As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Wait, your saying its not true for some people?!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Filled out a survey! I back on the hype train!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Team Wildstar @Team_Wildstar
    The first round of Winter Beta Survey questions went out last night. If you haven't received it yet, there will be more sent out soon!

They see me trollin'...

They also just posted this to their twitter:

surveymonkey.com/s/WSWinterBeta

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not sure if my answer to this question is depressing or not. Also, I forgot to check CoX and FFXIV.
    Clipboard01.png

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Take out AoC and add CoX, FFXIV, Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies and that'd be mine.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Not sure if my answer to this question is depressing or not. Also, I forgot to check CoX and FFXIV.
    Clipboard01.png

If it makes you feel any better, mine was double that...

488W936.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    People who haven't played UO.

I'm...

I'm old.

Or I started MMO'ing when I was really young. Which is probably more true than me being old.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    My list is Aion, Champions Online, Darkfall, EVE, EverQuest, FF14, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Rift, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars TOR, Tera, Warhammer, and WoW.

So pretty similar.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    2008 was my Great MMO Testing Year, after the WoW guild temporarily imploded.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Age of Conan, Champions online, City of Heroes/Villains, EVE, Everquest, FFXI, FFXIV, Free Realms, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Planetside, Planetside 2, Rift, Secret World, Star Trek Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars the Old Republic, Tera, Warhammer, World of Warcraft.

And many others they neglected to mention :D

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Yeah I've played plenty of less well known MMOs as well on a whim. Most of them were garbage or too brutal a sandbox to be worth the time investment.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Age of Conan, Champions online, City of Heroes/Villains, EVE, Everquest, FFXI, FFXIV, Free Realms, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Planetside, Planetside 2, Rift, Secret World, Star Trek Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars the Old Republic, Tera, Warhammer, World of Warcraft.

They mentioned Asheron's Call 2, but not the original which made me sad.

Then it was mentioned in the beta experience section. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They mentioned Asheron's Call 2, but not the original which made me sad.

Then it was mentioned in the beta experience section. :P

You could make the same argument for Darkfall versus Darkfall Unholy Wars.

488W936.png
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Just when I thought maybe I could forget about this for a little bit of time and concentrate on my studies....blammo!

Invites already sent?!?!!! damn man, time to go back to yelling at my inbox every six hours till it miraculously manifests one of these damn things. So damn itchy to try this baby out!

I was a little surprised Neverwinter wasn't on their list. Maybe I just missed it but felt D&D Online being there instead was just odd. Meh. Can. Not. Wait!!!

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Clipboard01.png

What the douche, was is Asheron's Call 2 on there and not Asheron's Call 1? Do they think they just skipped a number?

*oldmangrumble*

Edit: Was too angry to bother to see that others already mentioned it, but still.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Papagander wrote: »
    Just when I thought maybe I could forget about this for a little bit of time and concentrate on my studies....blammo!

Invites already sent?!?!!!

Nope. Just a survey. No invites.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Ah, you see. Overwhelmed with hype already. Saw "first round of Winter Beta ... sent out" and my mind rewrote the rest to say what I wanted it to say. Whew. Be still my beating heart. I'm either at or already surpassed my pre-game enthusiasm for SWTOR, and that's the most I've been excited for a game in years!

edit: typed invites still after Beta. My mind cannot release the concept. this is just silly. I need some pills.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've got a friend who is super hyped for Wildstar, and he tells me about it all the time.

I want to be excited for it, because I want a new MMO with such a fresh experience that it really brings the community together and provides an experience that can be enjoyed by casuals and hardcores alike.

Sadly, everything I've seen really hasn't given me that level of excitement.

My list of reasons why I'm having a hard time getting excited. Spoilered so you don't have to read my cynical viewpoint if you don't want to.
    I feel that there are too few classes. Yes, they are going to be announcing 2 more. But 6 classes is still very few. WoW launched with 9. FF14 launched with 9. Everquest 1 launched with 14.

On the topic of classes, I feel like a Sci-Fi game should not be sticking so closely to the Fantasy genre of Warriors, Mages, Rogues, and Healers. They have an opportunity here to come up with something new and creative, and yet they have chosen to stick firmly in the camp of things that already exist.

The graphics are far too WoW-like. WoW has a charming aesthetic, and part of it's long term success is because of the art style they chose. But when I see such flagrant copy-catting of an idea, it turns me off.

Even though the game mechanics have skillshots and skill telegraphs, the combat still manages to look exactly like every other MMO ever. It just doesn't seem like there's really anything new here. I watched a stream on Twitch of a guy in a field fighting scorpions and disarming land mines. The combat looked dull and the quests looked exactly like things I have already done hundreds of times in WoW. It's like they have all these new game mechanics that could make for some really interesting and fun encounters, and then they chose to fit those new mechanics to old, tried and true MMO equations.

• Options
    @Lucascraft I think your points are well-founded. It's something that Wildstar has to step up to the plate and challenge. In fact, I think a lot of the delay in the beta came from them getting a lot of feedback that the combat and quest system DID feel too much like your typical MMO, forcing them to take a good hard look in the mirror, then going back for another pass on some of the systems.

But the onus is on Carbine to show that they have something worth paying a monthly fee for, and not just something that people level to max in then quickly get bored once that "I feel like I've done this before" specter starts haunting them.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The people who hit max level in a week will always be unhappy. That's step one: understanding that those people are going to complain almost immediately after launch with reprieve following each new major end game content patch, and then back to bitching.

