Options

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

• Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That gif is about WoW.. but fits nicely with LOTRO.

For those interested in joining in the Open Beta in pre-order this Friday:

-Go to www.lotro.com
    -Visit the Open Beta info section (links are plastered everywhere)
    -Download the Open Beta client (It's faster with the direct download vs the torrent link, for me)
    -After the download completes, install
    -Insert your pre-order CD and choose the REPAIR option

This will give you the client with Hi-res textures AND cinematics. This is currently the only way to get both right now, before you get your actual game CD after beta.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I uninstalled the game and deleted the installer...

I might think about coming back in a few I just found it insanely boring when I couldnt find people to hook up and quest with.

I found it boring, too.

Until I tried the captain.

Now I have shitloads of fun.

Re: the video above... is it only minstrels that can play music? I can't think of a class that would be a worse fit for me, but if there are multiple instruments that you can play with other people (a la AC2), I would cream.

They are totally revamping the music system

- percussion instruments
    - sustained notes!
    - customizable music library

sounds pretty beefy--can't wait
    No, at a certain level (10? 20?) you can pick up the instrument skills. They don't do anything outside of RP effects, but still, you can play.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote: »
    Aurin wrote: »
    Also, screw every other MMO. LOTRO is the winner.

I CAN PLAY MUSIC

(Not me, but wow.)

Dust in the Wind. Nice. That must've taken fucktons of practice. Provided it's not one of those gay-ass (and very bannable) scripts. I wish we were able to hold notes, though.

So like...does anyone know what time OB is starting on Friday? I've got the day off, so I can basically camp out at my computer all day if we need someone to try to register the Kinship to ensure that we get the name before anyone else does. Have we actually settled on "Tea Club and Barrovian Society"? If memory serves me correctly, it costs just upwards of 5 silver to register a kinship. I'd be more than happy to do it. At least that way we'd have it, and then we could get a list of character names together to be invited to join. Set up a meeting place at a certain time, etc. Sound good?

You won't get banned for running a music script. It's simply that they can't say "Scripts are not allowed.. except to play music..."

In any case, they are adding an in-game script feature for music where you can save songs and then play them by clicking a button. Thus eliminating the need for players to use scripts for music at all. And yes, you will be able to hold notes.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So, just to clarify because I cannot properly read and comprehend written text...to get in on Friday's beta, I need to preorder, right? Is there still time to do that?

Looks like I'll be ordering up a few half sausage/half Milk Bone pizzas to share with my dog...

I think there's probably still time to pre-order. And Milk Bones can be quite sustaining as a last resort, my friend. *shifty eyes*

GoodOmens wrote: »
    I'm thinking a Hunter, probably a dwarf because they rock.

They do, indeed.
    Nswyers wrote: »
    They are totally revamping the music system

What they need to revamp is the latency problem with the keys when playing your instrument. Hell, what they need to revamp is the latency problem in general. If this game doesn't get a LOT less laggy, I won't be playing for long. I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's the truth. There's no need to put up with a shit-ton of lag all the time.
    I'm voting for "The Barrovian Society"

Sounds good. All in favor of naming the official Penny Arcade Kinship "The Barrovian Society" say Aye.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Sounds good. All in favor of naming the official Penny Arcade Kinship "The Barrovian Society" say Aye.

I'm all for that name.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Aye

Veevee on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sounds good to me. I've pre-ordered, just waiting until Friday. Probably roll a Dwarven Champion or a Captain if I change my mind in between now and then.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Eye!

Esh on
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Most of the beta testers seem pretty positive about this game so I went out and got a pre-order. Hope to be in on Friday.

Edit: Oh and while I've mostly been a lurker around here I'd like to play in the PA fellowship. Aye to the name.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

:^:

Aye.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Aye. :^:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aye

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aye

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'd prefer the Tea Party myself, but I'm down.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So what server are we playing on? I would suggest NOT Brandywine.

Meneldor
    Windfola
    Gladden
    Silverlode
    Elendilmir
    Landroval

?

