As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Boooooooooooring.

;)

Glal on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    ... what's wrong with your smiley's face?

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Did we get new smileys?

They are hideous

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Beezel wrote: »
    Hell I even think there are style points just to keep you from stacking all the best stuff in a corner of your house like an elderly hoarder. There's even limited combat bonuses you can get just by being logged off for x-hours while surrounded by spoils. They really want this housing thing to be big.

I can already see it: "Bonerdude420's Wildstar Feng Shui Guide"

• Options
    There's probably just a size - proximity thing going on there but if it's as involved as all that I would not even be mad if playing space house became its own game of sorts

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    PVP is the best kind of end-game renewable resource. People don't mind playing the same maps over and over, as long as they are fun and as long as PVP is balanced.

Unfortunately for game devs, not everyone enjoys PVP.

I am always willing to give it a try, but I generally get fed up with in in MMOs, because achieving balance in a stat-based, gear based system is nearly impossible. There's just too many variables.

Someone mentioned TOR earlier as a great example of how to not launch an MMO. The PVP in that game was grossly broken at launch. Once the power-gamers reached 50 and got their top gear, nobody else could even touch them. I saw situations where two fully geared 50s could hold off an entire enemy team just the two of them.

That's just one example, but even WoW, the most successful MMO ever has trouble with class balance in PVP.

• Options
    I don't think organized PVP balance really works on MMOs unless you're willing to go the route of normalizing every stat for every participant coupled with level scaling everyone to the same level field. World pvp is never and should never really be fair. And also should never be taken into consideration for PVP balance.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    World PVP is stupid. It is nothing but an opportunity for griefing and assholish behavior. One guy ganks another guy. The guy who got ganked logs his main and returns to grief the player. It escalates to a series of revenge kills and nobody has any fun and everyone's time is wasted.

Best to keep PVP contained within battlegrounds and isolated zones.

• Options
    The only time I can ever see world pvp mattering is if there is some kind of resource at stake. I admit to going full on "RED IS DEAD!" in wow if I caught someone of the opposite faction mining mithril while I was

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Some random points from Mr. Gaffney:(Courtesy the Wildstar subreddit)

-The only heavily instanced zones will be the start zones. Mostly placing a hard cap of how many players can be in any one instance of the zone (between 30-50) to cut down on user lag until they get into the main game space

-If you got the client directly somehow:
    This isn't gospel, but as I recall the beta build as updated currently is from a milestone ago. We'll update it as we lock the Winter Beta build (currently in QA right now, though that doesn't strictly imply a timeline for when we deploy it).

By the time the beta is unlocked the client will generally be up to date some time in advance (or at least be a smaller patch than it would be otherwise) is our usual MO. We're adding a lot of audio right now which implies a bigger patch than usual however, just as a random FYI.

I'm not near the Ops guys who have the exact plans ATM (and plans change) so I may be wrong, even though the above was already noncommital and semi-contradictory ;)

Oh, to answer your question directly, I wouldn't bother downloading yet. Lots of patching to come. But YMMV, it may be mildly more efficient.

-There is a /follow command. But it's not very useful considering the nature of Wildstar's movement mechanics even for something as simple as world traversal (double jumps factor in heavily)

-We actually have spawn timers set so that if boars are dying in hordes the respawn timers drop down to a few seconds. Normally you won't see stuff spawning on top of you (respawn happens much slowers) but on launch day or if 100 peeps are boarwhacking respawn should be very fast to instant.

-Character Re-customization IMO unlikely to have in for launch. Pretty likely to follow on at some point thereafter. (Why? Doesn't really block much fun, so we'll probably prioritize folks elsewhere, unless someone ends up with some spare time. However, post-launch, as you get more attached to your character but might want to recustomize, the player need goes up vs. near-launch).

Name, Race, Faction change Similar to character customization for race and faction - the player need is relatively low near launch but grows over time, which is why these tend to get added over time. Note that name changes carry some other accountability issues (if you report someone as harassing you with one name, and then they change it, it's an issue - also checking names for offensiveness/etc is a GM cost, and that presumably rises somewhat if name changes are willy-nilly. Which is among the reason that charging for name changes actually makes some sense).

