As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The problem with "nearly identical" is that a lot of the times the Order variants were different in the better way. Bright Wizards holla.

Yeah. BWs used their special resource to blow people up.

Sorcerers used their special resource to blow themselves up.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok setting aside the balancing issue, because tired old and soon to be pointless argument, ho2 would b4ight Wizards being locked as humans, white lions being locked as elves etc matter to anyone enough to play a role in the game's slow death?

I'm assuming I'm just totally misunderstood the initial premise at this point.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I played WAR, but other than like 2 pairs of exceptions, didn't every class (eventually) have a nearly identical counterpart on the other side?

The classes were pairings of two aspects - Chaos had a ranged dps/pet class, Order had a melee dps/pet class, etc. They weren't equal, the aspects were switched around.

Common misconception but White Lion and Squig Herder weren't mirrors. It was White Lion/Marauder and Shadow Warrior/Squig Herder.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's what I mean. They're not pairs if they have fundamentally different mechanics, like one having a pet and the other not.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The problem with "nearly identical" is that a lot of the times the Order variants were different in the better way. Bright Wizards holla.

The Squiq Hunter, altho a hoot to play, was deeply lame.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    You know when you read the thread title quickly that last word comes out as something other than "Deck" and my initial response was "Woah, did he really write that ?"

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    :winky:

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    You know when you read the thread title quickly that last word comes out as something other than "Deck" and my initial response was "Woah, did he really write that ?"

Yeah, everyone knows it's "goose".

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

All hands on Richard, that guy in marketing, so we can strangle the exact release date out of him, much to the chagrin of the developers.

488W936.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Having played on both sides that particular quibble just felt like "zomg shaman OP" all over again. When you have side exclusive classes people will blow the other side's boons out of proportion like whoah.
    Except in WAR's case both of those classes were stupid broken in PVP, one was just a bit less broken than the other. Didn't make much difference to my White Lion dying in one second flat when 5 pools of doom were stacked on top of me while lag made them invisible.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Every time I read the thread title, I double take.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    One day a pvp game will get dots right. Unfortunately until then it's either 'dots... why bother' or 'if these are dots why do they insta gib errything'

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Having played on both sides that particular quibble just felt like "zomg shaman OP" all over again. When you have side exclusive classes people will blow the other side's boons out of proportion like whoah.
    Except in WAR's case both of those classes were stupid broken in PVP, one was just a bit less broken than the other. Didn't make much difference to my White Lion dying in one second flat when 5 pools of doom were stacked on top of me while lag made them invisible.

This. Having multiple max level classes on both sides really made the balancing discussions, well, lets go with entertaining :P

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    what was awesome at the beginning of war was taking your bright wizard, use the AoE before the start of battle, and have 100 combustion ready to go before the first orc pops his head above the ridge line. then have a pocket healer that only heals you.... beautiful glowing fire and charred corpses everywhere.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Every time I read the thread title, I double take.

You guys sure have a lot of dick on the mind.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You don't?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    You don't?

Well his Avatar does seem to be consuming something with a similar profile...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    You don't?

Dicks and Wieners are two different things. :P

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    You don't?

Dicks and Wieners are two different things. :P

dog6.png

?

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/october_game_systems_update.php

Big things to take away from this

*Quest progress redesign
    *open tagging is in
    *Those are engineer skills in the deck builder over there

Beezel on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Beezel wrote: »

Big things to take away from this

*Quest progress redesign
    *open tagging is in

Yep. Those are all three cool things.

I like the Engineer ability names there too.

The quest progress redesign had been talked about by Carbine before, but it's good to see them sticking with it and even managing to put forth a slightly different take on 'kill x' quests.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I haven't seen this linked here before, but it's got some random tidbits that might be interesting:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33110&storypage=1

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    all i want from these continued previews and talks about quests and combat is "we made it so it doesn't take 30 seconds to kill level 1 mobs"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Man, Carbine, you sure do enjoy your stealth "leaks". :D

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    all i want from these continued previews and talks about quests and combat is "we made it so it doesn't take 30 seconds to kill level 1 mobs"

Is that actually a thing in this game?

Because after coming back to TOR I have to say I'm getting tired of slow combat and long cooldowns (and a too-long global cd).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'll have to agree on that. A fight that is the same level as myself is usually beneath my notice if it is a 1v1. Depending on the mmo, I'd usually be able to chain five to fifteen of those fights before I needed a breather.

I only really paid attention when I fought 3+ vs 1 or the monster was much higher level than me.

except the demon/dark souls games and monster hunter... You always respected the mobs you fought there

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Because after coming back to TOR I have to say I'm getting tired of slow combat and long cooldowns (and a too-long global cd).

That is not actually a thing.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Every leaked and quite a few official gameplay videos have shown the obscenely long kill times. So yes, it unfortunately is a thing.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I was in the beta and it was a pretty big thing.

There's not really any need to silence that opinion either. It's beta, it's the time to say "hey this is kinda boring" and a lot of people are. I'm not saying the game is guaranteed to be like that at release.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    You do know you aren't allowed to say you're in beta right? And no level 1 kills did not take a long time.

• Options
    You do know you aren't allowed to say you're in beta right? And no level 1 kills did not take a long time.

I don't care.