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    All previous talk before this thread was about Landroval. Its supposedly the unofficial non-asshole semi kind of RP server maybe.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    All previous talk before this thread was about Landroval. Its supposedly the unofficial non-asshole semi kind of RP server maybe.

Those all sound like positive traits to me.

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote:

I think I started that talk... it won the vote as the unofficial RP server, though a bunch of the biggest RP kinships then announced, surprise, they were going to Elendilmir. So my thinking was we'd avoid the RP elitists and get the casual RPer/mature non-RPer population. But it seems like more people on the forums are planning on Landroval than any other server. Gladden (has a few giant 25+ age guilds going there since no one else has indicated interest) and Silverlode (the target of everyone looking for low pop) might be the best targets for low pop. Meneldor is the other beta server and is being talked up as the PVP server.

Also, there's an article out implying there have been 600k pre-orders. That absolutely does not fit with only 7 servers so either the article is way wrong or there are going to be a ton of new servers come friday and the first 7 are going to be far and away the worst places to play.

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Barrovian Society it is then, eh? Sounds good to me. I can't wait. How will we choose a leader?

Nissl wrote: »
    Oddjob187 wrote:
    Also, there's an article out implying there have been 600k pre-orders. That absolutely does not fit with only 7 servers so either the article is way wrong or there are going to be a ton of new servers come friday and the first 7 are going to be far and away the worst places to play.

I heard that the information was that Turbine *expected* 600k pre-orders. I don't know what the actual number is, but I'm sure they're going to have a bunch more servers at some point.
    is it Friday yet?

Triple B on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    600,000? That's pretty ambitious. Would that make it third after WoW and Lineage 2?

captaink on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Apparently you can use titles to make yourself a son/daughter or father/mother of another player. Neat.

captaink on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Apparently you can use titles to make yourself a son/daughter or father/mother of another player. Neat.

Age play!

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Age play!

D:

captaink on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here is the article with the 600k number.

The author quasi-flamed me on the ign boards for questioning whether it is a good idea to have almost 100k people per server at launch, or make the vast majority of them change their plans come friday morning. Then he stopped responding to the thread when I realized he was the author and asked him exactly what they said regarding the 600k number.

Frankly I think they have maybe 100-150k preorders and the capacity to handle 600k by bringing their open beta servers online if needed.

I'm tempted to suggest that if there are more than the "founding 7" servers online on friday, we go on one of those, but it would be hard as hell to coordinate. Landroval is sure shaping up to be the second or third busiest server, though the player base should be better than average. Hmmm.

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aye on the name. And it can't be The Tea Party, because 90% of the people that read that will think we're referring to the band.

I didn't experience the crazy lag that some people report, but I know the laggy notes in the music system was actually a limitation placed by Turbine to decrease lag from people just wailing on the notes and spamming. We'll see how they change it up later on.

For official numbers on how many people are going to be joining Open Beta, click here. They're up to 278,000 people so far, and we've got 9 days to go before complete public access. Let the page load and watch the timer ticker at the top, it turns into a player count.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here is the article with the 600k number.

The author quasi-flamed me on the ign boards for questioning whether it is a good idea to have almost 100k people per server at launch, or make the vast majority of them change their plans come friday morning. Then he stopped responding to the thread when I realized he was the author and asked him exactly what they said regarding the 600k number.

Frankly I think they have maybe 100-150k preorders and the capacity to handle 600k by bringing their open beta servers online if needed.

I'm tempted to suggest that if there are more than the "founding 7" servers online on friday, we go on one of those, but it would be hard as hell to coordinate. Landroval is sure shaping up to be the second or third busiest server, though the player base should be better than average. Hmmm.

I really doubt they'll stick with only those seven. Even DDO had to open more servers at launch and it wasn't mildly as popular as LOTRO is shaping up to be. It would be nice if we could post on here Friday and decide on one of the new servers, since I think the initial 7 will be packed to the tits.