Server Transfers I'd really like to have something in for this at launch - there's a more infrastructure needed to automate it and more edge cases than one might think though, so we'll see. For instance, if you have server-first style achievements, do they carry over? How about very legendary weapons? How long should you let a newly opened server have it's own economy vs. having the economy transfer over from other servers? These are obviously all solvable answers (most games do server transfers eventually) but it's tricky to solve them before you fully understand the economy of one's own game as a developer. However, as you mention, it's actually pretty valuable to players at launch because of the we-didn't-choose-the-same-server issue, which is IMO fairly common.

CREDD for other purchases IMO we'll probably keep CREDD for trading only to start - it's a complex thing to explain ("Well, you buy a month of playtime for another user and they buy it from you for in-game gold") already and we won't want to confuse peeps initially. Also, for simplicity we'll keep it tied to a month of playtime and should we really have a server transfer always be equal to that? Maybe it should be cheaper (or more expensive). Down the road when it's fully understood by all we'll probably add utility to it though.

Web API We're fans of this too and are likely to do it at some point. I won't guarantee it for launch though - if I had the choice of launching without it or holding up launch for it, I'd rather launch. The resources that do this are also focusing on little things like billing (which some on our side of the fence would consider a key feature, although maybe one players would be happy if we launched without)

In general the features I'd definitely hold launch up for are content and combat related first - if there isn't enough quality, fun, levelling content or if there aren't solid elder games in place - other features are prioritized to greater or lesser extents around whether those core functions are in place. Winter Beta will have a great extent to say about that - we're pretty stoked though.

Beezel on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Open world PVP:

34d9nrX.png

• Options
    Team Wildstar @Team_Wildstar
    Our first class livestream happens this Saturday! Join us on Twitch at 12PM PST to see the first of many class drops: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_class_livestream_this_saturday.php

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I like world PvP's variable environments and circumstances compared to set arenas and battlegrounds.

But losing that is a small price to pay for better PvP balance in organized PvP and not getting ganked forever in PvE.

488W936.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I like open world pvp, and generally don't just go kill the other faction unless they are taking something I needed, or are harassing someone else. I also loved the old standoffs in WoW where you would get 40+ people on each faction staring each other down and generally fighting for control of an area.

That said there will always be geese with that kind of platform.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    World PvP: fun for stealth classes.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    As much as I used to enjoy world pvp, in WoW, specifically, I now concur with @Echo's sentiments.

Nowadays there's just such a huge variance in levels and the addition of flying mounts and shit it's basically just a way for sad people to feel like they control some aspect of their lives. As a rule I only ever attack someone when the playing field is level - similar levels, not engaged in another fight, neither side outnumbering - but not everyone is me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I like open world pvp, and generally don't just go kill the other faction unless they are taking something I needed, or are harassing someone else. I also loved the old standoffs in WoW where you would get 40+ people on each faction staring each other down and generally fighting for control of an area.

That said there will always be geese with that kind of platform.

Let us not forget the light-eating, soul-crushing lag from Tarren Mill and The Crossroads that would shut down questing two zones away. Pretty much the only World PVP which I enjoy are the world events like the Zombie Invasion or the Halloween stuff.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    World PVP is stupid. It is nothing but an opportunity for griefing and assholish behavior. One guy ganks another guy. The guy who got ganked logs his main and returns to grief the player. It escalates to a series of revenge kills and nobody has any fun and everyone's time is wasted.

Best to keep PVP contained within battlegrounds and isolated zones.
    reVerse wrote: »
    World PvP: fun for stealth classes.

back in vanilla i once chased an orc rogue from one end of Teldrassil to the other after he had been griefing lowbies in my guild at the time. he jumped to his death when i had him cornered. even though it was a waste of time, i still enjoyed myself.

god speed, noble rogue.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    One day an MMO will come out and the devs will say "The only reward for this structured PVP is fun and cosmetic armor. Your stats will remain the same regardless of gear."

And I will cry a tear of joy and fight mans.

TOR had some of the most fun PvP mechanically that I've ever had in an MMO. Huttball especially. The different uses of abilities and CCs to control the game gave it such a fun dynamic. However, the fact that they were too stupid to not have a stat-based gear grind for PvP ruined it. If you weren't in battlemaster and the other guy was, it simply didn't matter if you could play your class perfectly. He was going to stomp you.

