (huh, funny how I keep pulling that out as a comparison...telling).

About your first point. I think the important thing would be to reinforce the idea of "options". Having a controller would just open up new ways for your group to function. It would be important to strike the balance between "We need this archetype" and "Having this archetype is nice". The former being the thing to avoid. The group structure should be flexible enough that any four guys can get together, sync up their skills to fill the various rolls they need, and roll out. Having "roles" is important, making them strict and inflexible is how you break the system.

Anon the Felon on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/what_is_wildstar_arenas.php
    Update on arenas

This better not be all we get on this Wildstar Wednesday

Edit: Last screenshot on that article shows opposite faction speak showing up as exotic moonrunes. Guess that's the nail in the coffin on that front.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The whole life bank is a nice touch I think. One thing that always drove me nuts with WOW arenas is how it just felt like a super cooldown spam at the start of every fight. Hopefully this lessens the power of those long cooldown abilities a bit

EDIT: Also not sure if we already knew this but the game will have enemy castbars according to screenshot 1

dougyfresh on
    steam_sig.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    MMOs need to evolve, is the point, in the Trinity idea, content and gameplay. Evolve doesn't mean throw everything out and try to start from scratch (GW2), Wildstar, to me, seems to realize that.

I wish there was a "couldn't agree more" next to the "agree" button.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    At least GW2 tried it out. Like how Warhammer and Age of Conan tried a few things out. They didn't work all that well but they paved the road for the better. It is all evolving, it's just really really slow.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with arena PVP, at least for the smaller numbers (2v2, 3v3), is balancing the classes to avoid the creation of a best combo that trumps the others. I know it isn't realistic to expect any combo to work equally but a better balance than the WoW arena classes would be nice.

• ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    Part of the balance issue for Wildstar in PVP is going to be that classes can pick any variety of skills to throw on their bar. What prevents someone from taking only skills that stun or CC other players?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, I've gone from "not really caring" to signing up for the beta (using the info in the OP) pretty much overnight after clicking on this thread at pretty much a whim... that, and the humor of the "Meet the..." videos :P

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I had some friends tell me about this game a couple months ago and the more news/videos that come out, the more I want to play this game.

I and two old buddies are already planning on making a guild at launch soonest. I'm going to be pushing to roll on whatever server gets declared as the primary PA hangout so I can play with you fine chaps as well.

steam_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Conventional class archetypes have become so common they're boring, and shouldn't be regarded as the only solution to a problem developers themselves have created and perpetuated. I actually would like to see the concept of the holy trinity thrown out the window, and have an MMO completely designed from the ground up with a fresh perspective on class roles and aggro. Switching roles on the fly is an improvement, but it's merely a half measure that forestalls any real innovation.

I truly believe that whatever MMO dethrones WoW, it won't use anything reminiscent of the Holy Trinity.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Taranis wrote: »
    Conventional class archetypes have become so common they're boring, and shouldn't be regarded as the only solution to a problem developers themselves have created and perpetuated. I actually would like to see the concept of the holy trinity thrown out the window, and have an MMO completely designed from the ground up with a fresh perspective on class roles and aggro. Switching roles on the fly is an improvement, but it's merely a half measure that forestalls any real innovation.

I truly believe that whatever MMO dethrones WoW, it won't use anything reminiscent of the Holy Trinity.

That is why I am excited to see the "action" combat evolve. So hopefully one day you wont need a tank or to manage aggro, you just need to know how to dodge or block.

I suppose my dream MMO combat might be something similar to Dark Souls, but I figure we're probably a long way from that still. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

I can agree that I'd love to see a change from the Tank/Healer/Dps paradigm, even if it's only to add a new archetype (like the "controller" Anon mentions) but the truth is, if you wany players to feel useful and that they have contributed to the success to the group, then the best way is by giving them a defined role within it, even if it is something that can change from encounter to encounter.

steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »

I can agree that I'd love to see a change from the Tank/Healer/Dps paradigm, even if it's only to add a new archetype (like the "controller" Anon mentions) but the truth is, if you wany players to feel useful and that they have contributed to the success to the group, then the best way is by giving them a defined role within it, even if it is something that can change from encounter to encounter.

