Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Drawing Blind

13»

• TheSpyderTheSpyder Registered User regular
    the fucked up thing about all this commentary is that like, I just checked out Amy's comics, and a lot of them are pretty much about a woman dealing with all these feelings of isolation, depression--everything social anxiety really, so I wonder how she looks at how some fans view her from watching the show as this fucking shark.

Spman2099darklao
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    This one is pretty adorable

018.png

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
    mml007FalxBogartSpman2099Dark Raven X
  • ShpydirShpydir Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Lamp wrote: »
    Somebody please make a gif of Katie doing her finger-pointing dance at 2:15.

Bam: http://i.imgur.com/qKhF7b8.gif

Color graded, stabilized, and animated logo because it's not like I was intending to get anything productive done today. :/

Also...#TeamKatie

Shpydir on
    mml007JoshEckKochikensArbitraryDescriptorMyntThe_Glad_HatterTofystedethElfWordNotaCylonDexOZBugsinspaceLesStewart
  • El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Haha that's great. Mac is loving it.

• Kevin SchultzKevin Schultz Registered User new member
    I think one of the "issues" with this show (not a bad thing, though) is that all of the contestants have already passed the interview stage to work at Penny Arcade. As such, there aren't any real "villains", because a good villain is basically a self-centered, manipulative jerk. And really - one would hope that their HR department (ie, whoever did the screening interviews) would filter those kinds of people out at the gate.

More generally - they all meet a certain (high-bar) minimum for work ethic, artistic creativity, and social skills. Any one of them could be embedded into Penny Arcade for a year, and the experience would be positive for all involved. However, they've only got one position open, so they have to trim it down somehow. Reality TV show? Sure, why not!

There's a similar analogy for ultra-competitive positions such as getting accepted to Harvard or Yale - the top 10,000 people are all qualified and would do equally well, but there are only 2000 freshman openings: so how do you trim down the list? Well, you use metrics other than pure scholastic, and hope that works. But statistically at least, you'd be just as well off having a random lottery drawing for those 10,000 people.

And for the most part, that's what we're seeing here - I predict that whoever wins this competition will be in the upper half of the 12 candidates (if we could objectively judge them), but after that it's a crap shoot. They're all "good enough". Just some of them are slightly better at some things, on any given day.

CambiataMynt
  • JoshEckJoshEck Indianapolis, IN, USARegistered User regular
    I would recommend that anyone watching this show read all the artists' comics/explore their artwork. They all have great stuff and knowing what kind of artist they are makes watching this show a much richer experience.

When Ty was eliminated, I hadn't gotten to his comics yet. Then I finally read them. GODDAMN is that guy funny. I felt bad watching him get tongue-tied on camera, and I mistakenly assumed that reflected what his comics must be like. WRONG.

His pacing from panel to panel is ace and his jokes are pretty consistently good. His neuroses are on display for everyone and he exploits them at every turn.

makitori
  • Kevin SchultzKevin Schultz Registered User new member
    I think one of the "issues" with this show (not a bad thing, though) is that all of the contestants have already passed the interview stage to work at Penny Arcade. As such, there aren't any real "villains", because a good villain is basically a self-centered, manipulative jerk. And really - one would hope that their HR department (ie, whoever did the screening interviews) would filter those kinds of people out at the gate.

More generally - they all meet a certain (high-bar) minimum for work ethic, artistic creativity, and social skills. Any one of them could be embedded into Penny Arcade for a year, and the experience would be positive for all involved. However, they've only got one position open, so they have to trim it down somehow. Reality TV show? Sure, why not!

There's a similar analogy for ultra-competitive positions such as getting accepted to Harvard or Yale - the top 10,000 people are all qualified and would do equally well, but there are only 2000 freshman openings: so how do you trim down the list? Well, you use metrics other than pure scholastic, and hope that works. But statistically at least, you'd be just as well off having a random lottery drawing for those 10,000 people.

And for the most part, that's what we're seeing here - I predict that whoever wins this competition will be in the upper half of the 12 candidates (if we could objectively judge them), but after that it's a crap shoot. They're all "good enough". Just some of them are slightly better at some things, on any given day.

