Options

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell, we're a big enough presence to influence the server community to a significant degree.

captaink on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    Hell, we're a big enough presence to influence the server community to a significant degree.

Especially in usage of the word "wang".

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just put in my new ram which brings me up to 2GBs. Now I just need tomorrow to get here. Anyone know what time the servers will be opening up?

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone know what time the servers will be opening up?

They indicated in the chat last night that they're deliberately keeping that secret based on past experiences launching a game. Which is understandable if a little frustrating.

It also sounded like they plan to add more servers right off the bat on friday. Also irritating; they should have the pre-order numbers and know how many to plan for.

Well, let's just say roll on Landroval for now. It's going to be packed and I'm sure there'll be plenty of PVP, and I don't want to turn off people who feel strongly about having some RP or not being the "PVP server." Since we're all capped for beta anyway, it won't hurt too much to reroll if necessary.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only person having problems updating? I launch the launcher and it gets to Connect on the updating when it fails and goes to retry. It keeps doing this. All the necessary ports are open, nothing is blocking it, I can't figure it out.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Am I the only person having problems updating? I launch the launcher and it gets to Connect on the updating when it fails and goes to retry. It keeps doing this. All the necessary ports are open, nothing is blocking it, I can't figure it out.

No, mine won't connect either.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Not that it's a good thing, but I'm glad I'm not the only person.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I'm not too concerned because it seems they aren't planning to bring up the game servers until tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had that problem earlier today, but was able to log in and update around 3 hours ago. Currently, nothing. I figure they're doing some sort of diagnostic check to be ready for the flood once the servers open. Of course, I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tick tock boys. Tick tock.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Servers should come up right around the time I get home from school tomorrow. Too bad I told my friends I'd go with them to some concert. Now I'll have to play Saturday.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm calling in sick tomorrow just so I can get a 26er of Crown Royal into me before the servers come up.

Well not really, but I will have a 26er of crown in my liver by noon while I do other things.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to work at 7pm tomorrow and then at 10pm on Saturday. All of Sunday and Monday off though!

Esh on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love LOTR with a passion and am well versed in the lore, but I don't see anything from these screenshots that could hold me in for long.

WoW got a huge graphics overhaul from its first closed alpha to the release game, heres to hoping the same happens here.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kungfu wrote:
    I don't see anything from these screenshots that could hold me in for long.

I guess I'm repeating myself from up the thread, but did you also take a look at these screenshots?

You're correct that there will be a major graphical improvement from closed beta to release, as the beta uses low-res textures to save space. The game is pretty beautiful if you have the guns to crank it.

*crossing my fingers that 2.5 GB ram will be enough to run textures on highest with a crappy p4*

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    WHAT?

Are you telling me that these graphics don't look good?

Daric on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shit, I ran into some serious trouble. I don't meet the minimum requirements. Everything is good except my shitty video card.

I have:
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset)

It came with the computer that my family bought without consulting me and I do believe it's integrated.

I need Vertex Shader Version 1.1 and Video HW Transform & Lighting.

Anyone know if this meets the requirements? I'm trying to go cheap here.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Shit, I ran into some serious trouble. I don't meet the minimum requirements. Everything is good except my shitty video card.

I have:
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset)

It came with the computer that my family bought without consulting me and I do believe it's integrated.

I need Vertex Shader Version 1.1 and Video HW Transform & Lighting.

Anyone know if this meets the requirements? I'm trying to go cheap here.

I'm guessing that should be just fine.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    I love LOTR with a passion and am well versed in the lore, but I don't see anything from these screenshots that could hold me in for long.

WoW got a huge graphics overhaul from its first closed alpha to the release game, heres to hoping the same happens here.

What screenshots are you looking at? The game is gorgeous if you can run it at even mid-range settings.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I hope my Geforce 6600 GT makes the cut without exploding. I'm still a way off getting my Geforce 8800 GTS seeing as it requires a new PC top to bottom.

Almost there, time to hit the sauce to make the night go faster.

Just so I understand it, Intel Duo E6400, 2 gigs of DDR2 and a Geforce 8800 GTS meets the minimum requirements right? Right?..... :D

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, don't worry about what people designate the server as on the forums, since 90% of the people joining the server won't have read the forums and the "designations" won't hold true for long.