Right, I agree, but I don't think Tank/Healer/DPS are the only sort of defined roles that a game can provide. I'm struggling to think of another system that might work, but that doesn't imply that one couldn't exist.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I think the genre would be bettered by creating new ways you can do those roles aside from the standard "Stand In Face Tank" (Note: being a block tank and an evade tank don't count unless it's Tera.) I was especially annoyed that in TOR they shied away from allowing ranged tanks to be a thing. I was a Trooper tank whose best idea was to hit someone with my fucking gun.

Right, I agree, but I don't think Tank/Healer/DPS are the only sort of defined roles that a game can provide. I'm struggling to think of another system that might work, but that doesn't imply that one couldn't exist.

You're struggling because the Tank/Healer/DPS dynamic is dictated by the fact that RPGs are about health bars. You need to make those health bars run out without your health bars running out. The two main ways of doing this is through damage to make their health bars go down (DPS), and making your health bars go back up (healing). After that, you simply need to make sure the fight occurs in the manner you want it to occur, which is then job of the Tank.

So, you won't get away from the Holy Trinity with a game that is similar to, say, World of Warcraft. You might be able to if you go completely crazy with the design (say, an Angry Birds MMO), but if you want an RPG it'll probably have the Trinity.

edited April 2013
    Aside from thoroughly engaging story quests (relative to other MMOs), what TOR definitely lacked was innovation.

I've got pretty high hopes for Wildstar though. Sure it doesn't seem like it will shake up the genre, but I'll take what I can get.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg

You're struggling because the Tank/Healer/DPS dynamic is dictated by the fact that RPGs are about health bars. You need to make those health bars run out without your health bars running out. The two main ways of doing this is through damage to make their health bars go down (DPS), and making your health bars go back up (healing). After that, you simply need to make sure the fight occurs in the manner you want it to occur, which is then job of the Tank.

So, you won't get away from the Holy Trinity with a game that is similar to, say, World of Warcraft. You might be able to if you go completely crazy with the design (say, an Angry Birds MMO), but if you want an RPG it'll probably have the Trinity.
    There's still no reason that an MMO must have the Holy Trinity just because it has health bars. That's like saying it must have health potions or some other specious example.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited April 2013

There's still no reason that an MMO must have the Holy Trinity just because it has health bars. That's like saying it must have health potions or some other specious example.

If there are health bars, there is going to be a class that reduces them. This class is called "DPS".
    Potentially, there is a class that increases them. This class is called "Healer".
    Usually, there is a class that controls enemies in some way. This class is often called "Tank". Generally, they take damage in order to make a Healer absolutely necessary.

You can remove some of these concepts from the game, but you can't have some other, different Holy Trinity, because the Holy Trinity is defined by the means of interacting with the actors of the game.

Garthor on
    edited April 2013
    You're missing the point. I'm not advocating a different Holy Trinity as you'll see if you read most post.

I'm not going to get into this argument with you.

Edit: this probably sounds pretty abrasive, but that wasn't my intent

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    Huh. Apparently they plan to support spectating in the arenas and (rumored) betting with in-game currency. That could go a long way to enhancing the Arena experience

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Huh. Apparently they plan to support spectating in the arenas and (rumored) betting with in-game currency. That could go a long way to enhancing the Arena experience

And organized crime. Throwing the match for a bribe? Oh yeah!

"But my rating!"

am0n wrote: »

If in-game currency eventually suffers from the same inflation problems it does for most games, I don't see how I'd throw a match unless I was paid real for it... and if someone was actually willing to pay me real money to throw a fight so he could win a bunch of fake money... I think it would be safer for everyone to take his cash before he does something truly idiotic with it.

steam_sig.png
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to have trinity encounter design that still demands good play out of all parties involved. Simplifying it down to omg tank just stands there and healer just spams 2 skills is just silly. Let me tell you, fighting hard mode Mimiron in ulduar in a 10 man raid was a million times more fun than anything GW2 will ever do. Why? Because even though 2 guys are the healers, one is the tank, and the rest are DPS, there were all very specific jobs those people had to do.