GW2 thankfully did it right with their structured PvP, but it just wasn't particularly fun for me. The maps just didn't appeal to me. But at least they got not making it stat based right.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    One day an MMO will come out and the devs will say "The only reward for this structured PVP is fun and cosmetic armor. Your stats will remain the same regardless of gear."

GW2 thankfully did it right with their structured PvP, but it just wasn't particularly fun for me. The maps just didn't appeal to me. But at least they got not making it stat based right.

Wait. GW2 did exactly what you wanted. And you didn't like it.

So it makes me think that A does not equal B here.

EDIT: And which is why I'm a full on advocate of MMOs just saying, "Fuck PvP" in general. Because even when you do EXACTLY what people ask for, they still end up not liking it. So why bother. Just pour all your efforts into the PvE game.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    My only hope is that Carbine begs whoever it is they have to beg to not let Digital River touch their billing or purchases with a 10-foot pole. That outfit is seriously fucking clownshoes.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    ironzerg wrote: »

EDIT: And which is why I'm a full on advocate of MMOs just saying, "Fuck PvP" in general. Because even when you do EXACTLY what people ask for, they still end up not liking it. So why bother. Just pour all your efforts into the PvE game.

Just a note: "Some" people won't like it no matter what you do. They just tend to be incredibly loud and obnoxious on forums and other communities about how horrible X or Y is and how it will ruin the game.

The idea for developers would be to design something that most people tend to enjoy, and then ignore the "squeaky wheel" so to speak and try to focus on feedback from the majority. (This is arguably the hardest part)

But I agree on PvE first and foremost, but that's because I only have a passing interest in PvP personally.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The problem with PvP is that 99.99% of people only have fun when they're winning. Which is, on average, only half the time. Someone has to win, someone has to lose. No one enjoys losing.

Hence why PvE is so popular, because the computer doesn't mind losing most of the time. I've also never been told to, "go suck a dick you f****t bitch" by a raid boss, so there's that element as well.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I've also never been told to, "go suck a dick you f****t bitch" by a raid boss, so there's that element as well.

I'm sure that's a gap which WILDSTAR will be happy to fill.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The fact that they consider interior decorating to be a significant side pursuit makes me feel better about the direction of the game. They obviously get that this cosmetic stuff is not just a perk for "the best players" it is a whole potential side game for some people. I like playing pretty princess dress up. A lot. A game that excels at dress up can get my money just on that alone. Walling off all the unique and interesting costumes behind raid content is a tragedy that will hopefully be eliminated in my lifetime.

Then we can move on to less important issues like world hunger.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The fact that they consider interior decorating to be a significant side pursuit makes me feel better about the direction of the game. They obviously get that this cosmetic stuff is not just a perk for "the best players" it is a whole potential side game for some people. I like playing pretty princess dress up. A lot. A game that excels at dress up can get my money just on that alone. Walling off all the unique and interesting costumes behind raid content is a tragedy that will hopefully be eliminated in my lifetime.

Then we can move on to less important issues like world hunger.

Pretty Princess Dress-Up and Digital Interior Designer are literally my favorite MMO mini-games.

Too many games sacrifice that stuff for other, more dumb, stuff. Like... World PvP, or highly gated content.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The problem with PvP is that 99.99% of people only have fun when they're winning. Which is, on average, only half the time. Someone has to win, someone has to lose. No one enjoys losing.

Hence why PvE is so popular, because the computer doesn't mind losing most of the time. I've also never been told to, "go suck a dick you f****t bitch" by a raid boss, so there's that element as well.

The times I've really enjoyed pvp is when there are quasi-pve objectives alongside the pvp. Champions Online had this one map that was, don't get me wrong, very much a pvp map. You were fighting players start to finish and you would most certainly get ganged up on and ganked and camped. But ultimately the fight was over a series of turrets and then final rooms with PvE bosses that had to be defeated. If everyone on your team just focused on farming players and didn't protect their bosses and turrets and go after the other teams PvE stuff you'd lose.

