Options

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

• Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woot, Turbine fixed my account! :) I like these guys already, that was speedy. :) Come oooonnnn servers!

Aurin on
  • Options
    CarpeDMCarpeDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nswyers wrote: »
    In Beta, "Down" simply meant that the servers are now up. "Closed" meant that they weren't coming back up.

The "Do not Enter" sign changes to an X, which means they're in the process of starting em up.

I always thought that Down meant the server was not running, while closed meant the server was running by administratively closed.

Man, I must really be bored waiting for these servers to open. Here I am thinking about the diff between down and closed. I can't imagine a more useless line of thinking. :lol:

BTW- now they're all Closed again. I'm hoping that means the updates are applied, and now they just need to flip the switch.

CarpeDM on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm down for this guys. Was in Closed Beta. Will join up as Taradran if anyone starts the guild.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guess I didn't mention a character name yet. If I go by my usual pattern (and I probably will), I'll be creating a bunch of characters, but my main and first one is probably going to be a human minstrel named Rindahl. I've been making him as a bard/rogue-if-no-bards in every MMO since The Realm (anybody else remember The Realm? Eh? Eh?), so I don't see why I'd stop now. ;-)

C'mon Landroval, open them doors!

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Is it afternoon EST yet?

How about now?

Aurin on
  • Options
    NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will be in as either Lycias Human Burglar or Jadith Human Champion, so lets kick some orc butt, or somesuch.

NinjaPirate on
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't post on these boards often, if at all, but I do read them.

I'll be there as well

Chrys Human Captain; lest the random name generator has something tastier for me.

-meh

Sherlok on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They....they all say "closed" again. :(:(:(

I've got a few errands to run that I simply don't fucking want to run.

The anticipation is killing me! :x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I leveled up a char to level 22 in Closed Beta, but I'm still excited. There are some very painful quests though I don't want to relive...

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    People are of course free to explore alternatives, however, I have set up a website with forums (and more software coming) for a Kinship within LotRO.

www.tychonia.com, for those interested.

Just hit up the forums or email me @ jeremy@tychonia.com if you want in.

This is both a fan site and a Kinship site, but the pertinent areas are clearly indicated.

Everything should be ready to go.

I'm obviously looking for Officers and other helpers to maintain things, it's serviceable but spartan at the moment.

Enjoy,

Jeremy/Quadrifrons

We shouldn't divide. Come and join the Barrovian Society.

Does this count as spamming? I'm considering grabbing a mod's attention...
    Jast wrote: »
    I leveled up a char to level 22 in Closed Beta, but I'm still excited. There are some very painful quests though I don't want to relive...

You don't *have* to do every single one, dude.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn. I was gonna roll Human Captain, but it seems that we've got a bunch already.

I'm gonna try a Hobbit Burglar too, just so I can talk about burgling things a lot.

Heh.

Burgling.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh yes, yes you do, if you want to get anywhere leveling up. Many of them are part of quest lines that give off massives amounts of xp... Grinding isn't fun in this game. In fact it's a waste of time. Quests are the only way to go. There are a lot of quests I do like, but sometimes they're in between the ones I hate.

Edit: Back in Closed Beta, I used to roll with a human burglar. Me and him kicked lots of ass, man we were good.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'll be playing a human lore-master, most likely to start off with. Though, I've already got five characters I'm planning on making right off, as soon as servers come up.
    Jast wrote: »
    Oh yes, yes you do, if you want to get anywhere leveling up. Many of them are part of quest lines that give off massives amounts of xp... Grinding isn't fun in this game. In fact it's a waste of time. Quests are the only way to go. There are a lot of quests I do like, but sometimes they're in between the ones I hate.

Right, except no. You can always move on to the next town and not only find shit-tons of quests along the way, but once you get there, as well. There are literally quests *everywhere* in this game, from what I've seen. I was only in CB for 4 days, and I passed on at least five quests. I was leveling up just fine.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    People are of course free to explore alternatives, however, I have set up a website with forums (and more software coming) for a Kinship within LotRO.

www.tychonia.com, for those interested.

Just hit up the forums or email me @ jeremy@tychonia.com if you want in.

This is both a fan site and a Kinship site, but the pertinent areas are clearly indicated.

Everything should be ready to go.

I'm obviously looking for Officers and other helpers to maintain things, it's serviceable but spartan at the moment.

Enjoy,

Jeremy/Quadrifrons

We shouldn't divide. Come and join the Barrovian Society.