Having trinity means having healing classes that have cooldowns that need to be rotated to save people, tanks can get creative and use their cooldowns at the right time, and DPS classes that are hybrids can even save somebody's ass with a clutch heal and what not.

At the end of the day, getting rid of trinity sounds like a noble goal, but in the end just makes the combat have to be designed in a generic way. The dungeons in GW2 were largely boring as shit because of it too. The best parts of GW2 were playing my thief and blasting healing in an aoe for my party in water fields with my shortbow, but the problem is, because the game is designed on not needing that, it was just pointless unless the people I was playing with didn't know how to dodge shit.

You and I are probably not going to reach an accord on this, then - Mimiron was a fucking piece of shit. The first and final phases will forever remind me of how miserable it is to watch as the boss systematically wipes out the remainder of the party, helpless to mitigate the fact that someone's connection died, or a DPS didn't keep an eye on the land mines, or a healer stood too close to a siren bot. The only satisfaction there was to beating a boss like that was the thought that I'd never have to do it again.

Cept I did, because I could give a rats ass about how mind numbingly boring raids are so long as I'm among friends. Or I'm a masochist, I dunno - did Arah 4 after all.

I think there's something you all keep mistaking when you talk about the failures of a game like Guild Wars 2, that it was the fault of the underlying mechanics that the devs chose to follow. Thing is, we play games like that all the time outside of MMOs - hell, even inside of MMOs, if you look at how PSO was. The standard Gauntlet or Diablo style game doesn't require those roles to be a badass - they're possible, but not necessary. Would you call fights in those games generic curbstomps?

When you say that Guild Wars 2 evolved in the wrong direction, it seems a little indicative that you're not aware of the kind of game they were trying to make. What they did fail at is conveying that change at launch - in the rush they were in to give players a viable endgame, they wound up giving us some really boring encounters which didn't really give us a sense of the game's advantages, just the standard Everquest styled encounters that WoW learned its lesson about in Molten Core - and that was a trinity focused game. It was especially bad in Honor of the Waves, Sorrow's Embrace, and Arah - sorta still is with the latter two, depending on the path you take. But they're working on it. They've started showing us some legitimately fun dungeons with the implementation of Fractals, and are demonstrating that despite the poor launch offering, the system can be pretty damn fun regardless of your predisposition on roles. Hell of a lot more fun than dropping dead the second your meat shield dies, anyways. Not to mention they're releasing a fuckton of new content and sweeping dungeon fixes for free (Beezel doesn't need to lug rocks around in AC now). Hope Wildstar plans on taking the same approach.

Or at least that Carbine brings a holiday event to the table to match Super Adventure Box.
    I was also (as many were) excited by GW2's notion of disbanding the Trinity, thanks to how it freed up group combinations and eliminated wait times for groups... in theory... in practice it did none of those things. It was a noble experiment, but for many it failed.

Well, yeah, the LFG UI in Guild Wars 2 is dogshit, what'd you expect? If you wanna see how much of an improvement this is in the teambuilding department, use GW2LFG.com. You won't be waiting 15 minutes for a tank, at least - hell, depending on the dungeon you're aiming to do, you might not even wait 15 seconds.

And I'm not sure where you're getting the lack of group combinations, from. Fractals 50+? Arah path 4, maybe? I mean, aside from those I haven't seen a dungeon yet that I didn't feel like couldn't be done by just about any composition, provided they're played right.
    It neuters the fun of actually playing a role. I can be Anon the Felon, alien dude who dudes his way around with his dudes.

But, I'd much rather be Anon the Felon, the best tank this side of Alpha Centuri. Known for recovering from any failed pull. Master of aggro.