On Friday, everyone keep their eyes glued to the server list for changes and then post here with a server to join. We could even say "The new server with the name earliest in the alphabet will be our server" or something like that.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    NSwyers wrote:
    "Even DDO had to open more servers at launch and it wasn't mildly as popular as LOTRO is shaping up to be. It would be nice if we could post on here Friday and decide on one of the new servers, since I think the initial 7 will be packed to the tits.

On Friday, everyone keep their eyes glued to the server list for changes and then post here with a server to join. We could even say "The new server with the name earliest in the alphabet will be our server" or something like that."

I like it, though my experience is that the low pop/filled with refugees servers are going to be something near the bottom alphabetically.

I'd say 1-3 up from the bottom of the list, and skip it if it's a really popular name from the movies.

Nissl on
  • Options
    electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    this game will not garner more than 50 - 100 k at max. Its target is a NICHE market and its running pretty much on brand name alone here. None of what is featured in the game is revolutionary and I doubt it will bring those outside the lotro fan community. While the graphics may be decent most of the content is quite dull even for being lore related and I don't see many embracing this at launch.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    this game will not garner more than 50 - 100 k at max. Its target is a NICHE market and its running pretty much on brand name alone here. None of what is featured in the game is revolutionary and I doubt it will bring those outside the lotro fan community. While the graphics may be decent most of the content is quite dull even for being lore related and I don't see many embracing this at launch.

Respectfully, sir:

Are you fucking high? They've already got almost 300,000 (as of this posting.) Consider those who have never played an MMO before, and are complete and total Ring-nuts. This is the game that will introduce them to the genre. Consider those who have never played an MMO before and are looking to get into one just because. LOTR was the 2nd-most read book in the world in the 20th century. That's a hell of a lot of readers. You can bet safely that a large chunk of that reader-base is made up of gamers. Niche market, my ass. The source material alone will bring people to this game. At its peak, LOTRO will have its fair share of the MMO market. Probably around 2 million players max.

Triple B on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure this game can pull in a lot of people who aren't interested in WoW. The question is if it can keep them. Those people coming from the books, the ICE roleplaying games and the films, are likely to have some fairly high expectations on the design of the world and how it all looks and hangs together. They probably wont be too happy seeing "LFG MORIA", "LOL MAGES SUCK IN THIS GAME", "GIVE GOLD PLZ", etc.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that the game gets over 200k. My honest guess is 400k+ with a million possible if WoW doesn't fix its endgame and AOC/WAR are pushed back. Its real target, as I've said before, is anyone burned out on WoW who wants another polished casual questing game. That's a lot of people (including me - never read the books and only moderately liked the movies, gulp). Last time I checked open beta signups were over 300k.

You're not adjusting your expectations to the post-WoW market size. For god's sake, DDO was a big-time failure and still has 90k. LOTRO has far more appealing mechanics.

Nissl on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I shouldn't have read this thread, or listened to my friend talk about getting his pre-order. I shouldn't have looked at the site, or seen the pic of Gandalf. I shouldn't have read about the PVP region and what it can hold. I should have cancelled my WoW account before it was rebilled.

D:

Seriously being burnt out on WoW and looking forward to TBC to be the second coming of christ. I need a change, another sense of adventure and another world to have some bliss in. I wanna run through Moria, I wanna teabag Aragorn and shake hands with Saruman.

If they can provide content that isn't a Rep Grind or any of the various couple thousand of problems I have with WoW after a year and a half of play. I'd be in for some casual play and shits and giggles with friends.

The music has me sold.....

I hate you guys :(
    Thank you for saving me from WoW

Dwarven or Human Guardian, hoooooooo!

Also any pics/calculators/info on traits, specific ones or what have you. The traits page on the site pretty much explains everything I already knew.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The graphics are decent? They're better than anything I've seen released so far on the PC. Don't look at screenshots on Gamespot or some other popular site either, because those are from early beta builds. If you look at the game now on the highest graphical settings, you'll shit out your dick.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The graphics are decent? They're better than anything I've seen released so far on the PC. Don't look at screenshots on Gamespot or some other popular site either, because those are from early beta builds. If you look at the game now on the highest graphical settings, you'll shit out your dick.