Does this count as spamming? I'm considering grabbing a mod's attention...

See here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=18151

I don't think he's spamming, but the idea of making independent merchandise to sell? Not posting on the forums until 10 pages through the thread? Ehhhh....

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    There are a lot of quests, you're right For example I hit the Shire and found a good amount of level 12-14 quests there. It's just that the main areas for a human player is Combe, Archet, and Staddle from level 7-15. Bree quests send you all over the freaking place.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Brandywine is open...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I SEE GREEN! But Landroval isn't up yet... >.>

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh shit. They're all going up.

Esh on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, it's not spamming as long as he doesn't repeat himself over and over. Almost everyone here may be planning to join TBS, but this is an open thread for game discussion.

Wish you good luck with everything Jeremy.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bet it's the last one up

Sherlok on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    They're opening up the servers!

Landroval is last.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    4 servers up now. C'mon Landroval!

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sherlok wrote:
    bet it's the last one up

Give this man a cookie.

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Landroval is open! Go now!

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Laaaassst

Edit: Love the preorder ad still in there >.>

Also, Elven hunter named Aurin. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Elven Champion named "Rindae".

Look me up.

Esh on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nissl wrote: »
    Kungfu wrote:
    I don't see anything from these screenshots that could hold me in for long.

I guess I'm repeating myself from up the thread, but did you also take a look at these screenshots?

You're correct that there will be a major graphical improvement from closed beta to release, as the beta uses low-res textures to save space. The game is pretty beautiful if you have the guns to crank it.

*crossing my fingers that 2.5 GB ram will be enough to run textures on highest with a crappy p4*

Please put that beautiful link in the first page and show them off better. I scrolled the first post and couple of pages and every posted screenshot made me want to vomit.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Goddamn being at work. Still, I've got my laptop and lunch is soon. Very soon.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Off to bed for me now that I've made my character. Will be back on tonight sometime to hook up with the rest of ya. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dwarf Minstrel named Lorin

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    CarpeDMCarpeDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Race of Man (Female) Minstril Balaergul

CarpeDM on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Human Lore-Master named Edros.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hobbit Burglar Nissl.

Man, the newbie instance ran flawlessly. Gotta force myself off to work.

Nissl on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, after looking at those gorgeous screenshots, I've been compelled to look into this game, and it looks as if it's seriously improved from my beta experiences. It felt small, graphically inept, and overall lackluster when I played last year; after reading different forums, looking at screenshots, and overviewing the classes, LOTRO is looking like a sweet MMO to get into fresh.

I really enjoyed my time with EQ2 when it first launched, and this looks like an improvement upon all of the qualities exhibited in the EQ's and WoW. I have a few questions before I drop $50 on this bitch, though-

I'm running a 3.02 GHz P4, 2 GBs RAM, and an X1600 Pro 512MB. Will this game look as epic as it does in those screenshots? If I can expect to see that sort of beauty, then I'll go buy this shit right now.

Classes. I'm interested in Guardian and Minstrel. Is the Guardian one of those incredibly tedious tank classes that essentially encompasses "click, taunt, click, taunt, special attack, taunt", etc, or is it more exciting then one would generally expect a tank to be? Are Minstrel's combat-oriented and able to do legitimately useful amounts of damage, or do they stand back and sing EQ1-style?

Grouping. What should expect? I love grouping and hate solo play. The best times I've ever had in MMOs involves gathering a group of players and striking out into the wilderness in search of angry monsters to stab - is that sort of gameplay prevalent, or should I expect to spend my time alone or looking for an incompetent group to do a quest quickly and then break up immediatly afterward?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I made a human Captain named Beornhelm. I'll probably be on late tonight (to do the beginning part).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm playing right now. Name is Diavalos. I'l start updating the OP with names in a bit.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In addition to my Human Lore-Master called Edros, I've also registered the following characters:

Elven Hunter named Gilaniel
    Human Captain named Ederondil
    Dwarven Guardian named Gwolin
    Human Champion named Jacquelyne

These five are the characters I used in CB. I'm probably going to be adding more soon, though.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Pig DestroyerPig Destroyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Playing right now.

Hobbit Burgler named Arsis.

Pig Destroyer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It occurs to me that 'Elephant' is a completely legitimate Elven name.

jothki on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to be jumping in either today or tomorrow I think. Still room for more members?

Aoi on
This discussion has been closed.