NotaCylon
    I would recommend that anyone watching this show read all the artists' comics/explore their artwork. They all have great stuff and knowing what kind of artist they are makes watching this show a much richer experience.

When Ty was eliminated, I hadn't gotten to his comics yet. Then I finally read them. GODDAMN is that guy funny. I felt bad watching him get tongue-tied on camera, and I mistakenly assumed that reflected what his comics must be like. WRONG.

His pacing from panel to panel is ace and his jokes are pretty consistently good. His neuroses are on display for everyone and he exploits them at every turn.

makitoriNotaCylon
  • duddlesduddles Registered User regular
    I wish that the show itself would do more to let us see the artists' work. So far we only get glimpses from the elimination challenge. I feel there have been a lot of missed opportunities to get to know the artists.

• GamercowGamercow Registered User regular
    Saw some of the artists at PAX East this weekend, but oddly not at their panel. Saw Monica running from someplace to someplace else, Ty waiting in line for the bathroom, a few people eating with PA folks, and sitting at their table next to the LRR folks. Of course, I used the information that I saw to come to a probably erroneous conclusion about who won, and I'm going to keep that to myself, because it is just wild speculation. It was very cool seeing them, and seeing how the interact outside the show.(Except for Ty, I only saw him waiting in a bathroom line, so not much interaction there) They all seem like wonderful folks.

Anyway, about this episode: I think that giving a quick description of the character at the beginning would have been helpful, like "nerd in a hoodie", "30's businessman", "Teenage girl with a pony tail", etc. I think that the characters may have been better described by someone who WASN'T an artist, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I'm glad to see that some folks were able to see the "true Graham" at PAX this weekend, and were able to see how entertaining and personable he can be when he's not directing attention away from himself.

makitoriDasilodaviNotaCylon
  • NavyBeanNavyBean Registered User regular
    I'm so excited for the next elimination round, I could spit golden coins into a fountain. If I had any coins, and there were any fountains.

NotaCylon
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    NavyBean wrote: »
    I'm so excited for the next elimination round, I could spit golden coins into a fountain. If I had any coins, and there were any fountains.

I know, but it's like a whole week from now! At least we get a Scott Kurtz episode on Friday. There's something to look forward to.

"Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    NavyBeanLampNotaCylon
  • NavyBeanNavyBean Registered User regular
    There's no way a guy is going to win this.

Spman2099
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    NavyBean wrote: »
    There's no way a guy is going to win this.

While I do feel that the best webcomic creators out there right now happen to be female, I'm not sure I agree with your statement.

• The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter Rogue Jpeg Jockey Registered User regular
    I wast't the biggest Amy-fan at first, but those Team Menace buttons she made won me over! (That and her comics, went through her entire archive today)

I do have to say that it's pretty awesome that you can get to know the contestants better by reading their comic archives. Really ads some depth to the show.

ozr4h81a0maq.jpg0lwmzl3bfzok.jpg
    Levin SadsadNotaCylon
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Gamercow wrote: »
    I used the information that I saw to come to a probably erroneous conclusion about who won, and I'm going to keep that to myself, because it is just wild speculation.

Thanks for holding back! You should let us know afterward whether or not you were right, though.

parmeisan on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Saw some of the artists at PAX East this weekend, but oddly not at their panel. Saw Monica running from someplace to someplace else, Ty waiting in line for the bathroom, a few people eating with PA folks, and sitting at their table next to the LRR folks. Of course, I used the information that I saw to come to a probably erroneous conclusion about who won, and I'm going to keep that to myself, because it is just wild speculation.

Just post your speculation in spoiler tags!

Currently doing a Mass Effect Andromeda let's play:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cambiata
    Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/bel.di.doll/
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Everyone of those artists at PAX is a hero for being so personable despite knowing full well what's to come in the videos. I was highly impressed with their level of professionalism.

I spoke to one artist who allowed some sadness to show all but briefly before returning to "the now" , which was the amazing experience at PAX they were having.

I'm sure it ain't easy!

NotaCylon
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I was definitely glad to briefly get to meet some of the artists quickly on either Thursday or Friday night on the Westin Mezzanine at PAX (the days blend together). Glad to see (most) of the group all together and having a great time together post-show.

