As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CRT Monitor Losing Contrast?

cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I rarely use my family's Dell desktop (mainly I use this laptop), but when I did, recently, I noticed that the white parts of the screen looked greyer than they should. Also when the Windows default screensaver was on, the blacks looked pale and grey as well. I noticed that if there was only a small area of the screen which was white (i.e. a shrunken window), it was bright coloured, but if I maximised it, after a fraction of a second the whole area seemed to get grayer (but maybe I am imagining that part). I did mention it to my dad who said he had noticed the same sort of thing.

I fiddled around with the contrast settings but they are set to max, so, is this something that just happens to CRTs after a while, or is this fixable? I mean it's not so bad the monitor's unusable or anything, it's just a bit crap looking.

Thanks guys.

cherv1 on

• Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    I fiddled around with the contrast settings but they are set to max, so, is this something that just happens to CRTs after a while, or is this fixable? I mean it's not so bad the monitor's unusable or anything, it's just a bit crap looking.

It does happen CRTs after a while. How old is your monitor?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    About 4 years old I think.

Edit: Oh it's you, how is the backlogger coming along?

cherv1 on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    About 4 years old I think.

Edit: Oh it's you, how is the backlogger coming along?

Hmh... four years? CRT monitors should last longer than that before they start to lose contrast. I wouldn't honestly try fixing CRTs, as it is easy to botch without proper knowledge and can cause serious damage. Fixing CRT with professional is probably too expensive.

EDIT: About backlogger. Boomer has it on his server, but he immediately hit on nasty bug on registration screen. I have been little busy so I haven't been able to solve it yet.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Try blowing the dust off of the top and back of the monitor.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    OK, how will that help?

cherv1 on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Might be overheating. Well, dust actually just caused my monitor's screen to go almost completely white, instead of losing contrast in the black areas...

TM2 Rampage on