Landroval is a good choice because:

It's not one of the original 2 beta servers, which will be packed.
    It's not a very popular name/term from the well-known bits of Tolkien's universe, so it won't garner too much attention right off the bat.
    It will start out in the middle of the server list before they start to shuffle them.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here are my specs, and I run the game on Ultra High (for those concerned)

AMD 4200+ Dual Core (2.21Ghz)
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram
    Geforce 7900 GT KO
    Win XP Pro

I've heard of folks with computers HALF the specs of mine who can run the game. Listen, there is an option to turn the graphics down SO LOW that it looks like EQ1. So, even if your computer is total shite, you'll at least be able to roll with the crowd until you can afford/chose to upgrade.

Graphics on Very Low profile:
    http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9498/screenshot00117zv3.jpg

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I updated the OP with the server selection and guild name, and I will update the OP with names of those in Pre-OB once it hits tomorrow.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »

Geforce 7900 GT KO
    Win XP Pro

I've heard of folks with computers HALF the specs of mine who can run the game. Listen, there is an option to turn the graphics down SO LOW that it looks like EQ1. So, even if your computer is total shite, you'll at least be able to roll with the crowd until you can afford/chose to upgrade.

Oh wow, that looks awful.

I'm running the same setup except with a 4800+ and a xt1900xtx. So beautiful.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Geforce 7900 GT KO
    Win XP Pro

Wow, that is insane. That looks worse than EQ1, and I ran that game on a p2 350 with a Voodoo 2 and 256 megs of ram.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    I updated the OP with the server selection and guild name, and I will update the OP with names of those in Pre-OB once it hits tomorrow.

"First, PA guild name is The Bovarian Society. Who is starting the guild? Dunno but I'm sure we will figure that one out."

AH! Nooo.

Barrovian Society.

We're not full of cows.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I'm into the sauce so things get blurry.
    Esh wrote: »

Geforce 7900 GT KO
    Win XP Pro

So I am playing EQ1 then eh? P4 3.2ghz, 1g ram, Geforce 6600 GT :(

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I'm into the sauce so things get blurry.

Geforce 7900 GT KO
    Win XP Pro

So I am playing EQ1 then eh? P4 3.2ghz, 1g ram, Geforce 6600 GT :(

You should be able to run it decently I believe.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and if anyone is having troubles picking out a name, here's a pretty decent Middle Earth Name Generator...

http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.php

Esh on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I'll be in on this. I update my Closed Beta account to a Pre-Order account and will be rolling a Captain sometime on Saturday (I'll be working Friday night).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone know where you can download the high-res textures still? The link I used to have was on the beta forums and has since vanished.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    dachish wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can download the high-res textures still? The link I used to have was on the beta forums and has since vanished.

I'd also like to know this as I don't want to have to wait until release to see the high-res textures...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'd also like to know this as I don't want to have to wait until release to see the high-res textures...

I'm not sure if it's true or not but someone posted on the old forum saying that they would not be releasing the high-res textures through download but only with the pre-order box :x

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'm not sure if it's true or not but someone posted on the old forum saying that they would not be releasing the high-res textures through download but only with the pre-order box :x

Tis the truth. The high-res textures come on the pre-order dvd, not via download.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was in beta and I ran this game just fine with an MX440.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alright can anyone find me the cheapest video card that will play this game decently? I think what I have now is a little bit better than the MX440 but I'm not sure.

Daric on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck, so I download the 4 gig installer and it won't fucking install.

Does it not work with Vista or something?

Edit: fixed it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Tis the truth. The high-res textures come on the pre-order dvd, not via download.

Right, they are on the pre-order DVD but they were also available for download during beta. Not sure if it was official, but they were available, and I wanted to get them again since I no longer have the download.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KungFu wrote: »

Wait, are we talking about these screenshots? ...What do you want them to overhaul? They're gorgeous! Unless you just find the design unappealing, in which case, no, I don't think they'll be changing that much.

EDIT: Beat'd by a page.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck, so I download the 4 gig installer and it won't fucking install.

Does it not work with Vista or something?

I ran the stress test on my machine:

Athlon 64 3500 2.2ghz
    2ghz 533mhz (?) RAM
    6800 XT/GS
    Vista Ultimate

Hit Medium-High settings with no slowdown.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.