Yes they did, unless there is a gross disparity between classes that leads to massively increased kill times between classes.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    There was a weird thing going on with the combat where fighting mobs one at a time was actually to your detriment. Skills were balanced around handling a variable number of enemies. There wasn't a damage split mechanic but past a certain mob amount the skill would not do any damage/healing. So if a set of skills fell within a range of say, 3-5 mobs damaged, then you got the most out of them by fighting within that range. The whole system was set up for you to get in-combat boosts off of multipliers based on kill chains and multiple kills, complete with quake style announcer.

I had heard that inbetween CBT1 and CBT2 mob TTK was raised as well due to people saying it was too easy. So there's that to consider also

Beezel on
  • Options

I don't care.

Yes they did, unless there is a gross disparity between classes that leads to massively increased kill times between classes.

Sure bro. No need to be a goose.

• Options
    I don't understand how I'm being a goose, particularly compared to a dismissive "sure bro".

I stated an experience I had with the game - an experience I openly stated may not and likely will not be a part of the finished product - and made my opinions clear. When you offered a dissenting opinion, presumably based on your own opinions, I stood by what I said and offered the possibility that class balance was presently in a state which lead to differing experiences. People chimed in to mention that there were differing experiences between phases of the beta test which further would help explain how two people could have different opinions.

I'm not alone in my feelings though. People in this thread have said "yeah looks slow". People in other forums have stated that they felt mob HP was very high. You're free to say "I did not experience that" but let's not invent some story where I'm lying or something just to make a scene. I experienced high mob HP without threat to my own health, the time to kill was long, and I was bored. You didn't get that. That's cool! That's fine. Don't tell me that I didn't experience what I did though.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Beta is Beta.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I don't understand how I'm being a goose, particularly compared to a dismissive "sure bro".

I stated an experience I had with the game - an experience I openly stated may not and likely will not be a part of the finished product - and made my opinions clear. When you offered a dissenting opinion, presumably based on your own opinions, I stood by what I said and offered the possibility that class balance was presently in a state which lead to differing experiences. People chimed in to mention that there were differing experiences between phases of the beta test which further would help explain how two people could have different opinions.

I'm not alone in my feelings though. People in this thread have said "yeah looks slow". People in other forums have stated that they felt mob HP was very high. You're free to say "I did not experience that" but let's not invent some story where I'm lying or something just to make a scene. I experienced high mob HP without threat to my own health, the time to kill was long, and I was bored. You didn't get that. That's cool! That's fine. Don't tell me that I didn't experience what I did though.

:^:

People (especially those who've actually played the game) should feel like this is a free and safe space to discuss their opinions on the game, whether or not it reflects poorly on said game.

And yes, beta is beta...but how many times have we seen something that "is sure to get fixed by release" not get fixed, right?

• Options
    edited October 2013

I was talking about the you not caring about beta rules.

They have these rules for a reason.

It's pretty goosey to nonchalantly dismiss the rules that you agreed to.

That's what I meant.

Sorry for the confusion.

I also was never talking about the battles feeling too long or anything like that. I was referring to whether or not lvl 1 mobs took 30 seconds to kill. Whether or not that is true is not an opinion but a fact. I'm saying I'm pretty certain that is not a fact.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We won't be able to really talk about it anyway until the NDA is lifted and more people are in the beta. My guess is that combat feels longer even at lower levels because it's designed like the rest of the game's leveling and combat structures to casually train players from 1 to cap to be potentially better at raiding, learn raid mechanics and not stand in the stupid, helpfully pointed out by the circles and outlines on the ground. That process results in combat being longer then in other MMOs.

Whether or not that ends up being good or bad or changed or not will come as we go into the next phase of beta and can yell at Carbine to do something about it if we think it sucks, and cancel pre-orders or whatnot if they choose not to fix it. I haven't decided if it's good or bad yet until I've actually tried it as it might end up being not a big deal, or the AoE focus might make it better, or the combat being enjoyable might even make each fight fun. In terms of how long each fight takes, you have to ask yourself, is the combat fun? Is there something I'd rather be doing or is this a good use of my time? If it's not, then should I be playing or looking forward to this game or yelling at Carbine to change it, etc.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

:^:

People (especially those who've actually played the game) should feel like this is a free and safe space to discuss their opinions on the game, whether or not it reflects poorly on said game.

And yes, beta is beta...but how many times have we seen something that "is sure to get fixed by release" not get fixed, right?

In of itself, by the time a software team is calling something "beta", odds are they're pretty sure they have the base design nailed down, and are doing doing minor number tweaks. Odds are they intend mobs to take longer to kill, since it's pretty fucking hard to fuck up the math of "An average attack does at level X does Y damage, a level X mob should have an average HP of Z, Z/Y*(GCD)=TTK" and then building around that. Wildstar's devs seem a bit attached to "how MMOs are supposed be!" design, which means throwbacks to old-school design, which means return to tedious bullshit, such as hard to kill mobs and long tedious level grinding.

You'd think MMO devs at this point would learn that long drawn out fights with basic mobs aren't really fun to fight, and move away from that. In general, basic mobs are boring unless you fighting them in hordes and/or blowing throw them.

Then again, this was the team that threw out "30s seconds to kill a player in PvP" and were surprised when people jumped on them for throwing it out there(it is/was way too short), so I'm not sure they're fully learning what other MMOs and games have taught us.

• Options
    Wildstar's devs seem a bit attached to "how MMOs are supposed be!" design, which means throwbacks to old-school design, which means return to tedious bullshit, such as hard to kill mobs and long tedious level grinding.
    Can't argue with that logic.

This discussion has been closed.