It was a trillion billion times more fun then any of the arena maps.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

The times I've really enjoyed pvp is when there are quasi-pve objectives alongside the pvp. Champions Online had this one map that was, don't get me wrong, very much a pvp map. You were fighting players start to finish and you would most certainly get ganged up on and ganked and camped. But ultimately the fight was over a series of turrets and then final rooms with PvE bosses that had to be defeated. If everyone on your team just focused on farming players and didn't protect their bosses and turrets and go after the other teams PvE stuff you'd lose.

It was a trillion billion times more fun then any of the arena maps.

Perhaps the best option would be to evolve the concept of PvP away from strictly open world or structured battlegrounds and just have a fully even, balanced, skill based PvP setup with a mix of both elements set in their own large area segregated away from the main PvE open world. In a manner reminiscent of DAoC's Borderlands perhaps.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Perhaps the best option would be to evolve the concept of PvP away from strictly open world or structured battlegrounds and just have a fully even, balanced, skill based PvP setup with a mix of both elements set in their own large area segregated away from the main PvE open world. In a manner reminiscent of DAoC's Borderlands perhaps.

You know that phrase "Easier said then done"? This is it.

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to OPEN PVP servers for Wildstar. The most fun I ever had in WoW was all the random shit that went down in the world. Fighting over Rich thorium nodes and other resources and raid bosses. All the fun stuff that happened at meeting stones. I still remember setting up a blockade to Karazan on deadwind pass with 4-5 friends. So much fun. And besides whats the point of having 2 warring factions if you cannot kill each other in the world they've made for you? Don't like world PVP? play on a PVE server. done. You don't have to deal with it. I'll rarely play MMOs without some type of world pvp because it;s just so boring. Why make such a cool world, setup opposing factions then limit the fighting to battlegrounds and instanced pvp. shrug. If Wildstar doesn't have open world pvp i doubt i'll play it for long.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Well, GW2 stuctured PvP is kinda lacking in game types (meaning there is only one) and if you don't like the maps and/or gameplay, getting the stat part right goes only so far...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    https://vine.co/v/hjQbBHbdHhd

Well that answers that question
    (It's gonna be warrior)

Beezel on
  • Options
    If they don't give the Mechari the [REDACTED] class, then I might have to go with a warrior for my first character. We'll see.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    when they were leaked i think the races of the two remaining classes were shockingly dumb and needlessly restrictive, but maybe that was just a case of things not being enabled

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm still sad about the monthly fee. I don't really begrudge them doing it, it's their choice, but it's a cost I can't justify at all. And I'm most sad because while GW2 hits my sweet spot in terms of class builds and PVP, I just really want my own sweet pad to trick out with pilfered Tiffany lamps and the severed and mounted heads of my enemies. Also, neat hats. That's the biggest thing lacking in GW2 for me -- they hyped up this idea of the Home Instance being a place that was Your Home That You Could Trick Out, but all we have for it thus far are a bunch of resource gathering nodes and that's literally it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    If you can stomach the done-and-buried gameplay and the visuals (admittedly, big if) EQ2 is like the king of kitting out your home. Quests will regularly toss mementos you can place in your home at you and you can convert any legendary or above weapon to a house item. And if you dig crafting Carpenters can build hundreds of different things to put in there.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    If you can stomach the done-and-buried gameplay and the visuals (admittedly, big if) EQ2 is like the king of kitting out your home. Quests will regularly toss mementos you can place in your home at you and you can convert any legendary or above weapon to a house item. And if you dig crafting Carpenters can build hundreds of different things to put in there.

That's a big fat "nope" re the ancient gameplay and graphics, dude.

I guess I could finally fully update Minecraft or whatever

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

I know it sounds related, but correlation is not causation. GW2 did ONE part of what I think is the right idea, which is to have 0 statistical motivation to do structured PvP. Only cosmetic gear. What they didn't do right is to make the structured PvP fun to play, at least for me. It wasn't bad, it just didn't stand out.

I assumed "the pvp has to also be fun" was implied.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Joshmvii, when that exchange happened, I actually typed something up in your defense. I'm so glad I decided not to post it, and you came in and said something (mostly because it's exactly what I was going to say).

Because I felt the same way. SPvP was mechanically outstanding. It was the actualization of what I had always wanted out of an SPvP environment in an MMO. Then it got all bungled with terrible game modes and horrific maps. There's also some blame on the class system being... Less than inspired.

Mechanically though, that shit was smokin'!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.