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    MichyGeary wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    I think the thing with Amy is her voice isn't very expressive, and that's why people had been getting a negative impression. Her style of speaking is very calm and measured. Watching this ep, even as she breaks into tears there really isn't much modulation.

I imagine she's a lot different in person.

It's funny because, if anyone actually met or knew her in person, they would know that what people are classifying as "emotionlessness" on her part is actually just a quality of her sense of humor. The way she talks about and comments on things has a certain detachment because deadpan humor is funny. That has zero reflection on who she is as a person, nor is it a testament to a lack of compassion or empathy for her fellow competitors. She's a really genuine, amicable, compassionate person. The fact that she expresses it in a more reserved way than your typical reality show meat doesn't make it any less genuine.
    Reminds me of my chemistry teacher in high school. He had a very monotonous voice and a very dry sense of humor. You could always tell who was paying attention because they were the ones laughing. If you weren't really listening you wouldn't have known he was hilarious.

steam_sig.png
    Cambiata
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This one is pretty adorable

018.png
    Pretty adorable? This is fucking delightful.

Too delightful. I'm actually a little bit angry now from trying to quantify why I like it so much.

Thanks, Obama Amy.

CambiataSpman2099
  • GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    Of course, I used the information that I saw to come to a probably erroneous conclusion about who won, and I'm going to keep that to myself, because it is just wild speculation.
    Oh please, PLEASE email your reasoning to me. I would be fascinated.

Up front: I obviously won't answer any questions, but I love the idea of speculation. Maybe you're right? Who knows!

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    https://twitter.com/Graham_LRR/status/317119886390341633
    The PAX East #StripSearch Panel is online!
    Thanks @sarahmendiola for shooting, and the lightning fast edit!

duddles
  • NotaCylonNotaCylon Consultant - UN Las CrucesRegistered User regular
    Congrats to all the artists! It was a tough challenge. Yoga for dummies? Sign me up!

I feel that the artists that went first were at a slight disadvantage.. the other teams had time to plan a strategy

• MontyRohdeMontyRohde Registered User regular
    You know I'd be interested in what the viewer demographic for this show is. As in what ratio is the audience artists to not artists?

NotaCylonJoshEck
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Add one to the couldn't draw their way out of a wet paper sack column

steam_sig.png
    NotaCylonHewn
    Team Monica! Rawr!

• DVGDVG Registered User regular
    MontyRohde wrote: »
    You know I'd be interested in what the viewer demographic for this show is. As in what ratio is the audience artists to not artists?

I'm a "can kinda draw okay wishes he could find time for drawing more and had a very lovely afternoon daydream of what it would be like to be on this show but am probably not good enough"

So one in that column.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • tautologicotautologico Registered User regular
    It's interesting that there are always people who seem to go into things looking for something to hate. Go to the forums of basically any webcomic with a sizeable readership, and it's almost guaranteed that there'll be a number of people hating some character, because reasons. No matter if it's a comedic comic, there's always at least one hated character.

Same thing here, I don't think there's anyone to hate in this show, but some people just have to have something to hate. I like Amy a lot, since the start, she has something fierce about her, maybe that's what puts some people off but I like it, and when she cried in this episode I almost shed a tear myself. I'm sorry Monica, I know I said you were my one true love but I love Amy too, okay?

CambiataCortenPlus
    I illustrated a webcomic for about a year until my friend and I realized the story we were doing was more conducive to a monthly printed issue. Now it's about to go into print and I'm illustrating other comics, as well. So check one for the artist column (with the subtitle, of "Artists tempted to try out for the second season of this show").

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    While all the contestants are classy, I've always been a fan of Maki's comic Sci-ənce and as such am forced to wish him good fortune.

Although it's difficult to imagine who could be rooting against Katie at this stage. She's a tremendous talent and we've certainly got to know her, quite positively, a little better than the others.

cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    Maki's comic this week about marriage equality was delightful.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    makitoriHewnFyndir
  • makitorimakitori Registered User, Strip Search regular
    Thanks! It was really fun to draw :)

13»