It's so true. The game brings "gorgeous" to a whole new level. Last week, I was swimming up the Brandywine for a couple of miles, just for shits and giggles. I looked down at the riverbed, and the detail floored me. The rocks shone with the sun.

Another thing, in many parts of the game, white wildflowers grow in large fields. If you look at one of these fields under bright sunlight, they actually glisten. They glisten in the sunlight. They sway with the wind, as well, as does the grass.

Weathertop. I was walking through the Lone Lands, and I saw it from what seemed miles away. I passed by it along the Great East Road. It was about 1000 feet or so off to my left. It was the size of a goddamn skyscraper. The distance and scaling is incredible.

There are so many small details like these. To name them all would take hours. They are what make this game one of the top 3 best looking games I've ever seen. Turbine devs have outdone themselves.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It's so true. The game brings "gorgeous" to a whole new level. Last week, I was swimming up the Brandywine for a couple of miles, just for shits and giggles. I looked down at the riverbed, and the detail floored me. The rocks shone with the sun.

Another thing, in many parts of the game, white wildflowers grow in large fields. If you look at one of these fields under bright sunlight, they actually glisten. They glisten in the sunlight. They sway with the wind, as well, as does the grass.

Weathertop. I was walking through the Lone Lands, and I saw it from what seemed miles away. I passed by it along the Great East Road. It was about 1000 feet or so off to my left. It was the size of a goddamn skyscraper. The distance and scaling is incredible.

There are so many small details like these. To name them all would take hours. They are what make this game one of the top 3 best looking games I've ever seen. Turbine devs have outdone themselves.

I am saddened I don't have a new monster PC ready to roll for the start of OB. I'm sure it will still look nice, but damn.

Tomorrow is friday right?

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

I am saddened I don't have a new monster PC ready to roll for the start of OB. I'm sure it will still look nice, but damn.

Tomorrow is friday right?

Fuck, man, I wish yesterday was Friday.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    NSwyers wrote:
    If you look at the game now on the highest graphical settings, you'll shit out your dick.

Also, keep in mind the high-res textures aren't in the closed beta version of the game.

I wish my computer was good enough to do this. Wow.

Nissl on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So our time runs short. Are we still undecided on the server or are we officially going to Landroval?

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    NSwyers wrote:
    If you look at the game now on the highest graphical settings, you'll shit out your dick.

Also, keep in mind the high-res textures aren't in the closed beta version of the game.

I wish my computer was good enough to do this. Wow.

:shock: HO-LY shit. When I play (closed beta), it surely doesn't look nearly that nice. Nor will it when I get the high-res textures, because my computer just can't handle that much awesome.

Thanks for informing me so definitively that I need a new machine.

:cry:

Ravenlock on
  • Options
    electronicmajielectronicmaji __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Respectfully, sir:

Are you fucking high? They've already got almost 300,000 (as of this posting.) Consider those who have never played an MMO before, and are complete and total Ring-nuts. This is the game that will introduce them to the genre. Consider those who have never played an MMO before and are looking to get into one just because. LOTR was the 2nd-most read book in the world in the 20th century. That's a hell of a lot of readers. You can bet safely that a large chunk of that reader-base is made up of gamers. Niche market, my ass. The source material alone will bring people to this game. At its peak, LOTRO will have its fair share of the MMO market. Probably around 2 million players max.

Again Niche market. The LOTR fanbase is not as large as you make it seem and LOTR is not the second most read book in the 20th century. If anything it was probably something by shakespeare. Maybe the second most read book actually written in the twentieth century.

But the one major thing that points to this bullshit is these numbers are all OPEN BETA that means its free no ones bought the game and no one is paying monthly subscriptions....I doubt 10% of those will stay on...and in that case if they really get 1 million people to play the open beta they will get my predicted 100,000

again LOTRO just doesn't have the hardcore gaming community behind it...

if anything is the next big mmo its Grenado Espada.

electronicmaji on
    Top Weekly Artists
    Electronicmaji.gif
This discussion has been closed.