• Options
    The people who hit max level in a week will always be unhappy. That's step one: understanding that those people are going to complain almost immediately after launch with reprieve following each new major end game content patch, and then back to bitching.

Or just quit and go on to the next game. And it's not just the hardcore who hit max level in a few days. At least as far as my experiences have been over the past two years, there's been very, very few games out there that have reliably managed to retain customers hitting max level in the first few months of the game. And the typical complaint IS boredom. Not necessarily that there isn't anything to do, but the fact that it all feels like it's been done before.

I think that's the major hang up.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It just takes so damned long to create new content.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Also the rent is too damn high!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Obviously companies want to retain as many players at end game as possible (and I agree with them).

But there's a limit to how many you can retain. There's a really significant percentage who are going to make *a lot* of noise and also cannot be satisfied by the quantity of decent content that any one mmo can put out. They will always be unhappy. Trying to make those people happy results in inadequacies elsewhere.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    And I'm certainly not advocating for anything like what BW did with TOR! Yes, you cannot make enough end game to satisfy some people but holy shit you need to make a functional, meaty end game available at launch because there are people who are going to be at your end game in a matter of days and they will notice if you didn't finish the damn game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Things that are relatively easy to implement and give things to do at max level:

Outfits (Lots of people will do inordinate amounts of work to look better) - this works best if appearance is divorced from stats, since... yeah. (Actually, appearance being tied to stats is a pain point for me, because I do like to mess around with appearances)
    Some kind of gauntlet (e.g. Fractals of the Mists - increasing difficulty levels and rewards) - challenge the PvE folks, give them a way to compete on stuff.
    PvP (I said relatively, but there are a lot of people who can be satisfied by having this - both persistent things and matches. This is more effort though, because balance. People care less about OP when the only things hurt are mobs!)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Appearance gear progression is a blight. The whole concept needs to be purged with fire.

• Options
    Appearance gear progression is a blight. The whole concept needs to be purged with fire.

There's a level of time investment that's healthy, and a level that is stupid. If I have to run a dungeon 2-3 times for an outfit, that's okay. 2-3 times for a piece? Fuck you game.

• Options
    Appearance gear progression is whatever and old and busted. Wildstar is going to have Housing item progression, which is the new hotness.

While you guys fight over vibroswords or whatever, I'm totally going to be that dude in the raid eyeballing the bosses' couch/rug/lamp because that shit will totally tie my room together. It seems silly but Carbine saw fit to combine housing with gameplay benefits. For example the highest rested bonuses in the game can be had at your housing space, but only based on the quality of the knick-knacks in your house due to a comfort bonus system. Hell I even think there are style points just to keep you from stacking all the best stuff in a corner of your house like an elderly hoarder. There's even limited combat bonuses you can get just by being logged off for x-hours while surrounded by spoils. They really want this housing thing to be big.

• Options
    I want lots of outfits :(

But housing works fine for me too - as long as I still get lots of outfits and they aren't tied to stats.

• Options
    nah outfit stuff is purely cosmetic. Separate costuming slots was mentioned at one point.

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    nah outfit stuff is purely cosmetic. Separate costuming slots was mentioned at one point.

That makes me so happy. I really hate clownsuits and "you must raid in order to not look like an idiot".

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »

That makes me so happy. I really hate clownsuits and "you must raid in order to not look like an idiot".

Or worse, "you must look like an idiot to be relevant at anything"

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Yo, giant Eldan death robot. I got a question for you.

Yes, tiny Mechari female?

Do you have a mantlepiece that matches this colour scheme?

No. Sadly the Eldan did not program proper interior decorating subroutines into my core, nor did they provide me with fly furniture. I hear Killgore the Defenistrator over in the Squirg area has some nice rugs though. Maybe ask him.

Thanks. See you at the raid on Friday!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I recall hearing it being bugged by beta testers that applying costume pieces replaced your actual gear. Costume pieces have no stats and the circuit board system didn't apply to them so no stats could be added. Assuming that you did your path stuff casually as you leveled, by level 30 you should have nearly a complete set of path costuming. I would hope the bug is fixed though

Beezel on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    hmm... decisions decisions. I know we are gonna play imperial/empire/merika faction. but I'm not sure what to chose for a race or class, let alone the path. I've played humans and they are just boring to be in MMOs, but the problem I see here is that everyone is gonna be either a wildkin wolverine wannabe or ''da terminator''.

maybe I'll be one of the rat guys.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    hmm... decisions decisions. I know we are gonna play imperial/empire/merika faction. but I'm not sure what to chose for a race or class, let alone the path. I've played humans and they are just boring to be in MMOs, but the problem I see here is that everyone is gonna be either a wildkin wolverine wannabe or ''da terminator''.

maybe I'll be one of the rat guys.

Chua Engineer Scientist represent

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind the Exiles and I'm not too good for porkrinds and buttrock. But they gave me the option to play as Hamtaro the war criminal. That was their first mistake.

I just think it's funny that they put humans on both factions to give you double the opportunity to be boring.

EDIT: Aha, friend of mine made an amusing observation. The difference between Exile humans and Dominion humans is like comparing Disney faces to Pixar faces respectively.

Beezel on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Exile humans are humans. Dominion humans are human-elf hybrids.

Also, personally, I don't find humans somehow innately "boring". I know plenty of interesting humans.

This discussion has been closed.