You never played an engineer with a toughness build, then. Well, I guess it could apply to about any class with a toughness build, just that I've primarily tried it on an engineer. Cept for knockdowns, fucker doesn't die.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Hey now. I fucking loved Mimiron. I even got my Firefighter before the big nerf to him! But that Mimiron fight boiled down to literally staying out of fires and DPSing things really hard/slow.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    Based on class choice I don't know if I want to be a Draken, Mechari or a Cassian D:. Cassian spellslinger would be kind of boss.

Based on class choice I don't know if I want to be a Draken, Mechari or a Cassian D:. Cassian spellslinger would be kind of boss.

am0n wrote: »

And retaliation on their war plots? Maybe even with some sort of bounty on their heads? I could get behind this. In-game politics affected by a modicum of freedom and player regulation are some of my favorite aspects of MMOs.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular

Other release info could change this but I'm currently leaning towards Mechari warrior.

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    dougyfresh wrote: »

Other release info could change this but I'm currently leaning towards Mechari warrior.

Yeah, currently leaning the same. Robot with big sword. Cause I want to be a tank in this game. And Robot cause, well, it's a robot.

Is there any rumor or info about the two unrevealed classes? So far we've got Warrior (Tank/MeleeDPS), Stalker (Tank/MeleeDPS), Spellslinger (Healer/RangeDPS), and Esper (Healer/RangeDPS). The current thinking in my small group is that the last two classes almost have to be another healer/tank split. As having a class that is just Tank/Healer would seem to gimp its leveling ability and a class that's all DPS might find it hard to find groups.

Wonder what the odds of this game actually doing a ranged tank/dps class. It would be kind of boring if all Tanks were also Melee DPS and all healers were ranged DPS. Or the odds that the two unrevealed classes are more control based than straight tank, healer, or dps? As the discussion has been going on in here, seeing something like that would be interesting.

I'd play a class like that. Heck, I already prefer playing Tanks because I get some measure of control over the encounters.

steam_sig.png
    The one question I haven't seen anyone ask about this arena thing yet is "What's being done to discourage 'pillar humping'?"

edited April 2013
    whoops

Beezel on
    dougyfresh wrote: »

Yeah, currently leaning the same. Robot with big sword. Cause I want to be a tank in this game. And Robot cause, well, it's a robot.

Is there any rumor or info about the two unrevealed classes? So far we've got Warrior (Tank/MeleeDPS), Stalker (Tank/MeleeDPS), Spellslinger (Healer/RangeDPS), and Esper (Healer/RangeDPS). The current thinking in my small group is that the last two classes almost have to be another healer/tank split. As having a class that is just Tank/Healer would seem to gimp its leveling ability and a class that's all DPS might find it hard to find groups.

Wonder what the odds of this game actually doing a ranged tank/dps class. It would be kind of boring if all Tanks were also Melee DPS and all healers were ranged DPS. Or the odds that the two unrevealed classes are more control based than straight tank, healer, or dps? As the discussion has been going on in here, seeing something like that would be interesting.

I'd play a class like that. Heck, I already prefer playing Tanks because I get some measure of control over the encounters.

Speculation on the last two classes are some sort of close range healer/support dps that uses a staff (supported with very brief video snippets) and a long range tankier rifle user (Assumptions based on what main stat pairings aren't being used on another forum)

edited April 2013
    No idea what I'm going to end up playing since my first alt almost always ends up as my primary character.

Aesthetics and class unpopularity will largely influence my decision as well. :rotate:

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    I'm looking forward to just making a character in general. There was a character creation vid I saw where not only were there preset heads but there looks to be a decent array of options on facial sliders. Even the Mechari had face sliders. An interesting thing to note is that some of the Mechari face bits are articulate and wiggle/pivot/swivel around. I thought that was actually a nice touch.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular

I'm going to be a furry. Going to have to bribe someone to convert my furry to the side of evil with ya'll.

Also, what is 'pillar humping?

This discussion has been closed.